The Dark Knight Rises Comparing Batman Vs. Bane fight from movie to comic

While I think the film fight itself is better and caputures the spirit of knightfall, I ultimately prefer the comics Bane's motivation. In Knightfall Bane had deduced who Bruce was and was obsessed with him. It could even be argued on some subconcious level , Bane feared him . It's a much stronger motivator than , I'm here to fufill Ra's al ghul's destiny. On the other hand prefer his "No man's land/ Dictator angle to him wanting to just become head of the Gotham crime syndicate, even if the whole nuclear bomb thing is iffy for me.

I do think however that the idea of a retired and out of shape Batman going up against Bane instead of a Batman who's worn down does make a bit more sense. I can also see why he didn't go into his home and break him , given that Ra's broke in Bruce's home and attacked him in BB so it would seem like a retread.

I was actually suprise we had another prison break given that we had a prison break of Arkham in BB.

TDKR had a few repetitive elements like that. Another prison break. Another AL Ghul pretending to be someone they're not. Another doomsday device to destroy Gotham.

While I think the film fight itself is better and caputures the spirit of knightfall, I ultimately prefer the comics Bane's motivation. In Knightfall Bane had deduced who Bruce was and was obsessed with him. It could even be argued on some subconcious level , Bane feared him . It's a much stronger motivator than , I'm here to fufill Ra's al ghul's destiny. On the other hand prefer his "No man's land/ Dictator angle to him wanting to just become head of the Gotham crime syndicate, even if the whole nuclear bomb thing is iffy for me.

I dug the LOS angle with Bane because it made a more personal antagonist for Bruce. There's a brotherly angle to it with them having the same figurative father, which itself is something that has been addressed in the comics before. Bruce as the prodigal son who rejected his father and Bane the bastard that the father rejected. Visually you can really get a sense of that when they lock hands in the second fight, it's almost like two siblings wrestling.

I think it really depends on what we're talking about. I think I enjoy the impact and meaning of the fight in the comic more. Bane throwing him into the streets and declaring himself the owner of Gotham. It was powerful.

I liked the dynamics of the movie more. The fact that Batman is throwing the most punches this time, having absolutely no effect. The most haunting part of the whole fight to me was when Bane climbs the stairs onto the bridge of the second platform and we see Batman raise his fists and give a ferral yell in pain/exhaustion.

I think the film did the book justice, and I think in terms of being an interesting and well done scene, TDKR takes it for me.

I dug the LOS angle with Bane because it made a more personal antagonist for Bruce. There's a brotherly angle to it with them having the same figurative father, which itself is something that has been addressed in the comics before. Bruce as the prodigal son who rejected his father and Bane the bastard that the father rejected. Visually you can really get a sense of that when they lock hands in the second fight, it's almost like two siblings wrestling.

LOS worked for me because it wasn't beaten over our heads or handled badly (see speculation that Bane was injured when Bruce blew up the monastery in BB). I wasn't a fan of the nuke; however I get that it was what kept the military from just doing a full-on attack against Bane. A more plausible take on Gotham being a No Man's Land.

With the 8 years exile, Bane showing Gotham a defeated Batman wouldn't make as big an impact as it did in the comics.

Yup. The brotherly angle gelled very naturally with the inherent competitive streak of Bane and him wanting to prove his superiority over Batman. The favored son/rejected son thing was a nice element to have, especially when Ra's is the father that Bruce ultimately rejects. It's two sons estranged from the father, one by choice, the other against his will. One could also say Bane represents all the more evil, drastic qualities of Ra's while Bruce embodies his nobility and more admirable traits. Bruce=Ra's gone right, Bane=Ra's gone worse.

Bane definitely has a personal bone to pick with Bruce, but it still felt like the comics in that Bane was still this foreign, previously unknown threat that's come to Gotham to punish Batman. I was slightly concerned they'd go the route that Bane was one of the ninjas in the monastery when it blew up and that's how he was injured, which would have been too literal and convenient. Much more compelling that he was kicked out of the league by Ra's prior, which most likely lead to Ra's recruiting Bruce as his potential successor.

LOS worked for me because it wasn't beaten over our heads or handled badly (see speculation that Bane was injured when Bruce blew up the monastery in BB).

Edit: Totally on the same wavelength as you there.

Last edited:
I love both. But two things the comic's has over TDKR's is Bane figured out Bruce's identity for himself rather have the second hand info passed onto him by the LOS.

The other is what he did was to humiliate Batman and prove he was better than him. He was trying to prove he was the better man and he could beat Batman and take his city from him. In TDKR Bane was just fulfilling the work of a man who hated him and excommunicated him.
I think the movie fight is very good, but I agree with your points in regards to the background details Joker. I prefer the comics there, and it is hard to beat the batcave as a backdrop.

Movie version is way way better. Bane's lines in the confrontation are absolutely legendary. And the editing of the whole scene is brilliant (especially the sound design).
Bane's dialogue was what really made the film version for me. It added to it, definitely.

I liked how the movie kind of put a twist on the Batcave scenario by making the fight take place in Bane's own "Batcave" that's also right beneath Applied Sciences. Everything from Bane cracking the cowl, to the charges being blown and the Tumbler crashing down, to the breaking of the Bat was horrific in the way it all unfolded. Having the moment Bane takes Batman out happen alongside the moment you realize just how f***ed Gotham is was a pretty powerful one-two punch.

"Your precious armory...gratefully accepted, we will need it!" Every Bane line in that whole scene, brilliant.

I think it really depends on what we're talking about. I think I enjoy the impact and meaning of the fight in the comic more. Bane throwing him into the streets and declaring himself the owner of Gotham. It was powerful.

I liked the dynamics of the movie more. The fact that Batman is throwing the most punches this time, having absolutely no effect. The most haunting part of the whole fight to me was when Bane climbs the stairs onto the bridge of the second platform and we see Batman raise his fists and give a ferral yell in pain/exhaustion.

I think the film did the book justice, and I think in terms of being an interesting and well done scene, TDKR takes it for me.

I pretty much agree. The thing about the comics is Bane broke him down strategically before trying to confront him. In the film, Bane breaks him down systematically through combat but even more so psychologically.

The greatest part for me, I've said plenty of times, is when Bane grabs Batman out of the shadows, illustrating the point to his story in a more visceral way than the comics. All of his parlor tricks, theatricality, deception, it's not going to work. These are all learned tactics for Bruce, whereas they're life lessons of survival for Bane.

I pretty much agree. The thing about the comics is Bane broke him down strategically before trying to confront him. In the film, Bane breaks him down systematically through combat but even more so psychologically.

The greatest part for me, I've said plenty of times, is when Bane grabs Batman out of the shadows, illustrating the point to his story in a more visceral way than the comics. All of his parlor tricks, theatricality, deception, it's not going to work. These are all learned tactics for Bruce, whereas they're life lessons of survival for Bane.

dat sentence :hrt:

I really didn't get that sense from the film. I think the film shoulda played with that idea but I really didn't feel that it was a real personal battle at least from what's on the screen. It became so for Bruce in the second fight , but I really didn't get a feeling that this was personal on Bane's behalf in the first fight. If anything, Bane seemed more by Bruce's futile efforts than showing a real personal disdain or resentment towards Bruce during the fight. At least that's the sense I got.

yeah i kinda got the feeling that talia and bane werent really there for batman at all, they were just there to complete ras al ghuls goal of deatroying gotham, talia even say it herelf that gettin revenge on bruce was more of a side misson to the main one, so yeah frodo i kinda go that feeling too that thr fight wasnt really personal for bane until he got his tubes detached at the end of their second fight

I liked how the movie kind of put a twist on the Batcave scenario by making the fight take place in Bane's own "Batcave" that's also right beneath Applied Sciences.
Yeah, that was interesting. Attacking Bane's lair but it's really squatting under your home turf.

Going on the aesthetics we got for the batcave in TDKR which really only had the raised cube platform, the sewer with the walkways/plenty of water as well, was the right choice.

yeah i kinda got the feeling that talia and bane werent really there for batman at all, they were just there to complete ras al ghuls goal of deatroying gotham, talia even say it herelf that gettin revenge on bruce was more of a side misson to the main one, so yeah frodo i kinda go that feeling too that thr fight wasnt really personal for bane until he got his tubes detached at the end of their second fight

Yeah and their plan didn't even make any sense for Ra's Al Ghul's destiny.

I really didn't get that sense from the film. I think the film shoulda played with that idea but I really didn't feel that it was a real personal battle at least from what's on the screen. It became so for Bruce in the second fight , but I really didn't get a feeling that this was personal on Bane's behalf in the first fight. If anything, Bane seemed more by Bruce's futile efforts than showing a real personal disdain or resentment towards Bruce during the fight. At least that's the sense I got.

Well, getting revenge on Bruce was a huge part of Bane's plan. That's why he doesn't kill him and leaves him in the pit to watch Gotham suffer. I got a sense of his anger at Bruce when he talks about him betraying the league during the fight and that there's was a personal satisfaction for him to beat him down.

Now is this footage without audio, or are you saying you want all of Gotham to know Bruce Wayne is Batman?

I see what you're saying but at the same time it wouldn't matter especially with how the movie ended. To be honest with you I'm surprise the people of Gotham couldn't figure it out already. Bruce has been in exile and away from the public for the same amount years Batman's been. To the point the public started telling rumor and horror stories about Wayne. I wonder why one of the rumors wasn't Bruce Wayne being Batman.
Heck Blake could even figure out he was Batman by just at looking at him.
I also wonder why the public couldn't put two and two together that both Batman and Wayne were the same person b/c of the 8 year absence. It made sense why Batman decided to lay low ( eventhough I didn't like how that was handled in the movie) but why Wayne?

I'd rather they had a scene of Bane showing Gotham that he defeated Batman. Telling them that Batman won't get them out of this situation he's putting them in. Making Gotham lose even more hope. I agree that videotape idea doesn't seem like what Bane would do. And would give away Wayne was Batman, but it would've been interesting if Bane rubbed it in everyones face that he broken Gotham's only hope. They could've at least shown Bane with Batman's costume (Afterall Bruce wasn't in his costume in the prison. So where was it?) or holding what's left of his cowl during one of his speeches. Letting Gotham know that Batman won't save them this time. I think it would've been interesting but that's just me.

With the 8 years exile, Bane showing Gotham a defeated Batman wouldn't make as big an impact as it did in the comics.

True but it would've been a wake up call for Gotham that even Batman wouldn't get them out of this one. They would have to depend on themselves. The movie had people speculating where Batman was after Bane took over Gotham when people were already doing that before his return from his 8 year hiatus/retirement. I think it would've made Batman's second return more powerful having Gotham believe he was dead. But tbh that 8 year exile pretty much ruined that idea. So forget it.

Bane definitely has a personal bone to pick with Bruce, but it still felt like the comics in that Bane was still this foreign, previously unknown threat that's come to Gotham to punish Batman.
I'll admit Bane's dialogue did make me think of Bane from the comics but that all got wiped out and not to mention became pointless
when Nolan decided to combine Bane and Talia's origins.
That was a kick in the "you know what" for me when that was revealed. Bane again got reduced to another henchmen. That's going to hurt that scene even more (for me anyways) on repeated viewings.

I liked the lack of music in the fight but the comic version is even more quiet. In fact, the comic version doesn't have any sound at all. Just silence, eerie silence. They also brilliantly allowed us only the moments of most importance by freeze framing them.

Woah.

I'll admit Bane's dialogue did make me think of Bane from the comics but that all got wiped out and not to mention became pointless
when Nolan decided to combine Bane and Talia's origins.
That was a kick in the "you know what" for me when that was revealed. Bane again got reduced to another henchmen. That's going to hurt that scene even more (for me anyways) on repeated viewings.

I don't think that necessarily has to be the case. Bane speaks about being "born in darkness", and there's nothing in the film that contradicts this. Granted, the movie leaves it ambiguous, but I don't think he'd lie to Bruce about being born in darkness when there's no reason to as it doesn't accomplish much. If anything, Bane is a character that uses the truth as a weapon in this film so it'd be out of character to lie about his own past. If Bane had also been down in the pit serving out a life sentence in the place of someone else, it would even make sense of why he felt a strong connection with Talia. The film never says there was only person to ever be born in the pit.

I think Bane's origin is ultimately left open to interpretation and that's how I interpret it. In fact I think this is a case where knowledge of the comics can act as supplemental information for the film if you want it to, as nothing contradicts it. The fact that in the comics Bane's father was a revolutionary and movie Bane certainly had that in him, for instance.

I see what you're saying but at the same time it wouldn't matter especially with how the movie ended. To be honest with you I'm surprise the people of Gotham couldn't figure it out already. Bruce has been in exile and away from the public for the same amount years Batman's been.

That's actually not correct. Bruce has only been in exile for 3 years, where-as Batman has been gone for the full 8. After he quit being Batman he tried to better Gotham economically, which is where Tate came in. She invested in the fusion reactor, which he built. But then around the same time Dr. Pavel wrote a paper on the dangers of that technology, causing Bruce to lie and say that his reactor was faulty. He's so damaged by this failure that he decides to go into hiding for 3 years. Which eventually Miranda calls him out on.

I have to admit, I've never gotten this viewpoint. What about the reveal makes Bane seem like a henchman? It totally reveals that he's not the sole conspirator, but what about it makes him a lapdog? Is it the fact that she gives him one request which he then immediately disobeys? Throughout the entire movie we've had evidence that Bane is a cunning strategist and an intellectual. Leaving an impression in my mind that he had an equal if not complete control over the planning and execution of their mission. Talia invested in the energy project and leaked info to Bane, that was the extent of her contribution, besides perhaps deciding to take revenge in the first place.

Maybe Batman & Robin screwed up the image of Bane THAT badly in people's minds.

That's actually not correct. Bruce has only been in exile for 3 years, where-as Batman has been gone for the full 8. After he quit being Batman he tried to better Gotham economically, which is where Tate came in. She invested in the fusion reactor, which he built. But then around the same time Dr. Pavel wrote a paper on the dangers of that technology, causing Bruce to lie and say that his reactor was faulty. He's so damaged by this failure that he decides to go into hiding for 3 years. Which eventually Miranda calls him out on.

Oh well thanks for correcting me on that. I've only seen the film once back on opening day and those details must've crossed my mind. Thanks for clearing that up.

I have to admit, I've never gotten this viewpoint. What about the reveal makes Bane seem like a henchman? It totally reveals that he's not the sole conspirator, but what about it makes him a lapdog? Is it the fact that she gives him one request which he then immediately disobeys? Throughout the entire movie we've had evidence that Bane is a cunning strategist and an intellectual. Leaving an impression in my mind that he had an equal if not complete control over the planning and execution of their mission. Talia invested in the energy project and leaked info to Bane, that was the extent of her contribution, besides perhaps deciding to take revenge in the first place.

Maybe Batman & Robin screwed up the image of Bane THAT badly in people's minds.

Well I guess the fact that Nolan gave Talia Bane's origin. Part of it anyways. With Talia and her mother being sent to a prison (eventhough it's not the same prison Bane was raised in the comics, which probably should've been an indicator to me right there) her father's crimes. And her escaping the pit/prison instead of Bane. Also Talia was never born and raised in a prison in the comics. To me when they revealed Talia as the child that escaped instead of Bane. And making Bane the prisoner who protected her. It made me think so who was Bane before that? This is what I got from it he was just another prisoner who never escaped but wanted to help Talia escape from the other prisoners b/c of her being just a child. Bane was then rewarded by Ra's for helping Talia excape by training him. Then decides to excommunicate him from the LOS b/c he reminds Ra's of the prison when looking at him. IDK I definitely need to see it again b/c Bane just came off as another henchman or less important after that reveal. It just felt like all the things we knew about Bane in the movie before the reveal got thrown out the window. I felt like I was duped.

Well I guess the fact that Nolan gave Talia Bane's origin. Part of it anyways. With Talia and her mother being sent to a prison (eventhough it's not the same prison Bane was raised in the comics, which probably should've been an indicator to me right there) her father's crimes. And her escaping the pit/prison instead of Bane. Also Talia was never born and raised in a prison in the comics. To me when they revealed Talia as the child that escaped instead of Bane. And making Bane the prisoner who protected her. It made me think so who was Bane before that? This is what I got from it he was just another prisoner who never escaped but wanted to help Talia escape from the other prisoners b/c of her being just a child. Bane was then rewarded by Ra's for helping Talia excape by training him. Then decides to excommunicate him from the LOS b/c he reminds Ra's of the prison when looking at him. IDK I definitely need to see it again b/c Bane just came off as another henchman or less important after that reveal. It just felt like all the things we knew about Bane in the movie before the reveal got thrown out the window. I felt like I was duped.

That still doesn't make Bane any sort of lackey. Of all the criticisms of the movie, this is the one I still fail to grasp. How anyone can't see how Talia & Bane needed each other to achieve separate goals is beyond me. I've already explained it ad nauseum so I won't divulge again, and I don't want you to think this is some kind of personal attack, it's not. I've just seen so many people here say it without really giving a good reason for such a leap.

It's a relationship based on love, somewhat fatherly, somewhat as siblings. They both saved each others lives, and now they work together to accomplish a goal. Bane's motivations are never said or presented to be just about Talia getting revenge.

How do we know how he really feels about Ras himself? The man did save his life too. Bane calls himself the LoS after all, how do we know he doesn't want revenge too? How do we know they both aren't leading the LoS? When were we privy to any inside conversations between the two that fleshed out who exactly came up with the plan and when?

That still doesn't make Bane any sort of lackey. Of all the criticisms of the movie, this is the one I still fail to grasp. How anyone can't see how Talia & Bane needed each other to achieve separate goals is beyond me. I've already explained it ad nauseum so I won't divulge again, and I don't want you to think this is some kind of personal attack, it's not. I've just seen so many people here say it without really giving a good reason for such a leap.

It's a relationship based on love, somewhat fatherly, somewhat as siblings. They both saved each others lives, and now they work together to accomplish a goal. Bane's motivations are never said or presented to be just about Talia getting revenge.

How do we know how he really feels about Ras himself? The man did save his life too. Bane calls himself the LoS after all, how do we know he doesn't want revenge too? How do we know they both aren't leading the LoS? When were we privy to any inside conversations between the two that fleshed out who exactly came up with the plan and when?

Well the fact that she's Ra's daughter was enough for me to believe she was the one in charge and came up with the plan. While Bane was just the "muscle" and following the orders. Look at how the way Bane acted around her when she revealed herself to Bruce. He was very loyal to Talia. Didn't she give him an order after her villain speech to Batman? I know some say he loved her, but again she was also Ra's daughter. She most likely took over the LOS after her father died. And wanted Bane to join her. He was her protector, muscle, and her second in command. That's just what I assumed. Tbh Bane being a lackey or whatever isn't what really bothers me. My main problem with how they handled Bane and Talia was how they combined the two characters the way Nolan did with Ducard and Ra's. I know it was clever to some. I kind of felt cheated out of Bane's origins. It reduced the character b/c of that.

Last edited:
Well the fact that she's Ra's daughter was enough for me to believe she was the one in charge and came up with the plan. While Bane was just the "muscle" and following the orders. Look at how the way Bane acted around her when she revealed herself to Bruce. He was very loyal to Talia. Didn't she give him an order? I know some say he loved her, but again she was also Ra's daughter. She most likely took over the LOS after her father died. And wanted Bane to join her. He was her protector, muscle, and her second in command. That's just what I assumed. Tbh Bane being a lackey or whatever isn't what really bothers me. My main problem with how they handled Bane and Talia was how they combined the two characters the way Nolan did with Ducard and Ra's. I know it was clever to some. I kind of felt cheated out of Bane's origins.

She did, but he also directly disobeyed it. I thought that alone showed that he was more than just some mindless lackey.

Bane was most certainly not only following orders though. He's ordering around people the entire movie. It's not like Talia is whispering everything in his ear the whole time and he's just a puppet. He's on his own quite a bit. She may technically "outrank" him due to her being the al Ghul bloodline, but she clearly let Bane run on a very long leash. Once the overall goals were established, it was up to Bane to figure out how to obtain Pavel, how to set up all the explosives throughout the city, etc. Daggett obviously had no idea who Tate was and thought Bane was in charge of the operation.

Also, all the mercenaries were extremely loyal to Bane, willing to die for him even. It was very crucial for this version of the LOS that they had a charismatic figure to unite and lead them. I don't think Talia was that. She just happens to be the person to "inherit" the League from her father, but I think she gives Bane the keys to the kingdom not only because of her personal attachment to him but because she knows her father was wrong and he is the man for the job.

She did, but he also directly disobeyed it. I thought that alone showed that he was more than just some mindless lackey.

Bane was most certainly not only following orders though. He's ordering around people the entire movie. It's not like Talia is whispering everything in his ear the whole time and he's just a puppet. He's on his own quite a bit. She may technically "outrank" him due to her being the al Ghul bloodline, but she clearly let Bane run on a very long leash. Once the overall goals were established, it was up to Bane to figure out how to obtain Pavel, how to set up all the explosives throughout the city, etc. Daggett obviously had no idea who Tate was and thought Bane was in charge of the operation.

Also, all the mercenaries were extremely loyal to Bane, willing to die for him even. It was very crucial for this version of the LOS that they had a charismatic figure to unite and lead them. I don't think Talia was that. She just happens to be the person to "inherit" the League from her father, but I think she gives Bane the keys to the kingdom not only because of her personal attachment to him but because she knows her father was wrong and he is the man for the job.

You and Doc Samson both made good points. I definitely need to see the movie again b/c I didn't catch everything on first viewing. Like I said before Bane being a lackey or second in command doesn't bother me as much like many others up here. The main problem I have (though it was inevitable like every movie based off a comic book) was how they altered and changed Bane's and Talia's origins. I know Nolan had to make the LOS, Talia Al Ghul, and Bane somehow connected in the universe he already establish for this franchise but I didn't like being mindscrewed like that.

Anyways I think I've been way off topic as it is about which fight was better. The comics had a much bigger impact on me than both fights in TDKR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"