Discussion: Congress, The Senate, The House of Representatives - Part I

Index an adjustment to the minimum wage going forward and make the Republican or whatever party rescind the increase.

I don’t think they would have the votes to do that, even without a Senate filibuster. The backlash on swing state House Rs would be massive.

I know it's an unpopular opinion with some but $15 an hour over night would be a mistake. That is double what some people are getting paid now (which should be a crime) and it would be a windfall for them but their employers would cut costs by cutting jobs (which they will definitely do, cheap bastards). I do think an immediate bump to $10 followed by steadily increasing the minimum wage would work. It shouldn't stop at $15 either in 2024 either and keep increasing.

The wage increase can't be alone though. That has to be a part of a bigger social reform that gives people a chance to actually live debt free and out of poverty. Something that the Republicans and rich are wholly against. This is a good start but it should not end here.

I don’t think they would have the votes to do that, even without a Senate filibuster. The backlash on swing state House Rs would be massive.

That's the point. :cwink:

I know it's an unpopular opinion with some but $15 an hour over night would be a mistake. That is double what some people are getting paid now (which should be a crime) and it would be a windfall for them but their employers would cut costs by cutting jobs (which they will definitely do, cheap bastards). I do think an immediate bump to $10 followed by steadily increasing the minimum wage would work. It shouldn't stop at $15 either in 2024 either and keep increasing.

The wage increase can't be alone though. That has to be a part of a bigger social reform that gives people a chance to actually live debt free and out of poverty. Something that the Republicans and rich are wholly against. This is a good start but it should not end here.

If Manchin is okay with an immediate $11/hr, then so am I as long as it's followed with consistent, long term cost of living adjustments to this floor. I don't think an immediate $15/hr would have that much of an effect and if a burger costs a little more, so be it. It's literally a small price to pay for a living wage. Also, the minimum needs to be adjusted depending on where you live.

Agree about everything else.

Manchin would be the one to do that.

As long as the Trumpist Q Party doesn’t want to advance anything positive for the country by working with the majority, there’s no where to go but severely nerfing if not ending the filibuster.

The Senate majority hangs by a thread. Better hope nobody dies any time soon.

Why do Republicans suddenly want "bipartisanship" when they refuse to be bipartisan about anything? **** the filibuster.

Last edited:
I "think" reconciliation has to be related to budget issues. I wish the repubs would filibuster it and then have the Dems deep six the cloture rule. I think voting rights is the right bill to use to abolish it.

I think it's been fairly well covered before that it HAS to be budget related. So this gives the Dems perfect chance to push through with tax raises for the super rich with the next one AND minimum wage later on. Basically everything people want.

I think it's been fairly well covered before that it HAS to be budget related. So this gives the Dems perfect chance to push through with tax raises for the super rich with the next one AND minimum wage later on. Basically everything people want.

VR1 is crucial. It needs to be addressed immediately after the infrastructure plan is passed and signed into law.

VR1 is crucial. It needs to be addressed immediately after the infrastructure plan is passed and signed into law.

If they can't include it in a reconciliation process bill, I'm not sure how it can.

They’re going to nuke the filibuster this year for certain. That will be the tipping point: the voting rights bill.

Or DC statehood.

Voting rights is the key to everything. Tip that domino of progress,, and more will fall. I would put it ahead everything besides covid relief. Id definitely put it ahead of minimum wage. Increasing mimimum wage won't stop fascism, and it won't hinder Q.

I don't care that much about minimum wage, only in the sense that bumping it up would possibly in turn bump up my wage above it. I do care about voting turnout because it benefits Democrats and hinders Fascism and QAnon. Historically, the crazies always get into power in times of low voter turnout, because it's the fringe radicals who are most motivated to show up.

Voting rights is the key to everything. Tip that domino of progress,, and more will fall. I would put it ahead everything besides covid relief. Id definitely put it ahead of minimum wage. Increasing mimimum wage won't stop fascism, and it won't hinder Q.

But you'd need 60 votes to pass it so I'm not sure how it's possible... All the budget things they can pass with the reconciliation process.

But not voting rights

But not voting rights

No, because that doesn't fall into "budget" territory. The senate parliamentarian would throw any bills out. The relief bill had to take out minimum wage to qualify as budget. Actually that makes me wonder if they can include that in the remaining two bills either.

No, because that doesn't fall into "budget" territory. The senate parliamentarian would throw any bills out. The relief bill had to take out minimum wage to qualify as budget. Actually that makes me wonder if they can include that in the remaining two bills either.

Yeah. That was my point. Minimum wage confuses me because it would clearly generate tax revenue.

CNBC - Rep. Alcee Hastings dies, narrowing Democratic House majority to just 7
  • Democrats now hold a narrow margin in the House with a 218-211 split, while six vacant seats remain.

Democrats down to a 50.1% majority of total House seats (435). Republicans have 48.5% of seats and 1.4% are vacant.

The Senate's Democratic majority is held by a one vote (that being Vice President Harris) majority.

Well be lucky if we even hold the majority until the next midterm election. :dry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"