"By The Goddess": The Official Storm/Halle Berry Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
LightninStrikez said:

No.

Actually, no it doesn't matter...at all. Why? Because neither Fox, Halle or any of us really give a damn. And that's a fact.

If it didn't matter, Halle would be back. They would just throw her right back in there. She's not. Why? Because there's a conflict on whether she's wanted. And why's that? Because the critics don't want her and the fans don't want her. I'd say our opinions count. As much as Halle fans want to believe that HALLE is the one holding up the proceedings, that simply isn't true. More than once, she has pleaded with the FANS to write Fox and have her reinstated. It must not have worked too well. And if Halle is such a box office draw, how come the only thing people talk about when it comes to Halle is IF SHE IS DOING STORM? STORM is the big deal here - NOT Halle! Halle NEEDS Storm. Not vice versa.

Several reports on this and other sites have said that Fox is keen on getting her back, and writing a script that will cater more to the character.

That's odd...the ones I've read say that the script has been written to drop Storm at a second's notice, if need be. Doesn't sound like she's a priority to me. And didn't Fox TRY that with X2? And didn't Halle not only fail, but fail even MORE SO? I gave her a pass for X1. I forgave her for X1. But X2? No excuse for that.

I see none of the other cast members being scrutinized this unfairly.

Wow, I wonder why that is? Could it be that the other cast members gave passable to good to great performances, maybe?

rattlerbrat said:
No.

Wow, I wonder why that is? Could it be that the other cast members gave passable to good to great performances, maybe?

I will never argue that Halle gave the weakest performance of the cast.

But I will argue that it was solely her fault, or that it is a testament to her acting prowess. There are other variables to consider, and too many around here refuse to look outside the box and just bash the actress for the hell of it.

i didnt think halle gave the worst performance... especially not in the last film! and i know a lot of people would agree. everyone loved her in X2, they gave her some cool little stuff to do. she is far from the worst actor in the x-men series

kittykatkr said:
everyone loved her in X2

Really? I didn't, so that kills your argument right there. Hell, the night I went to see X2, the crowd groaned and booed every time she came on-screen (which led to quite a bit of groaning). When she first came down the stairs, I dared to yell, "MAKE ME FEEEEL GOOD!" and the whole crowd laughed. If everyone "loved her" as you claimed, I would've had popcorn on my head.

And please don't make me start pulling up X-Men reviews with critics calling Storm the weak link. In fact, can we even find five reviews with critics saying she did a good job? I'm not saying it's not possible - I'm saying I'll be surprised.

Out of curiousity, Kit, if you don't think Halle was the worst, who do you think was the worst?

rattlerbrat said:
No.

That's odd...the ones I've read say that the script has been written to drop Storm at a second's notice, if need be. Doesn't sound like she's a priority to me. And didn't Fox TRY that with X2? And didn't Halle not only fail, but fail even MORE SO? I gave her a pass for X1. I forgave her for X1. But X2? No excuse for that.

Not so fast.

They are prepped to drop the character only if she refuses the role. They've made that crystal clear that they don't want to recast--so that's not an indication that they don't want Halle per se.

From what I understand Storm has a good chunk of the script currently, so it's obvious they are trying to do the character some justice. If Halle is wise, she will take the role, but if she doesn't it is still Fox's loss because Storm's fanbase is huge.

And the general consensus is that she vastly improved in X2.

.....responding to more edits.

i didnt think any of them were bad but i really thought halle improved in x2 from x1. i in no way think she is the weakest link. and i know not everyone loved her, but all of my friends and people i know who saw the movie did... and a whole majority. she may not be the best actress but she is far from the worst and doesnt deserve all the bashing. go bash paris hilton or something. :)

They are prepped to drop the character only if she refuses the role.

Riiiight, because all we're waiting for is Halle to say "yes". It's sad that the franchise is so concerned about not recasting that they're willing to let a mistake on screen for the third time. But it's cool, though. Every time Halle plays Storm, critics have a field day.

And the general consensus is that she vastly improved in X2.

If I run a mile in 15 minutes and then run a mile in 12 minutes...the bottom line is that I'm still slow as hell and need to get off the track. The best thign about Halle in X2 was Alan Cumming. He downright saved her ass.

rattlerbrat said:
No.

If it didn't matter, Halle would be back. They would just throw her right back in there. She's not. Why? Because there's a conflict on whether she's wanted. And why's that? Because the critics don't want her and the fans don't want her. I'd say our opinions count. As much as Halle fans want to believe that HALLE is the one holding up the proceedings, that simply isn't true. More than once, she has pleaded with the FANS to write Fox and have her reinstated. It must not have worked too well. And if Halle is such a box office draw, how come the only thing people talk about when it comes to Halle is IF SHE IS DOING STORM? STORM is the big deal here - NOT Halle! Halle NEEDS Storm. Not vice versa.

What are you talking about? There is no "conflict" that she is wanted. What the hell? Both Tom De Santo, Avi, Kevin Fiege and Lauren Shuler Donner have all been quoted as wanting her back in the role. And as I mentioned, Patrick, Ian and James have yet to sign on as well. Is there "conflict" there as well? :rolleyes:

And when did Halle ask for a petition to be signed?? I don't recall that being inspired by anyone but rabid fans. At that point Halle had seven films lined up, she was not concerned with the then-iffy X3.

I agree though about the desire to see Storm. Storm does not need Halle--she needs to be the Weather Goddess we all know, no matter who plays her. We want to see our character, and while we may not be satisfied with her portrayal, many of us will be damned if they cut her out.

\\

Responding to more edits.... :o

actually, if you keep running, you get your time down farther, but i dont think this is a battle i want to get into

kittykatkr said:
go bash paris hilton or something. :)

Sorry, but it's Halle hatred that keeps me warm on a winter's night! (Well, that and brandy and whoever I'm dating at the time. But when I'm manless and drinkless, the hate works just fine!)

]Oh, wow. We went waaaaay back in time to get those! Hey, you know what? If Halle was wanted, we'd have Halle. Period.

And as I mentioned, Patrick, Ian and James have yet to sign on as well. Is there "conflict" there as well?

There may be. There may not be. I have no idea. They may have other film projects to consider. They may not want to come back. But we DO know that HALLE is the one who has publicly pissed on her role, had caused conflict on the set, and held up X2.

rattlerbrat said:
Sorry, but it's Halle hatred that keeps me warm on a winter's night! (Well, that and brandy and whoever I'm dating at the time. But when I'm manless and drinkless, the hate works just fine!)

but why do you hate her so? :(

rattlerbrat said:
When she first came down the stairs, I dared to yell, "MAKE ME FEEEEL GOOD!" and the whole crowd laughed.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Now that's funny. ;)

It's also a classic example of how screwed up Singer's vision of Storm was.

Ororo is not a sex-kitten.

Nathaniel_Essex said:
actually, if you keep running, you get your time down farther, but i dont think this is a battle i want to get into

It's hardly a battle. She [rattlerbrat] and I have crossed paths before, and trust me this convo is tame compared to battles past. ;)

kittykatkr said:
but why do you hate her so? :(

Because I think she's a no-talent hack who takes food off the plates of REAL actresses (of any and all races), and I think that for someone who decries "racism!" to whoever will listen, NO ONE has benefitted from being black more than Halle Berry. Not to mention anyone who would commit not one, but TWO hit-and-runs is trash in my book. And don't get me started on her perpetual "I'm so pretty that I can't get a good man" whining.

Don't get me wrong - if he were in front of my car, I'd hit the brakes. And I'm sure she's a decent person. Anything that's related to Halle that's not about Storm, I don't care about. But that untalented loser ***** + my weather goddess = one pissy 'Brat.

If one has seen Queen, Gothika, The Dorothy Dandrige Story, Monster's Ball, Losing Isaiah, Their Eyes Were Watching God--really any of Halle's darker dramatic roles it's apparent that she is more than capable of bringing true fire to any role. It's what's she known for. Even critics will give her "sheer feistiness" in their reviews of the debacle Catwoman.

Sheer feistiness? Give me a break. She was as bland as she usually is.

The way Storm was portrayed thusfar in the films is clearly in the direction and the script. The lines they gave her were terrible, and her delivery of them was directed to match.

Bryan Singer, so I've heard, does not work like that. He was unhappy with her performance in X-MEN, and only slightly happier with her job on X2. Halle Berry shouldn't have to have her hand held through a simple role like this. Anger is played as anger, Halle, not confusion. But Halle apparently only wanted to make Storm into a dramatic role. She also apparently forgot that drama doesn't always mean "sad". The script is well written. It is written so that Halle Berry has ample opportunity to SHINE in this role. She doesn't, and it's her own damn fault. Bryan Singer didn't stand behind the camera going "Meek, Halle. Meek. No, not meek enough. I need you to be softer in this "angry/intense scene"" Give me a break.

While I'm not in the Hollywood industry, I've studied it enough to know that actors--while able to bring some creative input to a role--are mostly at the mercy of a director when it comes to what kind of vibe they portray. Halle is well aware of the Goddess/Warrior/Leader that Storm is, and that's why she's constantly been at odds with Singer to get the character to be more in line with the comic's counterpart.

BUt she wasn't apparently aware of it BEFORE X-MEN came out and fans bashed her. Then she ran to the comics. Before, she supposedly didn't bother to research the role she was plahing, a beloved comic book character with a rich history. She did the same thing with Catwoman. Went into a role (not beloved, but CATWOMAN has existed) almost completely without research.

You might stop to consider: From day 1 Halle has said that she "admired the character because she is a strong Black Woman."(direct quote) Now, Halle has always played "strong black" female characters convincingly before and since X-Men. So why the hell would she abruptly stop doing what she does so well ONLY in the X-Men franchise?????? The answer?

"Strong black character" is the most shallow definition of what Storm is that an actress can give. Especially an Oscar-winning actress.

Director. Writing team. Simple.

No, because the director and the writing team were familiar with the comics. It's all down to Halle Berry herself. Watch her other "strong black female" roles. Jinx. Catwoman. Even her turn in SWORDFISH. Wonder of wonders, she's the same, meek, bland thing she is in X-MEN and X2 for the most part. Could it be because while she has talent, she has very little range? DING DING DING DING DING!

I've read the scripts...and they called for this "meekness", which shows that either the writers, editors, Singer--or all of the above--didn't understand the Storm character in the first place.

Where's this?

One that has seen Halle in dramatic roles outside of Singer's will readily agree that Halle herself was "out of character" when playing Storm.

If anything, she was IN character, doing her classic Halle Berry turn. She did something similar in GOTHIKA, despite having a completely different character. And MONSTER'S BALL, when she wasn't screaming or screwing.

From the articles in which she speaks of Storm, there's no reason to think that she doesn't know what Storm is now all about...Before and during X-Men 1, she only knew what they told her about Storm...Wasn't it Bryan Singer who told the cast not to go reading the comic books so they can learn more about their characters or somethin?

Why would Bryan Singer say that?

Back on topic: there's a reason why Halle is the one of the highest-paid and most sought-after actresses in Hollywood. There's a reason why critics and audiences are drawn to her. And there's a reason why she is the most successful black actress of our time. Somebody out there likes her. And something tells me that it's millions upon millions of "somebodies" too.

Because she's hot, fun to look at, and easy on the eyes. It's that simple. That's ALL the general public talks about when they mention her.

What I'll never understand is why people are so "quick" to assign alterior motives to this actress whenever she says something positive about the "Storm" character?

Because of her comments and actions regarding it in the past. Remember how she almost held up/pushed back X2 with contract demands or something along those lines? Remember how she flat out *****ed about her role, and badmouthed it being a comic character?

I see none of the other cast members being scrutinized this unfairly.

That's because they're conducting themselves like professionals for the most part. And didn't walk through their roles.

Because I think she's a no-talent hack who takes food off the plates of REAL actresses (of any and all races), and I think that for someone who decries "racism!" to whoever will listen, NO ONE has benefitted from being black more than Halle Berry. Not to mention anyone who would commit not one, but TWO hit-and-runs is trash in my book. And don't get me started on her perpetual "I'm so pretty that I can't get a good man" whining.

There's that too.

Right....So Halle isnt a good Storm...because she wasnt good in another film.....
Halle isnt a good Storm....because she is a weak actress....

BS

Have you seen some of Famke's first films? Anna's? Hughs stage work? Just because they were utter bull doesnt mean that they arnt good in X-Men. The reason you are unhappy with Storm in X3 is because you have seen the 90's cartoon and the comics and have seen a powerful, strong Storm. Then you see Halle's Storm and its hardly anything like it. Thats not 100% Halle. Most of it is how the character has been written and how the character has been directed.
If Storm is written well and more like the comic books, like Halle wants' then we will get a great Storm and Halle is an the type of actress that can pull it off.

Halle has been Storm in the movie for 5 Years and if you are still moaning and groaning about it after 5 years then its time to get over it. The chances of Halle coming back for X3 are high....we'll know soon.

If I had time to pop in the DVD, I would. Does he say that anywhere on the DVD? I've listened to that commentary like 10 times, and I've never heard him say a thing about her being meek, or about directing her to do so.

Electric Wire said:
The reason you are unhappy with Storm in X3 is because you have seen the 90's cartoon and the comics and have seen a powerful, strong Storm. Then you see Halle's Storm and its hardly anything like it.

Really? I have? I am? Tell me more about me, please!

Halle has been Storm in the movie for 5 Years and if you are still moaning and groaning about it after 5 years then its time to get over it.

No.

Electric Wire said:
[
Have you seen some of Famke's first films? Anna's? Hughs stage work? Just because they were utter bull doesnt mean that they arnt good in X-Men.
Huh????
Anna won an Oscar for her first film. Hugh won leading awards for two of his stage productions and was nominated for the other two. In this instance you are talking utter bull.

Whoa all this over night! Come on get over it please, Halle has been Storm for five years no matter how much you dislike the woman or how she plays the character.

Arguements are fun to read!!

the only thing that matters is that halle will very probably be back and i'm very happy about it :)

Halle
The Guard said:
If I had time to pop in the DVD, I would. Does he say that anywhere on the DVD? I've listened to that commentary like 10 times, and I've never heard him say a thing about her being meek, or about directing her to do so.
I've never seen Singer say that to her either unless I'm not recalling that huge documentary in the X-Men 1.5 dvd.

The closest thing I've heard to that regarding the actors and the comics is Singer saying to them to use the comics as backround info but use the script as their guide.

BTW just one small favor if anyone can do it nicely... can someone photoshop blue eyes on Halle as Storm?

storm.2.jpg

xmenslidestorm.jpg

I always thought that it was a feature that they overlooked that really adds to the original look of Storm when her pupils are not all while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"