Guardians of the Galaxy CAN and SHOULD Ronan Return?

Hmm. . . I don't know. Leaving aside the whole issue of Ronan's characterization, I think he's on the far side of "credible return." Sure, he *could* come back, but it'd take something on the order of "literal resurrection". Its not like with Red Skull, or even Vanko or Killian, where you can credibly claim "no body no death".

I don't necessarily have to see him again in another Guardians film, but should another film somewhere down the line feature a heavy Kree element then aye, bring him back. I thought he was awesome.

Last edited:
Ronan was kind of wasted as a throwaway villain in this movie. It's a shame, because he's one of the most interesting cosmic characters, and it would have been wiser to keep him alive to properly show his change into a hero later on (and also to not portray him as being so downright evil). If it can be done in a reasonable way, then by all means, resurrect him and give the character justice.

The only time I really read Ronan was in the annihilation story and War of Kings. He was much more sane in the comic and a much better character than in the movie.

That accuser I'd have liked to see, but movie accuser can stay dead

Last edited:
For me, as a HUGE Ronan fan, I think they can and SHOULD bring him back. The guy is so important in Marvel Cosmic and Kree history, especially in the last 8-10 years, that it would be a huge waste just to kill him off after one movie were we barely got to know him.

There are a couple of ways to bring him back, have it revealed he was sucked into the Gem rather than destroyed by it. Or have it revealed Thanos transported him out at the last minute. Also have it revealed Thanos was manipulating him to do more evil things than he would do normally.

Ronan has done so many important things in the comics he needs to be in the cosmic MCU more. Ronan has had major parts in every cosmic event since Annihilation, he is just to important to keep dead IMO.

Also, didnt Lee Pace sign a multiple picture deal?

I just think it would be a huge waste of a very important character from the comics if they left him dead. And this is coming from someone who hates movie resurrections.

i liked his character. i have a feeling alot of these bad guys will show back up or something when thanos gets the gauntlet full.

Yeah, sure. Given how goofy this franchise is, I doubt anybody will lose any sleep over a resurrection.

I'd be down for a re-cloned Ronan ("Clonan"?), like kaijunexus suggested, although Marvel already gets enough flack for meaningless deaths. I kinda wish they had just turned him over to Kree authorities and had him banished to a remote planet, Khan-style.

I can't think of a comic-precedent for Ronan being a clone, or otherwise resurrected, but in the original Captain Marvel comics, Ronan goes a bit crazy, tries to overthrow the Supreme Intelligence, gets mind-wiped, and exiled to Earth with the mentality of a child (where he becomes a farmhand). Later, he regains his mind and tries to kidnap and brainwash Ms. Marvel for the S.I., since she represents a perfect blending of human and Kree (something the S.I. had previously tried to accomplish in Mar-Vell and Rick Jones).

Interesting...that is if Lee Pace signed a picture deal with Marvel... somebody is gonna have to do some research on that, lol.

Wouldn't mind seeing him in an Inhumans movie, considering that he is a Kree and his ties to Crystal. They could even just have Inhumans set before GOTG to avoid the whole resurrection thing.

Everyone signs multi-picture deals, it means nothing

Nah ! He was a great villain. If you think about it, Ronan's always been
a B-list Marvel villain, but a strong performance by Lee Pace, and a great movie, and all of a sudden he was a credible threat !

I'd rather remember him as a great villain who died a well-deserved death, being blasted to atoms by the infinity stone. No need to bring him back, there are plenty of other nasties out there for the GOTG to run afoul of .

cheers.

As much as i love the character, i think he needs to stay dead. Having everyone and their mothers cheat deaths will leave the franchise without any emotional stakes.

As much as i love the character, i think he needs to stay dead. Having everyone and their mothers cheat deaths will leave the franchise without any emotional stakes.
Pretty much this. I'd personally love to see Ronan again, and wish that they hadn't killed him, but I'm afraid that for the sake of the MCU's sanity and consistency, he's probably better off staying dead. :(

But I'd still like to see him again...

I voted yes because I think he was an interesting character who didn't get the story/development he deserved. I'm always up for bringing back a character like that.

That being said, it's dependent on him adding to the story and not being there taking up space, as well as Marvel willing to do him the justice and develop his character more. If he's going to be resurrected, it needs to be worth it.

I do agree with people regarding characters coming back from the dead in movies in general being bad, but in this case Ronan is just too important to leave dead IMO.

The guy has been a major player in EVERY cosmic event since Annihilation in the comics, surely they have more plans for him than one appearance? At least I hope so.

I'm kind of effy on both ways...I mean, if he's worth being brought back to life, great. If not, then I'd rather he just stay dead.

^If you know the character from the comics you know he is worth bringing back, so much unexplored potential in this. He is a really important Kree figurehead in the comics, hell he led the whole Kree race before giving the throne up to Blackbolt.

Like I said in other posts, Im not that familiar with the Guardians of the Galaxy comics. So...what you just posted was quite interesting...

To me, Ronan had this commanding presence about him that I liked...gave me chills. And I wanted to see more of that and what he could do.

Like I said in other posts, Im not that familiar with the Guardians of the Galaxy comics. So...what you just posted was quite interesting...

To me, Ronan had this commanding presence about him that I liked...gave me chills. And I wanted to see more of that and what he could do.

Ah right sorry, not been on the boards for about 10 days so not kept up with everything. Ronan in the comics is amazing, he has had a big role in every major cosmic event of about the last 8 years and is a big thing to the Kree.

He has so much potential as a movie character, in the comics he was originally a bad guy as well, but he is a good guy now, though with some shades of grey, he still does questionable things, but he is an amazing character and deserves to come back.

Ronan has a 90% chance to return for Inhumans. Infact, I'd say all the good Inhuman stories need him. Not only is Ronan socially and politically one of the most important kree out there, he's also married to the Inhuman royal family by way of Crystal. He's basically the bridge between the kree and their creation, the Inhumans.

Didn't he say something about not being mortal? They could bring him back if they wanted, I surely hope he shows up in the sequel. Judging from the posts and reactions, he's a pretty important character.

Marvel has been bringing back their supposedly dead heroes, such as Coulson. I hope they will do the same for Ronan.

I prefer characters to stay dead if they die. But if he's 'brought back' somehow then I'd prefer if the real Ronan is still alive and in stasis and they are cloning from the real him.

It'd be funny if someone frees him thinking this dude will want revenge and finds out (the hard way) he nominated himself to be cloned hehehe

Shouldn't threads like these be avoided until the movie has opened everywhere?
Sure most of us have seen it multiple times, and shame on people who could have seen it and haven't, but still sort of a big spoiler no?

To answer the thread, I would want him back but unlike the Red Skull there wasn't much ambiguity to his faith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"