Disney's live-action "Mulan"

She is a naturalized American citizen. She never has to go back to China.

If this escalates, and the protesters seemed determined, while China is trying to place them as some sort of terrorists while gearing up their army, Disney is not going to want to be seen as supporting mass murder of people. I don't care how much money they make in China. I don't care if they have two theme parks there. This has been trending all day. Imagine if something even more serious happens? How do you think that will play anywhere other then China?

Do we know where Yifei’s family is, though? It wouldn’t surprise me any if the Chinese government knew exactly where to find then and kill them all - assuming they’re in China. Unfortunately, it’s not just her that could be at risk: we’re dealing with a very dangerous and unpredictable country that will do literally anything to maintain their image. Do I know what Yifei’s personal politics are? No, of course not. But there could be many factors at play here.

If the situation gets worse in HK then Disney are going to have a big dilemma on their hands. The truth is they’ve known fully well who they are dealing with when it comes to China and have chosen to ignore certain things for the sake of trying to make profit. So, if they find themselves in a bind over this film and the actress they’ve hired then frankly it’s their own doing.

Do we know where Yifei’s family is, though? It wouldn’t surprise me any if the Chinese government knew exactly where to find then and kill them all - assuming they’re in China. Unfortunately, it’s not just her that could be at risk: we’re dealing with a very dangerous and unpredictable country that will do literally anything to maintain their image. Do I know what Yifei’s personal politics are? No, of course not. But there could be many factors at play here.
This is fair. But then I wonder, if she sees China like that, why would she leave her family there?

As for Disney, they have made nearly a billion dollars in China so far. I think you can guess what side they will end up on.
We've all just got to hope another Tiananmen Square doesn't happen. But if things do get worse, I'm getting increasingly nervous about how the US, both government and corporations like Disney will respond. For years now China has been testing to see how much leeway their money will by them. It's not going to end well.

I mean, we already know which side Trump is going to fall on. Him and his love of dictatorships.

As for Disney, you just have to look at their Chinese receipts this year.

You yearn for a time that never existed? :huh:
When nearly every major release wasn't the subject of mindnumbing controversial debate for some reason and people were just simply glad to discuss what they liked or disliked about movies with maybe those few voicing their weird opinions? Yes, yes I do.

Don't know what country you're from where that was always a thing, but okay.

When nearly every major release wasn't the subject of mindnumbing controversial debate for some reason and people were just simply glad to discuss what they liked or disliked about movies with maybe those few voicing their weird opinions? Yes, yes I do.

The lead actress possibly supports police brutality and an oppressive government regime. Talk to her about weird opinions.

The lead actress possibly supports police brutality and an oppressive government regime. Talk to her about weird opinions.
I was referring to movie fans in that regard, though I apologize for not making that clearer.

I don't support her opinion here, but it's not gonna have any bearing on the quality of the film unless Disney chooses to fire her or something, which I don't think will happen.

Okay, I don't know what news you keep up with, but I'd suggest looking up what is happening in Hong Kong before calling it a "mind numbing controversial debate". The people of Hong Kong are risking their lives in an attempt to save their home, their people. These are the people calling for a boycott of the film.You don't have to do it, you don't even have to acknowledge that is happening. But the idea of caring about this situation is a "weird opinion"? That's frightening.

Film, like all art, has always been heavy on the politics. Countless courses on the subject are offered at universities across the globe. But we don't even need to talk about that. You know why? Because this situation shows it. They Chinese government didn't go and ask famous actors to say something because being an artist separates you from politics. The Chinese government is literally using Mulan as propaganda.

You, uh, you might want to read the post just above yours. You're misunderstanding my point here.

I don’t believe in censorship at all, but I also don’t have any sympathy for the position Disney have potentially put themselves in.

Crystal Liu is in a position, whether by her own will or not, where she doesn’t have to adhere to any of Hollywood’s rules. Disney knew this when trying to chase Chinese coin. They just never banked on a situation like Hong Kong happening.

Crystal Liu is in a position, whether by her own will or not, where she doesn’t have to adhere to any of Hollywood’s rules. Disney knew this when trying to chase Chinese coin. They just never banked on a situation like Hong Kong happening.

Or hoped China would keep a tighter lid on it. Like they are doing with their ethnic cleansing of chinese muslims.

Or hoped China would keep a tighter lid on it. Like they are doing with their ethnic cleansing of chinese muslims.

Indeed. Trying to chase Chinese coin was always going to come back to bite Hollywood in the arse.

Freedom of speech does not mean it's okay to support an authoritarian government who's screwing over their people. Sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut in regards to highly controversial opinions. In today's age, it can screw you over majorly, and most of the time rightfully so.

Freedom of speech does not mean it's okay to support an authoritarian government who's screwing over their people. Sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut in regards to highly controversial opinions. In today's age, it can screw you over majorly, and most of the time rightfully so.

It won't screw her over though. Even if Hollywood were to reject her she'll still get work in China.

Any actor can say whatever they want, and if someone chooses not to see their movie because of it, that’s their perogative.

It won't screw her over though. Even if Hollywood were to reject her she'll still get work in China.

Unless she missteps somehow and gets disappeared for three months (or longer) like Fan Bingbing.

**** her. What the **** is there to be ashamed of for protesting against dictatorship while she lives in comfort and as a naturalized American citizen? Some are clearly missing the point here. The issue is not about her right to free speech, but about the brutality of the mainland Chinese government and a problem from Disney's own making.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist but this seems like standard Chinese nationalist propaganda. The mainland government has found an easy way to broadcast their nationalist agenda directly and globally through Hollywood. I really doubt this issue gets buried once this gets released.

You, uh, you might want to read the post just above yours. You're misunderstanding my point here.
That is a really weird statement to make considering what is being discussed, especially after your first two posts.. Why else even bring up the concept limiting discussion of a film, when we are specifically talking about politics and a call for a boycott?

I bring it back to your first statement:

I yearn for the days when people could discuss movies without bringing politics into it, as well as pre-Twitter Internet. Boy do I miss those days.
You wrote politics right there. The political aspect in the actress statement. Also just in general, the idea of limiting it to "movie fans". I am going to guess the reason why Mulan was brought up because those that called for the boycott in the first place know what Mulan is. They have seen a movie or two in their lives. Might even consider themselves a fan of cinema.

Also, how one individual looks at a film is up to them. The "quality" is in the eye of the beholder. What effects someone's opinion of art, belongs completely to them.

Last edited:
China controls the $, but Disney can at least stand up for principles. Your move, Iger.

You wrote politics right there. The political aspect in the actress statement.
And I've already stated my thoughts on what she's said in the following posts after that. Also, you're making a big assumption here by claiming I'm deeming that all movie fans bring politics into movie discussions even when there's no need, when that's obviously not the case. I thought it was pretty clear that I was referring to a few vocal people on the Internet (more specifically on Twitter).

The situation here is obviously quite different, true. I'm not diminishing or brushing off what she's stated, again, I point to my previous posts in the last two pages to demonstrate that.

That being said, in general, am I not allowed to wish that a major movie nowadays isn't surrounded by controversy and political sides shouting at each other while I (and a few other people I'd wager) just want to enjoy a movie for what it is? The world is already pretty screwed as it is, so forgive me if I want to talk about movies with people regarding their own merits as entertainment and nothing more than that. People are allowed to discuss their opinion, yes, but if it's something that I find perplexing or really not that big to be mad about (ex. Brie Larson, The Last Jedi, etc.), I'm also free to find it tiresome and roll my eyes. If you disagree with me, that's fine, but it's just how I feel.

Anyway, the ball is in Disney's court to do something or not. I wonder if they'll even make a response to this.

Last edited:
China controls the $, but Disney can at least stand up for principles. Your move, Iger.

What would that mean at this point? Denouncing the country funding the movie? Firing the lead actress after the movie is filmed? Reshooting it without Chinese support?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"