DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 2

I'm with you but his Bat/Cat romance has been the only positive development. Mind you I dont care personally about this ship just speaking generally. His run has taken such a steep nose dive since Jokes and Riddles story that I honestly dont know what to say. I think he doesn't have any real story to tell so he introduced what he knew everyone would see as an important development so obviously he is going to follow up on it because if he doesn't then does he have ? He's been writing filler after filler for a year. Even this big Joker story is just 2 issues. Its only big because Joker.
King is a fantastic writer but looking at his body of work its clear that he has never written an ongoing before Batman. Everything else is a limited series or a one and done. DC made a mistake putting someone without any ongoing experience on their biggest book which ships twice a month. 2 years later he still hasn't found his tone and basic framework. Even the 2 back to back Bane stories feel like they feature 2 completely different versions of Bane,the tonal imbalance and lack of content is frustrating.

The whole Bat/Cat thing is what it is, they are not lois/clark or Dinah/Oliver...they will always be on two different sides because of who the characters are in the core.
It is just the most glaring problem with Kings run at the moment because he shoves everything aside to excuse how it can work...even if it means throwing every character and who they are under the train.

I agree with the rest of your post.
It is frustrating to see that he does have good ideas, but this is where it begins and ends.
Every arc he has done so far, has tremendous potential but is inconsistent in the whole style and idea of his writing.
I was at the beginning really, really, really excited for Kings run when it was annouced but every arc has dissapointed more than the last.

So, Benjamin Percy is now on Nightwing and has shared some pages. Art looks great so far.

Kind of ticked about this tbh. Humphries was absolutely killing it. Hate to see the change.

As to the whole Bat/Cat relationship: I need not rehash my frustration with King’s Batman. I like King. I like Batman. I don’t like King on Batman. (And I absolutely hated The War of Jokes and Riddles.) All that said, I am completely ok with this marriage.

Last edited:
Anyone else reading Titans? I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on this storyline and how it portrays Justice League and where the story is headed.

I'm surprised New Superman lasted this long. Does anybody read it?

I haven't really been following the Bat side of things.

Is Cassandra Cain still present in Detective Comics? is she still Orphan?

Yeah whenever i saw a new issue i wondered how it was still going.
I always wanted to give it a try and see if it works.

I did. It was a good book but works more like Invincible than anything else. It would've been better if set in a world of its own. I still wish we could get a Cal-Zod solo Superman book though.

On thing I'm disappointed about with Action Comics 1000 is that I thought we were going to get a new story fromthe creators of Superman and we didn't.

Yes I read New Super-Man and the Justice League of China as it may come to an end soon within the next couple of months.

As for a new story from Superman's creators, it's in the hardcover book Action Comics: 80 Years of Superman and not in Action Comics #1000.

Today's Superman story was exactly what I wanted from a Superman comic book: heartfelt, touching, and left me with a huge smile, much like the previous issue where they went to the fair (can't recall the issue number).

Justice League...kind of threw me off. Can someone please remind me if the current arc is tied to People vs. The JL or not?

As for this week's Batman, wow. When I turned to Bat's reveal in the current Gotham, my only thought was, "Eat your heart out, Flashpoint Batman".

The last two issues have left me saying “I’ve waited for this?” Definitely poor pacing. I’m kind of surprised given the minds behind it. It should be better.

This story is like what you get when Geoff Johns is possessed by the ghost of Tom King. And they turn out their most boring work.

About DC #4...was Byron really able to fly or was that a figment of Reggie's imagination? I'm not very good at reading subtext and such, I'll be honest. Also, are the letters that appear at the end of each issue of DC canon or just there to add some background on the characters?

Welp. Im happy to say I loved Action Comics #1000. A couple of "just good" ones in there, and while I'm looking forward to Bendis's run, this little teaser was pretty plain. Such a damn shame we didn't get Morrison/Quietly or Waid involved. That would've just been... ugh. Such a shame.

My faves were the Tomasi/Gleason story, the Tom King one and the Johns/Donner one.

Today's Superman story was exactly what I wanted from a Superman comic book: heartfelt, touching, and left me with a huge smile, much like the previous issue where they went to the fair (can't recall the issue number.

I can’t wait to read this one. That sounds like just how I love Superman written. I really don’t mind the occasional cheesy story like Superman taking hospitalized kids to the Watchtower for a scavenger hunt. I think those stories are what make the character great.

As for this week's Batman, wow. When I turned to Bat's reveal in the current Gotham, my only thought was, "Eat your heart out, Flashpoint Batman".

Good heavens that was a good issue. I love it. It’s been a long while since I’ve found myself anticipating the next Batman issue but this one did it. And Dick is hard core.

Booster’s naïveté played perfectly for this story and King’s style. Two thumbs up.

I can’t wait to read this one. That sounds like just how I love Superman written. I really don’t mind the occasional cheesy story like Superman taking hospitalized kids to the Watchtower for a scavenger hunt. I think those stories are what make the character great.

Good heavens that was a good issue. I love it. It’s been a long while since I’ve found myself anticipating the next Batman issue but this one did it. And Dick is hard core.

Booster’s naïveté played perfectly for this story and King’s style. Two thumbs up.

:awesome:

GRAYSON! I MEANT GRAYSON!

Seriously. In the gutter

Bleeding Cool with some big rumors/speculations... DC possibly doing a relaunch later this year with their own Fresh Start initiative:

Grant Morrison on Green Lantern
Kelly Sue DeConnick on Aquaman
Brian Azzarello on Suicide Squad

Can no one break the wheel of never-ending relaunches and reboots? Doomsday Clock wouldn't have wrapped up by the time we've seen Rebirth, New Age of Heroes, and whatever follows.

Last edited:
Bleeding Cool with some big rumors/speculations... DC possibly doing a relaunch later this year with their own Fresh Start initiative:

Grant Morrison on Green Lantern
Kelly Sue DeConnick on Aquaman
Brian Azzarello on Suicide Squad

I'd love to see Grant on GL. Especially if it's Hal.

I quite enjoyed Action Comics #1000. Nothing earth-shattering but you could feel the respect the artists and writers had for Superman and how much influence he has had on them. I enjoyed all of them, and read it quite quickly. My fave was the Tom King one.

There was a signing here in Sydney for Nicola Scott’’s Action Comics #1000 variant (Superman’s 80th) and I got my copy signed:

Db_KBYd_VVQAAf_PZN.jpg

Db_IQb_EMU8_AAh_Eg_M.jpg

Annette Kwong and Nicola Scott

Db_IXn_Kp_VQAAiz_AI.jpg

Db_IXn_Ho_VAAAI0_Cf.jpg

Db_IXn_Kr_VAAAxl_Dv.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"