The Dark Knight Rises Catwoman Casting Thread [Merged x6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's because we all know what Jolie would be like, it's the Catwoman we can all see already, is that a bad thing? That depends on where you sit, if you're content with what's been done before, then Jolie is your girl, if you're bored at seeing her do the same thing again and again, then you want someone fresh who can perhaps give a different spin on the character.
Again, I bring up the BB cast. Most were satisfied with all the performances, were they not? And who was the only one that went against their typical role? Oldman. That's one out of like 7. Worked out fine.

I couldn't give a damn if part of her performance was to be expected, frankly because that's exactly what I expect of the character. This goes for Caine as Alfred, and Bale as Bruce. Absolutely no one here can honestly say their minds were blown by how those 2 approached their characters. But did that matter? Of course not.

There's only so many ways you can play a sexy cat burglar who dips on the side of good and bad. The role doesn't nearly provide the variance that say, Joker does.

Jolie MUST not be Catwoman, people liking her is blinding them to the fact that she doesn't fit the part beyond the big boobs.:o
Yup, that's exactly it.

To be fair, there are very few characters that are actual "types". Most characters are just normal people, so you cant say that any of the actors are really typecast.

Too old? She's a year older than (34) that's a fact? right :whatever:

And the fact she looks too old.:o
You are the czar of "Right".

To be fair, there are very few characters that are actual "types". Most characters are just normal people, so you cant say that any of the actors are really typecast.
You can most definitely categorize many actors. Their behaviors and mannerisms tend to bleed through their roles.

Find me anything where Caine has played a character anything like Alfred.
Is that a joke? Caine did nothing in that role that wasn't vastly different from all his others. His lines dictated a fatherly presence, but that was because of the script. Not due to him.

Jolie isn't too old, but she's starting to look older than she is, I get the feeling she's gonna be one of those people who doesn't age very well.

You are the czar of "Right".

General SHH etiquette indicates you should use the :dry: when using sarcasm.

Is that a joke? Caine did nothing in that role that wasn't vastly different from all his others. His lines dictated a fatherly presence, but that was because of the script. Not due to him.

Somehow I must of missed the part where he was chasing tail like he does in every other film he's in.

I said looks too old not is too old, though she probably is too old as well, I mean who the hell wants a (nearly) middle aged Catwoman
Yes, like that 34 year old Pheiffer in Batman Returns. Gosh, what a travesty. Practically a grandma, that one. :o

Somehow I must of missed the part where he was chasing tail like he does in every other film he's in.
I'm just gonna assume the argument completely flew over your head.

I said looks too old not is too old, though she probably is too old as well, I mean who the hell wants a (nearly) middle aged Catwoman

A middle age actor shouldn't play Batman then. :o

To me Batman & Catwoman are same age or Bruce is older. unless you want 20+year olds actress' playing Catwaman

Yes, like that 34 year old Pheiffer in Batman Returns. Gosh, what a travesty. Practically a grandma, that one. :o

The difference is Pfeiffer didn't look middle aged Jolie does and she will look even worse in 3 years + down the line when the third film will be filmed.

I'm just gonna assume the argument completely flew over your head.
Fine give me anything where Caine has played a character with any of Alfred's traits if you're so confident that you feel you have any grounds to be a condescending jackass.

A middle age actor shouldn't play Batman then. :o

To me Batman & Catwoman are same age or Bruce is older. unless you want 20+year olds actress' playing Catwaman

Bruce SHOULD be older than Selina by about 7 years if not they would have a very different dynamic.

The difference is Pfeiffer didn't look middle aged Jolie does and she will look even worse in 3 years + down the line when the third film will be filmed.
Have you SEEN her recent pics? I don't know how in the world you can say she looks too old for the role. Selina and Bruce have always been around the same age, and Jolie at the very least matches Bale in appearance and age.

Fine give me anything where Caine has played a character with any of Alfred's traits if you're so confident that you feel you have any grounds to be a condescending jackass.
I'm being condescending? How else am I supposed to respond to that sarcastic post you made? You clearly did miss the point or were trying to argue for no reason.

It was the equivalent of saying Neeson's role in SW and BB weren't similar because you don't remember Neeson wielding a lightsaber or training a prepubescent boy. I mean really, you'd have to try to not see the similarities in how he portrayed the role.

As for Caine, off the top of my head; Miss Congeniality, Prestige, and Cider House Rules. The last time I remember Caine putting an effort to play a different type of persona was in Children of Men.

There's a difference. Catwoman as a character is very simular to many of Jolie's roles. Asskicker, looks hot, wears black leather. While Caine for example just act simular to some of his previous roles. Alfred isnt a deep role. SHe should just be believable as a father figure and speak with a english accent.

If mid-thirties is 'nearly middle aged' then I want a 'nearly middle aged'. The mid-thirties is the usual age when someone is in their prime. But why would they cast a 'nearly middle aged' guy for Batman?

There's a difference. Catwoman as a character is very simular to many of Jolie's roles. Asskicker, looks hot, wears black leather.
Let me ask you this; is there some sort of radically different approach to the sexy and dangerous female that we haven't seen yet? At least compared to the type of performance we'd "expect" from Jolie? Would casting some of the recent fan-favorites like Keri or Marion, yield such an amazingly different performance in how Catwoman (not Selina) portrays herself?

This argument suits Joker much more than it would Catwoman. There are SO many ways you can portray a murderous psycho clown. You can not say the same for the alluring cat burglar. They're not even on the same level at all.

What we SHOULD be worried about, is how SELINA is going to be played. Now that, I can see an argument of not wanting to tread old ground. But as everyone has already pointed out, Jolie is only similar to Catwoman. There's a whole 'nother side to this character than the sexy girl with a cat mask. As someone pointed out earlier, Jolie can act her ass off if she wants to, moreover if the role is written very well.

I'm really dumbfounded as to why that argument is being brought up all the time. Need I mention that Ledger and Oldman were the only ones cast against their type?

This thread goes in circles every few months. :(

That makes two if us.

You might as well close this thread since people like me not allowed to dream. or say opinions about it.

I fell ya bro. :csad:

It's because we all know what Jolie would be like, it's the Catwoman we can all see already, is that a bad thing? That depends on where you sit, if you're content with what's been done before, then Jolie is your girl, if you're bored at seeing her do the same thing again and again, then you want someone fresh who can perhaps give a different spin on the character.

How do you KNOW what she's be like? She could total surprise us.

Find me anything where Caine has played a character anything like Alfred.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. :woot:

There's a difference. Catwoman as a character is very simular to many of Jolie's roles. Asskicker, looks hot, wears black leather. While Caine for example just act simular to some of his previous roles. Alfred isnt a deep role. SHe should just be believable as a father figure and speak with a english accent.

Batman as a character is very simular to many of Bale's roles and it didn't hurt him.

:huh:

Batman as a character is very simular to many of Bale's roles and it didn't hurt him.

:huh:
I dont agree. Most of the biggest Christian Bale movies(atleast what Ive seen), he is playing killers, and sometimes insane murderers and villians.

Let me ask you this; is there some sort of radically different approach to the sexy and dangerous female that we haven't seen yet?At least compared to the type of performance we'd "expect" from Jolie?
Yeah, probably. Hope so, because in my opinion these are the roles Jolie does worse
Would casting some of the recent fan-favorites like Keri or Marion, yield such an amazingly different performance in how Catwoman (not Selina) portrays herself?

This argument suits Joker much more than it would Catwoman. There are SO many ways you can portray a murderous psycho clown. You can not say the same for the alluring cat burglar. They're not even on the same level at all.
It might suit the Joker more, but I think it suits Catwoman as well. Most of the characters in the movies are normal people. And they should be portrayed with subtlety. And in sucha case its very easy that your perfromance isnt that different from some of your others. You dont change your looks, your voice or accent. Its not necassary for a character like Alfred or Rachel.

Catwoman is a character that you can do alot with. I prefer to not knowing what to expect. And I prefer someone like Keri or Marion. Who in my opinion are better actresses than pretty much all actors suggested here.

Yeah, probably. Hope so, because in my opinion these are the roles Jolie does worse.
The point of the question was so you could elaborate, if your answer was a yes. :o

It might suit the Joker more, but I think it suits Catwoman as well. Most of the characters in the movies are normal people. And they should be portrayed with subtlety. And in sucha case its very easy that your perfromance isnt that different from some of your others. You dont change your looks, your voice or accent. Its not necassary for a character like Alfred or Rachel.
I never said that playing Selina would be in the same vain as playing a normal character like Rachel, Alfred, or Fox. I know there are subtleties that are required because of her complexity. It still doesn't change the fact that when it comes to Catwoman, there's not much a degree of variance in portraying that side of the character. Just take a look at ALL the incarnations of her in the media, outside of the comics. They're all practically played the same way, and that's not a result of copying each other or lack of originality.

Catwoman is a character that you can do alot with. I prefer to not knowing what to expect. And I prefer someone like Keri or Marion. Who in my opinion are better actresses than pretty much all actors suggested here.
Again, Selina and Catwoman necessitate different types of performances. I have no reason to doubt that Jolie could pull of the Catwoman side, but I'm also confident she can act with the best of 'em on the Selina side. That's really up to the how well written the character is in the script.

If it's not, then I can see why Jolie would be wrong for it. She doesn't seem to be the type of actress to elevate the material well above it's actual quality. But otherwise, she is the type of actress to deliver if the dimensionality is there. I've yet to see her perform poorly on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"