Chapter Thirteen Spoiler Discussion

Discussion in 'The Mandalorian' started by DarthSkywalker, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    Kennedy makes the post-2012 Star Wars people like as much as the post-2012 Star Wars people don't like.

I don't know, with my luck, they'd cast Ruby Rose for this too. :o

2. herolee10 No More Miracles

3. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

“You technically could call Ron Howard a Star Wars fan, but it’s not the same as the other filmmakers who saw them as kids! He was 22 when ANH came out so he didn’t see it as a young Opie with childlike wonder, he saw it as a grown and jaded Richie Cunningham.”
    - A basement-dwelling neckbeard, probably :o

4. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    I mean, didn't we see people get melted alive in the season premiere or am I misremembering? Show doesn't really feel like it's holding back any more than the rest of Star Wars.

5. antsman41 Belongs To Prince

The Log from Twin Peaks has more range.

6. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

Darth, @Roose Bolton, @Snow Queen, and @Perfect Cell walk into a bar. They find Luke Skywalker, Mitth'raw'nuruodo and Sabine Wren there. Darth and Roose each go to chill with their bros, while the two Canadians proceed to have the worst hockey fight in history for Sabine's attention. Be careful PC. Snow fights dirty. And by dirty, I mean she uses magical ice powers and low blows.

7. Filmfan93 The Man in Black

This.

Abrams and Johnson certainly made box office hits, but in no way did they seem to expand on the lore the same way Filoni and Favreau do and with the same novelty, passion and boldness.

Abrams in particular re-hashed ANH with TFA and then did damage control with TROS. Johnson certainly tried something new, but almost ruined a beloved for many childhood hero in his way.

This comes from a guy that watched TFA 7 times at the cinema and TLJ - 8 respectively. I like these films a lot, but can't help to think what could've been with more devoted people who weren't afraid to both take risks (where due) and to listen what fans want.

Rogue One.. is another beast. That is probably the best SW film since the Lucasfilm purchase.

#107 Filmfan93, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  8. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    Fight dirty, you say?
    @Perfect Cell
    [​IMG]

KRYPTON INC. and DarthSkywalker like this.
  9. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

I said this in another thread, but I appreciate some of the same about The Mandalorian that I did about Rogue One, the nitty gritty worldbuilding that doesn’t paint everything in total black and white. Like Rogue One having the resistance do shady stuff for the greater good, and The Mandalorian actually portraying Tusken Raiders as more than just one note marauders.

10. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

The problem with all 5 films so far have been time constraints do to when the films needed to be delivered. It is why Star Wars became a Christmas film series. Because the end of 2015 was the farthest JJ could get them to push it back. That said, are we really arguing world building and expansion of mythos between films and television series?

Also this has become a different argument over devotion and listening to what fans want. The last bit in particular is pretty interesting considering this then becomes a subject of which fans?

Sithborg likes this.
  11. gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

This was indeed a really good episode, but I am really curious to how it would have been if someone else was cast as Ahsoka. Nothing against Dawson but there was something missing if you ask me.

DarthSkywalker and Snow Queen like this.
  12. herolee10 No More Miracles

Agreed. I can appreciate the fact that we're getting new content as a result of Disney's purchase of the franchise.

However, I'm just not a fan of the creative decisions that were made for the sequel trilogy. Granted, I know that there is a toxic base out there that will bash everything related to the sequel trilogy.

Maybe it's just me, but I can really feel the love that Jon and Dave have for these characters/mythology whenever I watch an episode from this show. This is why I'm really hoping for them to make a show someday with Luke Skywalker.

If I had a choice in the matter, then I wouldn't want the ST to be the last thing that people remember the character for in the post Disney era.

13. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

It's almost like you seemed fine continuing this conversation after someone agreed with you, and you could avoid the post pointing out the inherent flaws in your argument.

Again, please explain how JJ, Rian or anyone else involved in Star Wars since Disney purchased it didn't "love" these characters or Star Wars in general? Any creative decision you don't agree with doesn't mean they don't love the characters. If anyone is messing with mythos, it's Filoni with his living Jedi outside of Luke. But do you complain about Ahsoka walking around?

I dig Filoni. I love Jon. But they have both already made more "lesser" Star Wars then anyone else. But because they are used as a stick to beat others that people want to complain about, that is ignored. Like episodes 2 and 4 from this season. Or episodes 4 and 5 from last season. Go back and watch all of TCW and Rebels. It's rough a good portion of the time.

Snow Queen likes this.
  14. Sithborg Dark Forces Return

Here's the problem. Being a fan of Star Wars contains a wide, wide range of people. Of different opinions and talent. I mean, there are some truly repugnant, regressive *******s that are Star Wars fans. Doesn't mean we should listen to them. And you can have completely different visions for Star Wars, and still be a Star Wars fan. Star Wars isn't one thing, there is no "one true Star Wars fan".

Abrams made a live action Kevin J Anderson novel into a movie. How is that not one of the hardest of hardcore Star Wars fan...

I also think you are mistaking what a movie can do, versus a television series.

15. herolee10 No More Miracles

In my honest opinion, I would say that JJ Abrams is as much of a Star Wars fan as Bryan Singer is a Superman one.

I believe that both directors love the nostalgia that comes from the established franchises. That being said, I don't get the impression that either of them followed or understood the mythology behind the brand names.

Hence, why their respective films felt more like rehashes than original entries to the established lore.

GREEN =w= DAY and CaptainWagner like this.
  16. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

I agree completely. I think my general issue with this discussion is it becomes a game of gate keeping, and how seemingly the one people must respond to when "fans" are complaining are the most vocal or toxic. I made a joking post about those yesterday arguing on twitter whether Rogue One or TRoS is the best Star Wars movie. I don't agree with this obviously, but if others do, good for them and that doesn't make them any less a Star Wars fan then anyone else.

I never thought about it that way, but now you have blown my mind, and I can't unsee it SB. :eek:

#116 DarthSkywalker, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  17. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

1976-1977 What Ron Howard was doing at age 22
    Directing and staring in his own movies. ... you?

#117 Mondragon, Nov 27, 2020
  18. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

JJ Abrams had 6 months to rewrite the script and junked a lot of his crazier ideas because he had to have a film done by December 2015, no matter what. And in doing so, he imo, made my second favorite Star Wars creation so far. He also wrote it with Lawrence flippin' Kasdan, which is why his Han and Chewie are so spot on, imo.

Your attempts at gatekeeping, with the guy who heavily borrowed from Lucas and Spielberg his entire career, is one of the most bizarre arguments I have ever heard.

Snow Queen likes this.
  19. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin

If they were going to do a new take on the character and not use Ashley, I kinda wish they had gone for longer montrals and head tails like Shaak Ti's to show Ahsoka's increasing age and maturity. The shorter ones felt like too much fan service to Ahsoka's Clone Wars-era appearance for my taste.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  20. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

I am so confused. Are we talking about Revenge or Rise here? :D

Snow Queen likes this.
  21. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

I think the shorter head tails work from a practical perspective, and prefer them that way. But after the end of Rebels, where they made it clear Ahsoka's had grown, it feels odd they went backwards.

#121 DarthSkywalker, Nov 27, 2020
    DKDetective, Sithborg and Snow Queen like this.
  22. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    I like your way of putting it here. This idea that you can tell certain creators are lying about being fans just feels silly to me. This isn't an obscure movie franchise or someone claiming a little-known comic character has always been their favourite where it's a little surprising, it's ****ing Star Wars. It's an extremely popular 40+ year old franchise that gets constantly cited as an inspiration for modern directors. Not to mention that being a fan or not doesn't translate to good or bad movies. I wholely believe Rian Johnson is a Star Wars fan. I'm sure he loves the original movies and maybe some other corners of the franchise. It just so happens he also made the Star Wars movie I like the least. Doesn't mean he's not a real fan or anything.

For me, I'll say that stuff like Solo and this often do cater to the kind of fandom stuff I enjoy because a big part of my fandom for the franchise is Clone Wars. But that doesn't mean that Filoni and Favreau are any more or less fans than Abrams, Johnson, or the twelve directors of Solo and Rogue One. It's a popular franchise, I'm sure they all love it.

DarthSkywalker and flickchick85 like this.
  23. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

He did not make Attack of the Clones, Queenie. :p

Solo and Rogue One only had 12 directors? That's less then i remember. :o

Snow Queen likes this.
  24. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I don't think the shorter montrals were fan service, I think they were done for practical reasons because of all the action she had to do.

25. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm of two minds. On one hand, I think Rebels (especally the season 4 finale) actually went a bit too long and tall in my opinion. They reached a point where they felt like they looked cumbersome. So shortening them felt like a decent idea, especially for stunt choreography. Problem is, I think they went too short and it feels like it makes the look more off-putting. They're a size that works for if they had a teenager-or-so playing her in the Clone Wars-ish era. But put on a forty year old woman, it looks off balance.

It also doesn't help they chose on the animated shows to explicitly link the length with age.

DKDetective and DarthSkywalker like this.