The Winter Soldier Captain America is getting a sequel.......Already

Ant Man is happening for sure. I would argue that the "general public" didn't care about Thor, or even Iron Man, so that doesn't really matter if the movie is good.

I wouldn't go that far, Thor & Iron Man are alot more popular than Black Panther, Antman, and Nick Fury.

Whoa whoa! back up there, do we really need a Black Panther, Nick Fury and Ant-Man flick?

Does the general public even care for these properties? lets not get too ahead of ourselves, I mean next I'll be hearing rumors of a Namor film.

You're questioning whether we need a Black Panther, Nick Fury, or Ant-Man film but you didn't say anything about War Machine's film?

Seriously all those other heroes are fairly unique individuals and are deserving of their own films eventually, but War Machine? Really?

Last edited:
Lets stop feeding the Trolls how about that. Starve them out and move on. Enough said.

They troll to piss us off and want us to get off topic.

Sooooo anyway. How about that Cap movie huh!?

I could see Cap2 being a pure movie of him trying to fit in modern times/doubting his abilities to lead the Avengers and wishing hed never been thawed to begin with.

The Avengers cartoon does well to show this. Also with him trying to fit in we can have random flashbacks say when he looks at his shield/and old photo/ what have you, but to have an entire movie baes on flashbacks like a Saving Private Ryan kinda deal I dont think would work too well.

Like said before have your Origins movie and move on :)

I'm assuming we'll have to see the immediate acclimating in Avengers (MAYBE at the end of CATFA). My guess is he'll be too busy in Avengers to truly settle in so that would be a good theme for the sequel.

I think his personal arc in the sequel should be where he explores how the world has changed, has some demons from the past show up to haunt him but overcomes it and strides confidently in the here and now by the end, ready to leave the past in the past. Thats just his personal journey taking place during the main action and plot though.

Zemo would be the obvious choice, and a good one. Maybe throw MODOK in there as well (changed to not look ridiculous in live action of course). Maybe even hint at Winter Soldier, but save him for the third film. Plenty of demons possible with HYDRA that could come back to confront him.

If Hydra is not used as the main villain in The Avengers then Cap II would be a good time to really reintroduce them to the audience as the modern version too. Just seems like a good fit without knowing their role in Avengers.

I wouldn't go that far, Thor & Iron Man are FAR more popular than Black Panther, Antman, and Nick Fury.

All the Marvel Studios movies so far are A listers, comics wise anyway. I would argue that only Spiderman, Hulk and Captain America were very well known to the non-geek/comic crowd though, till the movies started coming out. Throw Superman and Batman in there and thats probably the only comic characters period that nearly everyone knew something about even before the movies.

We will certainly see some B lister movies before long.

All the Marvel Studios movies so far are A listers, comics wise anyway. I would argue that only Spiderman, Hulk and Captain America were very well known to the non-geek/comic crowd though, till the movies started coming out. Throw Superman and Batman in there and thats probably the only comic characters period that nearly everyone knew something about even before the movies.

We will certainly see some B lister movies before long.

I don't think Captain America is nearly as well known as Hulk, Spider-Man, Batman, or Superman (but he's still pretty well known).

Wolverine is also another very popular superhero with the "general audience" as well.

Last edited:
I don't think Captain America is nearly as well known as Hulk, Spider-Man, Batman, or Superman (but he's still pretty well known).

Wolverine is also another very popular superhero with the "general audience" as well.

I would agree. In terms of general public knowledge, Cap, while having some standing with the general audience, isn't too high. But that's simply because of his lack of exposure. We haven't had a major motion film, cartoon series, or even video game based on the character in over ten years. The most exposure the general public got to Cap was when the newspapers ran some quick blurbs about him getting killed a few years ago.

Wolverine was borderline before the X-Men movies. He didn't really blow up till then.

Captain America is such a cultural cliche to many that almost everyone at least recognized who it was, even if they didn't know much about the actual character. I agree that he's the least well known of the ones I mentioned above though. He just ticks the historical "iconic" box. Theres a reason the major news networks had stories of his death a few years back.

The Sleeper story line from Tales of Suspense would make a good Cap sequel...

Wolverine was borderline before the X-Men movies. He didn't really blow up till then.

I partly agree though to the younger generation who grew up with the X-men animated series Wolverine was the most awesome part of that show.

I partly agree though to the younger generation who grew up with the X-men animated series Wolverine was the most awesome part of that show.

Edit: Yeah, everybody I new back in those days knew who Wolverine was.

Last edited:
Really? It was pretty big where I lived, though not as big as Pokemon, but as big as Spider-man TAS and Batman TAS. Everyone my age watched that show.

Yeah, the X-Men cartoon is my best friend's favorite cartoon of old.

Yea, that was the s**t back in the day and I was a teenager. Always loved the X-Men and Wolverine since I was a small kid. I remember pretending to be Wolverine in grade school.

I also think thats an interesting divide in the fanbase as well. You really have 3 distinct groups. The Comic fans, the cartoon fans, and the movie fans. Most like ALL of them but the one that actually "started" you on the X-Men seems to color your view of the stories and characters.

Though Wolverine is VERY popular, I still wouldn't put him in that "first" group I listed above for the general audience. Even now he's just outside those guys IMO. They just have about 30+ years of exposure during the golden age on him.

Last edited:
Really? It was pretty big where I lived, though not as big as Pokemon, but as big as Spider-man TAS and Batman TAS. Everyone my age watched that show.

I know that's what I'm saying, I didn't know anybody who DIDN'T know who Wolverine was back then. Meaning everybody I knew had a knowledge of who Wolverine was.

I know that's what I'm saying, I didn't know anybody who DIDN'T know who Wolverine was back then. Meaning everybody I knew had a knowledge of who Wolverine was.

I'm sure your right for that age group, but before that cartoon no one knew anything about him unless they had read the comic. I'm talking big picture general audience. Everyone.

Ah, my mistake. I must've read your post wrong.

I'm sure your right for that age group, but before that cartoon no one knew anything about him unless they had read the comic. I'm talking big picture general audience. Everyone.

Yeah, you're right about that.

But in terms of US only, he's a huge character. His shield/logo is known by many across the US and is up there with the Superman and Batman logos. Captain America has a rich history. Just becuase he hasn't had a successful movie or tv show doesn't mean he's not known by many people.

But the big picture general audience are the people who grew up with that show. It came out almost 20 years ago. So whether you were young like myself or a teen who would enjoy a show like that by the time the movie came out you were anywhere from highschool age to around 30. The main and target audience of any blockbuster let alone a comicbook. The reason he was the focus is because he was the star of the cartoon

Ah, my mistake. I must've read your post wrong.

Yeah, you're right about that.

But in terms of US only, he's a huge character. His shield/logo is known by many across the US and is up there with the Superman and Batman logos. Captain America has a rich history. Just becuase he hasn't had a successful movie or tv show doesn't mean he's not known by many people.

Thats what I meant. He's probably the least well known of the "Iconic" comic book characters as the only one without a major series or movie, but he's up there with them. People who have never read a comic or saw a cartoon probably at least knows who Cap is and could recognize the Shield.

target audience

Thats certainly true. Which is why I said "everyone". To me the GA is different from the "target audience". I include everyone in the GA category, not just the target demographics. From the 90's on most everyone at least knows who Wolverine is.

The difference is, from the 40's-50's through 2011, most everyone at least knows who Captain America is. Its not hard to see he's in another league, just as much an Icon as a character. He would have been recognized by every "target" audience since the 50's.

Speaking of iconic weapons, Thor's hammer is also very popular and "iconic" (it's more popular than Thor himself)

Speaking of iconic weapons, Thor's hammer is also very popular and "iconic" (it's more popular than Thor himself)

Thor is odd in the "popularity" department. Theres so much cross recognition from the mythology. The name is VERY well known, but its hard to gauge how much of that is the comic version.

No doubt that Mjolnir is up there with Excaliber as one of the greatest weapons of myth and legend. Its definitely MY favorite. My first D&D character back in the day was a Cleric of Thor :woot:

Thor is odd in the "popularity" department. Theres so much cross recognition from the mythology. The name is VERY well known, but its hard to gauge how much of that is the comic version.

No doubt that Mjolnir is up there with Excaliber as one of the greatest weapons of myth and legend. Its definitely MY favorite. My first D&D character back in the day was a Cleric of Thor :woot:

I think Thor's more known as a mythological god than comic book character, you can go on youtube and see tons of "why isn't Thor fighting Vikings" or "why isn't Thor dressed like a Viking" type comments.

But like they say, "no publicity is bad publicity" so alot of people who only knows him from myths are going to support the movie as well. That's why I have to disagree when people say he isn't popular because it doesn't really matter which "Thor" is more popular, since the GA doesn't know the difference.

Last edited:

The Buzz for the Thor film is split. Some people are excited, while others are pissed because they wanted Thor to go on a viking quest. Some people still aren't getting that this isn't the Thor from Norse Mythology, which is why people are complaining about Heimdall being black (and aren't comic book people).

Honestly, they should market this film as Marvel's Thor. :o

And Captain America did have two tv movies and a feature film. All of which we never speak of. :oldrazz:

The Buzz for the Thor film is split. Some people are excited, while others are pissed because they wanted Thor to go on a viking quest. Some people still aren't getting that this isn't the Thor from Norse Mythology, which is why people are complaining about Heimdall being black (and aren't comic book people).

Honestly, they should market this film as Marvel's Thor. :o

And Captain America did have two tv movies and a feature film. All of which we never speak of. :oldrazz:

Yeah, Marvel should make it more clear that this is their version of Thor because obviously people don't understand that this isn't Norse mythology's Thor. I think CelticPredator should make a kickass video about how it's based on the Marvel version :cwink:.

This movie is going to be Cap's big breakout film though, can't wait for the new trailer this friday :cap:

They probably should have called it The Mighty Thor or Marvel's Thor in the title like they did with Cap to make it more marketable if people getting confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"