Tom and Jerry returning to the big screen....... IN LIVE ACTION/CGI movie!

Sam Fisher

Heavy Meddle
Reaction score
TOM AND JERRY!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52143

Tom and Jerry Coming to the Big Screen
Source: Variety January 22, 2009

Warner Bros. is planning to bring "Tom and Jerry" to life as CG characters that run around in live-action settings, says Variety.

The studio-based Dan Lin, currently producing the upcoming Sherlock Holmes and executive producer on Terminator Salvation, will adapt the classic Hanna-Barbera property as an origin story that reveals how Tom and Jerry first meet and form their rivalry before getting lost in Chicago and reluctantly working together during an arduous journey home.

Eric Gravning is penning the script.

Warners owns the rights to Hanna-Barbera's slate of popular animated properties and has several of them in development for bigscreen adaptation. Those include Robert Rodriguez's version of The Jetsons and producer Donald De Line's Yogi Bear.

"Tom and Jerry" originated as a series of 114 animated shorts, produced by MGM's toon studio between 1940 and 1960, and won seven Academy Awards. New toons were produced after that, and Warner Bros. released Tom and Jerry: The Movie in 1992 as a feature-length toon

C'mon, really?

They already made one of these. They spoke. They Made friends with an adorable urchin. They... They made friends.

^Not live action though. Because every cartoon MUST be made into a live action movie.:yay:

Ok Jetsons I can see.. But come on Yogi and Tom and Jerry.... Next is Snagglepuss Live action...... Exit Stage left!

^Not live action though. Because every cartoon MUST be made into a live action movie.:yay:

Hehe! Very true. What do you think they're gonna do about Mammy Two shoes? Think they'll use her?

yea some of these cartoon characters should be left in animated form only some can work out great in live action form like a scooby doo, or flintstones, etc... Though i am still waiting for the day to see an actual live action jetsons on the big screen.

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooold it... Didn't we get just this same news a few months back, with Yogi bear instead of Tom & Jerry? :???:

It's a little too much, Warner...

EDIT: OK, I see Yogi is mentioned in the article :)

Like I mentioned a while back, if they want to do this as a 6 minute short to play in theatres, I would love to see that done. A full length movie...no.

I'm a little bit for this.. I mean I have been thinking for the past couple years now that Tom and Jerry in live action would be pretty cool.. Like i've always wanted to see a live action cartoon.. The Mask with its cartoon style effects was really good and imo if one cartoon could do it and make it work, it's Tom and Jerry.

However, I can see them doing it and messing it up.. As long as they don't talk then it would be ok.. but then, Warners won't do an 1h30 movie with silent characters.. so who knows.

Like you say Terry, if it was a 6 minute live action short, then that would be pretty sweet but a full length movie.. probably gonna get messed up.

Please don't have Tom & Jerry talking to each other.

it's weird how Warner Bros would pursue this when they already have the sadly underused Looney Tunes.

it's weird how Warner Bros would pursue this when they already have the sadly underused Looney Tunes.

I had an idea for a (live action) Looney Tunes film that had Bugs and Daffy kidnapped by an old black and white cartoon character, 'cos he was bitter about the success of colour and the popularity of Bugs and Daffy.. and then it was up to the 2nd tier characters like Wyle E, Foghorn etc, with help from a human character ('cos it's live action so it's go to have one) to save them..

that is a wonderful idea, Vapor. I like it alot.

that is a wonderful idea, Vapor. I like it alot.

Thanks. I'm trying to develop the idea as a script, along with several other ideas I have floating around.

I had an idea for a (live action) Looney Tunes film that had Bugs and Daffy kidnapped by an old black and white cartoon character, 'cos he was bitter about the success of colour and the popularity of Bugs and Daffy.. and then it was up to the 2nd tier characters like Wyle E, Foghorn etc, with help from a human character ('cos it's live action so it's go to have one) to save them..

Sort of reminds me of that Tiny Toons episode with the black-and-white characters being restored.

i really think all they need to do is to make new shorts with Tom and Jerry/ or Looney Tunes right before a movie; like the Goofy short that premiered before National Treasure 2.

Is this film really necessary?

not only that, but the violence will be watered down too.

And the political correctnes (is that a word?)

No blackface, no smoking... I think there used to be sexist jokes too...

Need to make a Jetsons film.

And a goddamn Johnny Quest film! No CG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"