Dead in his sights...Will Smith Is Deadshot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I wouldn't like that either. Why the hell make him an anti-hero?
With that being said, considering that he's a hitman that tends to be hired by mafia and other criminal organizations, I doubt that many people he gets to kill are very nice guys.

Anyway, I think it's just Ayer fondness for having a zealously religious character in his films, when it comes to these inscriptions.

With that being said, considering that he's a hitman that tends to be hired by mafia and other criminal organizations, I doubt that many people he gets to kill are very nice guys.

Anyway, I think it's just Ayer fondness for having a zealously religious character in his films, when it comes to these inscriptions.

Shia LaBeouf played a character whose nickname was Bible in Fury and he was the most smelly guy in the movie.

I agree, but I can DEFINITELY see Will Smith wanting his character to be portrayed as morally "good" regardless.

I agree, but I can DEFINITELY see Will Smith wanting his character to be portrayed as morally "good" regardless.

Thats my concern...

Otherwise don't be Deadshot. Just be Black Spider if he wants to be a hitman of bad guys and considers himself "good".

Although, the rumored scenes between him and Batman have my interest.

If the rumors are true about the Batman solo being like The Good The Bad and The Ugly, with Batman as The Good, Joker as The Bad, and Deadshot as The Ugly then I can see Deadshot being a hitman with a moral compass and not a straight up villain.

Shia LaBeouf played a character whose nickname was Bible in Fury and he was the most smelly guy in the movie.

Religious zealots usually are. :oldrazz:

But, yeah, that's what I'm getting at, Ayer seems to like having such characters in his films.

I get what you mean, which is one of the reasons why I never liked the casting of Will Smith. We'll see.

If the rumors are true about the Batman solo being like The Good The Bad and The Ugly, with Batman as The Good, Joker as The Bad, and Deadshot as The Ugly then I can see Deadshot being a hitman with a moral compass and not a straight up villain.

I think Deadshot and The Joker are reversed in this scenario, lol but yeah, I'm hoping and praying that idea goes down the drain and Deadshot isn't involved with the solo Batman film. In any capacity. Honestly. Even as a b-villian or side plot. It seems like such a waste in my opinion. The character simply doesn't deserve to be there. Throw in Will's performance/characterization being (seemingly) subpar emphasizes the point for me.

Besides, I can't conceive of a word where Will Smith's Deadshot, the extent of whom's villainy we're questioning right now, is only a step down from The Joker. H*** No!

Somehow, though, I feel that whole thing only exists as an idea to placate Will for not being marketed as the main attraction in SS. Just a hunch.

This Joker did kill Robin so I don't think Batman would team up with him.

This Joker did kill Robin so I don't think Batman would team up with him.

What? I meant, you put deadshot as "the ugly" and the joker as "the bad" when they're reversed. As in the joker is "the ugly" and deadshot is "the bad". Supposedly. lol

What? I meant, you put deadshot as "the ugly" and the joker as "the bad" when they're reversed. As in the joker is "the ugly" and deadshot is "the bad". Supposedly. lol

You must have never seen The Good, Bad and the Ugly.

The "Ugly" was a villain, scoundrel, but sort of a comic relief and had a bit of tragic past as well.

As far as Smith's performance I've heard he was meh. But I've also heard he's great. Just seems to depend on personal preference. Its Will Smith being Will Smith. However, more "Prime Will Smith" from what I hear.

You must have never seen The Good, Bad and the Ugly.

The "Ugly" was a villain, scoundrel, but sort of a comic relief and had a bit of tragic past as well.

As far as Smith's performance I've heard he was meh. But I've also heard he's great. Just seems to depend on personal preference. Its Will Smith being Will Smith. However, more "Prime Will Smith" from what I hear.

Whatever. My point about him being in the batman movie still stands. Super undeserved.

Will in his prime was never visibly out of place. Or not even a blip on the radar where selling a movie is concerned. So i'm going to lean toward the former until release.

I feel he was only cast because WB was grasping for an A-Lister. Character be damned! I would've preferred someone like Wesley Snipes in the part, but it is what it is.

Will Smith said that the opportunity to play Deadshot was too good to pass up. “I had never played a character that legitimately didn’t give a *****,” Smith said. “It’s very freeing”.

That's right from Ostrander. I wonder if they'll touch on anything from Deadshot: Beginnings with his origin.

Interesting
However, Smith admitted that he had to turn to director David Ayer for help on developing his approach to playing the character. "I couldn’t find a model to understand what would make someone comfortable killing another person for money. David walked me through that. He found a book for me (The Anatomy of Motive by John Douglas), and I worked through getting into the mind of serial killers. Once I accepted the [notion the author puts forth] that it feels good, that really exploded the idea in my mind of Deadshot."

When you look at his resume, it's pretty clear that playing bad guys is out of Smith's comfort zone.

"Will Smith as Will Smith with an eyepiece." :oldrazz:

Though, he might surprise.

When Will Smith commits himself to a role he's not "Will Smith"

Pursuit of Happyness.
Concussion
Ali
Seven Pounds
I Am Legend

I do think he probably resorted to being Will Smith for this though. Lets just hope its "prime Will" where he's so charismatic that you just go along with the performance.

I think ideally if Tom Hardy stayed on he should have played Deadshot and Will Smith should have played Rick Flag.

Last edited:
Out of these I think I liked him in "The Pursuit of Happyness" the most. It's true that he's not as one-note as people make him out to be, but, I don't know, there's something about him that stays with him in each role to me. Anyway, I won't mind it that much if he turns it into one of his strengths for this role, though I would like to see him truly transform into a shady character, for once.

Oh, and I was mostly joking, paraphrasing that old Black Narcissus' avatar sig. :cwink:

I don't know if you watched Fury but somehow David Ayer got the most out of Shia Labeouf.

I'm actually confident about Jai Courtney so that lets you know the kind of director Ayer is.

I don't know if you watched Fury but somehow David Ayer got the most out of Shia Labeouf.

I'm actually confident about Jai Courtney so that lets you know the kind of director Ayer is.

I did. Didn't like the film much, but I thought the performance from actors was quite good, even LaBeouf.

Heh, good point about Courtney. Ayer does seem to have very serious methods to get his actors in the state of mind he wants them to be in. This is certainly promising.

CnROU8rXgAAJS3d.jpg

Prior to this movie Deadshot had always been developing into an anti hero from the moment the SUICIDE SQUAD concept first came into play in the comics. The idea of Lawton's relationship with his daughter, which once again originated pre movie, told me the character was no longer the straight up villain he was created to be.

Besides a summer blockbuster, likely now to be huge at the box office, was never going to have completely villainous characters as the protagonists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"