The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Cinema Blend's Katey Rich's Response to Fan Reaction to Shailene Woodley.

eh I honestly have no knowledge of her acting, I dont think she looks unlikable though, but its a fair opinion on your part and I respect it. To me she is still a "normal" girl but has more of a "look" i would have preferred for MJ.
Felicity+Jones+Orange+British+Academy+Film+Eu0bLDygTznl.jpg

Fanboys are a weird bunch. They're extremely passionate whether it be wanting what they want or feeling a massive entitlement to defend what they like.

Woodley probably thinks both sides are a ridiculous joke.

I don't like either side being assumptive and lumping everyone into a group. I comment on her looks in the pics but my comments are geared towards the hair and makeup department. Not the girl herself who can look quite perfect for MJ.

I like being in the middle seeing both sides... Id rather not be narrow minded enough to only see one way and call people out on it.

Criticism is ok, just don't be mean about it. And also don't be ridiculously sensitive about another opinion either...

Yeah, taking the middle ground is a better idea, especially in terms of adaptions of book/comics. Film makers will make choices and take liberties in certain areas e.g casting, story, costumes that might rile up fans, but does make sense. Sometimes an actor can give a good performance during an audition, but doesn't have the look - so the film makers sometimes have to compromise e.g ignoring height, ethnicity etc. if the actor/actress passed the casting process. Look at Kingpin in the DareDevil film, Hugh Jackman, Perry White in Man of Steel.

You are right that there are people that can be extremely one-sided that they can forget other aspects. I remember being in the middle when Daniel Craig was announced as Bond. Some fans were crazy rejecting him based on looks and others saying he is perfect and mocking the earlier Bond actors.

An Erik Larson MJ in reality would look like a Playboy model e.g hair extensions, breast enlargement, possibly two ribs removed to get that figure. The film makers want actors in the films they are making (Micheal Bay excluded), who have talent and can match the character. The problem is some people can't see it that way.

I'm not talking about her looks, she's not the type of actress that can play MJ.

Ah like I said, I have no prior knowledge of her acting OR shailenes. I was just using her as an example of someone who is not unworldly hot, but still had more of the MJ look to me. If you say she cant play the part, then I cant argue as you have seen her act and I havent.

"Bruce Wayne supposed to be a tall, muscular, and handsome!"
And there was Michael Keaton.

"Joker supposed to be a skinny guy! And has those big teeth!"
And there was Nicholson. And Ledger.

"But.. But.. But curvaceous body is one of the most important thing about MJ"
"Is being tall and handsome also is one of the important thing being Bruce Wayne?"

To be fair, the tall, muscular and handsome Bale sold Bruce far better then Keaton managed.

Also, I'm pretty sure Ledger lost a lot of weight for the role of Joker.

Woodley while counting her money hears about the negative fan reaction to her set photos...

Woodley - 'meh'

She's getting at least a hundred grand.

That would be sad.

Jersey Shore cast members make more than that for a single episode.

Pretty sure its more than that but not that much more. But what can you do when you have hardly any clout being such a young actress. Very rarely do we get somebody like Jennifer Lawrence who racks up major award nominations/wins. Plus star in mainstream blockbusters.

LOL, I doubt Woodely even knows about the set pics. She might find out later on in the year way after filming is finished a vauge 'fan reaction' to her. When actors are in the thick of it they probably don't even touch the internet.

Anyway, there is a thing where sometimes filmakers are given a huge artistic licence to change comic book characters. Rami was obviously given this. Many reacted badly to Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane. Many feeling she discredited the character. I think people have every right to be suspisious of Woodely. It would be different if everyone loved Kirsten and thought she nailed it. Sorry but no-one did. Or at best about 5% of people out of 100% thought she nailed it. Those people don't give a flying f how Shailene does. They already have their perfect MJ. So yes, people can go on about it and critise her as much as they damn well want to.

Regarding Shailene IF she did find out there was a bad reaction she would probably laugh her ass off. She doesn't seem the type to be fased to me. She has probably never even touched a comic in her life. I mean she might of, I don't know.

Her face doesn't look bloated at all to me but okay.
If you look at some pics of her from last year it's fairly noticeable.

LOL, I doubt Woodely even knows about the set pics. She might find out later on in the year way after filming is finished a vauge 'fan reaction' to her. When actors are in the thick of it they probably don't even touch the internet.

Anyway, there is a thing where sometimes filmakers are given a huge artistic licence to change comic book characters. Rami was obviously given this. Many reacted badly to Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane. Many feeling she discredited the character. I think people have every right to be suspisious of Woodely. It would be different if everyone loved Kirsten and thought she nailed it. Sorry but no-one did. Or at best about 5% of people out of 100% thought she nailed it. Those people don't give a flying f how Shailene does. They already have their perfect MJ. So yes, people can go on about it and critise her as much as they damn well want to.

Regarding Shailene IF she did find out there was a bad reaction she would probably laugh her ass off. She doesn't seem the type to be fased to me. She has probably never even touched a comic in her life. I mean she might of, I don't know.
I'm fairly certain her and her agency know about them by now.

Well, Emma had said she had logged on to fanboy sites in the past, so who knows if Shailene has gone to websites like that too. But yeah, I doubt she would care what is said about her. It's a job and it comes with the territory, she has known that since the moment she signed for that role. She has just as much defenders as nay-sayers anyway.

^ Can people please stop acting like bullying is something that actors and actresses have to put up with? There's a huge difference between criticism and bullying, and the majority of the backlash falls into the latter category rather than the former.

You don't have to tell me that, I know it. I am against that too. All I'm saying is I don't think she would care about it.

Just my opinion but I beg to differ.
So you "beg to differ" by posting a pic. That's your criteria for MJ. Pictures. Having actually seen them both act, I think Shailene is MUCH better suited to MJ, no contest.

You don't have to tell me that, I know it. I am against that too. All I'm saying is I don't think she would care about it.

OK, now I can see what you're trying to say, although I think 'care' is the wrong word to use. Most people are going to likely be upset if they're on the receiving end of bullying, but they might choose not to react to it. It doesn't mean they don't care that they're being bullied; they're just choosing to ignore it.

Unfortunately that will never change. On the chinatown pics posted on the front SHH page, someone said they should stick with Gwen and kill off the "man-she MJ" instead. People like that will never go away. We don't have to be "okay with it" but it's part of the fandom, as embarrassed as I am to even call it a fandom. It is what it is, those types of people will go away only if the internet goes away. There's nothing we can do about it, jumping to conclusions and lack of logic is on every single website. I try to ignore it as much as I can.

So you "beg to differ" by posting a pic. That's your criteria for MJ. Pictures. Having actually seen them both act, I think Shailene is MUCH better suited to MJ, no contest.

I even stated I have no real knowledge of either of their acting, I saw Shailene in the Descendants for like 5 minutes and she didnt blow me away either. I take anyones word for it who says Felicity cant play MJ. But I have also heard plenty of people say Shailene is awful on whatever abc family show she did or whatever it was. So when I show pics of Felicity, its more about illustrating the fact that those who wanted someone who looks different (not talking about the mean people) werent always saying they needed a playboy/victoria secret model to play the part, simply that there are normal girls out there who fit the look better than Shailene. That is all.

^ Can people please stop acting like bullying is something that actors and actresses have to put up with? There's a huge difference between criticism and bullying, and the majority of the backlash falls into the latter category rather than the former.

.... Im glad you eventually understood this from the following posts... But Jesus its been what I've been iterating to you a hundred times already its disgusting and not ok that celebs have to deal with this behavior. But it DOES come with the territory... And as wrong as it is to bully those people won't be going away so they DO have to learn how to handle it.

Its not condoing or saying its ok to support this behavior. It just is a sad (and awful) truth about it.

Last edited:
^ You really shouldn't make assertions if you don't have any way to back them up.

^ You really shouldn't make assertions if you don't have any way to back them up.

?

I think plenty of people saying the same thing to you is enough.

Instead you assume that by saying "she has to get use to it due to being in a public eye" those people are saying its ok to bully. Which is beyond ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"