CW and African American shows.

Everybody Hates Chris Season 1 on DVD - $32

A 40 - $3

Watching white people discuss the television viewing habits of blacks - Priceless

cmill216 said:
Everybody Hates Chris Season 1 on DVD - $32

A 40 - $3

Watching white people discuss the television viewing habits of blacks - Priceless

We're not all white, you realize that, right? To saying of the fact that none of us know who's what race.

well wut should i call u people who are darker in pigment than myself? since black is a bad word. at least i didnt say n*****

KenK said:
To saying of the fact that none of us know who's what race.

"To saying of the fact"? :huh:

batman7289 said:
well wut should i call u people who are darker in pigment than myself? since black is a bad word. at least i didnt say n*****

.....:huh:

batman7289 said:

For starters, don't call anyone "you people."

It's not wrong to call someone black, it's saying blacks that is offensive to most people.

Really? People find that offensive? :confused: Is "black people" offensive, too? Because, you know, it's basically the exact same thing, grammatically speaking.

I've never called anybody "a white". Can I at least ask the same in return?

TheCorpulent1 said:
Really? People find that offensive? :confused: Is "black people" offensive, too? Because, you know, it's basically the exact same thing, grammatically speaking.

They sure aren't the same thing. At least, with "black people", you're acknowledging the fact that we are people. Calling us "blacks" makes us sound like objects, like crayons even.

Ok, how 'bout everyone calms down and quit being overly sensetive.

I don't think this is a matter of sensitivity. It's got more to do with respect. If you can call all black people "blacks"; would you feel comfortable calling me "a black"? I'm not a crayon, I'm a person. That's just not cool. No other racial slur means anything as they're just demeaning. As I said, this is about respect.

Colossal Spoons said:
I don't think this is a matter of sensitivity. It's got more to do with respect. If you can call all black people "blacks"; would you feel comfortable calling me "a black"? I'm not a crayon, I'm a person. That's just not cool. No other racial slur means anything as they're just demeaning. As I said, this is about respect.

Calm the hell down. No one intentionally disrespected you. No one came into this forum thinking "AHA! I'll call black people 'blacks', thus making them seem like they are nothing more than objects! That will show Colossal Spoons!"

Sure, he could've chose his words better, but I really don't think he was trying to create the illusion that anyone is an object or trying to disrespect you. So again, quit being so sensetive and acting like every thing said is a slight on you or your race.

I'm hardly talking about these message boards. Also, this is something I've talked to others about so it's not just a Colossal Spoons thing. Nor am I "riled up" in any way; just trying to get everybody on the same page when it comes to addressing other races.

If somebody'd be comfortable with walking up to a white person and calling them "a white" or a black person "a black"; then that's cool. I'll just avoid people like that. No biggie.

Colossal Spoons said:
I'm hardly talking about these message boards. Also, this is something I've talked to others about so it's not just a Colossal Spoons thing. Nor am I "riled up" in any way; just trying to get everybody on the same page when it comes to addressing other races.

If somebody'd be comfortable with walking up to a white person and calling them "a white" or a black person "a black"; then that's cool. I'll just avoid people like that. No biggie.

Well, with all respect, when you go off on a tangent about how calling people a "black" is implying that you are an object or a "crayon"...you do sort of come off as if you are riled up.

As for being called a "white"...I have had several black people refer to me that way in the past. There is such a thing as reverse racism. Hell, half the TV shows in question in this thread, the "African American shows" portray white people as bumbling idiots who are the stereotyped geeky character. Could you imagine if a "white show" portrayed an African American character as someone on welfare who did drugs all the time? There would be riots. But it is ok to stereotype white people in a "black show"?

But you know what, it really doesn't matter. I don't watch crappy shows on UPN. No one should, regardless of color, but I digress...does it really matter what someone says or what a tv show displays?

I think it's F'd up that you were called "a white" too. I'm not some pro-black activist; and it's not cool how even white people are portrayed as geeky characters.

You're right, TV is TV and who really cares? I just wouldn't be too pleased if somebody said that to me in real life.

im with collosal spoons. everytime i hear the term blacks, it really comes off as offensive. That's been eating at me for awhile.

Colossal Spoons said:
I think it's F'd up that you were called "a white" too. I'm not some pro-black activist; and it's not cool how even white people are portrayed as geeky characters.

You're right, TV is TV and who really cares? I just wouldn't be too pleased if somebody said that to me in real life.

Way I see it is words are just words and they are only as powerful as you allow them to be.

It's nothing anybody would start a fight over; like the N word or anything. Just something I politely bring to people's attention.

Matt said:
Way I see it is words are just words and they are only as powerful as you allow them to be.

I agree. Most people who do this don't mean it to be demeaning.

Colossal Spoons said:
It's nothing anybody would start a fight over; like the N word or anything. Just something I politely bring to people's attention.

I agree. Most people who do this don't mean it to be demeaning.

Obviously, i never tried to offend anyone. I think what may be the problem, is that every generation has a different "politically correct" way they want to be referred to. I think in this day it has become socially acceptable to refer to people as black and white (although i dont thinkayone would go around calling someone a yellow..hmmm). I know i dont go around calling myself "caucasian" or "white non-hispanic" i just say white. In any event, i think most people would be more than happy to call anybody whatever they want to be called, once they find out what that is.

I mean on this board we've already has discussions about the difference between blacks, black people, African-American's, and Islanders. So while it is not something i can relate to, i think the lack of unity on what is appropriate and what isnt can lead someone to using a term that may be unknowingly insulting to one individual while another may be perfectly acceptable with it.

has anyone even said "a black?"

Usually it's used like "a black guy/girl once blahblah (singluar)" or "blacks (plural) tend to blahblah." Never really heard anyone use "A black" on it's own like that before.

Matt said:
Well, with all respect, when you go off on a tangent about how calling people a "black" is implying that you are an object or a "crayon"...you do sort of come off as if you are riled up.

As for being called a "white"...I have had several black people refer to me that way in the past. There is such a thing as reverse racism. Hell, half the TV shows in question in this thread, the "African American shows" portray white people as bumbling idiots who are the stereotyped geeky character. Could you imagine if a "white show" portrayed an African American character as someone on welfare who did drugs all the time? There would be riots. But it is ok to stereotype white people in a "black show"?

But you know what, it really doesn't matter. I don't watch crappy shows on UPN. No one should, regardless of color, but I digress...does it really matter what someone says or what a tv show displays?

There are a lot of 'white' shows that do portray blacks as being gangbangers or on welfare a lot of the time. Or a have 'cool', streetwise main or secondary character, sometimes with a gangster/hood background. Most of the police shows do this. And when you look at the history of TV and film you see all types of limited, often negative portrayals of blacks. To be fair, there are often 'positive' black characters that are a lot of these shows, but they usually get very little character development except for the occassional 'special' episode about race.

I do think that what is shown on TV is important, because of the enormous influence TV has on shaping people's opinions and worldviews. It's easy to say turn off the TV and pick up a book or read a newspaper. But in reality how many people really do that? Esp. after coming in from work, you sit back and click on the TV. And even if you read widely, it is hard to combat what you 'see'. Visuals leave a powerful impression in your mind.

If you see a thousand music videos, or the nightly news plastered with black or brown faces, and then turn on The Shield, The Wire, or Law & Order, professional wrestling, or even the 'black' sitcoms that sometimes are often rife with stereotypes I can see people-white, black, etc. forming certain negative ideas or having previously held ideas reinforced-about how 'those' people really are.

Colossal Spoons said:
They sure aren't the same thing. At least, with "black people", you're acknowledging the fact that we are people. Calling us "blacks" makes us sound like objects, like crayons even.
That seems stupid to me. Adjectives are used to represent the implied nouns they describe all the time. It's called a substantive. Adding "people" isn't necessary from a grammatical standpoint. But intent doesn't really matter for PC-ness, I suppose. :o

I've never seen anyone I know who had a problem with "blacks". For crying out loud, I see journalists use "whites" and "blacks" all the time instead of "white people" and "black people". For example:

Whether out of hostility, indifference or simple lack of knowledge, large numbers of white Americans incorrectly believe that blacks are as well off as whites in terms of their jobs, incomes, schooling and health care, according to a national survey by The Washington Post, the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation and Harvard University.

SOURCE: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A42062-2001Jul10?language=printer

No one ever says "a black", Spoons, so I don't know where you're coming from, dude.

TheCorpulent1 said:
That seems stupid to me. Adjectives are used to represent the implied nouns they describe all the time. It's called a substantive. Adding "people" isn't necessary from a grammatical standpoint. But intent doesn't really matter for PC-ness, I suppose. :o

So, if you'd call me "a black person", then why not call me and my friends "black people". Is it more convenient to say "the blacks"?

Regardless, I've stated my opinion and it is a message board after all, so I'll never have to converse with any Hypster in real life so what words you choose to describe any race is of little consequence to me. It's just not something I tolerate in my daily travels.

I never said I use it, I just said I don't see why it's offensive. I don't really use substantive adjectives that much in general. But it's still just a different grammatical way of expressing the same thing as "black people." It seems silly to get so worked up over it.

Oh, it hardly offends me. I live in Delaware man, what racial slur haven't I been called? This is just something that I hear people say that sounds a bit disrespectful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"