Did Sandman and Venom present a greater threat than previous villains?

Venom is a badass, and we all know it.

Speak for yourself, mate. He's a sub-par villain, IMO. You keep saying he's badass, but you cannot justify that statement beyond saying that he simply hates Spider-Man [and for silly reasons, too].

That does not make a badass. Considering all he does is hate Spidey, but has not done anything of any significance to him, it also makes him rather pathetic, too.

Venom is highly overrated.

Venom is a badass, and we all know it. He doesn't have to rely on destroying parker's entire existence, he just hates him and thats it.

LOL, you're just proving how superficial a character Venom is.

The Green Goblin was the first person to know Spidey's Secret Identity, he killed Gwen Stacy and that really had a big impact on Peter's life. The Goblin legacy then was passed onto Harry and so on.

Venom had hatred for Spider-Man and always messed with his head. He tricks him, etc. Take the deserted Island for example. Venom had Spidey trapped there and the only way Spidey could defeat him is by using his smart brain and tircking Venom into thinking the explosion killed Spidey.

Venom is defenitley awesome and I love him!

Basically the point I'm trying to make is that they are both very interesting and extremley badass Villians. One killed his girlfriend (who he was going to marry) and the other a Villian who toys with Peter and likes to beat the crap out of Spidey. Two very big things if you ask me.

...nothing is wrong saying Venom is badass...because he is, he's a badass.

I'm not one to read comics, but I do actually own SOME comics of Venom, just because, to me, he's the greatest Marvel villain(or one of them, I like Dr. Doom and Apocalypse also).

Not because he's like a leader-type of villain, but he's a huge mofo, and that's just cool, imo.

...there'll be a lot of flaming now I bet...oh, here we go...

...nothing is wrong saying Venom is badass...because he is, he's a badass.

I'm not one to read comics, but I do actually own SOME comics of Venom, just because, to me, he's the greatest Marvel villain(or one of them, I like Dr. Doom and Apocalypse also).

Not because he's like a leader-type of villain, but he's a huge mofo, and that's just cool, imo.

...there'll be a lot of flaming now I bet...oh, here we go...

..yup Venom is a badass. Like I said, has he permanently screwed w/ Parker as much as Norman has? No.

Venom is without a doubt,kick ass!:sym: Vicious monster on the outside,unstable ball of rage on the inside.

edit.

I did have a response to the original post of this thread, but I think everyones already covered every aspect.

Speak for yourself, mate. He's a sub-par villain, IMO. You keep saying he's badass, but you cannot justify that statement beyond saying that he simply hates Spider-Man [and for silly reasons, too].

That does not make a badass. Considering all he does is hate Spidey, but has not done anything of any significance to him, it also makes him rather pathetic, too.

Venom is highly overrated.

As much as I like Venom, all of what was said in this post is true. Venom is definitely overrated but I feel he still has the potential to be a better villain if a writer made him have a solid foundation for actually hating Spider-Man instead of him hating him for making him lose his job which was in turn all his out fault.

As much as I like Venom, all of what was said in this post is true. Venom is definitely overrated but I feel he still has the potential to be a better villain if a writer made him have a solid foundation for actually hating Spider-Man instead of him hating him for making him lose his job which was in turn all his out fault.
Well, his hate doesn't have to be justified for him to be a well writen villain.

If he hates him for something stupid, it doesn't matter how well written it is, it'll still be dumb.

It’s all subjective actually.
Him hating Peter for ruining his carrier as a news paper photographer and his reputation as such might not be such a big deal for you but for Eddie himself and for other people in a similar position is a very serious issue.
Eddie doesn’t see that it was his own fault. He’s an egomaniac, which makes him the instable person he is.

And if we’re talking about the comics. I’m not sure if it was Eddie’s own fault completely in the original continuity. But last time I read anything about Venom, he shifted his reasoning to hate Peter to the fact that the symbiote has always preferred Peter more than Eddie.

Comic book Eddie's reasons for hating Spider-Man are complete and utter BS! He wouldn't have to be unstable to believe Spider-Man was to blame, he'd have to be mind numbingly stupid.

At least in SM-3, Eddie and Peter actually knew eachother, and some sort of connection. Peter actually did expose Eddie's fraud. In the comic books, Eddie had as much connection to Spider-Man as he did to the Queen of England.

Comic book Eddie's reasons for hating Spider-Man are complete and utter BS! He wouldn't have to be unstable to believe Spider-Man was to blame, he'd have to be mind numbingly stupid.
Oh come on now, that's like saying that movie Green Goblin and movie Dock Ock were stupid for listening to the little voice inside their heads...cough.
Everything can be interpreted as a medical condition and just as mere stupidity. It works both ways.

In the next movie they should have the fight near the end be between the main villain, spiderman, and then venom. Venom and Spiderman temporarily team up, but right when the other villain gets ready to finish Spiderman, Venom should just up and leave

Oh come on now, that's like saying that movie Green Goblin and movie Dock Ock were stupid for listening to the little voice inside their heads...cough.

How? Goblin was trying to save his company, and Ock was trying to save his life's work.

What was so irrational about their way of thinking compared to Eddie Brock blaming Spider-Man for ruining his career because Spider-Man caught a serial killer? Spider-Man and Eddie never met. Didn't know eachother from Adam.

Only a stupid mind could conjure up the train of thought that Spidey ruined his career.

Everything can be interpreted as a medical condition and just as mere stupidity. It works both ways.

Not in this case it doesn't. There's crazy and there's stupid. Comic book Eddie is stupid.

Venom had a much better origin in TAS than the comics.

I think that maybe part of the reason his character has been messed up over the years is this anti-hero crap. Venom should be a nasty,evil and pissed off VILLAIN! Enough of this "trying to do right" stuff.

My sentiments exactly. As far as I'm concerned, if you're going after a hero, you're not an anti-hero, because you're trying to kill someone who's trying to do good. Venom should not be labeled an anti-hero, he should be a badass nasty ass villain who doesn't give a **** about who he kills or when he kills.

Hmm...with a name like Venom I bet it's hard to do good

Venom should never be an anti-hero, he should be a full fledged badass villain.

Venom should never be an anti-hero, he should be a full fledged badass villain.

They tried to keep him like that. But, there's only so many times you can have him stalk Spidey before it gets old. So, they came up with the lame anti-hero routine as a desperate excuse to keep him around.

Venom is a one note character with a weak foundation. Sam Raimi knew this. One of the reasons why he never wanted to use the character.

His foundation wouldn't be weak if he actually got a writer/director who cared enough to make changes for the better. If someone stopped to try & make the character better than what he is, there'd be many ways they could go using Venom or any other character for that matter.

Raimi did make changes for the better. He gave Brock an actual believable reason for hating Peter. Then Venom tried to kill Spider-Man.

That's it. That's all Venom's good for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"