• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fully agree with El Pay. This is the first time I've ever heard someone say Bale's Wayne was more on the fringes and crazier than Keaton's. Keaton's Wayne was an isolated hermit. And the fact that he also murdered- he was a hot wire just waiting to go off from time to time.

Fully agree with El Pay. This is the first time I've ever heard someone say Bale's Wayne was more on the fringes and crazier than Keaton's. Keaton's Wayne was an isolated hermit. And the fact that he also murdered- he was a hot wire just waiting to go off from time to time.
There was a certain amount of crazed glee with Keaton, like that little smile he gives Joker when he tells him point-blank that he's going to kill him. But still I never felt any real danger with him, which is partly because of Burton's very animated way of doing the action and characters. I felt more danger with Bale even though he wasn't a killer like Keaton was; the punches he threw, the bones he cracked, and the thorough pummeling he gave Joker all felt more palpable (during the climax of the interrogation it actually crossed my mind that Batman would choke Joker to death right then and there).

Until perhaps the final scene in The Dark Knight, Bale's Wayne thinks being Batman is a short-term gig after which he can get on with the rest of his life (hell, he doesn't even seem troubled or motivated by the death of his parents any more). It's a rational symbol rather than a disturbed state of mind. But it's still early days; hopefully in the third Batman he will get 'lost inside this monster' as Alfred feared he would in Begins. It's only then that Wayne/Batman truly becomes an interesting character, like Keaton's Wayne who has ceased to exist. His Wayne is just a mask Batman reluctantly dons until night falls (particularly in Batman Returns). He's the Haunted Knight to Bale's Super-Bat. Keaton's performance is actually quite brilliant; his eyes tell the whole story.

Yeah, I prefer Keaton.

Last edited:
In terms of craziness, since that's the current subject, I thought Keaton was a bit over the top at times and maybe even inappropriate. The 'C'MON! Let's get nuts!' scene always makes me cringe, because I find it rather corny. Keaton was mostly fantastic though, don't get me wrong. But oppositely, you can feel a very vicious rage boiling in Bale a lot of the time. It's a different kind of crazy; a silent, furious kind of crazy. And I think that's more 'Batman'.

Well, I mean, obviously there's more than one kind of Batman, but it's sort of become the accepted 'core' Batman. The dark, quiet, serious one, full of rage that he has to tame back. You can feel it surging in him during the latter parts of the Joker interrogation scene in the Dark Knight, which I thought was a brilliant bit of chemistry between Heath and Christian.

I also found him more elemental and ominous in Begins - particularly during the first scene that Rachel encounters him and he gets tazered. THAT was the perfect Batman scene in my opinion. I wish they had more mysterious/elemental stuff like that going on in TDK.

So yeah, I prefer the barely contained rage craziness to the sadistic smile 'let's get nuts' craziness for the Batman character. A smiling killer that talks about being crazy like it's fun and games is more Joker than Batman to me. But it's not just about the actors, it's also about the writing. Gotta keep that in mind.

The 'C'MON! Let's get nuts!' scene always makes me cringe, because I find it rather corny.
That was supposed to be over the top, though. The rich playboy trying to act tough. He was essentially using theatrics to lure the threat away from Vicki Vale. It was just a mask.

I love that scene. Never came across as corny at all.....just Bruce simultaneously being both genuinely crazed and deliberately provocative.

Another difference between Keaton's Bruce/Bats and Bale's Bruce/Bats is the former being portrayed as more isolated and alone. Other than Alfred, Keaton's isn't given any close, consistent allies. He basically has no working relationship with Gordon. While Bale's has Alfred, Gordon, Fox and Rachel as close indispensable allies and is briefly but significantly allied with and helped by Ducard and Dent.

While my favorite overall is Keaton's, I do prefer a Batman/Gordon team-up closer to what we got with Bale's.
To be fair to Keaton, Batman isn't supposed to have many functioning relationships outside of Alfred. The major thing Burton missed was his interactions with Jim Gordon. Although before Robin comes along, that's virtually all Bruce has is Alfred, then to a lesser extent Gordon.

Oh, I completely agree. That's what I was arguing.....that just the Gordon partnership was lacking. Fox and Rachel were the roles that I thought were really unnecessarily made overly important and got in the way of Batman being portrayed as more of a loner. I think most fans agree with me on Rachel, so I don't think I need to explain why. Fox should have just been what he is the comics: a good businessman Bruce can trust to run the day-to-day operations of Wayne Enterprises. I know Goyer said Batman would need a figure like that to procure all his gadgets; but why? Bruce could've just gotten all his stuff the way he put together his mask Begins, through anonymously buying things from different parts of the world and/or off the black market, like he how he hired the smugglers for the plane in TDK.

That was supposed to be over the top, though. The rich playboy trying to act tough. He was essentially using theatrics to lure the threat away from Vicki Vale. It was just a mask.

Valid argument. :up:

Until perhaps the final scene in The Dark Knight, Bale's Wayne thinks being Batman is a short-term gig after which he can get on with the rest of his life (hell, he doesn't even seem troubled or motivated by the death of his parents any more). It's a rational symbol rather than a disturbed state of mind. But it's still early days; hopefully in the third Batman he will get 'lost inside this monster' as Alfred feared he would in Begins. It's only then that Wayne/Batman truly becomes an interesting character, like Keaton's Wayne who has ceased to exist. His Wayne is just a mask Batman reluctantly dons until night falls (particularly in Batman Returns). He's the Haunted Knight to Bale's Super-Bat. Keaton's performance is actually quite brilliant; his eyes tell the whole story.

Yeah, I prefer Keaton.

I agree with much of this, but many people actually use it as a criticism. I can't count the number of times I've read reviews that said "Burton's ridiculous take was to show that Batman was just as nutty as his villains."

Bale acts with his eyes just as much as Keaton does. Obviously their eyes are telling different stories respective to the situation they're in, but they both silent act beautifully.

I agree with what you said in a previous post. Bale's Batman is full of vicious rage; And I'd say Keaton was more like a mad man on the edge.

What is there so truly disturbed about Bale's Batman/Bruce Wayne?

He decides to set a line between him and criminals because logic tells him it wouldn't be good to become the same thing.

He's lucid enough to create a convincing playboy persona and separate revenge from justice. He's lucid enough to recognize love in a completely normal woman and fight for it.

Lucid enough to quit as Batman only when he found something truly better to replace him and protect the city.

He has normal relationships with Alfred and Fox and with Rachelm would be the same except that Batman is an obstacle - and not because he's so "disturbed" but merely because he's incompatible with a romantic relationship..

I'm gonna deal with each hightlighted bit one at a time.

1. I don't see how setting himself apart from criminals has anything to do with logic. It doesn't make his job as Batman easier, it's not like the public like him better for it or something, because they don't know the details.

He doesn't want to be the same as criminals for his own personal reasons. To protect his own sanity, he sets himself lines, so that he doesn't get drawn in by the thrill of crime and end up becoming the very thing he's fighting... because he knows he's got it in him.

2+3. He sees love in the only woman in his life, the only woman he's ever been remotely close to in any way. She loves him, as any woman would, because they were close as kids and because he's been through so much. It would be difficult to see all that pain and not want to comfort him.

But there really isn't a relationship there. And I don't see at all how he fought for it. And I think being incompatible with a romantic relationship does show a part of his disturbed nature.

Unlike Keaton, who wooed a woman in just a few days and slept with her, Bale doesn't understand how to woo a woman. He's just latched onto this woman who cares about him, and keeps trying to force her to accept their relationship is already more than it is without having done any of the courting stuff first.

Keaton's Bruce/Batman can't even introduce himself without hesitating, can't stop distrusting people, can't create a double life because he simply doesn't know how normal people act so he could act like one, the only emotion his Batman knows is rage and that's why he reacts to criminals so viscerally - "you killed my parents in cold blood; I'll kill you in cold blood, I don't care about consequences or moral dilemmas" - he doesn't even know how to lie properly. He tried to quit as Batman because he thought that another screwed up person with duality issues could be his soul mate..

It's Bale's outward persona that makes his true self more obvious. How no one notices he's faking every second is a real testament to the fact he only has people around him who can smell his money. I mean his playboy self is so over the top and ridiculous... like a man trying to pretend to be a normal rich boy and ending up sticking out as eccentric.

Bale's Batman has more focus than just rage, because his rage brought him to so many places of training. But he NEEDS Batman to control that. As long as he has this commitment to doing something good with his violence, he is sane. But it's the only thing that keeps him going.

Not saying than Bale's Bruce/Batman was completely sane but it seems to me that other than wearing a bat-suit, he has everything under control.

What in his life is under control other than Batman?

I do think he has a better handle on how to be Batman than Keaton's Batman did. He is more focused, more determined. Has more of a plan, more strict rules. But to me that shows how much it's taken over his life.

While Keaton seems like a man who is a bit confused about who he is and what he wants from his life, and who genuinely seems to be looking for a connection with someone nice, Bale to me seems like a man who is very certain what he wants, but keeps trying to tell himself he can one day give it up and be normal and have everything a normal man should want... because it's another one of those things that helps him feel seperate from villains, especially one's like the Joker. But the thing is, he is just Batman.

With Keaton, I at least felt like Batman was a disguise, and there was a Bruce underneath. With Bale, it's like Bruce died a long time ago, and Batman is what took his place.

Yeah, I prefer Keaton.

1. I don't think that's true at all. He is TRYING to think that he can give it up and be a normal man, but he's barely convincing himself, and certainly not convincing Rachel.

2. As to how much his parents death motivates him, I think your right. I think that may have been the trigger that set this whole disturbed life off, but it's much much more than that now. His mind is tainted with the anger and pain and bitterness that have ruled most of his life. He's broken. Being Batman is the only thing that gives him a sense of control, of a life that is worth something.

Without Batman, what would he be?

Bale acts with his eyes just as much as Keaton does. Obviously their eyes are telling different stories respective to the situation they're in, but they both silent act beautifully.

I agree, they do both have a subtle way of performing their own portrayals without speaking. It's always interesting to watch things like that.

I agree with what you said in a previous post. Bale's Batman is full of vicious rage; And I'd say Keaton was more like a mad man on the edge.

That's a nice way of summing it up actually.

I don't think any of us can ever say that Keaton OR Bale played a better Bruce Wayne/Batman.

What I will say is this :

Keaton played the character perfectly as per typical Burton films (dark/gothic/isolated/loner/camp at times)

Bale plays it perfectly for the modern day Nolan take on it (intense/intelligent/complicated/troubled).

It's hard to say that any one representation is the definitive given that there is no realy definitive source material to go on, as such - there have been many incarnations of Batman and Bruce Wayne over the years.

However if you had to ask me to choose which I think is the most faithful representation, I'd have to go with Bale. Whilst Keaton did a great job, his Bruce Wayne is just a little bit too kooky for my taste - although it does go perfectly with the tone of Burton's film.

Bale's version is exactly how I would expect a modern Batman and Bruce Wayne to behave. Slightly conflicted at times, but hugely resourceful, determined and very intelligent. Not weird at all in Bruce Wayne mode (in fact, he craves normality) but lives up the Playboy lifestyle.

Lets just not mention who did the best Bat voice!

I'd love to be able to say I agree with hopefulsuicide's points, but I can't. Bale/Nolan's Wayne is just too sane and rational. Nolan's films are very much about Bruce dealing with the (hopefully) temporary burden of Batman. The reason that scene with Bruce ejecting his guests from Wayne Manor in Begins stings is precisely because it's a blow to Bruce Wayne, not Batman.

I also have a problem with Bale's performance in TDK. His eyes always seem disengaged and he delivers each Wayne line as if its the 100th take and he's bored and wants to go home. But again the eyes... I think that's why it's so hard to warm to him as Batman, which is a role that demands the actor convey emotion through his eyes alone. He just seems so...vacant.

He was born to play Patrick Bateman, and boy did he deliver.

I don't think any of us can ever say that Keaton OR Bale played a better Bruce Wayne/Batman.

What I will say is this :

Keaton played the character perfectly as per typical Burton films (dark/gothic/isolated/loner/camp at times)

Bale plays it perfectly for the modern day Nolan take on it (intense/intelligent/complicated/troubled).

It's hard to say that any one representation is the definitive given that there is no realy definitive source material to go on, as such - there have been many incarnations of Batman and Bruce Wayne over the years.

However if you had to ask me to choose which I think is the most faithful representation, I'd have to go with Bale. Whilst Keaton did a great job, his Bruce Wayne is just a little bit too kooky for my taste - although it does go perfectly with the tone of Burton's film.

Bale's version is exactly how I would expect a modern Batman and Bruce Wayne to behave. Slightly conflicted at times, but hugely resourceful, determined and very intelligent. Not weird at all in Bruce Wayne mode (in fact, he craves normality) but lives up the Playboy lifestyle.

Lets just not mention who did the best Bat voice!

Yeah, considering how difficult it is to define what the 'right way' of playing Batman would be, I can only really comment on who I preffered. And I preffered Bale.

I'd love to be able to say I agree with hopefulsuicide's points, but I can't. Bale/Nolan's Wayne is just too sane and rational. Nolan's films are very much about Bruce dealing with the (hopefully) temporary burden of Batman. The reason that scene with Bruce ejecting his guests from Wayne Manor in Begins stings is precisely because it's a blow to Bruce Wayne, not Batman.

I also have a problem with Bale's performance in TDK. His eyes always seem disengaged and he delivers each Wayne line as if its the 100th take and he's bored and wants to go home. But again the eyes... I think that's why it's so hard to warm to him as Batman, which is a role that demands the actor convey emotion through his eyes alone. He just seems so...vacant.

He was born to play Patrick Bateman, and boy did he deliver.

Yeah, he was truly incredible in that role :D

The weird thing is, I agree with most of what you just said.

I think he does deliver lines like he's said them a hundred times and is bored of them, and I think his eyes do look vacant... But I also think all of that is on purpose, and precisely why I think his Batman comes across more disturbed/damaged. It's like there is just barely a person there, and the only time he's much of anything is when he's Batman.

bale's a better bruce wayne, but keaton is a better batman.

Keaton's Batman could live without Batman. He wouldn't have any problem settling into a normal life. He could snuggle up to the girl and have a happily ever after.

Keaton's Bruce Wayne was CONSUMED by Batman, so much so that Vicki Vale was gone from the picture by the time BR rolled around. He failed at their relationship because he couldn't let that side of him go. Even at the end of B89, he was "late" meeting her, because he was off being Batman.

Bale's Bruce is the one who needed to go snuggle. He was more than willing to quickly toss aside Batman to be with his puppy love crush, after Harvey Dent stepped up as a new symbol of hope for Gotham.

The character of Batman was awesome in BB, but for whatever reason he went into lame run-of-the-mill superhero mode in TDK.

Keaton all the way.

Last edited:
Keaton will always be my Batman.

"You wanna get nuts? Come on! Let's get nuts!”

Keaton's Bruce Wayne was CONSUMED by Batman, so much so that Vicki Vale was gone from the picture by the time BR rolled around. He failed at their relationship because he couldn't let that side of him go.

Yeah, and Rachel walked away from any possibility of being with Bruce one day because she believed that he would never give up being Batman. "Now I'm sure the day won't come where you no longer need Batman".

Even at the end of B89, he was "late" meeting her, because he was off being Batman.

At least he managed to get himself an actual relationship, and connect with a total stranger like Vicki. Bale's Bruce Wayne has yet to have that.

Bale's Bruce is the one who needed to go snuggle. He was more than willing to quickly toss aside Batman to be with his puppy love crush, after Harvey Dent stepped up as a new symbol of hope for Gotham.

Two things:

1. Bale's Batman wanted to give up because people were being murdered in his name. Not because of Rachel or Dent.

Rachel: "Harvey said Batman's going to turn himself in"
Bruce: "I have no choice"
Rachel: "You honestly think that's going to keep the Joker from killing people?"
Bruce: "Maybe not, but I have enough blood on my hands"

Bruce: "People are dying because of me, Alfred. What would you have me do?"

Maroni: "You want the Joker, you got one way. But you already know what that is. Take off that mask and let him come find ya. Or are you going to let a couple of more people get killed while you make up your mind?"

2. Keaton's Batman is the one that seemed to need to snuggle. He was even willing to shack up with psycho Selina Kyle in Wayne Manor at the end of Returns. I ask you, who is the one who really needs to snuggle? :cwink:

The character of Batman was awesome in BB, but for whatever reason he went into lame run-of-the-mill superhero mode in TDK.

How? Bale's Batman is probably the first superhero to NOT land himself the woman he loves. Superman's had Lois. Peter has had MJ. Keaton's Batman has had Vicki. Reed Richards got Sue Storm. Bruce Banner got Betty Ross etc.

Bale's Batman is the first one not to go the cliche way and get the woman he loves. He's also the first superhero to shoulder the blame of another villain's crimes in order to save Gotham.

He is anything but run of the mill.

Last edited:
Bale's Bruce is probably in denial that he can quit anytime he wants. It's the people around him who only seem to notice. Didn't Alfred tell him he was becoming lost in this "monster" of his? That actually makes Bale look more disturbed than Keaton, as Gough's Alfred and Vicki seemed to think Keaton's Bruce is perfectly fine.

Yeah, and Rachel walked away from any possibility of being with Bruce one day because she believed that he would never give up being Batman. "Now I'm sure the day won't come where you no longer need Batman".

He acted ready to me.

At least he managed to get himself an actual relationship, and connect with a total stranger like Vicki. Bale's Bruce Wayne has yet to have that.

That's true, but how much of a relationship did Keaton's Bruce really have with Vicki? They connected, had sex, and she stuck around at least for a little bit, but ultimately they amounted to little more than F-buddies. Keaton's wanted to have a relationship, but he made it clear to her that probably wasn't going to work out.

Two things:

1. Bale's Batman wanted to give up because people were being murdered in his name. Not because of Rachel or Dent.

Rachel: "Harvey said Batman's going to turn himself in"
Bruce: "I have no choice"
Rachel: "You honestly think that's going to keep the Joker from killing people?"
Bruce: "Maybe not, but I have enough blood on my hands"

Bruce: "People are dying because of me, Alfred. What would you have me do?"

Maroni: "You want the Joker, you got one way. But you already know what that is. Take off that mask and let him come find ya. Or are you going to let a couple of more people get killed while you make up your mind?"

No argument there, but he still had the idea of Batman becoming obsolete with the rise of Harvey Dent. Take away the Joker's meddlings, and I'm convinced he still would have said:

"You know that day you once told me about, when Gotham would no longer need Batman? It's coming."

2. Keaton's Batman is the one that seemed to need to snuggle. He was even willing to shack up with psycho Selina Kyle in Wayne Manor at the end of Returns. I ask you, who is the one who really needs to snuggle? :cwink:

They were too busy about to make a home run to snuggle.

How? Bale's Batman is probably the first superhero to NOT land himself the woman he loves. Superman's had Lois. Peter has had MJ. Keaton's Batman has had Vicki. Reed Richards got Sue Storm. Bruce Banner got Betty Ross etc.

Bale's Batman is the first one not to go the cliche way and get the woman he loves. He's also the first superhero to shoulder the blame of another villain's crimes in order to save Gotham.

The temptation to give up being a superhero to be with Girl X was too reminiscent of Superman II and Spider-Man 2 (both being second installments, mind you).

Keaton's Bruce Wayne was CONSUMED by Batman, so much so that Vicki Vale was gone from the picture by the time BR rolled around. He failed at their relationship because he couldn't let that side of him go.

I really don't see any evidence of this.

The only reason he and Vicki Vale failed, is because they didn't want her in the storyline when they were making Catwoman his new love interest.

They barely bothered to explain why it didn't work out.

Keaton will always be my Batman.

"You wanna get nuts? Come on! Let's get nuts!”

I always loved that line, when I thought it was him pretending to get mad so that the Joker would bite...

... but people keep suggesting that he actually meant it... that he actually did get angry and yell at the Joker like that... which to me just makes no sense, and makes the line a bit cringeworthy.

Bale's Batman wanted to give up because people were being murdered in his name. Not because of Rachel or Dent.

Keaton's Batman is the one that seemed to need to snuggle. He was even willing to shack up with psycho Selina Kyle in Wayne Manor at the end of Returns. I ask you, who is the one who really needs to snuggle? :cwink:

Bale's Batman is probably the first superhero to NOT land himself the woman he loves. Superman's had Lois. Peter has had MJ. Keaton's Batman has had Vicki. Reed Richards got Sue Storm. Bruce Banner got Betty Ross etc.

You've basically answered the rest of Superman Prime's points as well as I could.

Especially agree with the highlighted parts.

Bale's Bruce is probably in denial that he can quit anytime he wants. It's the people around him who only seem to notice. Didn't Alfred tell him he was becoming lost in this "monster" of his? That actually makes Bale look more disturbed than Keaton, as Gough's Alfred and Vicki seemed to think Keaton's Bruce is perfectly fine.

Totally agreed.

He's in a total dream world, clinging to this idea of a 'love' that he and Rachel have that barely existed at all, and certainly didn't exist by the time she wrote that letter.

It must be horrible for him though. He spent his entire education obsessing about the man who killed his parents, shunning everyone else... then when it came to it he failed to kill him. It was that sense of purpose that had kept him going, so he dedicated himself to something similar... preparing himself to strike back on the villainy behind his parents death and the injustice he feels - the mob, corruption etc.

In the same way he thought that he would be okay after he shot his parents killer, I think he feels like if he stomps out those things he will be okay.

But he wouldn't have the first clue how to be okay.

Because his entire life has been an obsession, and he doesn't know how to live without it.

I really don't see any evidence of this.

The only reason he and Vicki Vale failed, is because they didn't want her in the storyline when they were making Catwoman his new love interest.

They barely bothered to explain why it didn't work out.

They more or less already explaned why it wouldn't work in B89. Even if Vicki was pushed aside for Catwoman, that's a behind-the-scenes explanation that shouldn't make any difference. It's still part of the story that their relationship failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"