Brosnan and Cage Join Polanski's The Ghost

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=39135

Source: Variety
November 8, 2007

Variety reports that Roman Polanski will direct political thriller The Ghost as his next feature.

Robert Harris will team with Polanski to adapt Harris' novel of the same name, published last month by Simon & Schuster, for the bigscreen.

The story centers on a ghostwriter who is hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister. He uncovers secrets that put his own life in jeopardy.

Most of the story takes place in an oceanfront house during the middle of winter.

Robert Benmussa and Alain Sarde will produce the film, slated to begin shooting in Europe next fall.

So, no Pompeii for Polanski next, but still a movie based on a Robert Harris-novel :)

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=46294

Brosnan and Cage Join Polanski's The Ghost
Source: MTV
June 24, 2008

MTV reports that Pierce Brosnan and Nicolas Cage will star in director Roman Polanski's political thriller The Ghost.

The film, based on Robert Harris' novel of the same name, centers on a ghostwriter who is hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister. He uncovers secrets that put his own life in jeopardy.

Brosnan would play the prime minister, Adam Lang, and Cage the ghostwriter.

Most of the story takes place in an oceanfront house during the middle of winter.

Robert Benmussa and Alain Sarde will produce the film, slated to begin shooting in Europe next fall.

Eh, Cage... Maybe Polanski can make him act for a while.

I just hope Nicolas Cage won't wear his damn wig in this one aswell. Looks horrible in National Treasure 2, Bangkok Dangerous and Knowing.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=46345

Tilda Swinton Boards The Ghost
Source: Variety
June 26, 2008

Tilda Swinton has joined the previously-announced Nicolas Cage and Pierce Brosnan in Roman Polanski's political thriller The Ghost, an adaptation of the Robert Harris book.

Variety says that production begins this September in Europe.

Cage will play a ghostwriter hired abruptly to finish the memoirs of an ex-British prime minister after the first scribe turned up dead. The ghostwriter's research leads him to uncover skeletons in the politician's closet that put the writer's life in danger.

Swinton will play the wife of the former prime minister (Brosnan). Her marriage is crumbling, and she falls for the writer.

Uuh, Swinton. :heart:

The concept sounds intersting and I like the cast. I am sure Cage won't let me down this time, because it all depends on who is directing, i.e. Polanski.

Maybe this time Nicolas Cage will finally try to act, as oppose of just grunt, or yell about bees like a maniac. This could end being good for him.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62548

2ibj7t0.jpg

Ugggh. Poster and DVD/Blu cover art designers need a lesson in Photoshop. Faces are getting worse and worse. I mean, McGregor looks like he's straight out of a PS3 game, which is either a huge compliment to game designers, or a rip on these artists.

Not to veer too much off topic, but I'm surprised anybody would agree to work with this Polanski guy after what he did to a young girl.

And the young girl has long become an adult and has forgiven Polanski. She has moved on with her life.

As for this, I haven't yet read the book. The movie is a maybe though.

^ That doesn't change the fact that he's still a sick **** for doing it in the first place. People like that make me sick.

No mention of Cage or Swinton. Wouldn't mind losing Cage though.

My guess is that Swinton pulled out due to another project interfering with the production. Or maybe she had a disagreement with Polanski about the story and left.

ugh limited released on the 19th :(

i have a feeling i wont be able to see this in theaters

Caught this tonight and was enthralled from start to finish. The movie relies on the great performances of its outstanding ensemble cast and the mastery of its director. Pierce Brosnan is great as the charismatic Adam Lang, the exiled British prime minister living in the U.S. who might as well be named Tony Blair. Ewan McGregor turns in a subtle, yet brilliant performance as The Ghost, the unnamed ghost writer hired by Lang to help write his memoirs after his first ghost writer commits suicide (psh yeah right). Kim Cattrall, who surprisingly can actually act, plays Lang's sultry head assistant. Lang's wife Ruth, played by Olivia Williams, absolutely STEALS this movie single handedly, though. She is THAT good. That's not to discount the mastery of Roman Polanski, however. His smooth direction builds suspense wonderfully and the general sense of dread he creates evokes classic Hitchcock movies like Vertigo and Psycho.

Overall, this movie is one big breathe of fresh air. It's been a while since I've seen a political thriller rely on great acting and direction rather than hammy action scenes and ridiculous plot points. Go see it.

I thought this movie was bordering on awful. Brosnan never was a very good actor, and he seems like he is struggling with every line he utters in this movie. I guess he tried to sound like Blair. The ending was truly hideous aswell. I do not understand the praise for this movie. Pretty much the same I felt for Up in the Air. What's up with these by-the-numbers bland movies getting such glowing reviews? Is it just me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"