Christopher Nolan & his love for the broken neck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I would be with Nolan on this, I would have been against the whole thing if i didn't see the scene in question. Heck..I actually was when people talked about it on here, but after watching the scene, it almost makes the movie for me.

I agree. If you watch that scene, Supes had the chance to put his hand on Zod's eyes to stop his heat vision. It didn't that just for a script reason.

Did u not see what happened to Faora's hand when she covered Superman's eyes? It burned. Had he done that to Zod I'm pretty sure he'd have pulled away as a reflex to been burned which would have allowed Zod to kill the family.

Had he managed to pull Zod away (which I'm not even sure he could as Zod had planted himself to the ground and had his powers at max then) then what? They'd have fought a little again and Zod may have pushed him away and killed the family or someone else. Also what would happen then? He can't send him to the Phantom Zone, no jail would hold him, he couldn't reason with him he had no choice but to end his life. Zod would never have stopped.

Nolan was against the broken neck idea. Nolan wanted Zod to get sucked into the Phantom Zone.

If anything the title should be what is with Goyer and his love for broken necks
actually nolan was against zod kill until goyer and snyder brought him the scene depiction and his reaction and the meaning behind it then he gave the ok

And on that note....

What gives with capes in Nolan's last 2 films. TDR & MOS both have heroes wearing capes. Odd. Thoughts?

What gives with flashbacks in Nolan's last 2 films. TDR & MOS both have multiple flashback scenes. Odd. Thoughts?

What gives with guns in Nolan's last 2 films. TDR & MOS both have multiple people carrying guns. Odd. Thoughts?

What gives with orphans in Nolan's last 2 films. TDR & MOS both have orphaned protagonists. Odd. Thoughts?

What gives with muscles in Nolan's last 2 films. TDR & MOS both have musclebound lead actors. Odd. Thoughts?

....... and my point is made. A few broken necks doesn't equal a Nolan conspiracy.

Last edited:
I see what you did there eglaz :cwink:

Obviously there would have been more ways to solve this without killing. But they wanted it that way and couldn't write a scene were there was indeed no other choice than killing Zod.

Or this Superman is just dumb. I suppose so.

I don't think so.

Zod's goal in that stage was to kill any human.

Superman was finally holding him and it was very unlikely that he can do anything to stop Zod from killing if he did anything else.

I don't think so.

Zod's goal in that stage was to kill any human.

Superman was finally holding him and it was very unlikely that he can do anything to stop Zod from killing if he did anything else.

Exactly :up: its quite funny the amount of people moaning about the ending yet not coming up with any solutions that would have worked in the film. He gets him away then what? He cripples him he'll heal, he can't lock him up, there's no way to get him to the Phantom Zone (at least in reasonable time). Etc

Exactly :up: its quite funny the amount of people moaning about the ending yet not coming up with any solutions that would have worked in the film. He gets him away then what? He cripples him he'll heal, he can't lock him up, there's no way to get him to the Phantom Zone (at least in reasonable time). Etc

Agreed. Maybe I was too young to remember, but I don't recall any similar outrage over Superman throwing a totally harmless and depowered Zod to his oblivion in Superman II, or throwing a similarly depowered and harmless Nuclear Man to his death in a nuclear reactor in Superman IV. And remember that huge rock crushing Luthor's henchmen in Superman Returns? Guess what folks ... Superman caused that all by himself when he started to lift New Krypton.

What is it that's causing such controvery with the MOS ending ............. what he did, or the way he did it? A broken neck is certainly a bit more brutal and more graphic than the (off-screen or indirect) deaths in previous Superman films, but IMO that's what makes the ending of MOS so hard-hitting. There's a buildup and it ends violently, with emotion, and Superman having to do the one thing he obviously didn't want to have to do. I love how they did it.

Agreed. Maybe I was too young to remember, but I don't recall any similar outrage over Superman throwing a totally harmless and depowered Zod to his oblivion in Superman II, or throwing a similarly depowered and harmless Nuclear Man to his death in a nuclear reactor in Superman IV. And remember that huge rock crushing Luthor's henchmen in Superman Returns? Guess what folks ... Superman caused that all by himself when he started to lift New Krypton.

What is it that's causing such controvery with the MOS ending ............. what he did, or the way he did it? A broken neck is certainly a bit more brutal and more graphic than the (off-screen or indirect) deaths in previous Superman films, but IMO that's what makes the ending of MOS so hard-hitting. There's a buildup and it ends violently, with emotion, and Superman having to do the one thing he obviously didn't want to have to do. I love how they did it.

Exactly :up: great post

Yeah, it's obviously the raw brutality and emotion of the scene that is getting to people because Superman has killed before on screen. And I'm fine with that, if you don't like it you don't. Whatever.

You have to understand that some people didn't realize until now that killing someone can be brutal.

I'm not surprised Nolan was against it at first because of how many people he killed off via neck snaps in TDKTrilogy: Dent, Dr. Pavel, John Daggett. And even Talia was pretty much paralyzed neck down(from what I gather) when her truck went over that railing.

^ I think she was dying. As for Nolan opposing it, I could do without the final fight and the original ending of MOS. HOWEVER, I think this shows HOW much Zack GETS the character. If Superman DID kill someone in comics now, it would be with that exact same type of tonality and emotion- and he would have no choice. "And I wanted to create this scenario where Superman is going to see those people get chopped in half, or he's got to do what he's go to do. And I think Zod knows that."

Perhaps in the 3.5 hour cut it shows that the citizens were pretty much evacuated from most buildings. I have a feeling there would be more Lane scenes there, and more stuff fleshed out, IMHO.

Obviously there would have been more ways to solve this without killing. But they wanted it that way and couldn't write a scene were there was indeed no other choice than killing Zod.

Or this Superman is just dumb. I suppose so.
Considering that he figured out how too use The Phantom Drive to stop The World Enginge,
I dont think this Superman is dumb.

I'm going to snap this thread's neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"