Civil War Civil War Rotten Tomatoes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel pretty confident that this film is going to end 90%+ score on RT.

Mathematically speaking, 1/9 reviews could be negative from here on to 300 reviews (so 33 negative reviews) and the movie would still be at 90%.

Given how stellar the reviews and ratings have been thus far, I really don't see how it would manage to rack up that many negatives.

If we extrapolate based on the current ratio of positive:negative, we end up at 97%. If we assume that these early reviews are going to be more positive than average (good will from comic book fans, etc) and make it 15:1 (as opposed to 29:1), the movie ends up 94%.

For those wondering about the 9 to 8.5 drop, the thing is, because lots of reviewers don't assign a grade, that one negative review carried more weight. I'm sure RT doesn't count C as 0, but rather as 5 or 6, but the fact is that there were just a fews grades counted and that 5 or 6 was enough to drag it down to 8.5.

I think this movie will end up like Deadpool. DP was in the 90s until the day before it's release, it dropped into the 80s

I think this movie will end up like Deadpool. DP was in the 90s until the day before it's release, it dropped into the 80s
It had a lower average rating though. That's what suggests that a film will eventually get negatives. If more of the current CW reviews had been 3 star than 5 star even 80% wouldn't be guaranteed. Thor had nearly 100% for a long time but the reviews weren't as glowing which suggested it would be difficult to keep up that streak till the end. But for eg Iron Man and TDK after 50 or so reviews you could tell from the wording in the reviews that they were going to be decent and score well with just the nominal amount of compulsory negatives.

There's still heckuva a lot of reviews out there 4/5 and 5/5 from trades like Radio times, international business times, digital spy, and nerdiest that haven't been counted.

Also it always seems like there are more of a concentration of bad reviews towards the end.

At this point I think this movie will land above 90%, possibly mid-90s like Iron Man. We're not going to get 29:1 ratio of fresh to rotten reviews for the next 200, think we should set that expectation. But let's say a 15:1 ratio for the next 200 reviews, that puts the final RT at 94%. At 10:1 ratio for the next 200, that gives us 92%. Probably will land somewhere in that range.

To drop below 90%, we need to get a ratio of about 7:1 in fresh vs rotten reviews. That's a pretty large number of rottens that's being held back if you ask me, doubtful it'll fall below 10:1 but we'll see.

Just saw a "They need to stop making these movies now" type review. People get really PO'd over weird things. Why? Its just a movie. Did it run over your dog? No.

It depends. Sometimes its people who hate popular blockbusters, because they want more "artistic" movies to be dominant. Sometimes its because they are partisan, and want the other guy ( DC or Fox, typically, for a Marvel movie ) to do better.

It depends. Sometimes its people who hate popular blockbusters, because they want more "artistic" movies to be dominant. Sometimes its because they are partisan, and want the other guy ( DC or Fox, typically, for a Marvel movie ) to do better.

Sometimes it's because they genuinely didn't like the movie. I'm a big fan of the genre but i do wish these movies pushed the envelope a little more often, because narratively they tend to be quite uninspiring, so i can fully understand why some people might feel a little tired of movies that end up being so formulatic. This goes for almost every single SH movie, with maybe a few exceptions.

OK but that doesnt justify it. CW isnt formulaic really from what Ive heard.

I dont accept that kind of review. They dismiss the movie, I dismiss their opinion. Case closed.

Last edited:
The examples above are "genuine". They genuinely don't like the movie for reasons. What's your point?

T"Challa;33494761 said:
Is it weird that i feel a little antsy about all these glowing reviews? lol. I find myself thinking "Is it really that good? CAN it be that good?" Everything they are saying about Black Panther is driving me nuts. I still cant believe he's finally here

Actually, its probably healthy. It means you aren't existing inside a reality distortion zone where poor outcomes are literally unthinkable. Embrace the doubt as proof that you aren't an irrational fanboy.

It's not a rational criticism. It's going in knowingly you're going to dislike a movie. That shouldn't be counted as a review!

^^ Exactly. Its prejudice against a certain genre no matter the quality of the film.

I hate crime/sci fi/musicals/horror films etc etc so I dont care if this one is really good Im giving it a negative review

F that.

You can see that the majority of reviewers are just watching the movie and judging it based on if they thought it was well made or not. You dont even have to be a super hero film geek like most of us to enjoy it.

Last edited:
I can't see this dropping below 90% at this point.

Almost 100 positives and only one negative.

And that negative was highly suspect.

OK but that doesnt justify it. CW isnt formulaic really from what Ive heard.

I dont accept that kind of review. They dismiss the movie, I dismiss their opinion. Case closed.
I get the idea that there won't be a single negative review that you'll consider to be genuine.

Come on guys, get real! My realistic prediction is 85-90%, maybe even early 80s, very few CBMs manage to stay in the 90s

I think it will stay in the low 90's. I'm sure we'll get a few rotten ones from those critics from newspaper, etc.

Theres a new metacritic score at 60. I hope the metacritic score will stay in the mid-high 70's. I believe Spiderman 2 at 83 is actually the highest CBM, where as TDK is at 82. So, getting above 70 is already a feat. I expect the critics like Dana Stevens, AO Scott to give it lower scores. Avengers is only at 69 and Winter Soldier is only at 70, so anything above 70 will be great.

It doesn't matter if it beats Spider-man 2 or TDK. IT MEANS NOTHING. Dark Knight Rises has 78 Metacritic score and TWS has 70, Deadpool has 65 and they are far better movies. Don't chase ghosts. Very few cbms stay above 90, in fact only 7 in the history of the gnere have done it. And more than 70 comic book movies exist overall. If CW stays in the 90 this is impressive on it's own.

So with today Friday I mean depending on where you live now making 2 weeks in till the movie comes out. Do you guys think the reviews may start to come out much faster? I mean we have only been getting like a few reviews a day or even none some days. With it now being 2 weeks maybe the reviews will start coming out much faster to get the final hype marketing kind of thing going.

It's not a rational criticism. It's going in knowingly you're going to dislike a movie. That shouldn't be counted as a review!
Most importantly, a review from a person who doesn't like CB movies for some reason is not useful to me personally. That tells me exactly nothing about whether or not I, as a person who loves the genre, will like the movie. That type of critic is for people who do not like CB movies.

....Which pretty much tells you how pointless it was for that critic to review the movie in the first place. ....They don't like the genre...people who can get some use from their opinion also do not like the genre. Pretty big waste of everyone's time there.

For those wondering about the 9 to 8.5 drop, the thing is, because lots of reviewers don't assign a grade, that one negative review carried more weight. I'm sure RT doesn't count C as 0, but rather as 5 or 6, but the fact is that there were just a fews grades counted and that 5 or 6 was enough to drag it down to 8.5.
Going by this math from Erzengel...the C had to be counted as a 0 or 1. Which doesn't make sense.

9.0 @ 17 positives
8.5 after 1 negative.

17 x the average of 9 = 153
18 x the average of 8.5 = 153

Which means the the person who gave the negative vote gave the movie either a 0 or 1. Take into account rounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"