Disney's live-action "Mulan"

On a side note about corporate politics, I hope people who support Mulan and Disney despite this issue also support Sony for taking out Spider-Man in the MCU.

What does one have to do with the other or how are they similar situations?

The common thread is of course Disney. The past few days have basically affirmed my long standing view that MCU fans are extremely rabid. Buy Sony so that Spider-Man can return to the MCU and basically enlarge another competitor that is historically the largest any studio has been? Wishing Sony crumbles as a studio? Sony is absolutely in the right about the Spider-Man issue because it is their only solid money making franchise, whatever your feelings about the prospect about its future critical reception may be. Yet I see people (not all) support Disney for making the right financial and PR decision by keeping quiet about this for now. Gross and **** Disney.

Disney probably is making the right financial and PR decision by staying quiet about this, and I don’t like Sony going back to running Spider-Man by itself because Sony has earned zero benefit of the doubt about its ability to run its own properties competently.

. And it doesn't even seem like the boycott did anything since the crowd reportedly went crazy and had a positive reaction when they showed footage.
was there ever a negative reaction at a convention from fans?

Disney probably is making the right financial and PR decision by staying quiet about this, and I don’t like Sony going back to running Spider-Man by itself because Sony has earned zero benefit of the doubt about its ability to run its own properties competently.
Much like Fox, Sony has lost the ability to properly run it's own franchises. I can't think of a Sony property offhand they haven't screwed up in the past few years.

Much like Fox, Sony has lost the ability to properly run it's own franchises. I can't think of a Sony property offhand they haven't screwed up in the past few years.

Venom was a bumbling hot mess that felt like it belonged in the 1990s, and beneath the MCU. I wouldn't blame Feige for not wanting it incorporated.

Even with Venom's success it could have been so much better.

Jumanji 2 was a surprising hit and the sequel looks like it could do the same.

According to John Campea, the footage they showed at D23, looked beautiful. Really praised the cinematography.

The common thread is of course Disney. The past few days have basically affirmed my long standing view that MCU fans are extremely rabid. Buy Sony so that Spider-Man can return to the MCU and basically enlarge another competitor that is historically the largest any studio has been? Wishing Sony crumbles as a studio? Sony is absolutely in the right about the Spider-Man issue because it is their only solid money making franchise, whatever your feelings about the prospect about its future critical reception may be. Yet I see people (not all) support Disney for making the right financial and PR decision by keeping quiet about this for now. Gross and **** Disney.

You're right. It's odd how people's response to this situation isn't this conglomerate playing unfair to a studio who was just trying to do the same thing, it was "****ing Sony always ****ing this up."

It kind of goes to show how people respond to these brands. Because one is so beloved right now, even an unfair negotiating tactic is ignored in favor is bashing a studio whose movies we don't like.

And I'm sick of people praising Disney as this progressive studio. Stop aligning personal politics with a ****ing conglomerate that owns over 40% of the market place. They don't give a flying **** about any of it.

You're right. It's odd how people's response to this situation isn't this conglomerate playing unfair to a studio who was just trying to do the same thing, it was "****ing Sony always ****ing this up."

It kind of goes to show how people respond to these brands. Because one is so beloved right now, even an unfair negotiating tactic is ignored in favor is bashing a studio whose movies we don't like.

And I'm sick of people praising Disney as this progressive studio. Stop aligning personal politics with a ****ing conglomerate that owns over 40% of the market place. They don't give a flying **** about any of it.

Yeah I said it before but some people seem truly obsessed with this. Wishing for a studio to fail / get bought is petty and awful. Sony is a much smaller studio than Disney and of course they are not going to want to give up control of their flagship franchise. And I don't think that Disney was gonna stop at 25% or 30%. They want the character back.

Going back to the main topic. Unlike the Gunn firing, which is pretty harmless and something which is common among artists this Mulan **** show is actually relevant politically not just in Hong Kong but in other countries as well. People's live are at stake, not just money.

Thinking this one may be the first pg13 adaptation of one of their animated films.

I would have strongly suggested against a comparison to Kurosawa. That is a bar that can't be cleared.

Anyway, we now know what Disney will do about this, due to ESPN's response to the Morey incident, which is jack ****. And if anything, probably forcing the actors from saying anything either.

In any event, while many of Kurosawa's films feature sweeping mass battle scenes, I'd argue that's not really what most defines his style of filmmaking. David Lean, definitely.

I would have strongly suggested against a comparison to Kurosawa. That is a bar that can't be cleared.

Anyway, we now know what Disney will do about this, due to ESPN's response to the Morey incident, which is jack ****. And if anything, probably forcing the actors from saying anything either.
We'll see. The NBA at least has some form of plausible deniability since I'm sure a good portion of them aren't familiar at all with what's going on in China and HK. Mulan's cast is consist primarily of people from that side of the world. Hell, Donnie Yen is a Hong Kong actor. Gonna be hard to buy them not having comments, and there are a lot of independent reporters not from the big companies during press rounds that might ask rogue questions and what not. Now I'm not sure how loyal Donnie Yen is to his home HK, but assuming he supports the protests, just seems like a ****ed up situation to stop him from speaking out.

In any event, while many of Kurosawa's films feature sweeping mass battle scenes, I'd argue that's not really what most defines his style of filmmaking. David Lean, definitely.

Only if all you know about Lean is Laurie of Arabia and Zhivago. Blithe Spirit, Hobsons Choice, Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Summertime, Kwai, Madeleine, passage to India and a others care to disagree.

EXCLUSIVE: Disney's Live-Action 'Mulan' Remake To Undergo Extensive Reshoots -

It’s been a couple of months since the release of the teaser for Disney’s upcoming live-action adaptation of Mulan. Now, while the teaser received mostly positive feedback, we had heard test screening earlier this year didn’t go so well with viewers, as we heard Mushu was replaced with a non-speaking Phoenix (which was confirmed at this years D23 Expo) and that the film would feature some of the music of the animated film but wouldn’t be sung by the actors.

Now, we have learned that Mulan is gearing up for some extensive reshoots. According to a source close to the project, the film will be undergoing four months of reshoots starting this month and should last through February. As of now, it is not known what the reshoots entail, but we heard it is for significant battle sequences. We also do not know if the studio is deciding to add Mushu or have the cast sing the songs after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"