Discussion: Congress, The Senate, The House of Representatives - Part I

And its possible that the 51st state could aquire some land from Maryland or Virginia when all is said and done. Theres nothing that says DC's borders have to remain exactly the same as they are now.

No, but it dramatically increases the complexity of the process if you are going to change borders. Frankly, it wouldn't happen and doesn't NEED to happen. DC is densely populated, has more people than a couple of states, has close to the population of some others, and pays more in taxes than almost 1/2 the states. Talk of Maryland and so forth is just a smokescreen for republican control of the senate.

Talk of Maryland and so forth is just a smokescreen for republican control of the senate.

All this talk about "why can't D.C. residents move to Virginia or Maryland" is exactly that. Republican Senators squealing about "packing the Senate" is rich since they're ok with ruby red states with states less populous than D.C. having two Senators and a Representative.

The Senate passed the Anti-Asian Hate Crime bill by 94-1. 5 weren't present. Hawley voted no.

There were only 13 states at the beginning. If we're going back to the founders the other 37 states have to go bye byes under that 'logic'. But they also provided the constitutional process to turn any land into a state in the future. So aha! This was already accounted for.

I'm still in favor of tripling the size of the House.

Reminder, Biden having undocumented immigrants counted let Texas gain its second seat.

Reminder, Biden having undocumented immigrants counted let Texas gain its second seat.

For the purposes of representation, that doesn't make a lot of sense. For the purposes of funding, it does. I guess that's the way it goes.

Does she mean the doctors wouldn't give her pain medication? And how does transphobia factor in?
The right were obsessing over her use of gender-inclusive language such as using nongender specific pronouns.

That's funny (odd). I was just looking at the Repub Party thread and was thinking that this might be used to convince Manchin/Sinema (though there are others) that "some" sort of change to the cloture (filibuster) rule should be made. After all, their own re-elections could ride on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"