Do you believe in a higher power/God?

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by spike spiegel, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint

Saint The Devil's Robot

No. Making people slaves for life, selling your children into slavery, physical abuse of those slaves--it's all expressly permitted in the Bible. Sounds pretty much the same to me. As if slaves being "treated well" would justify that command, anyway. "Be nice to the guy who bought you!" What? There is no condition under which that is not insane and evil, because in every instance we are talking about the ownership of human beings.

2. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

Slavery is awesome, if it is essentially consensual and features a lot of latex.

Saint is right, though. Slavery as a concept in the Roman Orient (and under the domination of the Egyptians, Babylonians and Assyrians before) is slavery in its entirety, with the owner having complete power of life and death over his slave. This should not be confused with types of slavery existing in the early medieval world, where slaves could have a degree of legal protection (see law codes of King Alfred of the Anglo-Saxons), or the later concept of serfdom.

3. The Senator

The Senator Registered

Did you get that in the same email which said Barack Obama is a secret Muslim terrorist and that gays are going to push for bestiality and legalized pedophilia?

4. gogetter0587

gogetter0587 Registered

Seriously where does this come from?

5. The Senator

The Senator Registered

I ask, because EVERY email which seems to come from Christian conservative movements exaggerate the facts to the point of hilarious absurdity.

6. gogetter0587

gogetter0587 Registered

It just comes across at an attack on me when you post things like that.

The only thing in my post about that which could have been faulty is the date of it being up in congress again. Then you post something like that.

7. The Senator

The Senator Registered

In your mind, it does. Everyone else has an idea of what I was referring to.

8. The Senator

The Senator Registered

The idea that Congress is pushing to require religious institutions, including hospitals, to perform abortions is faulty as well. But hey, that's what the Christian right does, it makes up lies in order to advance its cause.

9. gogetter0587

gogetter0587 Registered

Is anyone else reading this?

Seriously someone else please read the last 15 posts and explain to me how this is warranted?

Be sure to read such things as grain of salt and

and Barack Obama being muslim.

10. The Senator

The Senator Registered

You act as if I am attacking YOU. I am attacking the lies spread in that email while comparing it to other nonsensical garbage spread by the Christian right.

11. gogetter0587

gogetter0587 Registered

Attacking an email i got and saying that i probably also get emails with such things as Obama being a muslim and Gays pushing bestiailty , no thats not directed at me at all

Yeah Wikipedia.com is a Christian right source that makes up lies in order to advance its cause.

Again acting as if what i posted was inaccurate. You have no basis for this whatsoever. So yes again is still an attack on me.

12. The Senator

The Senator Registered

That's not an attack on you at all. That is an attack on the email culture of the Christian right.

No, but the Christian right can contribute to Wikipedia and insert its lies into any article it wants to advance its cause.

But it is inaccurate. This bill will never have a chance of passing committee with the language it currently has, let alone being voted on by the full floor of the House and Senate. To act as if this is something to worry about is absurd, but the Christian right forces people to worry about these sorts of things in order to advance its radical causes.

13. gogetter0587

gogetter0587 Registered

Just because it wont pass with the language it currently has does not mean as you described it is inaccurate information set out to scare christians into action.

14. The Original Bamfer

The Original Bamfer Big, Bald and Beautiful

I understand that this is a very serious, very heated topic. But if it can't be discussed respectfully, then perhaps it shouldn't be discussed at all.

15. Mister J

Mister J Whatever It Takes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.