Discussion: UK Politics

He’s been a disaster. He was harmless and reasonably popular as London Mayor but that should have been the end of it. Opportunistic clowns should have a low ceiling when it comes to important positions.

So after years of saying we should ditch foreign aid to look after our own and how we're a Christian country, our beloved Tory MPs voted against helping to feed vulnerable children......

A little off-topic from the pandemic but I'd be very interested to know other hypesters view on this.

What is your feeling on Scottish Independence and breaking up the United Kingdom? Would any English people on this forum rather have an independent England than Britain being a united entity?

A little off-topic from the pandemic but I'd be very interested to know other hypesters view on this.

What is your feeling on Scottish Independence and breaking up the United Kingdom? Would any English people on this forum rather have an independent England than Britain being a united entity?

I wouldn't want to break up the Union but I can't begrudge the Scots for wanting independence, I envy them! I would say we seem to be in the midst of the rise of the little Englander and I think if there was a time to go for it with the least amount of pushback, it's now.

I do not blame anyone at all for wanting to jump ship.

[daydreams about my state being taken in by Canada...]

I think Scottish Independence doesn't make sense, just because it is considered a "nation" in it's own right doesn't mean it should be seperate. Bavaria in Germany, Brittany in France, Quebec in Canada etc all have district cultural/ethnic identities from the country they are part of but are not separate so "a country within a country" is not a uniquely British situation.

Plus a small island like Great Britain being split into 3 separate countries is unnecessarily complicated. You only need to look at the Irish border complications with trade to see how messy it could get.

I think Scottish Independence doesn't make sense, just because it is considered a "nation" in it's own right doesn't mean it should be seperate. Bavaria in Germany, Brittany in France, Quebec in Canada etc all have district cultural/ethnic identities from the country they are part of but are not separate so "a country within a country" is not a uniquely British situation.

Plus a small island like Great Britain being split into 3 separate countries is unnecessarily complicated. You only need to look at the Irish border complications with trade to see how messy it could get.

It makes sense in the sense of they are in a marriage with abusive *******s.

And the Irish border issues are more to do with the Good Friday Agreement than with geography.

I would much prefer the countries to remain united (I go to Edinburgh multiple times a year). I can understand more Scots wanting independence now, but for people like me in England it will mean the politics gets permanently worse without them, which will itself IMO be bad for everyone in what was the U.K..

It makes sense in the sense of they are in a marriage with abusive *******s.

And the Irish border issues are more to do with the Good Friday Agreement than with geography.
You could make that argument with the central governments of most medium to large western nations. For example, surveys in the states of former East Germany have consistently shown deep dissatisfaction with Berlin with a moderate minority of the population even wishing that Germany didn't reunify.

I'm from Northern Ireland and your spot on about the Good Friday Agreement and peace being a part there's equally a worry about trade... which is greatly affected by geography. You can't have drastically different rules on trade or regulations without having some sort of border or customs checks. This would happen in an independent Scotland that's an EU member if England has different rules from the EU.

The Tories never change. The free school meals campaign is really showing these guys true colors.

Tory MP Ben Bradley said Free School Meal vouchers “effectively” gave “cash direct to a crack den and brothel”.

Tory MP Philip Davies brands 16-year-old ‘intolerant’ for supporting free school meals extension. Ironic that Philip Davies, the former parliamentary spokesperson for the "Campaign Against Political Correctness" who has voted against every bill regarding equality for both LGBTQ and women, actually calling someone else "intolerant".

Telegraph article is getting dragged on social media
Fishing is currently a tiny fraction of our economy. But there is vast growth potential in using fish in cosmetic and health supplements. Bones, scales, guts, heads, enzymes - almost all can be monetised. Hull and Grimsby could be reborn as pharma hubs.
Some of the responses

The fleets of Hull and Grimsby were deep sea ones whose fishing grounds are no longer available.

There is a tiny village of Peterhead in NW Scotland with a harbour the size of a couple of football pitches lands 3x more fish than Hull and Grimsby combined.

EU were always the big barrier to Hull and Grimsby being pharma hubs :o

I think it just points out how delusional some of these Brexiteers really are.

As a man who unfortunately lives in Grimsby...... :wall:

Dan "no one is talking about leaving the single market" and "Covid won't kill you" Hannan. Why do these people still get a platform?

Just heard Corbyn has been suspended from the Labour Party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"