Discussion: LGBTQ+ Rights XVI - Part 6

I'm against Florida Republicans having any say about a childs education in any way shape or form just in general

Because I don't think a schools policies should be decided by someone who'll probably be having to go door to door in their neighborhood explaining to people why they can't go within five hundred yards of said school in a couple of years time at most

"If we don't acknowledge they exist then they don't exist" is Florida logic.

"If we don't acknowledge they exist then they don't exist" is Florida logic.
I unfortunately see an increase in suicide rates if this bill passes.

I unfortunately see an increase in suicide rates if this bill passes.
It's statistically inevitable. The numbers show a clear decrease in suicide attempts with LGBT youth have a safe space at school to learn and discuss about sexuality and gender. But the "Pro-Life" party will be practically giddy with spiking rates because they'll call it "proof" that we're all "mentally ill."

The really ****** scary thing is them trying to compel teachers to out students to their parents. It's just evil, plain and simple. The desperate final lashings of a hateful, bigoted generation trying to force their views onto children who want nothing to do with them. They're dying out, but they're more than content to drag the whole nation down with them. And they don't care how many innocent people get hurt in the process.

@InCali read this twitter thread. Transphobia is everywhere. But there is a reason the community and their supporters call Great Britain TERF island. The government and media support TERF ideology. Spread it. Not in the dumb Anderson Cooper might not know exactly what he's talking about but he's trying way. In a purely malicious manner. I've seen a lot of transphobia over here. But you also see a lot of it down political lines. In Britain, there is no divide on it.

Last edited:
@InCali read this twitter thread. Transphobia is everywhere. But there is a reason the community and their supporters call Great Britain TERF island. The government and media support TERF ideology. Spread it. Not in the dumb Anderson Cooper might not know exactly what he's talking about but he's trying way. In a purely malicious manner. I've seen a lot of transphobia over here. But you also see a lot of it down political lines. In Britain, there is no divide on it.
I read it and, while I don't deny that there may be a higher percentage of bigots amongst some groups in some geographical areas, etc., I don't like statements that include "all" people of a certain group. I know, and you've said explicitly, that of course not "all" people in a certain age and ethnic group are phobic or bigoted, but some of your statements do say that. I just think language is important and it can further stereotypes; never a good thing IMO. As a later boomer, I hear that kind of talk about boomers all the time and as someone who has spent more years than I care to remember in the trenches fighting for social and economic justice, I resent the language itself; although I realize the thoughts behind it might not represent the stated words.

Fair enough?

This is got to be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard. Both of our children at a very young age were introduced to our friends, many of them are gay and were encouraged to be who they are. We had discussions about race, gender, and sexual orientation when they were in early grade school. While they have their issues, both are socially very well-adjusted and have both gay friends, in fact my daughters very best friend is gay, and have a circle of friends that is multi ethnic.I’m very proud of both of them.

I read it and, while I don't deny that there may be a higher percentage of bigots amongst some groups in some geographical areas, etc., I don't like statements that include "all" people of a certain group. I know, and you've said explicitly, that of course not "all" people in a certain age and ethnic group are phobic or bigoted, but some of your statements do say that. I just think language is important and it can further stereotypes; never a good thing IMO. As a later boomer, I hear that kind of talk about boomers all the time and as someone who has spent more years than I care to remember in the trenches fighting for social and economic justice, I resent the language itself; although I realize the thoughts behind it might not represent the stated words.

Fair enough?
Language is important. Which is the issue with carving out these caveats that ignore the issue and give safe haven to bigots. If you fill up an auditorium in Britain with 1000 over 40s cis British men and women, and 50 of them would be considered "not transphobic" by someone with an understanding of transphobia, would this fundamentally change the struggle for trans folk in Britain? It's so bad in Britain, the Council of Europe put it in writing.

Your concern is for those who aren't struggling and imo, gives cover to those who argue they aren't bigots, but are concerned for "women's sports", "women's rights", etc., while trying to rip rights from women, men and NB folk, including children. Just because every Confederate solider didn't own a slave or considered themselves racist, didn't change the struggle. Those who are allies, don't see the phrase "all older white folk" and think they are being attacked. They understand the struggle.

Language is important. Which is the issue with carving out these caveats that ignore the issue and give safe haven to bigots. If you fill up an auditorium in Britain with 1000 over 40s cis British men and women, and 50 of them would be considered "not transphobic" by someone with an understanding of transphobia, would this fundamentally change the struggle for trans folk in Britain? It's so bad in Britain, the Council of Europe put it in writing.

Your concern is for those who aren't struggling and imo, gives cover to those who argue they aren't bigots, but are concerned for "women's sports", "women's rights", etc., while trying to rip rights from women, men and NB folk, including children. Just because every Confederate solider didn't own a slave or considered themselves racist, didn't change the struggle. Those who are allies, don't see the phrase "all older white folk" and think they are being attacked. They understand the struggle.

Then think about working on your language. My concern, in this particular discussion, is to avoid stereotypes and I don't need anyone telling me who my concern is for; especially when it is 180 degrees off. Telling people how they feel or what they think is called "covert abuse". IMO, language shouldn't lump everyone of a particular group into a particular mindset. I know it's hard to do, but, hey, language is important.

It's important to not have people and their sycophants pat each other on the back, but, rather, think about the effect of their own words and have honest discussions about the mistakes we all make.

EDIT: I reread your post a few times, took some time to think about it, and believe you make some valid points WRT those people who transfer their fake concerns while denying people rights. That being said, I don't see how in the world it hurts anyone to be more accurate in their statements. I said specifically that the language is sometimes a bit annoying, but that I recognized the intent behind it and will probably never understand how it would hurt to slightly qualify a statement that is factually incorrect. This can be a very difficult medium for people to express their thoughts accurately and I generally just overlook it because of that. In this case, you brought me into the conversation and all I'm really saying is that I think people should be more precise in their statements. It's one of my personal "things" because I think it can cause misunderstandings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"