Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming? - Part 4

Scott, Warren (kinda split on him) Logan and Jean should stay Caucasian imo. But I guess... Everybody else can be fair game.

If they do the O5 then Scott and Jean stay white while Hank and Bobby change

I think he is referring to this one:

hqdefault.jpg

I've never seen Rian Johnson in one of these, but Kathleen Kennedy is front and center.

And this is offensive to you how?

Do I think like Cyclops or Jean are likely to be race swapped? No, but I absolutely expect others like Iceman to be. I don't think it matters if they do so (as long as powers and costume are accurate and actor is good). The problem is, most of the truly iconic X-Men are white (your First Class team, most of the Giant Sized, etc). If they plan on using those characters, changes will be made to diversify the X-Men. Bank on it.

I definitely think Marvel is going to be flexible in regards to X-Men casting, especially in regards to mutants who hadn't had the opportunity to shine on the big screen during the FOX years. Meaning pretty much all of them.

One bit of race bending that I thought was handled well was Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie. She was wonderful in the role, and I hope to see a lot more of her in Phase IV and beyond. And comic purists still got to see 616 Brunhilde made a brief, yet heroic, appearance.

Probably. The Zendaya thing went on forever, also. But, it won't stop Marvel. I think Homecoming's casting approach is pretty close to what they will do with X-Men.

As for Iceman, I didn't know that, LOL!
To be fair, Homecoming only changed the supporting characters. The X-Men are the main characters of their franchise.

I would be a little irritated if someone like Wolverine was changed since he comes from Old money 1800s. Warren Worthington is similar to Danny Rand from Iron Fist and a similar argument can be made against changing his race too (we all know how much controversy was surrounded Danny)

Scott, Warren (kinda split on him) Logan and Jean should stay Caucasian imo. But I guess... Everybody else can be fair game.

One poster suggested an Asian actor for Wolverine, which does make some sense based on his ties to Japan.

To be fair, Homecoming only changed the supporting characters. The X-Men are the main characters of their franchise

Not every single mutant will be treated as a main character. You will only have like maybe 4 main X-Men. Everyone else will be treated as supporting characters. That's just being realistic. Like, Cyclops likely is a main, but a guy like Iceman or Angel is not likely to be a main. They will be Ned Leeds with powers.

I honestly think race or ethnicity is important on a handful of characters. Like, Storm should be black, Piotr should be Russian, Kurt should be German, etc. Everyone else, I don't think it overtly matters. Heck, I am okay with Charles being black honestly.

Magneto is a tough cookie because race is important for him, but is it too many years for him to be a Holocaust survivor? If they're married to that idea, he could have been experimented on by Hydra and he can stay Jewish. Otherwise, we may need a new historical event.

Eh, I'd take a movie with a race-swapped Cyclops or Iceman or Wolverine over one starring guys like Forge, Bishop etc. any day of the week.

:dry:

Oh noes, motivational t-shirts! The worst nightmare of every self-respecting alpha male!

That photo is from when she was the keynote speaker at the Archer Film Festival at The Archer School for Girls.
Thanks for the clarification. I've seen a few different ones before, but that was the only one I could recall in the moment.

Please stop with the hyper sensitivity. The question was asked (not to me) about a pic showing the executives and was said said was their agenda. I even said "I think he was referring to this one", and I even pointed out having never seen Rian Johnson in such a pic.

Seriously, your alluding of any kind of offense on my part reads like a form of projection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, I'd take a movie with a race-swapped Cyclops or Iceman or Wolverine over one starring guys like Forge, Bishop etc. any day of the week.

:dry:

Oh noes, motivational t-shirts! The worst nightmare of every self-respecting alpha male!

Not to make this a Star Wars thread, but I never assigned a sex to The Force. I always saw it as something beyond that, but if they want to think of the Force that way, good for them.

One poster suggested an Asian actor for Wolverine, which does make some sense based on his ties to Japan.
Logan isn't Japanese though. He comes from rich white farmers during the late 1800s. Plus his look is too iconic to change. Certain characters like him shouldn't be changed imo. (Peter, Kitty, Kurt, Warren etc)

To an extent, I also think Charles should remain white to contrast with Erik. Charles comes from from a privilege life and he never saw the ugly side of humanity that Erik saw

Marvel Studios across film and TV, has a habit of gender and race swapping characters, but only the supporting ones and not the lead characters.

Logan isn't Japanese though. He comes from rich white farmers during the late 1800s. Plus his look is too iconic to change. Certain characters like him shouldn't be changed imo. (Peter, Kitty, Kurt, Warren etc)
Changing him would do away with a lot of the struggles he faced as a Gaijin as well. It compounded him being a mutant, making for an even more interesting story.

Marvel Studios across film and TV, has a habit of gender and race swapping characters, but only the supporting ones and not the lead characters.

That is true, but when you have a team like the X-Men, some of the team will be considered supporting characters. Let's say they use the original 5 just for argument sake (I think it will be closer to Giant Size team, but this is an example), of those 5, maybe 3 will be considered main characters. 2 or 3 will end up being treated like Ned Leeds or Liz Allen.

Please stop with the hyper sensitivity. The question was asked (not to me) about a pic showing the executives and was said said was their agenda. I even said "I think he was referring to this one", and I even pointed out having never seen Rian Johnson in such a pic.

Seriously, your alluding of any kind of offense on my part reads like a form of projection.

I can tell you I am totes cool with the t-shirts. How do you feel about it?

Why do I think Marvel will use those characters? Because they're the most popular. If you have the option to use either Cyclops or Darwin, I know who is probably going to win this. Marvel is going to use as many of the popular X-Men they can in their first film because they're popular. It's an easy answer. I am sure we will see some surprises with the first X-Men we see, sure. But, I bet you we see more familiar ones than non-familiar ones.
Plus Fox has neglected to put most of these characters. To me, the X-MEN are Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Wolverine the same way Peter Parker is Spider-Man.

To an extent, I also think Charles should remain white to contrast with Erik. Charles comes from from a privilege life and he never saw the ugly side of humanity that Erik saw

Well, Logan could be the child of a rich white farmer and his Asian wife. That wouldn't change his comic book look to any large degree. Given Jackman's long and successful run in the role, I think there's something to be said in giving him a different appearance for the MCU version.

Well, Logan could be the child of a rich white farmer and his Asian wife. That wouldn't change his comic book look to any large degree. Given Jackman's long and successful run in the role, I think there's something to be said in giving him a different appearance for the MCU version.
They can do that by making look closer to comic book Logan. Shorter, stockier brawler Wolverine

I can tell you I am totes cool with the t-shirts. How do you feel about it?
I don't really care two hoots about it. Point is I provided that since it was asked about it in a contextual form (in reference to someone else's post as well). I never provided any input beyond that about its contents. Yet that didn't stop you from trying to infer that I (for some reason) was offended by it.

Again, your words. Never mind that I preceeded with

I think he was referring to this one
One would think the context of that sentence was clear enough. But evidently not. Why bother with details when there is conflict to be created where none previously existed.

That makes zero sense.

Beast should stay as is. Angel, I can see them changing him, but I wouldn't want it.

Iceman is a gay white character in the comics. No need to change him.

No.

They can do that by making look closer to comic book Logan. Shorter, stockier brawler Wolverine

Yes.

Asian Wolverine is better than Last Samurai Logan.

I support increasing the profile of diverse characters and race swapping.

The X-men's themes come from real life narratives of racialized and queer people. Those people should be given meaningful representation (and they rarely are).

Is that no as in "Marvel would never do it!" or no as in "I simply couldn't accept any version of Wolverine that can't prove full caucasian ancestry via a DNA testing site?

Wolverine is one I would be surprised if he was race swapped. I would not reject the possibility, I just don't see it happening.

Personally, I just don't want Logan to change. I don't see Marvel changing the race of one of their most iconic characters. Especially since him being that way plays a big part of his origin.

Personally, I just don't want Logan to change. I don't see Marvel changing the race of one of their most iconic characters. Especially since him being that way plays a big part of his origin.

If I were Marvel, I would just avoid revealing too much about his origin. We got several movies about it from FOX, and the prequel directly about it sucked. I would just keep it mainly a mystery and nebulous.

I think Marvel is more likely to be flexible with Logan given how iconic Jackman's version turned out to be. You don't want to draw comparisons with the one X-Men character pretty much everyone agrees was done well at Fox. I wouldn't be surprised if the MCU version is shorter, darker & hairier and wears his classic costume at least some of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"