Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in the voice. ;)

I preferred his voice to the whispery voice Keaton used.

You don't think maybe the scripts played a huge role in that?

Keaton didn't have nearly as much to work with.

Ya can have the best script in the world but without a talented actor to sell it then ya got nothin. You're right though Keaton had little material to work with. The villains got most of that.

When it comes to Bale's voice I think I'm one of the few who didn't mind it in TDK. At least it was consistent. This poll is about BB however and it was very inconsistent in that movie. I also did not enjoy Bale's Batman performance in BB more than I did any of the Keaton's or his performance as Batman in TDK.

Burton's bats were in part a German Expressionism. Like Burton said, they were going back to the silent movie acting with presence and stare, with which Keaton did wonders. Burton's movies were art movies, something that we should keep in mind. It was all about art, German Expressionism and Gothic narrative

As I said before, picking one or the other isnt picking an actor, its just picking an approach. Keaton was stunningly perfect for the Gothic expressionist presence he was suppose to imitate, like in Shreck's Nosferatu (another Expressionist Gothic story in which characters worked with presence and eyes) which was cited as influence

Bale on the other hand sold the angry, dedicated and skilled Ninja who also had need for regular' man's life perfectly for the conventional, "regular" movie portrayal. They both fit their roles and world's perfect to a T, and thats exactly the view that the great late Heath Ledger shared about Burton's and Nolan's world. They were both perfect for their own genre

Last edited:
Exactly, minimum dialogue as it was a truly Gothic/Expressionistic approach to suit what Burton and Keaton intended to do with the character. Gothic Monster Batman like Phantom of the Opera, Frankenstein and Dracula.

Oh I know... I'm not arguing that. What Keaton was capable of doing with his eyes was unreal.

I miss the gothic Batman. After Burton and Keaton left, we lost a presence with the character that Nolan never seems to what to implement.

What happened to... ''theatricality and deception are powerful agents''?

Burton's bats were in part a German Expressionism. Like Burton said, they were going back to the silent movie acting with presence and stare, with which Keaton did wonders. Burton's movies were art movies, something that we should keep in mind. It was all about art, German Expressionism and Gothic narrative

As I said before, picking one or the other isnt picking an actor, its just picking an approach. Keaton was stunningly perfect for the Gothic expressionist presence he was suppose to imitate, like in Shreck's Nosferatu (another Expressionist Gothic story in which characters worked with presence and eyes) which was cited as influence

Bale on the other hand sold the angry, dedicated and skilled Ninja who also had need for regular' man's life perfectly for the conventional, "regular" movie portrayal. They both fit their roles and world's perfect to a T, and thats exactly the view that the great late Heath Ledger shared about Burton's and Nolan's world. They were both perfect for their own genre

Brilliantly put. :applaud

Oh I know... I'm not arguing that. What Keaton was capable of doing with his eyes was unreal.

I miss the gothic Batman. After Burton and Keaton left, we lost a presence with the character that Nolan never seems to what to implement.

What happened to... ''theatricality and deception are powerful agents''?

Lets also keep in mind that Nolan's batman was a normal, skilled guy with big temper and very good will and moral code, who used theatricality to scare criminals, so he acted a certain way while in the suit, but was normal outisde of it, while Burton's Batman was someone who truly did have a split personality disorder and though of himself as 2 different people, and who was truly nuts. So naturally, the guy who's nuts will seem and look like a psycho because he is one. And again, its a Gothic approach to the character, incorporating silent movie acting. Brilliant move. Burton;s Batman's are definitely one of the most artistic mainstream movies ever made, a thrill for art connoisseurs and designers like myself

Bale is better in every way

No, he isn't. Even critics and "comic book fans" at the time were baffled AFTER they saw Keaton as Batman. They didn't believe he could pull it off. People were saying "Michael Keaton IS Batman."

So, Keaton wins. Every. Time. I think many folks are clouded behind the tighter production values of the new films.

Batman, to me, is a brooding dark figure. He's driven to do what he does by the death of his parents... It's never something he gets over. He sees himself mirrored in other character (Like Robin)... and it drives him on even further to keep what happened to him from happening to others. He's a tortured soul... and even if he wanted to give up the mantle of Batman, the "creature in his gut" always pulls him back. I got this from Michael Keaton's portrayal.

Bale, to me, is an utter bore and seems to not get this aspect of the character. Bale has some interesting moments as Bruce Wayne... but that's it to say the least. I don't get a driving force out of Bale's performance. He does what he does just to mop the streets of Gotham up... I don't feel he's good at emphasizing why he does it like Keaton was. I also think that in some ways, Keaton is a better actor. Bale goes way over the top as Batman (the voice)... whereas Keaton was more subtle and had a better Batman growl.

No, he isn't. Even critics and "comic book fans" at the time were baffled AFTER they saw Keaton as Batman. They didn't believe he could pull it off. People were saying "Michael Keaton IS Batman."

Opinions dude, look up the word. People were saying "Bale is Batman" after Batman Begins came out, because of his performance and the fact they felt he is more physically accurate to Batman, which he is.

So, Keaton wins. Every. Time.

*Looks at poll*

Yeah, I can see that :cwink:

I think many folks are clouded behind the tighter production values of the new films.

Conversely those who vote Keaton could be accused of simply being nostalgic from their childhood. Or maybe, just maybe, people just genuinely have one preference over another *GASP*

Last edited:
I think nostalgia plays the role for people who cant articulate why they prefer one over another, but if one has a very good and interesting explanation behind the choice, I think its genuine. For example, I prefer the dracula psycho batman for one and two - I always liked Keaton as an actor. I watched movies with him just because he was playing the title role

I just want to stress out again that the preference or choice in this situation is a tricky thing. As I said, Keaton was ideal for Burton's Gothic take and Bale is ideal for Nolan's real life character. So I basically choose both because I wouldnt want Bale in Burton's movies and I wouldnt want Keaton as Batman in Nolan's movies, they wouldve been disastrous. yet, for their takes, they were perfect, like being born to play those roles

Opinions dude, look up the word. People were saying "Bale is Batman" after Batman Begins came out, because of his performance and the fact they felt he is more physically accurate to Batman, which he is.

Conversely those who vote Keaton could be accused of simply being nostalgic from their childhood. Or maybe, just maybe, people just genuinely have one preference over another *GASP*

:funny: I know it's opinion. That's me giving mine, and combating another's. Just like you're doing. It'll be interesting to hear what people think about Bale in 10 years then.

I cant say one is better than the other, as I enjoy them both for what they did. They both took on separate aspects of Batman/Bruce Wayne and did it very well.

Bale was the angry, tough as nails badass.
Keaton was the mysterious, gothic, creature of the night.

Batman has all of these qualities.

I cant say one is better than the other, as I enjoy them both for what they did. They both took on separate aspects of Batman/Bruce Wayne and did it very well.

I think Bale and Keaton need to merge into one super-being, the perfect Batman. :funny: They both have the qualities that the other needs.

Btw, Im working on an article presenting all movie Batmans' personalities and motivations. Of course, as usual Im not gonna write any of my opinions or ideas and everything will be based on facts and supported by quotes and facts. I already started the research (for me the worst part of writing for the GothamAlleys blog since it takes so much time and effort), and I already spent last few days in libraries (yes, my research isnt just online, that wouldnt be satisfactory enough) reading books and old newspapers with interviews and artciles on Keaton's Batman so far. All I do lately is reading, reading and typing up the relevant passages to Word for the future use. I still have vintage magazines to read and naturally I still havent even finished researching Keaton alone, so the article wont showup anytime soon

Btw, Im working on an article presenting all movie Batmans' personalities and motivations. Of course, as usual Im not gonna write any of my opinions or ideas and everything will be based on facts and supported by quotes and facts. I already started the research (for me the worst part of writing for the GothamAlleys blog since it takes so much time and effort), and I already spent last few days in libraries (yes, my research isnt just online, that wouldnt be satisfactory enough) reading books and old newspapers with interviews and artciles on Keaton's Batman so far. All I do lately is reading, reading and typing up the relevant passages to Word for the future use. I still have vintage magazines to read and naturally I still havent even finished researching Keaton alone, so the article wont showup anytime soon

Great idea! I'm looking forward to that one. Appreciate the care and effort you put into your work on there, man. :up:

That should be a brilliant post, looking forward to it. :cool::up:

Actually I will agree with you there... But I think the mysterious, gothic creature of the night more closely aligns with this "fanboys" view of Batman.

Actually I will agree with you there... But I think the mysterious, gothic creature of the night more closely aligns with this "fanboys" view of Batman.

That should be a brilliant post, looking forward to it. :cool::up:

Thanks. I decided to split it into 3 parts and incorporate the whole story while Keaton really didn't go back into part 2

Very well done!

It's definitely done well, GothamStreets has done a brilliant job researching and writing it. I also want to read it dozen times to really understand the Keaton/Burton Batman more than I already understand. :awesome:

Big and sincere thanks to everyone

In fact, after reading that, Bale's version almost comes across as too forced.

Actually, Bale was really anything but forced. While reading and writing about Bale I see even more how well written the character is and how believable he and his motivations are. His origins were drastically changed from the comic books but only to make it and the character that much more real and grounded in reality. This Batman is never a perfect guy who , like in the comic, vows to become Batman and studies his entire life like a supersoldier to be one (nothings wrong with that of course, but as a real life character that might not have been entirely believable). This Wayne has emotional problems and character arcs and issues even very early on in his life, which makes him that much of a real person. But the details Ill leave for the article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"