DC plans to kill Batman

Will everybody hate me if I said that rather than have Batman killed, I think it'd be cool if his secret identity was revealed to the masses in some way? Just a thought...

Will everybody hate me if I said that rather than have Batman killed, I think it'd be cool if his secret identity was revealed to the masses in some way? Just a thought...

It would be cool if his death inspired Gotham to take action just like his parents death inspired him, in a sort of non continuum story were anything goes, and the joker dies at the end!

Well he could always use a Lazarus pit or DC could pull another "Jason Todd/red hood."

If Batman really does die, I'm REALLY interested in seeing what the Joker's reaction to the news and how it plays out.

I'm all for them killing off Batman as long as it's a good story and done well like Cap and not horrible written and drawn out like Superman.

Great! Let's out the greatest detective in the world just to sell some comics. :whatever:

I'm all for them killing off Batman as long as it's a good story and done well like Cap and not horrible written and drawn out like Superman.

Yeah, well most of us are not for it.

Like in...Civil War? :wow:

You've been visiting that Augusta Barnes and Noble too much, son. :dry:

Great! Let's out the greatest detective in the world just to sell some comics. :whatever:

No need for eye rolling, I just thought it might be more interesting than killing him just to sell some comics. You could deal with the shock of the public (and his foes), the difficulty Batman faces now trying to do the work, maybe him giving it all up. It could be like Over the Edge on acid...

Like in...Civil War? :wow:

So it's been done then? :csad:

BubbaGump said:
You've been visiting that Augusta Barnes and Noble too much, son. :dry:

You're getting creepy in your old age. :dry:

No need for eye rolling, I just thought it might be more interesting than killing him just to sell some comics. You could deal with the shock of the public (and his foes), the difficulty Batman faces now trying to do the work, maybe him giving it all up. It could be like Over the Edge on acid.

What are you saying? Kill him in the public's eye? Reveal he is Bruce Wayne? What?

I'm sorry if I don't care to read story that destroys the basis of my childhood hero. There is nothing great or interesting about this topic.

I don't care if its a publicity stunt, I'd read that... Frankly I want to see Dick Grayson in action, and I liked those power struggle issues of Knightfall where Dick, Azrael (and Lobo?) were all fighting for the cowl.

Actually, depends on who is writing and illustrating it. If either Jeph Loeb or Jim Lee crop up I'm not interested.

What are you saying? Kill him in the public's eye? Reveal he is Bruce Wayne? What?

I'm sorry if I don't care to read story that destroys the basis of my childhood hero. There is nothing great or interesting about this topic.

Eh, maybe it's an idea that only sounds good in my mind. My thinking was that if DC is absolutely set on having a big, publicity stunt-ish, reader grabbing arc, rather than kill Batman off, somehow have his secret identity revealed to the public. The people of Gotham, the police force, and Batman's foes would all be shocked, Joker would react in his own twisted way, etc. Batman's crime fighting abilities would be hindered, as thugs would think of him as nothing more than a mere man, and a pretty boy to boot, under the mask. On top of that, with Bruce's identity out in the open, he's unable to get any respite from Batman, people asking him for help during his free time, assassination attempts, and such until he decides to hang up the cape and cowl. It's probably a supid idea, but I can just imagine it being a cooler way to tie up the series and start fresh if they must, rather than giving him a death that is unlikely to satisfy the majority of fans.

Well he could always use a Lazarus pit or DC could pull another "Jason Todd/red hood."
lazarus pit doesnt work on the dead. and i think DC has used up all their reality altering punches for the century.

If Batman really does die, I'm REALLY interested in seeing what the Joker's reaction to the news and how it plays out.
i'd like to think if batman died, joker would just kill himself because he'd feel he has nothing left to live for.

lazarus pit doesnt work on the dead. and i think DC has used up all their reality altering punches for the century.

yes it does, hence Jason Todd. That was what one of the emo-punches changed.

They ****ed up bane in Infinite Crisis.

lets be real here...they f**ked up Bane as soon as they reformed him and turned him into one of the bat-family, which was long before Infinite Crisis...if anything, IC fixed him by turning him back into a back breaking psycho.

Outing Batman to the masses is a good idea too. Wow a *gasp* interesting, forward moving Batman story? Yeah I understand why your against it now...

It worked for Daredevil so why not Batman? Get a good writer and it's a good story.

Outing Batman to the masses is a good idea too. Wow a *gasp* interesting, forward moving Batman story? Yeah I understand why your against it now...

It worked for Daredevil so why not Batman? Get a good writer and it's a good story.

it's not forward movement if at the end, the status quo is resumed, as it was in Daredevil, and will be in Spider-Man...and everyone knowing Bruce is Batman forever would destroy the entire thing, as Batman is just a guy, and would have to be arrested.

One might think that the rumor was published in LITG so early on,
in hope of making DC change their plans. Just as they were
"forced" to do with Nightwing in "Infinite Crisis".

Personally, I hope they stick to their current plans
(whichever they are) and not back paddle at the last moment.

Last minute changes never work well
(see "ARMEGADDON 2001", "INFINITE CRISIS" and OYL NIGHTWING).

As long as this is well written I think it's a story with great potential. I want it to happen. I want to see how the Robins deal with it, who takes over, what are the effects on other heroes. Sure you could always do it in Elseworlds.... but this way it has more balls. It's a huge idea, make it count and treat it seriously. I really don't care if it's a publicity stunt either.

at rather than have Batman killed, I think it'd be cool if his secret identity was revealed to the masses in some way? Just a thought...

:up: would like to see this too. Only problem is it would be pretty hard to reverse.

Eh, maybe it's an idea that only sounds good in my mind. My thinking was that if DC is absolutely set on having a big, publicity stunt-ish, reader grabbing arc, rather than kill Batman off, somehow have his secret identity revealed to the public. The people of Gotham, the police force, and Batman's foes would all be shocked, Joker would react in his own twisted way, etc. Batman's crime fighting abilities would be hindered, as thugs would think of him as nothing more than a mere man, and a pretty boy to boot, under the mask. On top of that, with Bruce's identity out in the open, he's unable to get any respite from Batman, people asking him for help during his free time, assassination attempts, and such until he decides to hang up the cape and cowl. It's probably a supid idea, but I can just imagine it being a cooler way to tie up the series and start fresh if they must, rather than giving him a death that is unlikely to satisfy the majority of fans.

Let me take a line from old Alfred on this one, "The only life that's important to him is his life as Batman. Take him to a hosipital and you'll expose Batman to be Bruce Wayne. You'll save his body, certainly. But you will have killed that man."

There you have it. :cwink:

Ummm, no it 's not. Outing a hero's secret is the dumbest move in comic. Doing it to Batman would be worse that any other hero. Why? Here ya go...

"The only life that's important to him is his lafe as Batman. Take him to a hosipital and you'll expose Batman to be Bruce Wayne. You'll save his body, certainly. But you will have killed that man."

Anyone who really knows the Batman character would know this.

Ever thought of the idea not killing Bruce but just Batman?

It could play out like this:
Someone reveals his secret identity (and with it, that of Robin's and Nightwings).
They are bassically "left for dead". They need to withdraw from the stage for a while, making up new plans, training in secret etc. Only to come back as a force to be reckonned (sp?) with.

And restart Batman & Detective comics (Though I hope they won't go that far.)

DC already gets a "kill off" freebie with Superman.

They're not killing off Batman...it's an absurd stunt that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever coinciding with the fact that they apparently plan to pull this cliched gag right at the on set of TDK's theatrical run...

Plus if this was true...why the hell would word get out about it now? If it were any sort of significant story, they'd be sensible and pull a Karen Page or, oh hell Superman, and not come out MONTHS in advance and say "LOOK AT WHAT WE'RE GONNA DO!"

DC cannot be THIS stupid...surely not...So I don't believe it.

CFE

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"