Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming? - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like Storm in from early on so that she can start the path to being a leader so that if the films are popular enough we can eventually have 2 teams.

I know this isn't the "how would you make the MCU X-men movie" thread (does that exist?) but I don't see why the 05 would be a selling point. Scott, Jean, and Iceman I get: Scott's the leader, Jean's the heart, and Iceman is the perfect character for Marvel to adapt. But Beast and Angel could be replaced with more interesting characters and there's no reason to limit the team to five members.

I think they can go with more than 5 members given a fair bit of familiarity with X-Men after all these films. Beast not interesting? Not heard that one before. :woot:

Fox was VERY eager to sell and to sell fast. If Disney wanted to work in a deal that they could Use the F4 in the next 3 years and at least have the rights to say the word "mutant" in MCU films/TV starting next year, I don't find that a stretch they made that happen. I'm not saying they did, as it really may not have been as important to them (as it would to us as fans), I'm just saying that's a small thing to give when you are trying to unload your studio.

Not surprised in the slightest, figured it would happen.

Keep in mind, though, those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive categories; "they"... are fans. Arguably more so than some of us. Especially Fiege. He was hired for the first X-Men because of his encyclopedic knowledge. I could definitely see them working in minor stipulations in addition to the overall deal.

Especially Fiege. He was hired for the first X-Men because of his encyclopedic knowledge..
Not exactly true. He GAINED that knowledge while working on the film, somewhere in pre-production, when his job was basically mining the comic books for ideas. He became a fan during that time, but he wasn't hired because he already was one. He wasn't hired at all. He was already LSD's assistant by that time.

Not exactly true. He GAINED that knowledge while working on the film, somewhere in pre-production, when his job was basically mining the comic books for ideas. He became a fan during that time, but he wasn't hired because he already was one. He wasn't hired at all. He was already LSD's assistant by that time.

Instead of Feige relying on LSD, it's the drug that relies on him instead?

Oh god not another origin film. I'd be perfectly fine if they go the Spider-man route and jump right into the action
but we have never seen their origin done right. this is not a Batman/Spider-Man situation where one would revisit stuff seen before multiple times. No stupid N-Zone, no Doom attached. Just a space race and a cosmic ray bombardement

Feige must be struggling to get to sleep at night right now. It's exciting enough for us but imagine also having the keys to the kingdom and the ability to make what you want happen. :hmr:

Nah.. that is not fully true either. He has said he was a comic book fan growing up but just not the rabid fan we usually associate him with. He still loves the art of an universe, he mentioned how big a fan he was of Star Wars etc. It was just that he went back to those books when he was assisting Donner with X Men and did more of a deep dive. Kinda when a hobby becomes your job.

Feige must be struggling to get to sleep at night right now. It's exciting enough for us but imagine also having the keys to the kingdom and the ability to make what you want happen. :hmr:
a lot of interns at MS will work their butts off atm to make all the changes to the 5 year plans happen

Eh... Outside of the obvious diversity issue, I don't see a compelling reason to have to have Storm right away.

She's an incredibly popular X-Man. Same reason Wolverine will be there, but without the baggage of being overexposed, overindulged and following up an iconic incarnation, and with the advantage of bringing racial, cultural, and mutant power diversity, all of which help drive this particular kind of story.

Start of with the originals, cast them young. No need to say they've been working as the full fledged X-Men unknown until now. Make it their literal premiere on the world stage.

The audience then is on the same page as the characters, rather then getting a bunch of unseen back story that has to be doled out for at minimum six heroic characters (Scott, Jean, Warren, Bobby, Hank and Xavier) that would have been having far reaching adventures before we even meet them. That's sort of exactly what they did at Fox. Why retread that?

Give us what Fox didn't I say. Start with the core original team and expand out from there.

I like this idea, but how how do you overcome the thing that made the original team fail commercially in the first place? They're kind of a homogenous group, which is a death knell for a storyline about being 'other' in the 1960s, to say nothing of the 2020s. The O5 only works through nostalgic lenses, and that's how they should be used.

I'd say split the difference, minimize the backstory to one or two missions and start the film mixing in the new blood with the O5, maybe not have all of them rejoin the mansion, pick your mix, and send them off against a bad guy we don't see them fight all the time.

a lot of interns at MS will work their butts off atm to make all the changes to the 5 year plans happen

Feige, call me. I'm happy to fly over and help mate.

That is a compelling reason and not simply the race. Having Jean be the only female with 5 males sounds boring. Another female is needed for balance

That's why I added Kitty in my list.
I know this isn't the "how would you make the MCU X-men movie" thread (does that exist?) but I don't see why the 05 would be a selling point. Scott, Jean, and Iceman I get: Scott's the leader, Jean's the heart, and Iceman is the perfect character for Marvel to adapt. But Beast and Angel could be replaced with more interesting characters and there's no reason to limit the team to five members.

Well Fox's version of the Angel and the Beast are hardly memorable, Angel didn't even join the X-Men, so this is a chance for Marvel to redeem both mutants in a movie.

I wonder what Feige's answer will be to the deal during the BP press tour stuff :woot:

Feige, call me. I'm happy to fly over and help mate.
I volunteer as tribute as well! It would be amazing to have an input on MS X-Men :hmr:. Hell, I'd work for free, lol.

Marvel Studios does not do 1:1 translations of the comics to the films. The MCU has made all kinds of changes to characters and stories, some minor and some drastic. But Marvel Studios always keeps the spirit of its properties in tact and that is the most important thing. I do not think Marvel needs to make their movie with 05 for them to show us the spirit of the X-men (in fact, as others have pointed out, the 05 might be counter-productive in this regard).
because that's the team people who grew up with them wants to see. starting with the second generation would be like starting the FF franchise with She-Hulk instead of Thing. Sure, it was cool, when it happened, but it is not the FF you want to see
I understand this as a reason for your preference, but your comparison doesn't work. The hugely popular animated series demonstrates the flexibility in the roster. The X-world is populated with amazing characters that have been on and off teams for decades in a way that the FF hasn't.
I think they can go with more than 5 members given a fair bit of familiarity with X-Men after all these films. Beast not interesting? Not heard that one before. :woot:
Meh, finding Beast boring is more of a matter of opinion, but it's not one I am unique in having.

Last edited:
I like this idea, but how how do you overcome the thing that made the original team fail commercially in the first place? They're kind of a homogenous group, which is a death knell for a storyline about being 'other' in the 1960s, to say nothing of the 2020s. The O5 only works through nostalgic lenses, and that's how they should be used.

I'd say split the difference, minimize the backstory to one or two missions and start the film mixing in the new blood with the O5, maybe not have all of them rejoin the mansion, pick your mix, and send them off against a bad guy we don't see them fight all the time.
At this point, with Disney's marketing and Marvel Studios producing. It can succeed, and its not like Jean, Cyclops, Iceman, Beast and Angel are d listers, they are a list X-Men and half of them have yet to truly shine in a film.

I do not think Marvel needs to make their movie with 05 for them to show us the spirit of the X-men. .

And they don't need to showcase Storm and Wolverine either for the first film to show us the spirit of the X-Men. Like in every cartoon, they are always in the first roster, so as most videogames and then X1. While Beast, Angel, Iceman have to wait longer for an appearance.

If the 05 needs more members, Havok and Polaris could join them.

I find it odd that after decades of Fox wasting Storm, some fans don't think she should be a priority for Marvel Studio's first X-film. Her branding and iconography could carry the film and show audiences a side of the X-men they haven't seen in a movie yet. The fact that the 05 are comic accurate (to a time where the X-men were not popular) should not force the MCU to start with just those characters (and as history in the MCU has shown, it wont).

Last edited:
The first team for the first film IMO should be Jean, Scott, Storm, Iceman, Beast. Pretty much the originals with Storm taking Angel's spot.

Id actually save Wolverine for a solo film but tease him in the first and have him officially join in the second.

but we have never seen their origin done right. this is not a Batman/Spider-Man situation where one would revisit stuff seen before multiple times. No stupid N-Zone, no Doom attached. Just a space race and a cosmic ray bombardement
its unnecesary. My way to do it is to have Reed in Avengers 4 as a top scientist that has worked with SHIELD/Avengers from the very beginning. In that film he can talk about his upcoming space shuttle trip. Sometime between that and FF film, it will have happened and they can get into the movie with them already having powers and dialogue and brief flashbacks to fill things out. I really dont want them to waste time telling an entire origin

Last edited:
You kind of need a fleshed out origin for the FF. The character arc of how getting their powers changed their lives is essential.

But it was been told twice before in movies (poorly)...

...so I guess flashbacks it is. Smh.

Storm can also appear in Black Panther 2 (I’m assuming the first one does well enough to get a sequel)

The first team for the first film IMO should be Jean, Scott, Storm, Iceman, Beast. Pretty much the originals with Storm taking Angel's spot.

Id actually save Wolverine for a solo film but tease him in the first and have him officially join in the second.

its unnecesary. My way to do it is to have Reed in Avengers 4 as a top scientist that has worked with SHIELD/Avengers from the very beginning. In that film he can talk about his upcoming space shuttle trip. Sometime between that and FF film, it will have happened and they can get into the movie with them already having powers and dialogue and brief flashbacks to fill things out. I really dont want them to waste time telling an entire origin

Avengers 4 would be too soon. The deal won't even be in effect until next year, if not early 2019

I really do think it is necessary. at least once, show the GA their origin

Storm can also appear in Black Panther 2 (I’m assuming the first one does well enough to get a sequel)
This too! We're talking about a character who hasn't had any significant relationships or arcs, despite being an iconic character. I'd love to see her cross over to Wakanda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"