• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight Rises Definitive Batman Movie

ThatDamnNinja

Sidekick
Reaction score
Okay, so we've had Batman and Batman Returns, which were essentially the semi-gothic Tim Burton-ified versions of the Batman universe.

We've had Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, which were totally ridiculous and campy and nothing like the comics.

And we have Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and whatever the third one is, which are more ground, gritty, realistic versions of the Batman universe.

...will we ever get a definitive Batman movie? I mean, I love Batman Begins and The Dark Knight should be great, but I'd love to see a Batman movie that is just as realistic and just as ridiculous as the comics... where the we have villains that look straight out the comics, and the origins are neither cartoonified or made to be more grounded in realism.

More than anything, I'd like to see a definitive Joker. I mean, Jack Nicholson was pretty much just being Jack Nicholson, and although Heath seems like he's turning in a great performance, it certainly isn't going to be the straight of the comics version I'd eventually like to see.

Anyone agree? Anyone think we'll ever get one?

You got the fan films thats the closest you are going to get to a true to original comic film you are going to get. Batman is really hard to do live action without it looking kinda silly

My definitive Batman movie would borrow the designs of Gotham from Batman Returns, and the characterizations of Nolan's film(s), including his focus on Bruce Wayne/Batman.

My definitive Batman will film would be Burton's gothic BR setting, Nolan directing with his cast, and Bruce Timm hired on to polish a script written by both Daniel Waters (BR) and David Goyer (BB).

If someone writes a Graphic Novel that's extremely popular and radically critically acclaimed (300, Sin City) then perhaps, you might get a more direct translation.

Otherwise, expect more gritty spin.

You will never get a definitive Batman movie because there simply is no definitive Batman comic. The Dark Knight Returns may be epic, the Kane/Finger comics may be legendary, and The Long Halloween may be a thrilling mystery, but none of them are the definitive version of Batman. All of them have been tainted by their respective creators. Just as Batman, Returns, Forever, Robin, and Begins have all been tainted by their directors.

The absolute closest you'll ever come to a definitive interpretation is an interpretation that is definitive to one particular person. Personally, B89 is as definitive as Batman will ever get. My only disappointed in the film is that Burton never made direct sequels to it.

The absolute closest you'll ever come to a definitive interpretation is an interpretation that is definitive to one particular person.
And if I ever get my definitive interpretation it'll be the best goddamn Batman anybody ever saw!

If you mean as how close to the comics they are, there will never be a definite Batman movie. Things will always be different. Then, it's also subjective. Not everyone will consider one version the definite version.
The absolute closest you'll ever come to a definitive interpretation is an interpretation that is definitive to one particular person. Personally, B89 is as definitive as Batman will ever get. My only disappointed in the film is that Burton never made direct sequels to it.

If I were to choose which one were the closest to 'definite', I would go with B'89 as well, but I do think it can get more definite. Whether it ever will, that is the question.

I love all Batman movies,except for Batman & Robin.The only one that has ever come close to what I'd think is the definitive Batman movie storywise is BB,but B'89 stylistically is the closest,still neither of them are the definitive version in my opinion.

^The definate version is only in the eye of the beholder i personaly love a movie with the look and feel of B89 and the story of BB.

^The definate version is only in the eye of the beholder i personaly love a movie with the look and feel of B89 and the story of BB.
If this were true then the term 'definitive' would be nonsensical but the fact is that 'definitive' is a perfectly valid expression so something definitive must be capable of being defined.

I think The Dark Knight will be as 'definitive' a movie as Batman can get . . .

Yeah, I should add, if you're talking about how comic accurate a Batman movie could be, the closest thing you could get is a direct adaptation of a specific Batman comic.

well, DC's doing dtvs that are adaptations from popular comic books, so we might get the "definitive" batman movie there. if they do HUSH, i'll be happy.

My definitive movie? Well, the tone would be a mix of Nolan's gritty realism, and Burton's stylish over-the-topism, which would allow for all sorts of crazy villians. Also, I know it sounds silly, but I'd love to actually do the neon thugs thing again, but with darker neon colours. I mean, those guys were cool, and one of the only good things to come out of BF and B&R.
Now, I would love to do my version of the Joker, which ( I know this will sound silly, but) would basically be a mix of Nicholson, Ledger, and the combined way that both Two-Face and The Riddler act in BF (they were horrible for their respective villians, but I'd love to see that kind of Joker).
The suit. Well, it'd be once again a mixture of all the stuff I liked from the other incarnations. It would be like the comic suit, black and grey, with a cowl from this, boots from that. I think that that would be something that could actually be brought up and talked about in the film, Bruce Wayne's choice of going for a suit like what he wears (spandex and kevlar, and everything else), instead of something made of armor.

But, that's just me.

...will we ever get a definitive Batman movie?
No, because there's no such thing. The only "definitive" Batman is the one that exists inside each Batman fan's head.

Even if you are trying to be "faithful to the comics," you then have to argue about which comics to be faithful to. And the comics have certainly been as scatterbrained and all over the place as the films have.

U are speaking my language Ninja, I'm all about that as my signature states below. I really don't understand why it's so hard for movie execs to grab on that simple fact, I've been saying that for years. If it aint broke, don't fix it. And I think Stan Lee is the man that has been really grabbing on this philosophy more than anyone, since he created like more than half of the Marvel Universe and plays intricate parts in his character's movies. They haven't all been straight from the comics, but I think he's come the closest to being true to the comic-world. After all Spider-Man 2 is still the one to beat hands down. Part of the whole comic-trip is that although the real world is portrayed in it, a touch of fantasy gives the hope, the wonder, and the imagination, that if any one of us made a suit, we're dedicated to justice, and didn't give a crap about what anyone thought (and had plenty of money in Batman's case) these kind of heroes could be made. Now with the power of blue/green screen, CGI and so much more, our favorite comics can jump on to the screen easily. Movie execs would make mad money and we the fans would be buying up tickets till we're broke. But these movie fools don't get it. Honestly Ninja, I have a sad feeling this is as good as we're gonna get as far as Batman movies go; that's pretty pessimistic, but I think that's the reality of it. As u can see, this is my primary pet peeve, that and getting right actors for the right characters.

I need to go catch a breather; I'm lightheaded with frustration :) j/k

What is definite for someone might not be definite for someone else. To me, Alan Moore and Brian Bolland's Joker was the definite version, but not everyone will agree. The definite version is the version that embodies the character the most in visual look, style, personality, and characterization. But there are so many different versions that the "definite" one is the one you like best and means Batman to you more than any other.

The "definite Batman movie" is basically the one that captures Batman to what the viewer believes is flawlessly. Head on over to The Dark Knight and Begins forums, and you will find several who's definite version of Batman is Christian Bale's representation. I could explain what my definite version would be but of the films, none of them are the definite version to me. I like them all in their own right, but they've yet to make that Batman movie in my eye.

There are so many versions and different writers of Bats that yes it would be hard to please everyone, but I feel if you go with current adaptations of the characters that could be as definitive as u could get for such a broad audience. Everyone has their favorite comic or era but the characters haven't changed dramatically throughout the years from the 80's to the present (besides the campy Bats-era before then), but if you're able to catch the essence of each character, or even multiple essences, get their get-ups and looks right, and bring them up to date with a recent Bat comic like Hush, or where at least the comic or even a certain era is common to everyone, I think that is the basis for THE Batman film that all can agree on. The Batman was done right in the 80s when he truly became dark hence, The Dark Knight being born. And the underlying of all that is STAYING TRUE to each character origin whether it be a Lazarus Pit or a vat of chemicals making permanent white bleached skin......hope you're reading this Nolan :)

In our latest series of Bat-films, is the industry faithful to the comic? Not completely; more than half-baked though...

Is it better than anything we've ever seen from a Bat-flick? Absolutely

But will there ever be a definitive Bat-film entirely dedicated to the comic, or the era? Let me bust this out in Spanish for u...........

NO. (No one is dedicated to commit.)

ps- on a positive note (slightly) if u love all the campy versions of the 60s Batman show and the old comic tongue-in-cheek comics, I suppose Schumacher committed when he made Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, if u wanna look at it like that.

All I know is after Schumacher killed the franchise, he should've been committed.

Well...Nolan is taking the comics and making great films out of them, faithful or not. It's better than making a perfectly faithful adaption which is a crap film (like Ghost Rider...fans of the comic say it's pretty faithful, but it sucks). Not everything works in film like it does on the pages of comics.

Well...Nolan is taking the comics and making great films out of them, faithful or not. It's better than making a perfectly faithful adaption which is a crap film (like Ghost Rider...fans of the comic say it's pretty faithful, but it sucks). Not everything works in film like it does on the pages of comics.

Nolan is doing his thing, there's no question there. We've waited forever for Bats to get this good. But I tell you what, I've never seen Ghost Rider, but if it's as dedicated to the comic as u say, and if Batman was just as dedicated but the movie sucked, that would still be refreshing. Everything may not work on film from comics, but directors, storylines, and the money to make it happen are entirely a different subject. If Nolan did a complete faithful adaptation to the film, you honestly think that would suck? We got the money, the director with the skills, and the comic brought to life....it doesn't get any better. That's Spider-Man 2 chemistry right there KM, and with someone like Nolan at the helm we couldn't fail. 9 out of 10 anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"