Sequels Costuming of the X-Men

Mr. Socko

Avenger
Reaction score
We all know a mask-less Wolverine and every member of the X-Men wearing black leather suits was due to two reasons. The first was to make the characters seem a bit more grounded and not too flashy. The second reason is because an all black ensemble made for a more unified look amongst members of the X-Men. My question is, in the next installements, do you want more comic accurate, and more colorful costumes for these characters? Or would you rather the unified black leather suits stay with the series?

On and this topic was brought about because I stumbled upon this CG drawing of Famke Jansen as Phoenix but with a far more original comic book look.

1482891188294985mediumum4.jpg

I wouldn't mind X-Men uniforms that incorporate more elements from their comic book counterparts. I don't think direct translations will ever work though. While people complain about things such as Wolverine lacking a mask, I get the impression that a lot of people don't give much thought to the fact that actors like Daniel Cudmore probably couldn't be convinced to dawn Colossus' speedo and thigh high boots... but incorporating more comic book elements without sacrificing credibility, I'm all for.

I can't think of a single reason why the characters would don such flashy suits. I understand if the suits are for protection etc, but the flashy colours?

I'd like to hear any good reasons, but i'm yet to hear one beyond, "its not true to the comic."
the black outfits are true to the spirit of the characters. Somebody like Logan would have no patience for colorful clown costumes and masks (and just who is he hiding his identity from?).

It looks great in a videogame or a comic book page, but those bright primary outfits were designed to appeal to children. Maybe its time we got past that.

I can't think of a single reason why the characters would don such flashy suits. I understand if the suits are for protection etc, but the flashy colours?

I'd like to hear any good reasons, but i'm yet to hear one beyond, "its not true to the comic."
the black outfits are true to the spirit of the characters. Somebody like Logan would have no patience for colorful clown costumes and masks (and just who is he hiding his identity from?).

It looks great in a videogame or a comic book page, but those bright primary outfits were designed to appeal to children. Maybe its time we got past that.
:up:

Do the people you know all wear black clothes all the time?

Amazing. Why do people still read the X-Men comic books when they don't like the most about them.

You must know, black is gritty and gritty is teh realistic and teh realistic is teh good!

Well, I prefer the absurd elements, that what makes superheroes. If you take them out you just have science fiction and there is enough science fiction.

Costumes please. And while we're on it, and actual X-MEN movie.

Keep the leather just add some color and design (much like Will Smith in Hancock).

I didn't mind the black costumes in the film, so I would love to actually see them still on the silver screen.

Well I would like to see more comic based uniforms in a reboot of X-Men. I don't want bright colored uniforms, but I think they should be made of polyester if not spandex. Polyester is much easier to move in than leather is. Superheros are drawn with the costumes they wear b/c it's like wearing fitness attire to a gymnasium. They have to wear something they can move in easily if their not gonna fight in civilian clothes.

Now when it comes to colors. I think the matching uniforms the original x-men team wore would look fine. Instead of using bright blue and yellow they could use gold and navy blue polyester uniforms. Any superhero costume that contains bright colors in the comics and cartoons should look dark on screen.

Well I would like to see more comic based uniforms in a reboot of X-Men. I don't want bright colored uniforms, but I think they should be made of polyester if not spandex. Polyester is much easier to move in than leather is. Superheros are drawn with the costumes they wear b/c it's like wearing fitness attire to a gymnasium. They have to wear something they can move in easily if their not gonna fight in civilian clothes.

Now when it comes to colors. I think the matching uniforms the original x-men team wore would look fine. Instead of using bright blue and yellow they could use gold and navy blue polyester uniforms. Any superhero costume that contains bright colors in the comics and cartoons should look dark on screen.

Yeah! If they could tone down colors, like with Wolverine's costume. Instead of royal blues they can change it to dark navy blue or black and yellows to gold. Astonishing X-Men costumes would definitely work in my opinion but Cyclops and Wolverine sans mask.

I like the way they described the suits in New X-Men. A template fashioned to personal style

As long as they don't look goofy, the costumes would be ok. I loved the film costumes anyway.

That costume is headed in the right direction, but some degree of sensibilities (in a comicbook film, OY!) need to be added.

The X-men costumes should be a form of form fitting body armor similar to the Burton Bat suits (or Batman Forever). Just add color or design and voila!

It is very important to note that the costumes all depend on the tone of the film. Obviously, if the film were going for a much more overt comicbook fantasy ala Spider-man, Superman and Iron Man, you could probably push the envelope a little further.

I would love to see a manip of the X-men costumes done in a style described above. I'd like to see the Phoenix costume done that way. Any takers?

Thats silly.
Of the people I know who work in the armed forces (and of the many people I don't who are part of militia or black ops or whatever), not one of them would ever wear brightly coloured spandex.
Black is at least stealthy.
When the X-men are in their civvies they can and do wear whatever they want.

Doctor Baywatch said:
Amazing. Why do people still read the X-Men comic books when they don't like the most about them.

The outfits aren't at a part of why I like a certain character. Their look, certainly, but if you think the strongest part of Jean Grey's character is that she sometimes wears a bright yellow and red outfit, I don't believe you read X-men comics either.

Thats silly.
Of the people I know who work in the armed forces (and of the many people I don't who are part of militia or black ops or whatever), not one of them would ever wear brightly coloured spandex.
Black is at least stealthy.
When the X-men are in their civvies they can and do wear whatever they want.
I have friends who are into sports. They all wear bright colored suits, some of them in spandex.

those two weren't ever in a uniform in the movie.

how about: "Would Wolverine/Cylcops/Jean/Storm be more at ease with a spandex colorful suit or a heavy leather thing?"
frankly their movie versions are embarrassed enough wearing the uniforms at all, and there's no way in hell Hugh Jackman's wolverine would wear the clown outfit.

Who? Would be Quicksilver more at ease with a spandex colorful suit or a heavy leather thing?
And what about Nightcrawler?

First of all, I thought we were talking color not spandex.

But I do agree that the suit should contemplate the powers

I thought the major problem with the movie costumes was the extra padding to make it appear like there was more muscle.

I just think the costumes should be personalized by each character, Like if cannonball was in it, I would probably make it short sleeves and give him goggles, Maybe through in a dash of Blue and yellow.

I like the way they described the suits in New X-Men. A template fashioned to personal style

This.
They should be suits, not costumes tailored to meet every members personal taste and power requirement while still maintaining the classic black-and-yellow design.

This.
They should be suits, not costumes tailored to meet every members personal taste and power requirement while still maintaining the classic black-and-yellow design.

This is part of what i meant

Keep the X uniforms they have now! After seeing how stupid the Watchmen costumes look I'm glad we got the X-Men costumes the way they were in the movies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"