CW and African American shows.

batman7289 said:
okay okay
everyone in here i am sorry for my "racial" comment. ive sorry if i offened anyone

I'd actually like you to elaborate. I'm curious as to how you came up with that.

PyroChamber said:
Actually when UPN and WB first came out, a majority of their shows were black sitcoms. But then once WB started to make a name for itself they get rid of these shows and replace them with teen dramas; while UPN kept most of it's black sitcoms.

Fox did the same thing. In part, black sitcoms or 'black-themed' shows like In Living Color, Living Single, and Roc brought them a steady audience in the early days. But once they had 'made it' as a network, they quickly got rid of those shows. Black faces on Fox are few and far between with Bernie Mac off the air. (Though to be fair, they have had Dennis Haysbert, Penny Johnson-Gerald, Gina Torres, Omar Epps, and other black actors in guest starring roles on some of their top-rated shows.)

It would be nice to see if it was possible to spread the black shows out on WB. Lumping them all together only exacerbates the myth or opinion that these are shows non-blacks can't get into or relate to.

As for the shows themselves? Outside of Chris, the rest are fairly bland-just like white sitcoms these days. All of Us has it's moments-and LisaRaye I must add. The Game has Wendy Raquel Robinson-my favorite principal-and a very grown up and sexy Tia Mowry. But beyond the eye candy, there's not much. I can't stand Girlfriends. They are all so screechy and that it hurts both my eyes and ears.

PyroChamber said:
I don't understand why all the black shows have to be on the same night.

so that "we" could dominate sunday nights..lol..buahahah

really, I dislike every single one of those shows

Matt said:
Because obviously black people can only stop eating fried chicken and drinking malt liquor once a week to watch TV :rolleyes: Translation; TV Executives = white old men who have no idea how to reach out to the demographic. Hell, most black people don't even watch **** like Girlfriends.

LOL!! :woot:

Nope, I'm a freakin angel,straight from heaven. :cmad:

GoldenAgeHero said:
For as long as i can remember UPN was always the channal with African Americans shows, that we're all stereotypical, nothing of real quality. Everybody hates chris is probably the first real quality African American based show. and CW is continuing that legacy:whatever:. they still have crap shows, girlfriends, black version of Sex and the city(crap show),cuts(cancelled), etc. am i the only that feels like this?
MTV in the 90s had the most shows for blacks

batman7289 said:
i aint trying to sound racist but most blacks dont have cable. so upn-cw is like the best channel for them to watch. dont hate me over my comment please.:)

Oh God.

tzarinna said:
You're an ass,die.

He is sort of right though. Why do there have to be black shows and white shows? All it does is further divide people and create a race boundry. Good TV is good TV, regardless of the main character's skin color.

Matt said:
He is sort of right though. Why do there have to be black shows and white shows?

Because in life, more often than not, social interactions that most television shows are based on; involve groups of individuals that are usually the same race. Believe me, I've tried to disregard race in regards to who I made friends with and who I dated (I didn't have much choice when I went to high school in Montreal, my school was a damn melting pot), but at the end of the day, my two best friends in the world and my girlfriend are the same race as me. And when we get together in groups it's mostly with other black people. That's just the way it is for a lot of people in society.

At my job, new black female co-workers are immediately absorbed in to the existing "clique" of black female co-workers, women who become and remain friends outside of the office, even if one of them leaves the company.

Bottom line, I'm not holding my breath for "Rainbow Coalition: The Series".

I don't think that there should necessarily be "black" and "white" shows in such a strict categorization, but I do think that diversity in television is important. If there's going to be a show with a mainly white cast, there should be a show with a mainly black cast, Asian cast, etc. I think that any show should refrain from having only one ethnicity for the entire program, but I don't think it's wrong to have it be a majority. It makes sense for programs that reflect every day neighborhoods, etc. HOWEVER, these majority casts should not be super stereotypical.

UPN has always had crap. WB the same thing. The usual stereotype black people in unfunny urban comedies. Most times these Black sitcoms turn from comedies into soap operas that focus on a blasted love story between two main characters.

A lot of these shows are so bad because the creators have no depth and the writers have no idea how African-Americans live. I wish these creators would realize comedy means LAUGHS, not overwrought soap drama for a half-hour. You want to make a DRAMA DO A DRAMA.

Eeverybody Hates Chris has improved drastically from last year. I'm giving it another shot to see if they get stuff right. Growing up black in the 80's they damn well better have a "Cosby Show" episode. That was HISTORY.

Girlfriends is just garbage. I could care less about Joan Lynn or Mya. William is just a loser. THe show has been tired ever since Toni Married the white dude.
The last two black sitcoms I laughed at were "Wayans Bros" and "Jamie Foxx."

Phatman said:
UPN has always had crap. WB the same thing. The usual stereotype black people in unfunny urban comedies.

Examples?

Most times these Black sitcoms turn from comedies into soap operas that focus on a blasted love story between two main characters.

How is this different from other white comedies like Friends and The Drew Carey show? Unless the primary characters in a sitcom are a married couple, most sitcoms eventually turn into soap operas that focus on a love story between two characters.

A lot of these shows are so bad because the creators have no depth and the writers have no idea how African-Americans live.

How do black people live. Please, enlighten us, since most of these sitcoms you speak of miss the mark. I guess accurate portraits of black life are either Good Times or the Cosby Show.

The last two black sitcoms I laughed at were "Wayans Bros" and "Jamie Foxx."

Not to take away from those shows, but if those are your examples of better sitcoms compared to the current crop, I'd say your argument is pretty thin.

Colossal Spoons said:
What caused you to think that most black people don't have cable? Walk me through your thought process. :up:

umm well lets see, where i live (hillbillie Indiana) most blacks here are poor so i think that they couldnt afford cable. i said i was sorry for my comments so y bring them back up?:huh:

batman7289 said:
umm well lets see, where i live (hillbillie Indiana) most blacks here are poor so i think that they couldnt afford cable. i said i was sorry for my comments so y bring them back up?:huh:

I'm not going to call you names or anything; I was genuinely curious as to what made you say that. I know squat about Indiana, so I can't comment on how the black people live where you are, but just know that not all of us are poor and some of us even have digital cable and satellite dishes. :eek: Assuming your apology was sincere, then awesome. It's a step in the right direction, you just need to get out and meet more black people.

Also, we're not very fond of being referred to as "blacks". A rule of thumb to keep you from getting into any awkward situations: "color" + "the letter s" = not cool. :up:

PyroChamber said:
I don't understand why all the black shows have to be on the same night.
lmao!!! I noticed that!!! Seriously, what is up with that? It's like CW is trying to prove something by having one night devoted to black shows. It's like they're saying: look, we're not racists! Even though most of our shows have an all white cast, we have a whole night devoted to black people.

Well there can't be much of a black audience if the shows they do have get canceled.

well its kind of hard to have these shows spread out throughout the week seeing as though they are comedies. Comedy shows have their own night since Dramas are all grouped together, just as comedies are all grouped together. They arent trying to have a black night, just as they arent trying to have a white night when they have comedies or dramas with a prominate white cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"