Deadman: The Series

HighFivingMF

Welp.
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: With Smallville ending its 10-season run this past May, the CW has made launching a new superhero franchise based on a DC property a priority. The network’s first effort this development season is Deadman, a drama based on the DC Comics books by Arnold Drake and Carmine Infantino, which will be written and executive produced by Supernatural creator Eric Kripke. The project is about the spirit of a murdered man, Boston Brand, who lives on as he inhabits other people’s bodies and helps them solve crises in their own lives. It is produced by Warner Bros. TV, which handles the mining of the DC catalog for TV series.

“We’re looking next year to do a superhero show if the right superhero comes to be,” CW president Mark Pedowitz said at TCA last month, noting the advantage of having Time Warner-owned DC Comics in the family. (CW is a joint venture of Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS). Getting Kripke to develop Deadman seems like a no-brainer as he is the man behind CW’s longest running scripted series on the air. Sci-fi drama Supernatural enters its seventh season this fall and Pedowitz recently indicated that it is not intended to be the show’s last. While no longer a hands-on showrunner (Supernatural is co-run by Sera Gamble and Robert Singer), Kripke continues to serve as an executive producer.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/cw-...n-of-comic-deadman-with-supernatural-creator/

I approve of this.

It's like Quantum Leap!!! I can see a Deadman show working well that way, as long as they don't let it drag on too long.

Sounds great.

*crosses fingers that this series doesn't die in development hell*

just saw the news myself. supernatural creator is a perfect fit for this character. i hope it happens. Could turn into an interesting series.

I think, at the very least, this will make it to pilot season. The new head of the network has said he's interested in more DC properties, and having the guy who's given the CW one of their longest lasting series, with a rabid fanbase to boot, behind it can only be a good thing.

So is there any actors any one would like to see or think fits the role of boston brand?

never saw supernatural. it wasn't all bubblegum and cheese like smallville was it?

How would they handle this? Would you see Deadman as him self (like in Quantum Leap) or would you see the person he's controlling?

I´m not sure what to think about this project but I will definitely watch the first episode if it gets made.

never saw supernatural. it wasn't all bubblegum and cheese like smallville was it?

Supernatural is pretty dark and grimm. Most episodes may even leave you feeling slightly depressed. But you shouldn't compare it to Smallville since Superman is supposed to be positive and light hearted.

I approve... but DC hasn't had the best track record of converting announcements to actual shows.

EDIT:

Let me elaborate here.

Last edited:
I may watch it but honestly, I don't think this will do well. If the CW was smart, I'd say do a Nightwing or even a Martian Manhunter show. They could both be done with a small budget................smaller than Smallville's budget anyway. Plus it can kind of fit in with CW's theme of crappy shows that show young people in love or something to that effect. I hate that crap but I think the producers can find a way around it anyway. Just saying that not sure Deadman is the hero you want to bring to the small screen when DC has a lot more they can work with. It's like bringing Jonah Hex, Steel and Catwoman to the big screen when we have yet to see a Flash, Wonder Woman, or Aquaman(yeah shoot me :argh:). Why are you holding all your biggest cards until the genre burns out? :huh:

my guess would be we the audience would see boston all the time, and say if he looks in mirror he sees image of who ever he is possessing at the time. But of course in the show the characters would only see the character he is taking over.

Plus it can kind of fit in with CW's theme of crappy shows that show young people in love or something to that effect.

Their other show about supernatural things and darkness is on it's 7th season.

Eric Kripke, people. Eric ****ing Kripke! This isn't like David E. Kelley screwing around with Wonder Woman. This actually has potential.

I'm only interested because of Kripke. Seasons 1-5 of Supernatural were fantastic. Season 6 was "meh" probably because Kripke stepped down.

Season 6 was still great. :o

One of my favorite characters.

I hope they do this right... Deadman isn't your typical superhero this has potential to be a really great adventure/horror show.

I hope they keep his costume.

In an alternate universe, season 6 was awesome.

I trust Kripke; WB less so. I just hope they didn't pick Deadman only for its "budget title" possibilities.

In other words, Deadman would be easy to pull off really cheaply (and possibly lamely) because he could just be a series of normal-looking actors (i.e. - No makeup or special effects) with the occasional poorly CGI-d apparition passing between them.

As long as the thing doesn't come off cheap and feels like Deadman rather than Deadman-lite, I'm all for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"