Discussion: Racism - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were 15 when brought here, they were not babies, but still 'are called dreamers'..

And when we had a MASS of kids crossing the border during obama's last 3 years in, all so they COULD count under the DACA/dreamer program, that to me sounds wonkey..

I really question the intelligence of someone that seems offended by the very idea of Dreamers being in the military.

That's the world we live in now it's a shame that you can't even ask for help these days.

I read that story and it's sad but I'm going to be honest I would be suspicious as well. Dude singles my house out and ask for directions. I wouldn't shoot but I'd have questions of my own.

Sort of depends where, and the behavior of the person knocking, a million different human-interaction things we don't get from a news story. It's probably unjustified though.

But yeah, certain parts of certain cities with severe crime rates, you probably wouldn't indulge some random dude approaching your house for directions. Not sure if this was at night or not, but that's probably a factor too.

Sort of depends where, and the behavior of the person knocking, a million different human-interaction things we don't get from a news story. It's probably unjustified though.

But yeah, certain parts of certain cities with severe crime rates, you probably wouldn't indulge some random dude approaching your house for directions. Not sure if this was at night or not, but that's probably a factor too.

It was morning because he missed his school bus. I would think he's casing my house to be robbed honestly. If I didn't answer the door, would he break in? Dude definitely overreacted but not going to lie, if a guy came to my door and said he missed his bus and didn't know where his school was, the same one he went to for years........yeah, I would be suspicious.

Skepticism of his intentions definitely seems warranted. Not sure how the gun came into it though, unless the guy was all aggressive & threatening or drugged out of his mind in addition to those (which sounds like he wasn't), no reasonable reason to pull a gun on him let alone fire.

The story and the headline paint two very different situations and sounds like click bait to be honest or a quick overreaction to it must be racist any time a black person and a white person have a negative encounter.

The kid misses the bus, knocks on the door. The woman answers and quickly becomes hysterical over someone knocking on her door, yelling "why are you trying to break into my house", wihch prompts the man to come down with a gun, logically thinking that someone is trying to break into the house. Home invasions are a thing and they aren't usually subtle about it. They are in their 60's so I'm going to guess they have a good heaping of general paranoia over it on top of that.

Whether shooting at the kid is justified or not is where it comes into play. The kid says he was running away when the man fired the gun. Did he fire it at the kid or just in the air or somewhere it would not have hit him? If the kid was running away then there was absolutely no reason to fire the gun at all. The fact he was black likely had some part to do with it though the thought of home invasion in this guy's mind was probably higher up.

In 2018 if there's a negative encounter between a white and non-white party it absolutely must be because of racism.

not going to lie, if a guy came to my door and said he missed his bus and didn't know where his school was, the same one he went to for years........yeah, I would be suspicious.

That would've been me. I got lost the first time I tried to drive to my grandmother's house. She's only lived in the same place my entire life and it's just about 10 miles away. Still got lost. Some of us have an epicly poor sense of direction.

Understandable for the old couple to be paranoid and completely understandable for the kid not to know how to get to his school to be honest. If you're not used to driving/if you take public transport you don't tend to pay attention to streets or the way to a place because you probably don't need to, the driver takes care of everything and missing a bus is probably uncommon.

I get people are cautious but it sounds like a over reaction to me.

A teenager knocking on a suburban door for directions doesn't seem to warrant a reach for the shot gun reaction.

Some folks are damn paranoid.

I would expect a teenager in 2018 to just look up directions on their phone or get a uber or taxi or something. I guess the kid didn't have any cash or internet access.
In 2018 if there's a negative encounter between a white and non-white party it absolutely must be because of racism.

I wouldn't rule out a racial element.

Would the old couple reacted the same way if it was a white teenager girl or middle aged Asian man in a suit knocking on their door asking for directions? I some how doubt it.

I get people are cautious but it sounds like a over reaction to me.

A teenager knocking on a suburban door for directions doesn't seem to warrant a reach for the shot gun reaction.

Some folks are damn paranoid.

I would expect a teenager in 2018 to just look up directions on their phone or get a uber or taxi or something. I guess the kid didn't have any cash or internet access.

I wouldn't rule out a racial element.

Would the old couple reacted the same way if it was a white teenager girl or middle aged Asian man in a suit knocking on their door asking for directions? I some how doubt it.

Sure, and I feel like that's the correct way to phrase it, and then it could be contextual rather than the old man "is a racist". The word racist has lost all its power to refer to actual racism because it just gets applied to everything now. White guy is rude to a black customer? He's automatically a racist, whether the customer's race was a relevant variable in how he treated them or not the knee jerk response is just that he's got holes in his sheets and kerosene drums in his basement.

Is the kid being black a factor? Probably. Would either of the old folks reacted with abject panic if he walked up to them in a mall and asked them something? Probably less likely.

But captioning the link with "Racist shoots at 14 year old" is so moronic it's no wonder social discourse is deteriorating like it is.

Lol at the obvious truth being labeled "moronic". Or at trying to compare rudeness to a customer to being shot at for asking for directions.

Yes. It says in the story he didn't have his phone. His mother had taken it from him.

So you're psychic? You know for a fact the old man shot at the kid because he was black? You know for a fact the old man saw who it was that was knocking? Man it must be amazing to be so omniscient about other people's intentions and beliefs.

Cops arrest 2 men for "trespassing". They were waiting for a friend to show up at a Philly area Starbucks, but a racist barista called the cops on them. And yes, of course they were black. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...black-men-arrests_us_5ad22073e4b077c89ce91c74

According to the article, allegedly, the 2 men asked to use the restroom of which they were told it was for paying customers only, they sat down to wait on a friend, didn't order anything, were asked to leave because of this & refused.

I don't understand how the Starbucks manager/barista is automatically a racist as it sounds to me like he/she was well within their rights to call the Police if they were refusing to order & refusing to leave the premises.

It's not like it's ever been OK to go into somewhere like that, sit at a table with a few people to wait on someone or have a talk without at least someone buying something.

It's not like it's ever been OK to go into somewhere like that, sit at a table with a few people to wait on someone or have a talk without at least someone buying something.

If it's never ok to do it why do some people...including people that were there during the incident...say that they do it all the time?

If it's never ok to do it why do some people...including people that were there during the incident...say that they do it all the time?

They're full of ****, you can't go into places like that, take up a chair & table & expect to be allowed to stay. I guarantee you anytime, particularly that white guy in the video, goes to wait on someone he buys a coffee, cookie, biscuit or something.

They're full of ****, you can't go into places like that, take up a chair & table & expect to be allowed to stay. I guarantee you anytime, particularly that white guy in the video, goes to wait on someone he buys a coffee, cookie, biscuit or something.

Not true. Starbucks it happens all the time. People go in and sit down and use the wifi without ordering anything. I get what you are saying about what the manager asking them to leave but it's a huge bit of hypocrisy to ask them to leave when there were other people there as well that didn't order anything either. Plus, the CEO of the company wouldn't apologize if there wasn't some merit to the story.

So you're psychic? You know for a fact the old man shot at the kid because he was black? You know for a fact the old man saw who it was that was knocking? Man it must be amazing to be so omniscient about other people's intentions and beliefs.

If you had actually read the article, you would have known there was a security video from the house that confirms that.

Not true. Starbucks it happens all the time. People go in and sit down and use the wifi without ordering anything. I get what you are saying about what the manager asking them to leave but it's a huge bit of hypocrisy to ask them to leave when there were other people there as well that didn't order anything either. Plus, the CEO of the company wouldn't apologize if there wasn't some merit to the story.

I don't know if that's the case, but I do know I wouldn't expect to last long going into a Starbucks (or anywhere similar) bypassing the counter, taking a seat & proceed to use the WIFI facilities in full view of the staff without being told that I'd need to order something to stay.

All the CEO aplogised for was that it led to an arrest, not that they were asked to leave or that the police were called. We all know the only reason that it was released was because it has been spun up by the media as being racially motivated from the staff.

I don't know if that's the case, but I do know I wouldn't expect to last long going into a Starbucks (or anywhere similar) bypassing the counter, taking a seat & proceed to use the WIFI facilities in full view of the staff without being told that I'd need to order something to stay.

All the CEO aplogised for was that it led to an arrest, not that they were asked to leave or that the police were called. We all know the only reason that it was released was because it has been spun up by the media as being racially motivated from the staff.

What!? Have you been to a Starbucks? They do it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"