Divergent

It's better than the last one but it still just makes me want to see Mockingjay more than anything else. Sorry Divergent fans.

i just finished reading the second book, Insurgent. if done well, these movies will do decent. it sucks for them that they're so strongly compared to Hunger Games (which has been greatly done) and Twilight (which imo was weak material that made tons) because their not really similar to either.

i feel the common theme of dystopian tones but this one fares more politically and psychologically and has strong parallels to one's role in society, government, nature vs nuture etc.

The books may be good but the movie still looks pretty bad to me. Hopefully I'm proven wrong but this one smells like a stinker.

I think they're having a hard time selling the premise based on the trailer.

Though, I think the movie looks more 2nd tier than 3rd tier, where City of Bones dwells.

That being said..I'm rooting for the film. There are many talented people behind this. I hope it pays off.

They had to get the worst, the most generic director for the sequel...but I blame Summit for their awful fast schedule for Insurgent.

They had to get the worst, the most generic director for the sequel...but I blame Summit for their awful fast schedule for Insurgent.

I haven't read the novels and passage of time between each installment -- but if they're cranking them out fast, they have to. Shailene Woodley isn't getting any younger.

movie money towards Divergent tix when you buy the new Hunger Games and/or Catching Fire Steelbooks from Best Buy

xatdli.jpg

those go on sale week of 3/2-3/8

I haven't read the novels and passage of time between each installment -- but if they're cranking them out fast, they have to. Shailene Woodley isn't getting any younger.

The miracle that was Catching Fire is that they managed to get a great director for the sequel(s) AND what really help is that the first Hunger Games opened in March 2012, and Catching Fire November 2013. Now it's not exactly two years apart, but there's enough distance and time to make a good movie out of 'CF'.

Here, there's no time. In fact, Divergent's schedule is more in line with Twilight with really short prep-time and rush productions.

‘Divergent’ Tracking for Franchise-Launching $50 Million-Plus Box-Office Opening

That’s good news for Lionsgate and Summit, who hope they have another “Twilight” or “Hunger Games” on their hands

Things are coming together nicely for “Divergent.”

Early tracking came online Thursday for the young adult sci-fi adventure that Lionsgate and Summit Entertainment are banking on becoming a franchise, and it looks on course to open with north of $50 million.

That’s a strong number, particularly since the sci-fi adventure, based on Veronica Roth’s bestselling novels and starring Shailene Woodley and Theo James, won’t open until March 21. It has time to build.

And it’s solid enough to withstand comparisons with “Twilight” and “The Hunger Games,” two other book-based young adult films that turned into lucrative franchises. The studio has already scheduled sequels in March of 2015 and 2016 for “Divergent.”

The anticipation over “Divergent,” directed by Neil Burger, has been heightened by the success of those films and the failure of a string of recent book-based, teen-targeting movies like “The Host” and “Mortal Instruments: City of Bones,” which their studios had hoped would launch franchises.

Lionsgate and Summit executives weren’t talking Thursday, but they have to be happy with what looks like a strong start for “Divergent.” The tracking numbers compare with the first “Twilight” movie at a similar stage, and they are also in line with the long-range projection of BoxOffice.com as well.

The first “Twilight” movie opened to $69 million in November 2008. It eventually took in $192 million and spawned four sequels. Overall, the franchise brought in $3.3 billion globally.

In March 2012, the first “Hunger Games” opened to $152 million, and its “Catching Fire” sequel debuted to $158 million last year. Together, they’ve taken in $1.5 billion worldwide — with two more installments coming at Thanksgiving over the next two years.

“Divergent” is unlikely to hit those heights, but a $50 million opening would put it comfortably over $100 million domestically and on a path to profitability. It has an $85 million production budget and marketing will likely run another $40 million, but pre-sales of foreign rights have already brought in roughly $65 million.

Tickets for “Divergent” go on sale online starting Tuesday, March 4, at 9 a.m. PST.

http://www.thewrap.com/divergent-tracking-50-million-box-office-opening/

Let's say the first film is good, the sequel has the challenge of having Akiva 'Winter's Tale' Goldsman writing the screenplay with Robert 'RIPD' Schwentke directing.

Kevin Smith said it best: In Hollywood, you fail upwards.

Akiva Goldsman is only as good as the source material allows, as well as input from the director and producers. I don't think he's one of the worst writers out there, but he needs guidance or someone to rewrite his lines.

And as for Summit fast-tracking Insurgent, the production doesn't warrant a ton of visual effects but it's going to be a fast shoot. Wasn't the first Hunger Games shot on a very tight schedule too?

Speaking of the source material, Akiva destroyed the story of Winter's Tale and even added new elements like 'The Judge' character, so you're partially wrong. BUT he had too much freedom in the movie without the input of others, so there you go.

Speaking of the source material, Akiva destroyed the story of Winter's Tale and even added new elements like 'The Judge' character, so you're partially wrong. BUT he had too much freedom in the movie without the input of others, so there you go.

I wasn't saying he was a prolific and well-regarded screenwriter either (even though he does have an Oscar on his shelf) -- but his work is usually hit and miss. He exec-produced three Paranormal Activity movies, and his involvement didn't sink those.

And with that time crunch on Insurgent, it's possible he was brought in to bring the script down to a budget Summit can handle (even though his fee is pretty high). Like condensing scenes down and trimming unnecessary dialogue. Could be something pretty minor... and if his rewrites aren't significant, he won't be credited in the final film.

The only thing I want to know about this movie is how that one guy can punch out six people at the same time without actually hitting any of them.

That's some Dolemite-level fight choreography right there.

it's a simulation from his fears. the characters go into induced simulations of their worst fears to try and overcome them. some do, some do not

I haven't read any of the books but I hope this does decent enough only because I absolutely adore Woodley. She's extremely talented and deserves some success. Her and Teller were amazing in Spectacular Now. Worse comes to worst though, she at least has Fault in our Stars as well so hopefully that does good if this flops.

It's tracking to be a huge hit. If 'Fault' makes money too, it'll be a big year for Woodley.

Well actors can't look good all the time. lol

I thought your post was going to discuss the early reviews for the film which are mostly mixed to negative.

i was angry when spiderman fans were bashing her look. she is an attractive girl and she can act.

but here? someone needs to get fired. WTF did they do to her?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNHHd2b4Flo
Natural remedies? As in homeopathy? Disappointing but that's her personal life, not her acting ability or appearance.

Also sad to hear the movie is getting negative leaning reviews so far.

Also sad to hear the movie is getting negative leaning reviews so far.
Critics are often too harsh on genre fair just like fans are often too easy on it. So yeah didn't expect really good reviews in the first place.

I actually read most of them and none of them are saying it's unwatchable or anything. One review gave it a B- so that's a postive one though not overly so of course. Most seem fine with the acting as I suspected they would be but I don't know, some of my fears about the film are brought up in the reviews. Pop songs are played during certain moments, the world seems unconvincing, not enough emotional investment in the proceedings. I'm going to wait for even more reviews to see how things sus out overall of course.

Let's say the first film is good, the sequel has the challenge of having Akiva 'Winter's Tale' Goldsman writing the screenplay with Robert 'RIPD' Schwentke directing.

Kevin Smith said it best: In Hollywood, you fail upwards.
To be fair, Schwentke was involved in RED, and I enjoyed that movie a lot. Also, Goldsman has been involved in some good to great films:

A Time to Kill.
A Beautiful Mind.
Cinderella Man.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
etc.

So it's not like all his work has been crap.

i got movie money when i bought the Catching Fire steelbooks so i will be seeing this for free :up:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"