Chapter Thirteen Spoiler Discussion

Discussion in 'The Mandalorian' started by DarthSkywalker, Nov 27, 2020.

1. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

I agree 100%. You aren't going to do a lot of movement and flipping with those. I think that while Dawson didn't look the most "alien" or "real", that I really appreciated the balance they went with between capturing the look and not handicapping her on the battlefield. She didn't move as fast as you might expect, but I also feel like we are a long ways from the giant rubber hands and headpieces that made all the extra Jedi in the prequels look incapable of fighting. :funny:

2. Sithborg Dark Forces Return

I feel it was more a budgetary issue with costuming than an actual intent to be a call back. Montrels in particular seem to be a costuming problem in live action. The wrinkles when it bends just seems off. And wasn't just Ahsoka. The Twi'leks have had the same issue.

3. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

One thing I have really enjoyed about the Disney era so far. I really like how Force users are handled for the most part. In terms of hurting the mythos of the Jedi, I found how they felt kind of expendable in the PT and even a lot of TCW didn't help. Same with the need to make them a bit of a monolith. I got the point, I just think it hurt what a Jedi in that regard. You only really saw it with Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Qui-Gon, Ahsoka, and Mace, but only really animated for the last bit imo. The Jedi of the Disney era though, even the lower level ones like Kanan and Cal, feel so much more capable and also individual. Really gives off the mystical warrior vibe the OT emphasized. Truly worth many other warriors in battle.

4. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud

[​IMG]

I liked this episode a lot. I especially liked how they chose a darkened, muted environment to make Ahsoka's lightsabers pop.

If Mikkelsen isn't cast as Thrawn, I'm going to be severely disappointed. Dawson's voice as Ahsoka was already a little jarring (not her fault), but it would be especially difficult to get used to anyone other than Mikkelsen speaking as Thrawn.

5. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    You know, I assumed that the Thrawn thing was for a spinoff, but...

'The Mandalorian': Giancarlo Esposito discusses the second half of season 2

Given it sounds like from the episode that Thrawn has returned from his trip with Ezra, it does make me wonder...

#130 Snow Queen, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  6. Dave McFly "He owes us!"

love all the action scenes involving her especially her brief fight with Mando. and I LOVED hearing snippets of 'yoda's theme' in this episode you do not hear a lot of if any of Williams's queues.

7. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

Wow that quote in the new context is fantastic.
    Thanks for re-sharing it.

Although cliche, still wish we'd gotten at least one classic shot of them surrounded and physically fighting back to back.
    However the pan-up from Mando to her atop the roof was spectacular!

#132 Mondragon, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  8. BrollySupersj Howard, Fine, and Howard

Fantastic episode. Rosario Dawson played Ahsoka Tano wonderfully, and sexy in light add. She had both a charming and super intimidating aura to her. I want more her ASAP.

And freaking Admiral Thrawn?! Another EU character coming into play here? Badass.

Learning more about Grogu (sp?) was nice as well. He and Ahsoka had cool scenes. Overall this was a damn good episode.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  9. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    It doesn't feature her latest appearance in this episode, but this gifset is really cool.

10. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

11. herolee10 No More Miracles

12. Gaultheria Registered

• I'd been thinking about how much Gideon reminds me of Thrawn. I'm guessing they wouldn't have two characters like that. Disguise?
    • I liked the nod to Iron Man 3: "Honestly, I hate working here, they are so weird."

Schlosser85 likes this.
  13. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

I don’t know how likely I think that is, but Gideon pulling a mask off and being Thrawn would be a holy **** moment, and actually I could see Gideon’s calm, cool, pragmatic personality matching Thrawn’s.

I kind of doubt if Gideon is secretly Thrawn though.

KRYPTON INC. and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  14. herolee10 No More Miracles

15. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

Dank Farrik can we get a re-shoot of their battle live action.

[​IMG]

16. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

They went straight in with Ashoka! So great to finally see her in live action. Can’t believe Thrawn was mentioned. Could we actually ever see him on this show? 3 top episodes in a row now.

17. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Ha, maybe typecasting is a good thing then. More awesome spears for bounty hunters.

18. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

This is the first time I felt like we might actually get a younger Luke and Leia (Ellen Page please!). Mainly because of Thrawn. If when Din puts Grogurt on the little stone, and he sees Luke, I have a pet theory about Ezra and Sabine.

What if Thrawn has brain washed Ezra and maybe Sabine as well? He'd have a warrior Jedi and Mando on his side. Could be very dangerous...

Snow Queen likes this.
  19. Broseph44 Witness Me

Incredible. That is all.

KaijuDude1992 and KRYPTON INC. like this.
  20. Gaultheria Registered

Grogu has a pained expression as Ahsoka describes what she learned from him:

"Then his memory becomes dark. He seemed lost, alone. I've only known one other being like this, a wise Jedi Master named Yoda."

Then we hear a faint, brief buzzing sound...

brrrrrrt

...and Grogu looks up in evident relief, as Ahsoka chuckles.

Perfect timing, kid.

21. TheVileOne Registered

It should never happen.

Monsieur Xavier likes this.
  22. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Grogu remined me of Rogu from American Dad also :funny:

Sithborg likes this.
  23. Sorath Registered

I watched the ep and at first was all excited but the more show progressed the more something felt off about Ashoka. I couldn't quite figure out what it was. I had no problem with her look or how she carried her self even the acting was great. I Spent all day today thinking why Ashoka felt off to me. Then it clicked on me why.

She wasn't very vocal like we seen her in Clone Wars or even Rebels. We never see any of the banter that is typical of Ashoka. When she did have dialog it felt rushed like they where holding back with her in terms of her dialog.

Even the scene where she talks about how she seen what attachment and fear can do to fully trained Jedi Knight. This dialog seemed rushed and straight to point. It was like Filoni was holding back with her. I just don't know why. That scene could played out so much better if she sat down and calmly explain to Mando that her former Master had lots fears and formed attachments. That eventually it lead him to dark side and the Galaxy was left in ruins because of it.

It wasn't a bad performance by a long shot. I don't think Rosario was fantastic playing Ashoka. I hope that we get a lot more with her as Ashoka.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  24. Gaultheria Registered

Plus, they both have a thing for objects of high cultural significance.

25. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Doing another live watch at work. Ate first so there's no distractions at all.

Welp... Here we go.

1. Wow. We just go right into it huh? Tano's style in live action is... interesting. Not too flowery but with some sizzle, but the hits and combat is, while fantasy based, pretty strong and "gritty". I have to say some of the "digital seams" are showing but that feels purely a budget thing. Otherwise this feels ambitous if a bit hemmed in by the budget. Dawson looks great. So, lone hero trying to save civilians on some outer rim backwater? Got it.

2. Mando has gotten really comfortable with his charge. He was never a bad guy to the kid but his voice has much more emotion around him. Makes it obvious that his connection to the kid will be a tension in the show. Will he WANT to give the child away? Will the child want to leave Mando?

3. Like I stated before... This is ambitous and it's not that anything looks horrible but the "movie on a TV budget" aspect is noticable a bit. Not overwhelmingly so, no, but... It's there at the edges so to speak. I will say, and this is a bit of a complaint about a lot of our current and in the recent past sci fi shows etc., is why there seems to be so much sameness is how they present places that aren't the big sci fi futuristic cites (Which on ANOTHER note, at this point in this show would be a real nice change of pace, just saying.) in so much of post 2000's stuff? It's all psuedo-western frontier towns of one stripe or another. Change the color palette and the big signifieres of the environment (Swampy, forest, desert etc.) and BOOM! different planet, right? It's a bit old, and that's not just Mando or SW, it is way too common in my view.

4. Okay... Mando Martell with a Beskar spear? (They REALLY did write this one just for our own @Roose Bolton ) Filoni... You had me at spear. I think I know who'll be walking away with that thing. I hope it's not a signal of Mando attempting to go one on one with Tano... I don't give him much of a chance against her myself. This actess playing the villain seems familiar too, but I can't place her.

5. I just stopped watching and called a friend cuz... HOLY **** THAT'S MICHAEL BEIHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For real... At first I was like "Is that Clark Gregg?" Then I was, no, someone else. But **** it's Cpl. Hick's of the Colonial Marines himself! I had no idea he was showing up or if I did I completely forgot. NICE.

6. Okay... Time to do some speculating... The baby was at the Temple. Order 66 happens. Anakin/Vader slaughtered the ones old enough to pick up a sabre. Somehow the baby was taken and hidden. That's the bullet points so far, no? Okay...

Total speculation but...

"There is still good in you..."

Tano alludes to Vader.

Could Vader have been the one to hide BabyYo? I know... But it's a hell of a twist. Vader could kill those ones old enough to wield a weapon but he couldn't murder that baby. He thinks he can render it harmless to allow it to live it's life and wipes it's mind of it's training and time with the Jedi. Or... Not. Still... Now there's more details to the questions this all brings up. Who had the child after the fall of the Jedi? How did Gideon's faction seize or find him, how did it get out of their hands and who was it that had taken the child from Gideon and whom Mando liberated him from?

7. Yeah... I don't think Tano is being set up to train the child. Interesting that Tano was one who broke free of Jedi tenets but doesn't see how she could do the same for the baby and train him in ways that do not fall into the issues that allowed Anakin to fall to the darkside of the force. At least I would think she wants to protect the baby, unless she's invovled with something dangerous already. What is Tano doing here? What information does that woman have? And who is she? The actress. It's killing me. I KNOW her.

8. Well, someone is a fan of KILL BILL. Makes me think about how Ming Na was that assassin last season. Maybe they wanted Lucy Liu for this part and couldn't get her for whatever reason? This really does look like a Star Wars take on The Bride Vs. O-Ren. This actress is pretty good with a staff. In fact I kinda feel like maybe she's a stunt woman that doubled for Dawson. That lady KNOWS how to handle that staff. Fight coordination is again in this scene really good. The double handed thing is something that take a lot of effort to pull off, and I say this as someone that's fought in matches with weapons.

9. Is there anything else to say but... THRAWN!!!!!! Holy ****, holy ****, holy ****!!!! I was thinking that the woman's master would be connected to Maul and his criminal empire but Ben did away with him when Luke was a boy as we now know... Thraw though? Well... Where is this going? Are Filoni and crew gonna try and make lemons out of lemonade with RISE OF SKYWALKER's out of nowhere Palps return? Will they attempt to tie this all together? Heady stuff, and a pleasant but truly out of left field choice.

10. So the two are still bound together. Oddly... Anticlimatic but still a good end. Tano is obviously in play as a supporting character of some kind and the "quest" is still a thing as it's the whole hook of the show.

This was... Really, really, really good. Not mind blowing but solid all over. Great guest stars, moved the plot forward, revealed tons and delivered on being the live action intro to a fan fave character.

PS the villain was it turns out... Diana Lee Inosanto. Whom... I've met a couple of times. I KNEW I saw that face and heard her before. Seeing her name in the cast list at the end was as big an "oh ****" as Thrawn's reveal. She's the wife of Guro Dan Insanto, one of two people Bruce Lee gave the right to teach his Jeet Kune Do concept of martial arts as well as being an incredible Filipino Marital Arts master in his own right as well as being holder of multiple black belts and titles. And Diana is his wife who trained under Dan for decades now, and it shows in how she did that fight at the end. Makes me think more and more that she might have been stunt doubling for Dawson at some points. A great way to wrap up this episode.

#150 KRYPTON INC., Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020