Disney's live-action "Mulan"

When nearly every major release wasn't the subject of mindnumbing controversial debate for some reason and people were just simply glad to discuss what they liked or disliked about movies with maybe those few voicing their weird opinions? Yes, yes I do.

Don't know what country you're from where that was always a thing, but okay.

He is from America. Where the Christian right has always complained about Hollywood corrupting goodness and piety.

It's only recently that American conservatism has moved from religious puritanism to ethnonationalism.

Regardless, politics in movies was always a thing.

Frankly if I was in charge of Disney, I probably wouldn't even venture into the no win scenario minefield of making any public statement about this whole situation and just let the movie come out when it will and speak for itself. Speaking one way or another risks making things worse.

So I guess this one won't be making a billion. Yifei....

tenor.gif
Huh? How is appearing to side with China going to hurt this film's chance of making a billion?

This is fair. But then I wonder, if she sees China like that, why would she leave her family there?
Because her career is based in China? Her family's lives are in China? I mean hindsight is 2020. There's no way for anyone to know this was going to happen at this very moment when she got cast in this very movie about a nationalist heroine. Couple years back nobody outside of China knew who she was, she was just going her merry way making films and TV shows, and not really involved politically in anything to step on anyone's toes. Sometimes life just hits you in the most surprising ways.
I don’t believe in censorship at all, but I also don’t have any sympathy for the position Disney have potentially put themselves in.
Again hindsight is 2020. I don't blame Disney for wanting to make an extra buck from their second biggest market, especially when they have no idea this whole thing was going to happen.

At the end of the day, it still amazes me that this entire thing stemmed from some dude who killed his gf because her baby actually belonged to her ex. This timeline I swear.

He is from America. Where the Christian right has always complained about Hollywood corrupting goodness and piety.

It's only recently that American conservatism has moved from religious puritanism to ethnonationalism.

Regardless, politics in movies was always a thing.

That's not so recent. The American evangelical movement has always had a current of white supremacy. And the Christian Right has never had a lot of "goodness and piety".

It's no longer dog whistles. White nationalist talking points are mainstream. Look at Tuck Her Carlson at Faux news. Meanwhile religious hand waving is at its lowest.

And the Christian Right has never had a lot of "goodness and piety"

Did I claim they were?

Again hindsight is 2020. I don't blame Disney for wanting to make an extra buck from their second biggest market, especially when they have no idea this whole thing was going to happen.

Hollywood's fixation with Chinese money was always going to come to ahead once human rights issues started to come to the surface again. The question becomes what happens if another Tiananmen square incident were to occur. The likes of Disney have been quick to cower to the online outrage mob out of fear of looking bad, so if something bad were to happen in HK they've basically back themselves into a corner. They can't claim to be protecting their brand by firing someone for 10 year old jokes whilst releasing a film in a country where there are human rights violations being plastered online. I don't begrudge them chasing the money, but I have zero sympathy for them bending the knee to a government and then having that backfire in their face.

Hong Kong Protesters Urge Boycott of Disney's Mulan Remake After Star's Pro-Police Comments

Oh dear, sounds like she should have kept her trap shut on this issue. Think it likely makes it worse that she's a naturalized American citizen so she has access to a relatively fair democracy and then criticizes people in Hong Kong fighting for there's.
Even Jackie Chan has been making semi anti-comments against the protesters. All of these are really the works of the mainland government.

Hong Kong Protesters Urge Boycott of Disney's Mulan Remake After Star's Pro-Police Comments

Oh dear, sounds like she should have kept her trap shut on this issue. Think it likely makes it worse that she's a naturalized American citizen so she has access to a relatively fair democracy and then criticizes people in Hong Kong fighting for there's.
Not saying whether she's right or not in posting that comment, but I think this might actually help the film in China now, where she was always kinda considered box office poison.

Even Jackie Chan has been making semi anti-comments against the protesters. All of these are really the works of the mainland government.

Jackie Chan is loyal to the Chinese government (at least publicly) so that's not a surprise.

disney knew how it was in china. they have plan A,B,C,D,..... when something bad happens. they have 100 of statements ready to be realesed to the public. they spend years calculating this. :twisted:

disney knew how it was in china. they have plan A,B,C,D,..... when something bad happens. they have 100 of statements ready to be realesed to the public. they spend years calculating this. :twisted:
Announce Frozen 3.

Well, seems Disney's Mulan problem is not going away. Not that it was ever going to, contrary to what some here may have thought:

In China, Disney's #BoycottMulan Problem May Only Be Growing

The studio's apparent decision to try to duck the difficult PR dilemma has put it in the awkward spot of aligning its interests with Beijing and the Hong Kong government, both of which seem to be hoping that the protesters will lose their nerve.

And yet, it's not as if Disney CEO Bob Iger hasn't taken a stance on hot-button political topics before. He stepped down from President Trump’s business advisory council in response to the president’s decision to withdraw from the Paris climate deal, calling the decision “a matter of principle.” Iger also said “I rather doubt [Disney] will” continue shooting in Georgia after the state passed one of the most restrictive abortion laws in the country.

The Hong Kong movement's determination not to simply fade away was on display Aug. 18, when an estimated 1.7 million protesters braved heavy rain for a peaceful procession through the heart of the city. Protesters are considering staging a mass sit-in at Hong Kong Disneyland next, possibly as soon as Aug. 24. (Some are concerned that the theme park's location — on a remote corner of Hong Kong's Lantau Island — could leave protestors cornered and vulnerable to mass arrests.)

Should they forge ahead — and should police respond — Disney may not have the luxury of avoiding comment if global newscasts show tear gas wafting over Hong Kong Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle. "If things polarize even further in Hong Kong and China resorts to even greater violence to assert its authority, it will become much harder for [Disney] not to get dragged into it," adds Rosen, noting that further comments from Liu could also inflame tensions. "It's not unthinkable that the release date for Mulan could have to be moved beyond March 2020."

At this point Disney should probably just be quiet and let the movie come out and chips fall where they will.

What a mess. Of all the people who could have gotten the gig and now this.

Poor Hong Kong

Meh, hindsight is 2020, she was casted almost 2 years ago, no one could foresee this mess happening. And it doesn't even seem like the boycott did anything since the crowd reportedly went crazy and had a positive reaction when they showed footage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"