Days of Future Past Classic Professor X: The Patrick Stewart Thread

So, as expected, it turns out that Singer is using the after credits scene in X3 to explain Professor Xavier's return from the dead.

And I'm not surprised with that.

You know, there's always a way to work with the things that were already presented in the previous movies even if they weren't the best thing ever.

Not sure of whats the most recent news but a good way of explaining Charles being alive and using the X3 ending is this:

Have Charles in the body of that random man at the end of X3, but with his mind powers he presents the image of his former self and implants it into the mind of those around him, so he doesn't really look like Patrick Stewart, but people see him like that because it's his real (soul?) look and was he and others most identify with.

Whatda think?

It would even tie into the scene in The Wolverine "you aren't the only one with gifts"

Just being able to jump into another body in the first place covers that well enough, I'd think.

Duran Man said:
So, as expected, it turns out that Singer is using the after credits scene in X3 to explain Professor Xavier's return from the dead.

Well, that's exactly what X3 itself did.

Mad Ones said:
That quote on the main page of superhero hype has Patrick questioning how he would even be in this movie, and the stupid comatose twin brother thing isn't even mentioned, just time travel.

An "answer" blurted out by some fan which Stewart unfortunately agreed with. There are two problems. First, Singer's comments on the issue appear to point to a different outcome, one which might not end up 100% in line with the intent behind the X3 scene but which at least seems to follow the general idea. Secondly, chalking it up to the DOFP time travel, if you really think about it, doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Not sure of whats the most recent news but a good way of explaining Charles being alive and using the X3 ending is this:

Have Charles in the body of that random man at the end of X3, but with his mind powers he presents the image of his former self and implants it into the mind of those around him, so he doesn't really look like Patrick Stewart, but people see him like that because it's his real (soul?) look and was he and others most identify with.

Whatda think?

It would even tie into the scene in The Wolverine "you aren't the only one with gifts"

I can see this happening.... He's in the body of co motored man but through his psychic abilities he makes people see him as Charles xavier though he's in another body.....

Although judging by the chest hair from x1 that body looked like Stewart lol

I'm just going to tell myself that at some point, Xavier worked with Nathaniel Essex, who cloned him a body.

It's just easier.

I wonder what "construct a body" could mean. It kinda goes against the braindead twin idea; he wouldn't need a body to be constructed in that case.

But maybe it's not a twin but a random body which through his psychic powers anyone who looks at the moving body believe they are seeing xavier and hearing the voice of xavier, thus constructing his image through the brain dead body.

Xavier saying "You're not the only one with secrets" is a bit of a cop out; I don't think they'll bother explaining how it happened. More like "yeah, I'm a powerful mutant and I can do what I want, deal with it".

I can live with this. :p

Maybe its not an illusion perse but he manipulated the genes and atoms and molecules with his mind to actually physically change the body...

But I guess thats kind of like Mystique...just the opposite.

I'm just going to tell myself that at some point, Xavier worked with Nathaniel Essex, who cloned him a body.

It's just easier.

But even more random than the X3 explanation. It's not too much of a stretch that he had a twin who was left braindead while Xavier got all the brainpower to himself. It sort of happened in the comics with Cassandra Nova.

Singer is borrowing some elements of Cassandra Nova with his idea of Xavier constructing a body (he doesn't specify if the body is physical or an illusion):

From Wikipedia: Conceived without a body, Cassandra improvised one by copying Xavier's DNA to make her own body, effectively becoming his twin sister. She grew with her brother until the time when Charles sensed her monstrous thoughts. Charles attempted to kill the creature, resulting in its physical body being stillborn. Despite this, the creature survived as chaotic cellular matter and clung to a sewer wall for decades, rebuilding its physical form and perfecting its effort to mimic human traits.

Jean Grey later discovered that Cassandra Nova is the mummudrai. The mummudrai are a parasitic species born bodiless on the astral plane, and it was only through becoming entangled with Charles Xavier's developing telepathic mind that Cassandra Nova created a body for herself.

Xavier saying "You're not the only one with secrets" is a bit of a cop out; I don't think they'll bother explaining how it happened. More like "yeah, I'm a powerful mutant and I can do what I want, deal with it".

The line in The Wolverine was "You're not the only one with gifts" Your line makes it sound like they are not going to explain how he came back and just keeping it a "secret."

The line in The Wolverine was "You're not the only one with gifts" Your line makes it sound like they are not going to explain how he came back and just keeping it a "secret."

Exactly. It was a callback to the original movie, back to when Logan and the Professor first met. They weren't going to explain it all in an end-credits scene, since the point was to show that the Professor had returned.

The mid credits scene was nice callback to both X-Men and X2.Hopefully some more callbacks In DOFP.

As for xavier's return I see It as cross between cloning Xavier which allowed him to survive the brood and the Cassandra Nova thing.

It's also a cool callback to First Class when Xavier and Magneto first approached Wolverine together to recruit him.

I don't think they are going to explain it anyway.

I don't think they are going to explain it anyway.

There's been no indication that they won't. :huh:

Think about how that scene was set up: Logan was obviously stunned when he saw the Professor, and the first thing he asked was, "How is this possible?"

If they're not going to explain how he came back, why bother putting that in there?

I think Magneto approached him first because he was the one Logan knew to still be alive (plus, it made for an even better end-credits stinger to have Xavier turn up at the end). Even he admitted that Logan had no reason to believe anything he said.

"You're not the only one with gifts," is a callback to what Xavier told Logan when they first met - right before he explained everything about the school and who the X-Men were.

That's completely setting up for an explanation of how he got there. Next summer, of course. :cwink:

Patrick Stewart already said that there will be an explanation for his return.

"I wasn't given all the answers I wanted in a 60 second long post-credit sequence? What kind of bull**** is this, Fox?!"

:o

Patrick Stewart already said that there will be an explanation for his return.

I hope it involves a cocoon of telekinetic energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"