Discussion: Congress, The Senate, The House of Representatives - Part I

Even if Dems kill the filibuster, can't the GOP just bring it back when it suits them? For example if they win in 2022, take advantage of the lack of filibuster until 2024 and if they lose to Dems in 2024 bring back the filibuster before January 20, 2025.

Side note, while Dems are getting rid of the filibuster they need to work on getting rid of gerrymandering.

The party in power can do whatever they want if they bring their caucus in line.

Even if Dems kill the filibuster, can't the GOP just bring it back when it suits them? For example if they win in 2022, take advantage of the lack of filibuster until 2024 and if they lose to Dems in 2024 bring back the filibuster before January 20, 2025.

When the Democratic Senate does abolish the filibuster, it will be much harder for the GOP to reclaim it easily if D.C and Puerto Rico are granted statehood (2 Senators for each). Even more so with the voting rights act eliminating gerrymandering in all states, which means less GOP Reps in red states.

And when they do recapture the majority, the GOP is going to face major backlash (and a lack of votes) when they try to reverse popular laws introduced and signed by Democrats. They tried mightily to get rid of the ACA but failed -- and part of the 2018 midterm gains was because it painted Trump and Rs as trying to get rid of your healthcare.

If all the major Dem goals are made law, Rs will have to win future elections by virtue of ideas and not suppressing voter turnout.

The hope is the GOP never gets enough votes even from their own party to reinstate the filibuster. Even if somehow they had a 60/40 advantage, I doubt they would get the required votes.

But that was far too narrow a loss for them.

'Nobody sells cars in D.C., it can't be a state.'

Honestly, what is wrong with the GOP's people? Do they all eat lead paint chips as communion wafers when they worship their orange god? Why are they so damn stupid?

They could have spread the spending out over the last 10 years but we're behind and in a hole thanks to them blocking what is necessary for a country of 330 million people. When you're lagging behind thanks to dysfunction, larger numbers are necessary to get you back to where you should have been all along.

Between that and the "they don't even have a car dealership!" their arguments on this are just embarrassing.

The far left may have given up on the minimum wage since they act like every bill is the last bill that will ever be passed, but I haven't.

Between that and the "they don't even have a car dealership!" their arguments on this are just embarrassing.

Dear Republicans, you don't need to vote for a senator or a house member. Just put up a whole lot of yard signs and post them on the FB page of those who represent you. Job well done.

Here's the truth. There are 2 reasons I want DC as a state. The first is that I don't want republicans in power. They don't represent me. The second is that anyone who pays taxes deserves real representation. That's what the whole "no taxation without representation" is about. These "freedom loving patriots" need only to read up on the history of the United States to find it was a key concept behind independence. Now they support taxation and no representation because it suits their political ends. One has to ask oneself.....are they more representative of the founding fathers or those they opposed?

These reps don't want DC as a state because it loosens their hold on power. It has nothing....nothing to do with what is right or fair. Take a look at the demographics of the 3 territories that are most likely to become states (DC, PR, VI) and it tells you everything you need to know about the GOP.

I'm thinking that Biden and Dems are going to nuke the filibuster on a gun rights bill. The issue is serious enough that I think even Manchin and Sinema would vote for it -- and Mitch didn't even acknowledge the Boulder mass shooting in his Senate floor speech today.

Republicans are going to look the other way, as always, on gun violence because of the lobbyists and continue with the lie that "Biden's gonna take away your guns!" Unless ten Rs decide keeping the filibuster is in their best interest and decide to play ball.

I'm thinking that Biden and Dems are going to nuke the filibuster on a gun rights bill. The issue is serious enough that I think even Manchin and Sinema would vote for it -- and Mitch didn't even acknowledge the Boulder mass shooting in his Senate floor speech today.

Republicans are going to look the other way, as always, on gun violence because of the lobbyists and continue with the lie that "Biden's gonna take away your guns!" Unless ten Rs decide keeping the filibuster is in their best interest and decide to play ball.
If this is true, they better act fast because the American public doesn't have a very long memory. I'd personally go with voting rights.

I am going to laugh when the GOP threatens to split Texas up into 3 states in response. And then watch as it bacfires.

I am going to laugh when the GOP threatens to split Texas up into 3 states in response. And then watch as it bacfires.
Gerrymandering states. LOL.

Anytime a state already has jurisdiction, the process is much more complicated. That's why DC, PR, and VI have a relatively easy path to statehood.

It sucks that this is where we're at in this discussion, but if we can index the minimum wage to a fairly aggressive cost of living adjustment in perpetuity, I'll take it if we can get it. It would take something in the range of 10% annual increases over the next 3 years to get us in the range of 15/hr. If you did it for 4 years it would be about 16/hr, but, remember, that's 4 years down the line.

Its no good if in 2023 or 2025 the GOP can end cost of living adjustments or halt the increase to $15.

I'm seeing a lot of progress from Biden and the Dems, but I need them to ensure there won't be a snap back after the very next election. This country too often builds its progress like a house on sand relying on the GOP to continue reinforcing the foundations. Instead the GOP comes and begins digging away at the sand so that they can campaign about the damage. The Dems need to be carving our progress into stone bedrock that cant be moved or broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"