The Dark Knight Could very well be the best - and Nolan's last

CConn said:
I was pretty letdown with SM1 when I saw it (at that point, I was holding everything up to B89, and, well, nothing held up to B89:o), but after SM2 (the first superhero movie I really thought to be better than B89:o), I've really grown to have quite an appreciation of it. It's not exactly an epic movie or a masterpiece like more recent comic book movies are aiming to be, but for a light, summertime movie, it was damn good. And it had Willam Dafoe. :up:

The thing about it is that Spider-Man has always been... well... the superhero with real-life problems. Most Superheroes don't have to worry about paying bills or not pissing off the bossman... most of them are self-confident and huge. Most of them don't have to balance work, school, and superheroing. Most of them don't have permanent relationships that work, and as a result, most of them don't have to balance a serious love relationship with all that other crap.

Basically, Spider-Man is one of us, except that he can walk up walls and throw cars. :up:

And so one of the things that the Spidey movies have done well thus far is to show how in real life, doing good is often a fairly thankless thing. Spidey's a hero who gets nothing out of his work except the satisfaction of a job well done. And at the end of the day he still has to pay the light bill.

That's the entire *point* of Spider-Man. If you ask Stan Lee he'll tell you that has *always* been the point of Spider-Man. The movies capture that perfectly. They're not epic or, you know, life-changing movies. They're just movies about personal responsibility and, you know, what it takes to be a good person whether you have the proportional powers of a spider... or not. And that's awesome.

POTC2...I was let down with. POTC was, if not great, very good, and I was quite looking foward to the sequels, but while POTC2 was fun, sure, and I'd still probably rate it a good 7/10, it really didn't live up to its potential, and really suffered from, I think, carrying ALL of it's plotlines over to POTC3. I mean, there was absolutely no resolution to anything in POTC2, and that makes it a far less enjoyable film to watch, I think. At least until the third film comes out.

That's really how most people feel about it, I think, but it's enough to make them excited about the movie and the forthcoming third part. I just think that as bad as it was that all the plotlines were tied to the third one, what was worse was that there was a plotline for EVERYTHING. Body parts have plotlines. Giant squids have plotlines. Hats have plotlines. It's a bit much.

But the worst part of all was that the plotlines weren't the only thing that were too big and too numerous. Like I said before, the physical comedy was overdone, the Matrix 2.0 moments were overdone, the giant squid sequence was too... nice. It was all just ridiculous. The worst part about Captain Jack Sparrow getting eaten by the Kraken was the certain knowledge that he wasn't dead, because there was a third movie coming. :down

Keyser Sushi said:
The thing about it is that Spider-Man has always been... well... the superhero with real-life problems. Most Superheroes don't have to worry about paying bills or not pissing off the bossman... most of them are self-confident and huge. Most of them don't have to balance work, school, and superheroing. Most of them don't have permanent relationships that work, and as a result, most of them don't have to balance a serious love relationship with all that other crap.

Basically, Spider-Man is one of us, except that he can walk up walls and throw cars. :up:

And so one of the things that the Spidey movies have done well thus far is to show how in real life, doing good is often a fairly thankless thing. Spidey's a hero who gets nothing out of his work except the satisfaction of a job well done. And at the end of the day he still has to pay the light bill.

That's the entire *point* of Spider-Man. If you ask Stan Lee he'll tell you that has *always* been the point of Spider-Man. The movies capture that perfectly. They're not epic or, you know, life-changing movies. They're just movies about personal responsibility and, you know, what it takes to be a good person whether you have the proportional powers of a spider... or not. And that's awesome.
Oh yeah, I know that. And I actually think Spider-Man 2 is an epic movie. Or, at least, it feels like one. And that exposes even more of the hard knock mentality to superheroics. But it just seemed like with SM1, it was pretty, well, cookie cutter. The plot was rather standard, the characterization, dialogue, etc., etc. But, like I said, it improved dramatically in SM2, and I've come to enjoy SM1 for its own merits.
Keyser Sushi said:
That's really how most people feel about it, I think, but it's enough to make them excited about the movie and the forthcoming third part. I just think that as bad as it was that all the plotlines were tied to the third one, what was worse was that there was a plotline for EVERYTHING. Body parts have plotlines. Giant squids have plotlines. Hats have plotlines. It's a bit much.

But the worst part of all was that the plotlines weren't the only thing that were too big and too numerous. Like I said before, the physical comedy was overdone, the Matrix 2.0 moments were overdone, the giant squid sequence was too... nice. It was all just ridiculous. The worst part about Captain Jack Sparrow getting eaten by the Kraken was the certain knowledge that he wasn't dead, because there was a third movie coming. :down
Yeah. Really everything wrong about the movie can be summed up in one word; overblown.

CConn said:
Oh yeah, I know that. And I actually think Spider-Man 2 is an epic movie. Or, at least, it feels like one. And that exposes even more of the hard knock mentality to superheroics. But it just seemed like with SM1, it was pretty, well, cookie cutter. The plot was rather standard, the characterization, dialogue, etc., etc. But, like I said, it improved dramatically in SM2, and I've come to enjoy SM1 for its own merits.

Cool. :up: I have to say the third one, from what I heard of the comiccon footage... sounds like it's going to be even better.

Yeah. Really everything wrong about the movie can be summed up in one word; overblown.

Yeah, I'mma give ya an Amen on that. And I bring the choir in. AMEN!

;)

El Payaso said:
Spiderman 1 was crap for me, the second one was good so a joyful meh gonna be enough.

I bet if Keyser wasn't psoting here I wouldn't be making off-topic.

My thoughts exactly. I found some enjoyment with Spiderman - but in the end I was left disapointed. Spider-man 2 was enjoyable, but it didnt stand up to repeated viewings the way other superhero films do for me (like Batman 89, Begins and even Daredevil DC).

opposite; i loved spidey 1 but loathed spidey 2, hence why i am not really looking forward to spidey 3.

Spiderman 3 is going to own all CBM and continue to do so for years to come sorry TDK.

I don't expect Nolan to stay on forever but I do hope he stays on long enough to set the standard. I don't want a Schumacher coming in on a fourth film and turning it into another neon joke.

Keyser Sushi said:
Oh please. Was X3 great? Of course not. But it wasn't bad. It was fun. There were a lot of things in there I've been wanting to see all along - Danger Room, Colussus hurling Wolvie, Iceman turning into, well, Iceman. It wasn't dumb, and it had moments of real drama. X3's biggest problem was that there were so many characters that it took away from some of the personal nature of the movie, something the other two films nailed.

Still, the other two set up the idea that a massive war was on the horizon, and X3 delivered that. It wasn't as good as X2, but it was never boring or pretentious -- something the Matrix Reloaded can't say.

I agree. I've argued this point many times. "X3" was not a bad film. There were things that I would have like to have seen done differently, but overall, I liked it enough to add the DVD to my collection.

"Batman & Robin" and "Catwoman" are the only two superhero movies in the past decade that I would say had no redeeming qualities about them.

explode7 said:
Spiderman 3 is going to own all CBM and continue to do so for years to come sorry TDK.

It wont come close to V for Vendetta. That movie not only had great acting, great action, great story - but a great message.

Lets wait and see Mr. Stormin before we jump to conclusions here. But my bets are on spidey.:D.

explode7 said:
Lets wait and see Mr. Stormin before we jump to conclusions here. But my bets are on spidey.:D.

LMAO. This must be a joke right? I am not sure if that smiley is you showing that this entire post was a joke, or that you are simply grinning like an idiot because Spider-man 3 is going to knock your socks off. :huh:

If this is Nolan's last Batman then I am very afraid, and almost positive, it is going to turn into another Schumacher piece of ....! If Nolan leaves they'll put Robin in the movies and that'll blow. If Nolan leaves, there goes Caine and Bale as well. Bale won't make a movie with Robin or atleast that's what he says. This won't be Nolan's best film, it will in Box office but not his best movie. His best is Memento.

Why does everyone hate Spidey 2? Was it the corny scenes of Peter ditching the Spidey stuff and walking down the streets? Or the part on the train where the people say they won't tell who he is? Alfred Molina's fat hanging out of his costume? I liked it but I just wanna know why others didn't like I read in the thread. Thanks.

Spider-Man 2 rocked and is easily one of the best comicbook movies ever made. I don't care what anyone else says. If they don't agree, then they're wrong. :mad:

StorminNorman said:
It wont come close to V for Vendetta. That movie not only had great acting, great action, great story - but a great message.

I disagree with you on almost all counts. V for Vendetta was way overrated. Was Natalie Portman even trying in the first half? Nothing but cliche and pompous, pretentuous acting the latter half.

But anyway, I think Nolan's trilogy COULD be a higher quality than Raimi's trilogy, but that is not a given. Spider-Man 1 was a bit mediocore/decent, whereas Spider-Man 2 was one of the greatest superhero movies of all-time.

StorminNorman said:
The message: "If society sucks (and it does) be an anarchist terrorist!"

Seriously, if I get started on V I'll go on forever. I'll just say this: any movie that has a protagonist that is a terrorist is not for me. Just like that new Derek Luke movie with Tim Robbins. I can't feel for a character who blows stuff up to get his point across.

Also, I'm wondering what people are thinking if Nolan leaves this movie. If he does it's all going to ****! The cast will change faces by the third movie and it's almost a betrayal by Nolan to leave the saga in the place it is. He still has to have Two-Face in the third. Not to forget Penquin and Catwoman. These characters need to be in the films from his point of view before he leaves or we will all be angry. He's done so well so far so why split? There's so much more development to do and atleast he would need to show some conclusion in the Batman's life for the series to end. Batman needs to be secure in himself before Nolan leaves. Nolan should only leave when there is closure.

sorry. I can identify with people who blow stuff up. At least as much as I can with most movie characters.

Ronny Shade said:
sorry. I can identify with people who blow stuff up. At least as much as I can with most movie characters.

Huh? I can to but not with terrorist. In America the media kind of forces us to be scared of these people. I understand your point. It was just a movie but movies with political views, or atleast the one's I saw in V, can stir up some emotions. Like I said, V is well done and well written but I don't feel for what he feels. Others did but I don't and I understand that.

Back to my question before in my post. Do you guys see my point if Nolan leaves after this one. Or not? Elaborate a little on it for me.

The problem with Nolan leaving is not that no one else can do Batman. Plenty of people can. In fact, I think there are a lot of directors out there that can do a better job of Batman than Nolan can. The problem would be that even if they can get the cast back (iffy, since Bale, Caine, etc are friends with Nolan) they'd probably hire a Ratner and not someone with vision.

I agree that more people can do Batman but once Nolan started his creative genius with this saga I think that only he can finish it. I like people to finish what they've started. A la George Lucas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"