DC 2006:Year in Review

GNR

Avenger
Reaction score
With the year winding down,52 at its halfway point,and most of DC's major launches out of the way,minus JSA,I thought it would be cool to see what everyone thought about the DC books they've been reading this past year.

I'm glad with Meltzer's character driven JLA story.These days comic readers like myself want rich characters and intelligent stories.I'd rather have this over Morrison's overrated JLA which was 90s cheese at its best.I love the inclusion of "non big 7" members such as BL,Vixen,Red Tornado,and Arsenal.This is very fresh and keeps things from getting old.And don't get me started on Justice.Classic,nuff said.

Busiek and Pacheco's Superman has been fantastic since the get go.Despite some lateness,Pacheco draws a really iconic Superman and I love Kurt's focus on Clark's personal life over anything else.Sure we got Supes fighting a monster and a guy coming back from the past with some sort of agenda,but Kurt mixes enough different story elements to keep this from becoming a "by the numbers" Superman book.And All Star Superman can't get enough praise.This is just classic Superman minus the heavy continuity.So many ideas and out of this world concepts,it really works here.Kudos to Morrison and Quietly on a late title that never lets down.

Dini's Detective book has been a real treat.I'm loving these done-in-one stories,especially in this day and age of half a year long stories.This is the Batman I want to read about,the dark detective monitoring his dark city and all the dark things that come with it.The 2 "off beat sci-fi" issues with Ivy and Phosphorus were just as good as the rest of the books.Really reminded me of those old Batman TAS episodes where Bats would find himself fighting against these weird creatures in some mad scientist's lab.I hope Dini stays on for a long time.

Green Lantern really surprised me.I jumped into this title head first without having read a GL comic in my life.I knew who all the GLS were beforehand though.Rebirth was one of the best stories I've ever read,EVS's style of drawing the GLs was awesome.I found the first 6 issues of the ongoing pretty throwaway in terms of story.However,starting with the Green Arrow team upi in #7,this book hasn't missed a beat.Despite the lateness,it's worth the wait everytime especially with Reis' art.I love the whole "intergalactic action epic" feel this book has,great stuff.

Teen Titans was another book I jumped into headfirst.I jumped on starting with OYL.I thought I would be lost,but I wasn't.It's been very easy to follow with my vague understanding of IC and how it was this big incident which killed alot of people and shook up everything.Anyways,Daniels' art is to die for,this guy is amazing.This is one of the few genuine superhero team books out there.It's hard not to like this book,it really has everything in it every time it comes out.Very fast paced with some hot headed characters.Love it.

Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters-Purely kickass.The political overtones are balanced out well with lots of the over the top ideas which come at you non stop in this book.The characters are all very relatable and fresh.They all posess great power but lack that sense of purpose or direction.That's where the Christ like Uncle Sam comes in and shows them the light.DC would have to be dumb not to do anything with this team after the mini winds up.Condor,The Ray and Human Bomb have become some of my favorite characters overnight.This comic is a great example of what I want in my comics.

Always the smartass huh Darth? :D

Sure there's still 2 months left,but most of OYL has been ongoing for a while now and there aren't any big launches left within the next 2 months with the exception of JSA and the Spirit.

Yeah, on the other hand, all those great titles could go to crap in these 2 months as well.

Ok then,so post in 2 months when they turn to crap.

GNR4Life said:
I'm glad with Meltzer's character driven JLA story.These days comic readers like myself want rich characters and intelligent stories.I'd rather have this over Morrison's overrated JLA which was 90s cheese at its best.I love the inclusion of "non big 7" members such as BL,Vixen,Red Tornado,and Arsenal.This is very fresh and keeps things from getting old.And don't get me started on Justice.Classic,nuff said.
I got no problems with Meltzer's JLA, but to call Morrison's JLA "cheese" is a little odd. The man completely redefined the Justice League, and he made it important again. You can talk about third-stringers getting their due, and keeping it fresh, and being character-driven...but there's a reason that the Big 7 are the Big 7. You know what that reason is? Cuz they're the mutha****in' Big 7. Morrison's JLA roster was the best one in post-COIE continuity, probably the best ever.

Also, anyone else pissed off that the Justice League is treating all the other supersquads like farm teams? "Captain Marvel is Justice Society." "So?" They don't even mention that Cyborg is on the Teen Titans.

GNR4Life said:
And All Star Superman can't get enough praise.This is just classic Superman minus the heavy continuity.So many ideas and out of this world concepts,it really works here.Kudos to Morrison and Quietly on a late title that never lets down.
Just for you kiddies out there, let's define "classic" as used here. "Classic" here means "Silver Age Cheese." Silver Age Cheese has a rich history of sucking nutsack, no matter who writes it. In this instance, it's Morrison, a talented writer who can make a lot of crap into gold (Animal Man). But he fails here, because he's writing about Goddamn Lois Lane being Superwoman. OK, that was ****in' stupid in the ****in' 1950s. It's stupid now. Yes, Morrison's writing makes it palatable. Yes, I have all five issues. But Superwoman is a dumbass plot device.

GNR4Life said:
Dini's Detective book has been a real treat.I'm loving these done-in-one stories,especially in this day and age of half a year long stories.This is the Batman I want to read about,the dark detective monitoring his dark city and all the dark things that come with it.The 2 "off beat sci-fi" issues with Ivy and Phosphorus were just as good as the rest of the books.Really reminded me of those old Batman TAS episodes where Bats would find himself fighting against these weird creatures in some mad scientist's lab.I hope Dini stays on for a long time.
Gotta agree with the man here. These one-shot stories have provided an interesting background for Batman's trip to London over in the main book. It was a little odd, I have to say, for Bats to be waltzing off to England almost right after he returned to Gotham. Now we're getting the scoop on his major offensive against villainy.

GNR4Life said:
Green Lantern
GNR4Life said:
really surprised me.I jumped into this title head first without having read a GL comic in my life.I knew who all the GLS were beforehand though.Rebirth was one of the best stories I've ever read,EVS's style of drawing the GLs was awesome.I found the first 6 issues of the ongoing pretty throwaway in terms of story.However,starting with the Green Arrow team upi in #7,this book hasn't missed a beat.Despite the lateness,it's worth the wait everytime especially with Reis' art.I love the whole "intergalactic action epic" feel this book has,great stuff.
Certainly I have no problem with the talent on this book, but I can't help being a little irked that Hal is carrying this book as well as pulling Justice League duty. They have five Green Lanterns: Hal, Kyle, John, Guy, and Alan. Hal takes the solo book--it's what he does best. Kyle does his Ion thing, let's hope he gets an ongoing. John should get the League--it's what he does best. Guy hangs with the Corps, because it's the only place to stick the salty son of a *****. Alan's JSA.

GNR4Life said:
Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters-Purely kickass.The political overtones are balanced out well with lots of the over the top ideas which come at you non stop in this book.The characters are all very relatable and fresh.They all posess great power but lack that sense of purpose or direction.That's where the Christ like Uncle Sam comes in and shows them the light.DC would have to be dumb not to do anything with this team after the mini winds up.Condor,The Ray and Human Bomb have become some of my favorite characters overnight.This comic is a great example of what I want in my comics.
Don't blame DC for not making it an ongoing. Blame the dumbasses that don't buy it.

As much as you cry and moan about Superwoman, that one page of Superman and Superwoman kissing on the moon made it worth it.

Why is it really that terrible of an idea? Superman is dieing, and he wants to spend Lois' birthday with her on equal footing.

I thought it was romantic that he gave the woman he loves 24 hours with powers on par with his own.

Personally, I think OYL is a huge joke and basically made every title that doesn't start with Batman suck.

Purple Man said:
As much as you cry and moan about Superwoman, that one page of Superman and Superwoman kissing on the moon made it worth it.
OK. You must think that Batman and Catwoman being intimate was the high point of Hush.

Purple Man said:
Why is it really that terrible of an idea? Superman is dieing, and he wants to spend Lois' birthday with her on equal footing.
So pop the Gold K! Be a ****in' man! Jeez...Let the Silver Age die, Grant.

"Cause they're the mutha***** big 7"

And your point is?

Since getting into comics I've found Morrison's JLA to be one of the most overhyped books ever.I read the first couple trades in the library,and I was pretty stunned.It just felt real "by the numbers" to me.JLA fighting menace after menace.But it wasn't even that,I found lots of the characterizations pretty interchangeable.Grant could not write Manhunter,Aquaman or WW for squat.Waid did a much better job with them in JLA Year One.I'm not slamming Grant by any means,I think he's a great writer.

Sure ASS has its homages to the Silver Age,but this book's been made to capture the timeless elements of Superman.You don't have to read stories before it to apprehend what's happening.It's classic Superman in every way.Call is Silver Age cheese if you want,that's just MO.

jaydawg said:
Personally, I think OYL is a huge joke and basically made every title that doesn't start with Batman suck.

I think overall that some titles made it out ok.

Batman
Detective Comics
Superman
Action Comics-Pre Donner/Johns
Aquaman

And some new titles like Blue Beetle and Checkmate.

But on the other hand some titles with Pre-OYL greatness have just fallen flat completely.

Teen Titans
Birds of Prey
Robin (to a certain extent)

And some titles just remained on course with their crappiness. Green Lantern.

After owning the comics scene in 04' and 05'...06' was VERY disappointing for DC comics.

Most OYL titles are worse off than they were Pre-IC. I cant believe how many books i no longer read because of of mediocre art and story. The only titles to benefit from OYL were Batman, Detective, Robin, JLA, Teen Titans, and Wonder Woman, which is pretty freaking late but i'll touch on that later,and Nightwing, Thats pretty much it...out of a line of 60 or so comics.

Also, and many have seen me complain about this, but the replacement of so many heroes is a travesty. Ray Palmer, Orin, Billy Batson, Ted Kord, Wally West, etc. have all been replaced by lame heroes and lame books. The worst is Flash, which went from being one of the best DC books out there to complete garbage. Bart Allen was aged and turned into flash, which was a crappy decision and completely killed off the character we knew and loved. Same with Captain Marvel Jr. These guys did not deserve to be replaced. If DC were really creative, they'd actually think up ideas to retool these guys. Most of these books will be cancelled within the span of three years, IMO.

It's really the non continuity books that have thrived this year. All Star Superman, Justice, and Matt Wagner's Batman have all been pretty good, not bound by the sloppy new continuity. They distill the characters down to their essence and tell badass stories while doing it.

The main problem with Dc is the LATE BOOKS. Wonder Woman's bi monthly now? WTF? All Star Batman, a crap book BTW, hasnt had an issue out since when? Pretty much every major DC book besides 52 is late, and 52 aint late because if they were it'd become the biggest joke in comics history. I remember when comic companies actually gave a damn about comics coming out early. I remember when artists would draw more than one book a month and they'd still come out when it was supposed to.

Overall, DC's in a mess in 06'. You could see it in their late books. you could see it in their continuity errors...and you can especially see it in IC itself, ruined by multiple artists and rushed art(Ivan reis' art was awesome, but still). Titles just arent as exciting as they used to be, though i'm glad my favorite heroes back on track

Are all your reviews OYL and post or throughout the whole year?

Cause thats when I got big into DC, as it was the easiest point to.

The Batman said:
After owning the comics scene in 04' and 05'...06' was VERY disappointing for DC comics.

Most OYL titles are worse off than they were Pre-IC. I cant believe how many books i no longer read because of of mediocre art and story. The only titles to benefit from OYL were Batman, Detective, Robin, JLA, Teen Titans, and Wonder Woman, which is pretty freaking late but i'll touch on that later,and Nightwing, Thats pretty much it...out of a line of 60 or so comics.

Also, and many have seen me complain about this, but the replacement of so many heroes is a travesty. Ray Palmer, Orin, Billy Batson, Ted Kord, Wally West, etc. have all been replaced by lame heroes and lame books. The worst is Flash, which went from being one of the best DC books out there to complete garbage. Bart Allen was aged and turned into flash, which was a crappy decision and completely killed off the character we knew and loved. Same with Captain Marvel Jr. These guys did not deserve to be replaced. If DC were really creative, they'd actually think up ideas to retool these guys. Most of these books will be cancelled within the span of three years, IMO.

It's really the non continuity books that have thrived this year. All Star Superman, Justice, and Matt Wagner's Batman have all been pretty good, not bound by the sloppy new continuity. They distill the characters down to their essence and tell badass stories while doing it.

The main problem with Dc is the LATE BOOKS. Wonder Woman's bi monthly now? WTF? All Star Batman, a crap book BTW, hasnt had an issue out since when? Pretty much every major DC book besides 52 is late, and 52 aint late because if they were it'd become the biggest joke in comics history. I remember when comic companies actually gave a damn about comics coming out early. I remember when artists would draw more than one book a month and they'd still come out when it was supposed to.

Overall, DC's in a mess in 06'. You could see it in their late books. you could see it in their continuity errors...and you can especially see it in IC itself, ruined by multiple artists and rushed art(Ivan reis' art was awesome, but still). Titles just arent as exciting as they used to be, though i'm glad my favorite heroes back on track

Lets get something straight though, late books is an industry wide problem, not just a DC problem.

Darthphere said:
Lets get something straight though, late books is an industry wide problem, not just a DC problem.

Fair enough.

I wish these creators werent lazy. And that's what the real problem is, IMO. And I hate when companies try to throw that "I'd rather have a quality book than a non-late one" line like you cant do both

Darthphere said:

Some notable ones from Marvel:
Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk
Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil that Men Do
Daredevil: Target
Daredevil: Father

The Batman said:

Youre gonna have to explain those choices.

The Batman said:

I agree with you on The Flash, that just is a poor book in every form possible, and the handling of Wally's exit (JOHNS!!!!) is just disgusting. The new Blue beetle though is a new character I like. His title is a bit slow but theres always soemthing happening. The enw Aquaman, I dont know enough to judge him at this point, but he doesnt bother me, and expect orin back in action sooner than later. Winnick on Trials of Shazam, well thats probably the most unnecessary character change in comics.

The Batman said:

Meh. All Star Superman is alright, but its really a specialty book, you eithe rlove it or hate it. Its not for everyone. Justice is a picture book, and youre kidding yourself if you say otherwise, but theyre pretty pictures. Mad Monk hasnt been as good as Monster Men and is pretty average.

The Batman said:

Wonder Woman being late should NOT have been a surprise, lets be real, but its a damn good comic so far. People seem to forget that All Star Superman is constantly late as well, not as bad as All Star Batman but its late just like most of Johns books, GL and Teen titans have been late since OYL by two weeks at least. Its a big problem, but its an industry wide change.

The Batman said:

These are the same complaints people bring up against marvel, and im glad that The Batman is one of few that is able to see past the false heavenly presence people give DC.

The Batman said:
Fair enough.

I wish these creators werent lazy. And that's what the real problem is, IMO. And I hate when companies try to throw that "I'd rather have a quality book than a non-late one" line like you cant do both

True. Brevoort and others have said that monthly comics are a thing of the past and that the industry is changing. Well, ok, we can accept that, just dont solicit them monthly then.

All-Star Superman is the second most overrated book out right now (behind the Ultimates)

It's not bad at all (unlike the Ultimates), but it's just nowhere near as great as people say it is. It is definetely not one of Morrison's best. I think that DC should just give up on the All-Star line.

Same with the Confidential line, there's no need for it at all.

I think Geoff is having a better time writing TT, and it shows. Pre-OYL, TT was always disappointing for me, but this OYL version is better written overall. The roster sucks, but i think its kinda a better book than it was before.

Nightwing....Wolfman's back on the title, which is infinitely better than the crap we've gotten the past few years.

Robin's pretty exciting right now, IMO. Hopefully, the new writer will stay on and flesh out the characters more, but i think its off to a good start.

Yeah...Justice is mindless action. But...its excellent mindless action and pretty pictures, and even makes classic Aquaman a badass to those who didnt know that Aquaman was ALWAYS a badass...ok, not always, but you get my point. I love All Star Supes for its silver age throwback, and to be honest, i havent read the rest of mad monk so far. i was just going off what happened in the monster men.

hippie_hunter said:
All-Star Superman is the second most overrated book out right now (behind the Ultimates)

It's not bad at all (unlike the Ultimates), but it's just nowhere near as great as people say it is. It is definetely not one of Morrison's best. I think that DC should just give up on the All-Star line.

Same with the Confidential line, there's no need for it at all.

Personally, i think the All Star books need retooling, and that they shouldnt be done until the main continuity books have big names and focus.

The Confidential line is a waste, and the problem with DC is that they keep doing the same damn Year One stories on people who's year one's were clearly defined. I dont need another rookie batman or superman story. How about Wonder Woman, who hasnt had an updated origin since perez? Flash? GL? Why the same fleshed out characters?

The Batman said:
Personally, i think the All Star books need retooling, and that they shouldnt be done until the main continuity books have big names and focus.

The Confidential line is a waste, and the problem with DC is that they keep doing the same damn Year One stories on people who's year one's were clearly defined. I dont need another rookie batman or superman story. How about Wonder Woman, who hasnt had an updated origin since perez? Flash? GL? Why the same fleshed out characters?

Agree with all of this.

The Batman said:
I think Geoff is having a better time writing TT, and it shows. Pre-OYL, TT was always disappointing for me, but this OYL version is better written overall. The roster sucks, but i think its kinda a better book than it was before.

I disagree. The book seems to have no purpose or direction at the moment.

The Batman said:
Nightwing....Wolfman's back on the title, which is infinitely better than the crap we've gotten the past few years.

Ok, but Wolfman has only done 2 issues, OYL was defined by Jones craptacular run. Never forget.:csad:

The Batman said:
Robin's pretty exciting right now, IMO. Hopefully, the new writer will stay on and flesh out the characters more, but i think its off to a good start.

Ill tell you something, im enjoying Robin as well. After the whole Cassandra thing which is just horrible, i really liked the Boomerang two parter and the last couple of issues with Dodge.

The Batman said:
Yeah...Justice is mindless action. But...its excellent mindless action and pretty pictures, and even makes classic Aquaman a badass to those who didnt know that Aquaman was ALWAYS a badass...ok, not always, but you get my point. I love All Star Supes for its silver age throwback, and to be honest, i havent read the rest of mad monk so far. i was just going off what happened in the monster men.

Ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"