DmC: Devil May Cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact of the matter is. If DmC fails in sales, Capcom will most likely retire the franchise. If it succeeds, this new DMC universe continues. So either way, the old DMC series ends forever. Just because DmC fails, doesn't mean we get the old stuff back.
Capcom can just end up trolling DMC fans the way they have with the MM franchise. Maybe ******** fans will prefer that instead

Meh, what else can you really do with the old series?

I like the Devil May Cry series but its not perfect. The second game was a disappointment.

Dante has very little character development. Very little actually happens in the games.

I liked the idea of a more involved story featuring Dante.

I don't know, I think this game is a great adaptation of the classic series. Sure there are things I miss, I miss the Japanese style, the fact that it used to feel more Japanese stylised fantasy than it does now, I loved that the character of Dante was older and more experienced...

But in my mind, even though I loved those things, they in no way cancel out this game. In fact, there are many things this game does much better than the original and I'm sure over time, this new DMC will end up feeling more like the authentic DMC experience than the original.

For one thing, this new games presentation and art direction is just beatiful. I couldn't connect with it from the outset, based on the demo and gameplay videos because the world seemed to 'vague' and it reminded me way too much of the Constantine movie.

But from actually playing the game, the whole art direction of Limbo is amazing. It's basically like if you took Devil May Cry, slapped a gritty, punk coat of paint on it and then put it in the Inception dream world. The way the world will fold in on itself and change itself just looks so damn good and I find the dream scapes end up being a hell of a lot more appealing than the weird world of the original.

Also, regarding Dante himself, whilst I preferred the older, more mature White haired Dante, who's cockiness came from experience and skill rather than 'street attitude', I feel like they're really taking their time to show you this new Dante with the full intent to develop him as we go on. I think this game is an origin more than a reboot and for that, I am truly grateful, because the original Devil May Cry sometimes got so damn convoluted that even reading a wikipedia article on the story could give you a headache.

But agreed, anyone wishing this game or any game to fail out of spite has no place calling themselves a gamer. If you've got the energy for bile and hatred, then you're clearly not exerting any actual energy playing games. People like that piss me off to the Nth degree. I feel like they only adopt hobbies like games or comics or films so they can establish an identity, not out of any real passion or enjoyment. It's a social prop for them to wear as a badge in parties or, probably more often, internet forums.

Well said.

I also think the actor who's doing the voice work for Dante (I think he may be doing the mo cap work for the cutscenes too) is doing one hell of a job. The acting in this is damn good.

I agree. I think he's great. He's got attitude but it feels understated rather than the 'Shadow the Hedgehog' vibe I was worried it would be.

I liked the scene with the succubus where he says "F**k you" and she says "F**k YOU!" and they bicker back and forth for a while. It felt so odd and funny :p

The writing is pretty good too. I'm glad Alex Garland wrote this as well, I thought what he did with Enslaved was great.

The writing in this is excellent. Especially the dialogue.

I'm still early in but you can really see how well everything comes together by the exchanges between the characters. When Dante meets Vergil the acting is just beyond superb. Inflection, gestures, and the dialogue itself are all very finely tuned and most important of all it feels organic.

I haven't gotten up to the part that you've mentioned (still early out in the game) but so far I'm really impressed from what I've seen. I really like Garland as a writer too.

Speaking of motion capture and acting...in the video sequences this game manages to show something I've rarely, if ever, seen conveyed superbly in a game: subtly. There are slight motions and facial expressions that convey so much character and often times make me crack up because Dante is so sarcastic. It's extremely well done.

Hey Wolvieboy17...that "F**K YOU!"...."pff, f**k you"..."F**K YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBLAAAARGH" part always cracks me up too :D

Last edited:
Hahaha yeah, that scene actually made me feel the MOST like I was playing a Devil May Cry game. I loved that whole boss fight just because of the secquence leading up to it. When Dante introduced himself as 'Dante the Demon Killer' I felt like I was playing as a younger version of classic Dante. It was great, the spirit of the original games is definitely there.

Speaking of motion capture and acting...in the video sequences this game manages to show something I've rarely, if ever, seen conveyed superbly in a game: subtly. There are slight motions and facial expressions that convey so much character and often times make me crack up because Dante is so sarcastic. It's extremely well done.

Hey Wolvieboy17...that "F**K YOU!"...."pff, f**k you"..."F**K YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBLAAAARGH" part always cracks me up too :D
Yes, yes, yes!

That's what I have found so damn captivating about it. Those little things really make all the difference. The fact that I was expecting to dislike everything about this game but I pretty much immediately liked Dante the minute he opened his mouth and started showing his personality really does say something about the quality of the game.

He's got the smooth yet flippant personality that's likeable. That's not something that always executed correctly but it works so well here. That joke that he throws at Kat when he says that he likes it rough is so perfect. He slightly tilts his head and knows he freaking knows she's digging him.

Most characters could do that and seem like a complete jerk but the actor playing Dante really just sells it to us in a way that it doesn't perturb.

Keep talking. Sales baby. The failure will be of THQ udraw proportions.

Dude, you're an idiot.

As for what the rest of you guys are saying, i couldnt agree more. Iv never been sucked into a DMC story the way i have with this. Maybe the origin of this new Dante and world intrigues me more, or could very well be that i just enjoy the world Team Ninja has created far more than i did the old stuff, but i find myself captivated by whats going on far more than what i thought i would. This version of Dante, the look, the mannerisms(which arent really new to the character) is quickly becoming one of my fav characters out there and i think its due in large part to what you guys mentioned. The actor and the subtly that he's able to portray. I just feel sorry for those old DMC "fans" who cant put their blind rage aside and see what this new spin on a classic series is really all about.

Last edited:
I think that first time you see Dante back flip in slow motion while getting dressed immediately sold me on the character. I mean that whole scene seemed like something that SHOULD have been very 'try hard' but it just came across as so damn cool. They really sold it well.

I think that first time you see Dante back flip in slow motion while getting dressed immediately sold me on the character. I mean that whole scene seemed like something that SHOULD have been very 'try hard' but it just came across as so damn cool. They really sold it well.

Yea theres been a few times in this game where i felt that i should be rolling my eyes, but instead they're just fixated on whats transpiring in front of me. I havent had anything other than a smile on my face since i first popped the disc into the tray.

I have not played it. Because my reasons for disliking it are outside of gameplay. I acknowledge that the actual gameplay does look good. But the DMC series had more things that appealed to me other than gameplay. I know saying you dislike a game without having played it makes your argument moot. But as I said. it's an art thing. But I'm not trying to argue anyway.

I'm in the same boat. I admit the gameplay is good, even if not on-par with DMC4. The set pieces are actually really great. But I simply don't like the rest of the world NT created and the characters that inhabit it. And the other stuff that most here like, I absolutely loath. Like the whole "F**k you!" back and forth with the Succubus. I guess I simply expected a 1200 year old Demon to not behave like utter gutter trash.

Oh well, whether this game sells or doesn't, old Devil May Cry is dead. I guess I'll go back to the HD collection.

...the club level...I'm having trouble trying to find the right words to describe how much I freaking love the environment of this stage...I think Patches O'Houlihan from the movie Dodgeball might have said it best: "Oh my sweet dick, it's magic!"

Last edited:
...the club level...I'm having trouble trying to find the right words to describe how much I freaking love the environment of this stage...I think Patches O'Houlihan from the movie Dodgeball might have said it best: "my sweet dick, it's magic!"

LOL. Couldn't agree more. Love the swagger Dante has. So badass.

"Your turn Barbie"

Last edited:
And the other stuff that most here like, I absolutely loath. Like the whole "F**k you!" back and forth with the Succubus. I guess I simply expected a 1200 year old Demon to not behave like utter gutter trash.

Its not that bad, at all. You wouldnt have a problem with it had the exact same lines been said in the old games. Like most old DMC "fans", your problem lies with the fact this Dante is saying these things in this game. Had he of come out with the long white hair, the red coat, same VA etc this would all be a moot issue.

Last edited:
@Nathan, sure it's a 1200 year old Demon but it's a demon that lives in a sewer and just spews bile into a water supply.. It's not a wise or experienced demon we're talking about. It talks like gutter trash because that's what it is, figuratively and literally.

Played it. Beat it. Loved it. Love you old Dante, but new Dante is just as bad ass, and I hope this version gets sequels. Ha, and to think I was so upset when this game was first announced, haha

Its not that bad, at all. You wouldnt have a problem with it had the exact same lines been said in the old games. Like most old DMC "fans", your problem lies with the fact this Dante is saying these things in this game. Had he of come out with the long white hair, the red coat, same VA etc this would all be a moot issue.

Sparda would still be a gimp, Vergil would still be an opportunistic jerk, Dante would still be a irritating, Mundus would still be a far cry from his DMC epicness. I don't just dislike it because of the changes to the main character, but all the changes around him as well. If my biggest issue would be his appearance, I'd already be out and buying the game, because I know I can unlock the DMC3 skin.

Nathan, I know you're also a big fan of Japanese games and their use of stylised fantasy and violence, so part of the problem is probably just the fact that this is a Western version of the series, which is fair enough. But that said, as far as western ventures into a Japanese series, I think this would be one of the most successful adaptations.

Anyone else get reminded of this when fighting the Succubus :D:

Slurm-queen.png

Anyone else get reminded of this when fighting the Succubus :D:

Slurm-queen.png
So that's what my brother meant by his question about Futurama
Didn't watch the episode, but I was reminded by the energy drink episode from X-Men Evolution instead

LOL. I thought the exact same thing. I was like these demons are making Slurm.

She made me think of the weird fat monster librarian thing in the Blade movie

Just finished the game and it was incredible from start to finish. The final stage was awesome. Was disappointed in the length of the game tho, but only because i just wanted more.

Seeing the start of this Dante and Vergil rivalry is epic. Its also pretty neat to see Dante get that white hair.

Really hope NT gets to create more within this DmC world. They have deff earned the right to.

Also, does anyone know the parameters for unlocking various outfits? Spoiler tag em if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"