Classic Professor X: The Patrick Stewart Thread

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by psylockolussus, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Well-Known Member

All hail Sir Lobster!

2. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

It wasn't the best narration but yes, they should have kept it!

And I don't like Ratner's reasoning for dropping the voice-over.

3. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Of course they should have kept it. It was based partly on a speech by Abraham Lincoln. Maybe it should be reinstated in the next DVD edition!

4. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

I don't like Ratner for dropping A LOT of things, including Xavier and Cyclops's lives.

5. psylockolussus

It wasn't his decision to kill those two.

6. Farren

Farren Side Kicker

Yeah I think Ratner was just there to follow Fox's marching orders. He showed up and filmed what he was told to. Had he cared to, he might have been able to throw his weight around with the story; directors often do that, and someone like Singer or Vaughn probably would have, at least to an extent. But that's why Fox wanted Ratner: to just film the script, even if it sucked.

Personally I think Xavier got it the worst in X3. Not because he died (he reaped what he sowed as far as I'm concerned), but because he was written like an arrogant jerk who took it upon himself to mess with Jean Grey's psyche when he was supposed to be her teacher, and who gave up on Scott instead of trying to help him. I'd love to see that addressed in DoFP with the two Xaviers agreeing to trying to change how all that went down. Not because I want Scott or Jean back, but because Xavier left such a crappy legacy behind in X3.

7. zz4

zz4 New Member

My theory on the new movie is that there will be a lot of time traveling to pluck individuals out of their respective roles. Someone might, for instance, pull xavier out at the last minute before he dies and bring him to the future. He is still "dead" to everyone in X3, but he is alive in the future. Jean and Scott die because it requires a lot of energy to go back, and most people who bring another individual back die after they come back to their own time because of the strain.

In order to go back, someone like rogue has to endure for the person who has the power to travel.

8. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

It's very telling that when Wolverine calls him out of it, he offers no real defense. He just tells Wolverine that he doesn't need to explain himself. I want Scott and Jean back. They got screwed over big time in X3, especially Scott. At least Jean got to be interesting in The Wolverine, Scott got nothing.

9. The Caped Knight

The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

The One, the only Original Charles Xavier
    [​IMG]

10. psylockolussus

This one screams "Professor X".

The other one, the James McAvoy cover, nope.

I like the detailing on Prof X's costume!

11. Hellion

Hellion Oppa Is Here

Love the chair and uniform and I agree Psy, it screams Professor X.

12. BETArayBill

BETArayBill Well-Known Member

Ya but he made rush hour one two and three and that's just unforgivable

13. Loganbabe

Loganbabe Don't want your future

How was the McAvoy cover supposed to "scream" Professor X, I wonder...

He is the original, but not the only one Xavier. Why disregard another incredibly talented actor?

The young Charles/McAvoy backlash around here is ridiculous. I'd like to see what would happen if people started doing the same to young Magneto/Fassbender.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  14. ChildofAtom

ChildofAtom Well-Known Member

Honestly, being bald, or at least showing hair loss would have been a start.. :whatever:

Edit: Though to be fair to McAvoy, I'm sure that wasn't his decision to make..

15. psylockolussus

Maybe he should have been sitting in a wheelchair, I suppose? People who haven't seen First Class or the trailer of DOFP wouldn't know thats supposed to be the "younger" version of Professor X if they randomly see that picture.

16. GuestStar2004

GuestStar2004 Well-Known Member

Its likely to be explained how he loses his hair anyway

17. ChildofAtom

I know, I actually think we'll probably get that at some point in this movie. But in the context of the magazine covers, I can't help but feel McAvoy's wasn't as "Xavier" as it could have been since they chose to use his 70's hair for the shot.

18. Loganbabe

Just seems to me to be hating on an actor for the sake of it. The way young Professor X is presented is not his choice. So why the "going bald and be shown in a wheelchair" stuff should be considered his responsibility? His only responsibility is to go and do a good acting. Knowing him I know that he'll do the character justice - he already did it in First Class.

The "one and only Charles Xavier" thing is petty. Professor X is being portrayed by two great actors.

19. psylockolussus

Or you're being too defensive. I know you love James McAvoy but I wasn't "hating" on the actor "for the sake of it". My comment was directly on the cover, not the actor itself.

And no one just said Patrick Stewart is the "one and only Charles Xavier".

20. The Caped Knight

The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Oh don't get me wrong James did a good job as a young Xavier. However Stewart's portrayal is iconic both in look and character since he's done 3 films .

21. Loganbabe

Quoted from the post showing the Patrick poster.

22. psylockolussus

Well he is the only and one ORIGINAL Professor X.

you missed the word Original there.

23. Loganbabe

Doesn't make much of a difference. It's another way of saying there's only ONE Xavier worth noticing.

24. Super Film

Super Film Well-Known Member

It'll be okay.

25. ChildofAtom

To reiterate, in my opinion, in the context of the magazine covers, we can't actually take their acting portrayal into consideration much since the covers are a reflections of sheer imagery, being without motion and all. I believe a good deal of the comments made were also being stated within this context, and thus, as much as I actually enjoyed McAvoy's performance as a young Xavier, and as much as I understand that most(if not all) of the decisions regarding the cover were not his to make, that doesn't change the fact that McAvoy's cover bears very little resemblance to any of the things that makes Charles Xavier, either comic book -or- movie-verse version, noteworthy or iconic. And that is why me and several others were stating that we felt that the Patric Stewart cover was generally coming off and much more "Xavier" than the McAvoy version.