Discussion: LGBTQ+ Rights XVI - Part 6

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thread Manager, Jul 15, 2016.

1. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

With few exceptions, I run in decidedly leftist circles in the US. I know a few people who actually supported Trump, but it was because they put an inordinate amount of interest in the economy and have bought into the idea that Trump's policies are good for their personal economy (and in some cases it's true). None of them, however, like his domestic policies. They also feel that any money allocated will be wasted and that regular people will not get much benefit of money allocated to public projects (which, again, might be true).

As for the vast majority who think Trump is a narcissistic A whole who cares nothing about them, I can't think of one who I would consider a crazy. Perhaps my own bias, but these are all forward thinking, reasonable people.

In your country, does it seem like both sides have about the same number of nuts on each side or do you think it's weighted to one side?

2. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

In the UK the both major political parties have been far more centrist for the past 30 years so there has been traditionally less political division than in America. The Conservatives have been moving ever more right wing pushing some nationalist identity politics and increasingly aggressive/paranoid about immigration/asylum seekers.

Conservatives in the UK like the U.S were traditionally the small government, less taxes, pro private business party in the UK but unlike the U.S the religious right isn't a political force in the UK. Abortion isn't a hot button issue that is part of any political agenda and gay marriage was made legal under with their administration with little objections. Climate change is widely accepted as being real by UK conservatives. They are seen by many as being self interested and uncaring about the marginalized by many people.

The Labour Party have been centre left in the UK since they were reformed as New Labour. They are big on some social democratic policies and pro big business but aren't really that liberal. Other smaller parties such as the Liberal Democrats, Greens and SNP in Scotland are more to the left of Labour. Labour flirted with more left wing policies under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn but went back to centre politics under current leader and Corbyn's successor Keir Starmer.

I think we have nuts people at both extreme ends of the political spectrum but I think there are slightly more crazy folks oh the right side of the politics. I dislike the self centred nationalist and populist politics sweeping the globe over the last decade. Personally I see it as destructive, dangerous and short sighted.

3. JennySparx Registered

If right wingers actually gave a **** about sexual assault victims they probably wouldn't have voted for a rapist who was best friends with the head of a pedophile ring in the last two elections

InCali and DarthSkywalker like this.
  4. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

5. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Snow Queen likes this.
  6. Sithborg Registered

7. JennySparx Registered

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  8. Snow Queen 4AF (she/her)

9. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

So who are the "Flat earthers" here? Pro-trans activists or transphobic ones?

10. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

BBC is just like "LOL, journalism is dead, we don't report the truth, we just non-critically broadcast whatever random idiots on the street are thinking in proportion to how many random idiots happen to be thinking it at the time"

11. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

When asked the same question on racism they'd be like, "that's different". It's so ****ing infuriating. This is the state funded broadcast company over there. Compare this to how they handle COVID conspiracy.

Snow Queen likes this.
  12. JennySparx Registered

I'm against Florida Republicans having any say about a childs education in any way shape or form just in general

Because I don't think a schools policies should be decided by someone who'll probably be having to go door to door in their neighborhood explaining to people why they can't go within five hundred yards of said school in a couple of years time at most

13. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

14. Teelie Jokerface

"If we don't acknowledge they exist then they don't exist" is Florida logic.

15. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

I unfortunately see an increase in suicide rates if this bill passes.

16. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

It's statistically inevitable. The numbers show a clear decrease in suicide attempts with LGBT youth have a safe space at school to learn and discuss about sexuality and gender. But the "Pro-Life" party will be practically giddy with spiking rates because they'll call it "proof" that we're all "mentally ill."

The really ****** scary thing is them trying to compel teachers to out students to their parents. It's just evil, plain and simple. The desperate final lashings of a hateful, bigoted generation trying to force their views onto children who want nothing to do with them. They're dying out, but they're more than content to drag the whole nation down with them. And they don't care how many innocent people get hurt in the process.

Teelie, Lily Adler and Snow Queen like this.
  17. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

18. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

19. Teelie Jokerface

"That kid does not conform. They must be reported."

20. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

@InCali read this twitter thread. Transphobia is everywhere. But there is a reason the community and their supporters call Great Britain TERF island. The government and media support TERF ideology. Spread it. Not in the dumb Anderson Cooper might not know exactly what he's talking about but he's trying way. In a purely malicious manner. I've seen a lot of transphobia over here. But you also see a lot of it down political lines. In Britain, there is no divide on it.

#2596 DarthSkywalker, Jan 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    Snow Queen likes this.
  21. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I read it and, while I don't deny that there may be a higher percentage of bigots amongst some groups in some geographical areas, etc., I don't like statements that include "all" people of a certain group. I know, and you've said explicitly, that of course not "all" people in a certain age and ethnic group are phobic or bigoted, but some of your statements do say that. I just think language is important and it can further stereotypes; never a good thing IMO. As a later boomer, I hear that kind of talk about boomers all the time and as someone who has spent more years than I care to remember in the trenches fighting for social and economic justice, I resent the language itself; although I realize the thoughts behind it might not represent the stated words.

Fair enough?

22. Sithborg Registered

Canadian conservatives, the same ******* bigots as down south...

DarthSkywalker and Snow Queen like this.
  23. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

24. JennySparx Registered

I hope that decent teachers proudly refuse to follow this law and break the "Don't say gay" law in Florida repeatedly