The Dark Knight Rises Discussing the Third Movie and 3D

Well I just hope there are some IMAX showings in 2D. I'm holding out hope that if Nolan shoots this thing on IMAX cameras again (which was most likely, last time I checked), WB will present it the way it was meant to be seen, and not with some distracting 3D transfer.

I hear ya. He may have more IMAX stuff in the film than he did in TDK, but again, it's very doubtful that the entire thing will be shot on IMAX...especially the tighter interior/dialogue stuff. 35mm is still no slouch, mind you, and has better inherent image quality/resolution than just about any HD-and-above digital format out there.

Believe it or not Jaws 3-D was more convincing than these silly new 3-D movies being churned out.

Believe it or not Jaws 3-D was more convincing than these silly new 3-D movies being churned out.

Jaws 4: The Revenge was the best though...with the shark actually roaring...repeatedly.

Anyone willing to bet Nolan might have a thing to say against this? I can't possibly imagine he'd be the type to want the movie in 3D. We really need to stop this 3D nonsense, some sort of grass root campaign or something, Avatar really has poisoned the minds of studio execs.
If you don't wanna watch in 3d then don't. No one is making anyone see the movie in 3D.

They kind of are, two of my local cinemas on the opening weekend were showing Alice in wonderland only once day in 2-D, one at 11.00 am of all times.

I could see him not being crazy about it if it's not what he intends...but again, if it's the process that's done to the film after it's completed (as opposed to filming it that way), it could lessen the 'sting', so to speak, as long as the majority of screenings are in the regular format.

In a way, you can look at it as someone intending to release music in stereo...and then later someone uses Dolby Pro Logic to hear it matrixed into 5.1 surround. It won't really change what the songs are doing, or even really how they sound, but someone may still have an issue with sounds coming from a rear speaker when it wasn't intended to be listened to that way.

Watch the 2D version and get over yourself.
Alright, now people are over-reacting.
I second these posts.
At least we won't have to see Maggie's mug flying towards us.

*thank ya jesus*
:lmao:
But the people will be spending too much time trying to "3d" it, and they loose focus on the more important stuff
Why didnt anyone complain about IMAX? They spent a lot of time and money setting up those cameras and figuring out how to work with them and yet no one *****ed about it.

Last edited:
What bothers me is that most people don't know the difference between a film that was shot in 3D (Avatar, Coraline) and one that was post produced in 3D (Alice in Wonderland, Clash of the Titans), and the idea of people going out in droves on opening night to unknowingly see a lesser experience is kind of depressing.

Moreover, I've never seen any 3D in any format that was more visually impressive/immersive than the native IMAX I saw in both TDK and RotF.

I've been very hopeful that Nolan would return to the native IMAX format for a long time, and I hope whatever WB's mindset is does not affect this.

Native IMAX :up:

I could see him not being crazy about it if it's not what he intends...but again, if it's the process that's done to the film after it's completed (as opposed to filming it that way), it could lessen the 'sting', so to speak, as long as the majority of screenings are in the regular format.

In a way, you can look at it as someone intending to release music in stereo...and then later someone uses Dolby Pro Logic to hear it matrixed into 5.1 surround. It won't really change what the songs are doing, or even really how they sound, but someone may still have an issue with sounds coming from a rear speaker when it wasn't intended to be listened to that way.

I dare say if Nolan is against 3D conversion, there could be quite a stink made of this. As a director he should have some creative control as to what format the film is presented in, if he doesn't intend to create scenes that are intentionally made to 'pop' out what's the point of 3D? If the intent is not to utilize the 3D experience in a way similar to what Avatar did then it becomes a cheap gimmick.
What bothers me is that most people don't know the difference between a film that was shot in 3D (Avatar, Coraline) and one that was post produced in 3D (Alice in Wonderland, Clash of the Titans), and the idea of people going out in droves on opening night to unknowingly see a lesser experience is kind of depressing.

Here in lies the problem, people need to be made aware they are being fed a cheap product, I went into Alice hearing conversations before hand between people thinking it was the same type of 3D as Avatar. I remember some girl bringing the glasses she got from Avatar thinking they would work only to be given the red/green glasses.

Last edited:

Moreover, I've never seen any 3D in any format that was more visually impressive/immersive than the native IMAX I saw in both TDK and RotF.

I've been very hopeful that Nolan would return to the native IMAX format for a long time, and I hope whatever WB's mindset is does not affect this.

Native IMAX :up:
Like with TDK, you're still going to have a lot of the film shot in 35mm and blown up for IMAX...which still isn't terrible. As far as the audience knowing the difference in 3D techniques...the post-processing method is still 3D enough (when done well) that it's certainly not like the old red/blue glasses method or flat planes of picture elements, etc. Some of it works pretty darn well, and can often be easier on the eye-strain than stuff shot/rendered in the more 'true' 3D.

But back to IMAX....if TDK was screened in IMAX (the 'real' IMAX as opposed to the not-so-real ones aside), then it stands to reason that so will Batman 3, but I guess the worry is that it'll only be 3D for all IMAX presentations, without the option of a 2D IMAX viewing. I don't know if all IMAX theaters are equipped for 3D, but if so...yeah, unfortunately, it might be 3D only. But I guess you could just put a piece of tape over one side of the glasses. :hehe:

I dare say if Nolan is against 3D conversion, there could be quite a stink made of this. As a director he should have some creative control as to what format the film is presented in, if he doesn't intend to create scenes that are intentionally made to 'pop' out what's the point of 3D? If the intent is not to utilize the 3D experience in a way similar to what Avatar did then it becomes a cheap gimmick.
Well, as I alluded to before, when the post=-process method is done well, there's still some cool effects it has on stuff that has some depth to it to begin with. For example, the Batpod going through the lobby in TDK, or some of the car-chasing shots that were right on the bumper, or him jumping off the building in Hong Kong, etc. could all look pretty cool with some of the better digital conversion techniques. Granted, it may be more about depth than stuff actually popping out just inches from your nose, but still effective. I guess that maybe it should come down to ticket prices...if you should pay less for the 'lesser method' and so on....although I don't think the pricing comes down to just that.

As for Nolan's say on the matter, yeah it could come down to conflict when it comes to distribution...or it may not if most of the theaters worldwide are still 2D...or if he sees a 3D converted version beforehand and he's okay with it. And to be fair...even the Avatar method was a gimmick as well...but at least that was a clear agenda on Cameron's part from the outset, to progress that technology even if it didn't really add anything creatively to that particular film.

Here in lies the problem, people need to be made aware they are being fed a cheap product, I went into Alice hearing conversations before hand between people thinking it was the same type of 3D as Avatar. I remember some girl bringing the glasses she got from Avatar thinking they would work only to be given the red/green glasses.
That doesn't make much sense because the glasses for Avatar should work since they're based on polarization, which is pretty much the standard way of projecting whether you shoot actual 3D or not. Same as when they were doing 3D movies a decade ago in Disneyland and such. If they actually were using the old red/blue method, then something is really messed up there..especially if the actual movie is in color...or a really cheap-ass way of doing it. That's really odd....and a real rip-off, too, if they're still using that.

Last edited:
Nolan's not shooting this thing in 3D. I think that's pretty much a given. WB can convert it all they like. Complaining's not going to stop them. Nobody is forcing anyone to see it in 3D.

What I'd like to know is if Nolan is shooting the majority of it with IMAX cameras. He did throw out the possibility of shooting an entire film with these cameras...if the technology and size of the cameras progressed.

I'd love to see at least an hour of the film be shot with IMAX cameras. To me, that's the future of theatrical cinema...not 3D.

Nolan's not shooting this thing in 3D. I think that's pretty much a given. WB can convert it all they like. Complaining's not going to stop them. Nobody is forcing anyone to see it in 3D.

What I'd like to know is if Nolan is shooting the majority of it with IMAX cameras. He did throw out the possibility of shooting an entire film with these cameras...if the technology and size of the cameras progressed.

I'd love to see at least an hour of the film be shot with IMAX cameras. To me, that's the future of theatrical cinema...not 3D.
It's still going to be really tough to do all of it in IMAX because of just the size of the film itself...only 3 minutes per 1000ft roll (as opposed to around 11 minutes for 1000ft of 35mm) screaming through those gears and gates at 24 frames per second makes it hard to get something small, quiet, and (most importantly) affordable enough to use practically for most of the 'normal' but important stuff you'd have to film...like interior dialogue.

I think that it'll have to come from digital, in that capture/processing/data transfer technology will have to get to high enough resolutions for true motion-picture stuff. Even the RED, at 4K, only really approximates super-35mm in terms of comparable 'resolution'. They're coming out with new models that can supposedly go up to 28k...but it's still on the horizon. As it stands...shooting a feature all IMAX is kinda' like taking a Private jet twelve blocks to and from work every day, and having to fill up each way.

Oh, I know. I just figured, since the Dark Knight came out in 2008, you'd think the people at IMAX would work around the clock to figure out a way to make it smaller and a much more manageable format. I mean, we've still got another 2 years before this sequel hits. Maybe, just maybe.

As for the RED, love that damn camera. The more footage I see of that thing, the more I wish filmmakers would shoot more with it.

First of all, you people should be aware that you can still see movies in theater in regular theaters, and nobody is putting a gun on your head to see 3-D. Second, if well-done, 3-D can be quite an interesting and different cinematic experience and it´s the big thing now, it´s only natural studios are going for it after the success of Avatar and others.

Oh, I know. I just figured, since the Dark Knight came out in 2008, you'd think the people at IMAX would work around the clock to figure out a way to make it smaller and a much more manageable format. I mean, we've still got another 2 years before this sequel hits. Maybe, just maybe.
It might...it's just the physical size of that film. Those 1000-foot rolls are as wide in diameter (10-12 inches) as the 35mm ones, but 3-times as thick...and that's only 3-minutes at a time. Imagine what a 11-minute roll would look like? Imax gets its image quality from the size of that frame, so it's not like you can shrink it down. So that time-limit on the rolls is the real killer....especially if you're doing some of the meaty acting scenes that need a lot of takes and coverage. And what if the scene/dialogue is longer than three minutes? You can't even make it through one whole take...or every time there's a flub or a 'sorry, can we start over...?', you have to change out the roll. That could seriously affect your whole shooting workflow. Not to mention how much more the film stock/processing costs than 35mm.

And to make film cameras 'soundworthy', they usually have to build up the housings and magazines to be sound-insulated, adding even more bulk to the whole shebang. That huge piece of film, still running at 24 big-ass frames per second, is moving really fast through gates and gears...which is why these cameras sound like small lawnmowers or chainsaws when they run. That makes recording sound..and even the actors concentrating on their lines...a lot more difficult as well.

So again, it's a really tough prospect to make it more 'manageable' when you're talking about some real physical characteristics of the actual format that you can't change. But then....back in the old days they did do films in Technicolor, which had monstrous cameras on cranes/booms that ran three strips of 35mm negative simultaneously (although you still got 11 minutes per roll)....so you never know...maybe they'll work something out.

As for the RED, love that damn camera. The more footage I see of that thing, the more I wish filmmakers would shoot more with it.
I've worked on three films with the RED, and will be starting on a fourth in May. It's got its own set of issues that you have to be careful with, as it's definitely not one of those pro-sumer HDV or DVCProHD camcorder-type things. But I worked in actual film for a long time, so the workflow isn't really that different...it's just all digital. And it really comes down to how you do your color-correction to get whatever look you're going for....and your lenses, of course.

Last edited:
KalMart,

Good info. Personally, I'm just glad that there's a viable digital camera that can match the theatrical experience. HD and film will coexist for a long time to come. But, I find myself liking the look of the RED.

But, as you said, it comes to down to color correction and what the director really wants.

I wonder if people had the same trouble when movies with colour and sound came about.
"Coloured movies are such a gimmick. It's a fad, it will pass."
"Yeah man, totally. And who wants sound anyway? I'm sure our favourite director will keep on making mute movies."

First of all, you people should be aware that you can still see movies in theater in regular theaters, and nobody is putting a gun on your head to see 3-D. Second, if well-done, 3-D can be quite an interesting and different cinematic experience and it´s the big thing now, it´s only natural studios are going for it after the success of Avatar and others.
Good post!

I have read of local cinemas only showing 3D versions of movies, and some folk with vision problems not being able to go see them because of that.
That's pretty bad, if it happens now in some places, it could end up happening everywhere due to the larger ticket prices for 3D. 2D showings becoming as rare as subtitled showings for the blind.

I don't know how to change the font colours, otherwise i would have brought this post to the masses in 3D.

Why didnt anyone complain about IMAX? They spent a lot of time and money setting up those cameras and figuring out how to work with them and yet no one *****ed about it.

Lol, and they even broke one of those cameras in the process.

Ditto. It's not like there won't be a 2D version, too.

Most likely there won't be a 2D Imax version. So if I want to see it in Imax, I'm forced to see it in 3D which I don't care for.

Edit: And shouldn't it be up to the director whether or not he wants the film to be done or released in 3D? The studio is forcing it down these directors throats, geez.

Last edited:
I swear, WB better not start looking over Nolan's shoulder and tell him that he needs to put in a scene like this or like that because it would look so "cool" in 3D. The only thing that could prevent us from getting a stellar superhero trilogy, and keeping the curse of the weak 3rd superhero movie alive, is studio interference! Stay the hell out of Nolan's way WB!!! :cmad::cmad::cmad:

And yea, I know what you are thinking, it's Nolan, WB would never do that. Well, I NEVER trust movie studios!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"