Disney's live-action "Mulan"

Because it may end up costing more in the long run.it.

Why? It’s like leaving a billion on the table. The film will be on streaming eventually regardless, but it has only one shot at a theatrical release. The money they lose now will more than make up for whenever it’s finally released properly.

Because it may end up costing more in the long run. This year is basically a wipe out for films. Right now if you're a smaller film scheduled for release Netflix is looking like a saviour because they are likely to buy and distribute your movie meaning more people have a chance to now see it. But these big tentpoles run massive marketing campaigns in the hundreds of millions in an attempt to get people to watch it, which they will now have to do all over again. As I said though, contracts are probably in place which prevent this, but it would surprise me if there was no natural disaster type of clause.
No it won't. They know how to crunch the numbers. A lot better then any of us. They know how much they are set to lose. Especially when breaking contracts would cost them more then they possibly lose from marketing at this point.

Also, nothing about a pandemic would force them to not release a movie in theaters. The reason they are delaying the releases is to maximize profits.

Why? It’s like leaving a billion on the table. The film will be on streaming eventually regardless, but it has only one shot at a theatrical release.

But they are going to have to spend more money on it now. Lets say they've spent 400 million on the films production + it's marketing, not to mention all the money on premiers and other events associated with its release. The film itself might be done, but the other stuff they have to start from scratch. Not to mention whatever momentum the film has has been diminished, meaning they have to rebuild hype from the ground up. It's not just a case of they'll release it in a few months time and everything will be fine, their entire strategy has been thrown out the window, there's all sort of logistics that I'll guarantee weren't planned for that will cost god knows how much money.

juhUoZ3.png

Maybe Iger saw the virus coming, hence stepping down. :D

I was looking forward to watch this in an almost empty theater next next Sunday. I watched Onward last Sunday night and it was 1/3 full.

So I guess this gives me a chance to finally watch The Invisible Man,if the mall isn't closed this Sunday.

Do movie theater chains get a cut of the theatrical release earnings? How much comes from concessions?

In terms of ticket profits, they get a small portion of the rental earnings in the first 2 weeks and a larger portion if the films leg past 3-4 weeks. (Overall, they get like 45% of ticket sales and less if it's a major MCU/SW film.) Concessions are the bulk of exhibitors' profit margins.

So the last minute delays of A Quiet Place 2 and now Mulan, it hurts exhibitors and us employees at said companies. :(

In terms of where Mulan will land... late summer (probably Jungle Cruise or One and Only Ivan's spot) or fall, depending when the coronavirus starts winding down.

I'm hoping June or July.

I think it's time that the studios need to be bolder about releasing blockbusters in the fall.

Mulan will likely move to summer (July 24 or August 14 with either film skedded going to early 2021), but depending on what Disney wants, it can do gangbusters in the fall with the right date. October 2 could be nice counter programming for Venom 2.

At this point, nothing is guaranteed. I feel like every blockbuster movie will be moved and that will affect the movies that are supposed to come out in May, June to December. And if the movies that are supposed to come out in late 2020 don't move and they compete with the delayed movies, then there's a chance that they would just cannibalize each other leading to lower box office numbers.

Disney hasn't set a date because they are uncertain about this coronavirus outbreak.

looks like a good time to reopen cinemas in bat country....

And round and round we go.

Warner and Disney will delay there movies every 2 weeks, because no one will be the first to open with a blockbuster, that‘l bomb.
I wonder how long they‘ll go on with delaying-competition

And Tenet will join them. The idea of theaters being back in July is a pipe dream.

Agreed. I've been saying this since this pandemic started. Even with their adverts confirming an end of July release date was not only a silly move but it just wasn't feasible and like I said Inn the TENET thread, if they still push ahead, it's going to FLOP FLOP FLOP. Nolan needs to get real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"