The Dark Knight Rises The Christopher Nolan Thread

Actually, it was 2 (not 12). Arguably, the 2nd utterance wasn’t required. So Nolan is guilty of one count of unnecessary exposition (not 11). :cwink:

But that's how things work on the internet. Exaggeration is par for the course.

^OMG BUT TAHTZ AN AWEFUL PORTRAYAL THOUGH, BRUCE WOULD BE OUT AS BATMAN PATROLLING THE STREETS OR IN THE CAVE LISTENING TO THE POLICE RADIO NOT JUST SITTING AROUND BORED!!1!!!!1111 :cwink:

Actually, it was 2 (not 12). Arguably, the 2nd utterance wasn’t required. So Nolan is guilty of one count of unnecessary exposition (not 11). :cwink:
Okay, a few things...

1. The dude saying it in the first place was utterly pointless, any subsequent times made it downright obnoxious.

2. Those dudes were cut to way more than just 2 times - in truth, I'd say about 4 or 5 if memory serves. Yes, they were saying something different in those other scenes, but it was still totally unnecessary dialogue that did nothing for the movie save for interrupt an otherwise decent action scene.

I really liked Wayne's portrayal in Burton's films, especially at the start of Batman Returns, when we see him brooding in the dark in his manor, probably bored, waiting for the Bat signals to come to life, so he can come to life too by donning the suit...
Yep. And that scene was particularly powerful given his personal story arc after the death of the Joker.

^OMG BUT TAHTZ AN AWEFUL PORTRAYAL THOUGH, BRUCE WOULD BE OUT AS BATMAN PATROLLING THE STREETS OR IN THE CAVE LISTENING TO THE POLICE RADIO NOT JUST SITTING AROUND BORED!!1!!!!1111 :cwink:

Thankfully, there were many other scenes of Keaton patrolling the streets in order to protect random civilians, something Bale almost never did. I know you weren't being serious, but it pretty much illustrates why I can't call Bales Batman my favorite. Nothing to do with Bales performance which was terrific but Nolan's Batman didn't protect the streets for innocent civilians against petty criminals, he only went after Kingpins and gangsters. Unforgivable given the fact that a petty criminal murdered Thomas and Martha.

Last edited:
I know you weren't being serious, but it pretty much illustrates why I can't call Bales Batman my favorite. Nothing to do with Bales performance which was terrific but Nolan's Batman didn't protect the streets for innocent civilians against petty criminals, he only went after Kingpins and gangsters. Unforgivable given the fact that a petty criminal murdered Thomas and Martha.

Ah, but Chill shared a cell with Falcone...

And Ra's engineered the economic issues in Gotham...

You know, its best just not to think about it.

Thankfully, there were many other scenes of Keaton patrolling the streets in order to protect random civilians, something Bale almost never did. I know you weren't being serious, but it pretty much illustrates why I can't call Bales Batman my favorite. Nothing to do with Bales performance which was terrific but Nolan's Batman didn't protect the streets for innocent civilians against petty criminals, he only went after Kingpins and gangsters. Unforgivable given the fact that a petty criminal murdered Thomas and Martha.

True, and I agree, would have been nice to see this in the Nolan movies. But those kingpins and gangsters were the reason for those petty criminals. There's a line in BB about Falcone creating new Joe Chills everyday.

It's sort of implied he did go after them from time to time.

Drug dealer: Nah man, I don't like this night.

Guy: What are you, superstitious? You've got more chance of winning the Power Ball than running into him."

The fact that some petty drug dealer doesn't even want to continue the drug deal because of seeing the bat signal tells me he did crack down on them.

It would have been nice to see a more contemporary take on Batman busting a petty deal in action though.

I shall deffo be looking out to see what Nolan try's next. Inception was a great film as well, just thrown in the middle of his Batman trilogy-de-epic!

I trust Snyder completely. And I doubt Nolan would allow his name to be stamped on crap. MOS will be great.

even after SuckerPunch?
I personally don't trust Snyder anymore.
I do, however believe in Henry Cavil, and I'm somewhat reassured by the fact that Nolan's attached to the project. That gives me hope.

I shall deffo be looking out to see what Nolan try's next. Inception was a great film as well, just thrown in the middle of his Batman trilogy-de-epic!

And I thought The Prestige was even better. I loved that he took a break in between Bat films. I like to think that it helped him in the long run, as he was able to shift gears, and then refocus as he went back to Batman.

And I thought The Prestige was even better. I loved that he took a break in between Bat films. I like to think that it helped him in the long run, as he was able to shift gears, and then refocus as he went back to Batman.

Wasn't a massive fan of The Prestige myself but hey cant like every film I guess, but yeah, probably helped taking a break after TDK to let that settle and do Inception, let him re-focus for the final Bat film so he could think clearly about what he wanted to do and not just rush it or copy the last one and end up with a weak ending.

I totally understand why he wants to move on though, sad as it is for us, but there comes a point where you can over do it and you never know what the next person might come up with.

True, but it is more realistic to try and clean up the entire city if you want to change things than beating up criminals one at a time. As Rachel says, "Falcone may not have killed your parents, but he floods the streets with new Joe Chills everyday....and is destroying everything your parents stood for."

If he can improve Gotham economically, weed out corruption in its institutions (which he did somewhat given how awful the police department looks in BB compared to TDKR or the DA Office between BB and TDK), and take away the stranglehold of mob money on the city, it will make a ton of difference. As bad as local crime (and corruption) is now in Chicago, it looks a lot better compared to when Chicago was ruled by a gangland culture in the 1920s and 1930s.

Another way to put it, as someone as interested in making parallels with Batman to the real world as Nolan is, they probably don't want the focus to be about the rich guy who puts on a suit to beat up poor people every night with no longterm goal. Burton liked that because he saw Wayne as a damaged freak, a man truly as crazy (or close to it) as his villains are. Nolan wanted his Bruce to not be crazy, but driven to actually making Gotham a better place.

I watched most of Batman '89 last night and Keaton was spot on in his portrayal of Batman. Yeah, the suit looks uncomfortable, but nobody is going to look 100% cool (facially) when wearing the cowl. They will always either look too small or too chubby. But his performance was amazing.

He's is to Batman what Sean Connery is to Bond. He defined it, and though I feel Bale is the better all around Wayne/Batman, it's not really a slight against Keaton. Sort of like those who think Craig has become the best Bond, but still love Connery's portrayal. I'd say those two are the only ones who have ever done the character real justice.

I like B'89 quite a lot. I don't think TDKR is that much better if at all to it. However, while I think Keaton gave a great performance, the screenplays never let him shine the way Bale has. And given he was so uncerimonously replaced in Batman 3 (though it works out as it allows fans of Burton's take to ignore those sequels) and Batman 4, he comes off as expendable.

I think for the GA--not fans--Bale has redefined Batman more than any actor since Adam West. I think for at least a generation, people will compare all other Batmans to Nolan/Bale's take. Instead of hearing, "Pow!" "Wam!" and "ambiguous gay duo," jokes, the pop culture image of Batman is Bale's growly voice going up against Ledger's Joker in dark lighting.

I think Bale has become both the Connery and the Craig for the current generation. He isn't the first like Connery, but because he had three films that are tightly interwoven and ensured he was the lead, he will be viewed by as Batman for most GA and certainly anyone who didn't grow up on the Keaton movies. It is pretty strong, I think.

I'm also glad they didn't spend time every film showing him protect civilians. Would have got boring if he did that all the time when you know he's always got something larger at scale to take down.

Best thing about Nolan is that he is young and that he is a genius, his best work is yet to come IMO, his work so far is exceptional and some of the best the art of Cinema has ever seen.

I'm also glad they didn't spend time every film showing him protect civilians. Would have got boring if he did that all the time when you know he's always got something larger at scale to take down.

Saving Rachel on the train from a potential mugging was a nice touch of Batman patrolling.

And like someone has already mentioned, in TDK Batman's presence was hugely felt throughout the criminal underworld. Everyone was worried about him, from big timers to small timers.

If he had done that, people (in fact many poster on this boards) say that here is an example of a grown up rich man with hi tech gadgets and resources beating up poor people who have no other option but to steal and live on streets with a life of crime, something that many job less and homeless get drawn into.

Besides, isn't patrolling streets to maintain everyday law and order a job of Cops ?

If Gotham is free of corruption (not completely but to a large extent) then why can't Cops handle petty thieves and small time criminals ?

Of his non Batman films, Memento is still a film that has yet to be topped in terms of story structure. Once you see it for the first time, you want to go back and re-watch everything a few times and try to imagine the correct timeline of events in your head (more so than Inception or Prestige). I had to watch it at least two times after my first viewing. It's so damn good.

Of his non Batman films, Memento is still a film that has yet to be topped in terms of story structure. Once you see it for the first time, you want to go back and re-watch everything a few times and try to imagine the correct timeline of events in your head (more so than Inception or Prestige). I had to watch it at least two times after my first viewing. It's so damn good.

doesnt the blu ray or dvd have an option to view the film forwards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"