Does Marvel own the film rights to the likes of Nova, Drax, Thanos, Sentry, etc....

AVEITWITHJAMON

Badass Cloud
Reaction score
......and all of the characters of that ilk. As some of them would/could make for great movies IMO, especially Nova and Drax The Destroyer. There is some definate untapped potential on the big screen for these character and I wonder if Marvel intends to introduce them in film one day. For example, Annihilation would be awesome to see on the big screen.

What does everyone think?

Annhilition would be cool. Nova is really really similar origin-wise to Green Lantern which is coming out soon though (hopefully).

Nova could be cool. Space epics are well epic but dangerous gamble for most studios.

......and all of the characters of that ilk. As some of them would/could make for great movies IMO, especially Nova and Drax The Destroyer. There is some definate untapped potential on the big screen for these character and I wonder if Marvel intends to introduce them in film one day. For example, Annihilation would be awesome to see on the big screen.

What does everyone think?

Anni would indeed be awesome onscreen but you might have to alter the story and present it only from Nova's pov but if you're talking the full Anni event, you then risk liscensing problems with FOX. You'd have to include Silver Surfer and Galactus in that mix and as far as I know, they're owned by FOX.

You'd have to include Silver Surfer and Galactus in that mix and as far as I know, they're owned by FOX.
Not really. Just alter those elements into different characters or ignore it completely.

Movie adaptions rarely are extremely faithful rendering of what happens in the books so a little tinkering woudn't hurt it. There's more then enough to write about in Annihilation with the other players to pick up the slack.

Not really. Just alter those elements into different characters or ignore it completely.

Movie adaptions rarely are extremely faithful rendering of what happens in the books so a little tinkering woudn't hurt it. There's more then enough to write about in Annihilation with the other players to pick up the slack.

Yes, I did say you'd have to alter the story.

would Rocket Raccoon be the Jar Jar element? uh oh...

on a side note, since no one is using Pulsar/Monica Marvel, she should be included on any team, her powers are conducive to space combat very nicely, very versatile..

Anni would indeed be awesome onscreen but you might have to alter the story and present it only from Nova's pov but if you're talking the full Anni event, you then risk liscensing problems with FOX. You'd have to include Silver Surfer and Galactus in that mix and as far as I know, they're owned by FOX.

I believe if Fox dont make an FF/SS movie by 2011, they lose the right to the franchise to Marvel, so we might get a proper Anni movie by around 2015.

I believe if Fox dont make an FF/SS movie by 2011, they lose the right to the franchise to Marvel, so we might get a proper Anni movie by around 2015.

I really hope that would happen.

Same here.

You have to remember that it's Fox though, they'll probably surprise announce some bull **** project with those characters in 2010 just to keep the rights.

It would be great, not too bothered about the FF, but I'm a BIG Surfer fan.

Same here.

You have to remember that it's Fox though, they'll probably surprise announce some bull **** project with those characters in 2010 just to keep the rights.

It wouldnt surprise me, considering how sleazily they operate, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Same here.

They already have shown interest in a DD sequel and a Silver Surfer project. Though both projects have shown no movement for months.

It wouldn't surprise me if they will make new movies to keep the properties from Marvel.

^Lets hope they dont get to make either so the rights revert back to Marvel, saying hat, I personally dont think Marvel have been handling things too well of late.

Better than Fox, yes, but their dealings with actors and directors havent been the best, especially since Iron Man was released.

Just watching Riddick last night I find Drax in Annihilation very similar to Riddick in look and especially weapon choice. Maybe Vin Diesal would make a good Drax in a movie some day?

Also, David Twohy would be a good director for an Annihilation adaptation.

I think they would have Sentry and characters like that (since he's mostly known for being in New Avengers anymore). However, if FOX own the rights to Galactus and the Surfer, then I'm going to say FOX owns Nova, Thanos, and other Cosmic characters like that, since many of the Cosmic beings were first introduced and are strongly prominant in FF/SS books.

^I dont think they own Nova, Thanos, etc as they have no reason to. Nove has his own run now and Thanos has in the past, Drax i'm not sure about.

Thanos may have been introduced in Iron Man and fought the Avengers, but I do think his run ins with the Surfer and other Cosmic stories make him probably FOX property. Just like I'm sure Eternity, Infinity, the Watcher, etc are all FOX since they have strong presence in the SS/FF world. That would be my first instinct.

Since when does Fox own Nova? Did he originate in Silver Surfer or something?

I love Nova and would love to see a movie. It would probably be expensive though.

If their antics involving Iron Man II are anything typical, I hope they don't!

Better than Fox, yes, but their dealings with actors and directors havent been the best, especially since Iron Man was released.
Marvel's relationship with actors and directors are better then Fox as well.

Thanos may have been introduced in Iron Man and fought the Avengers, but I do think his run ins with the Surfer and other Cosmic stories make him probably FOX property. Just like I'm sure Eternity, Infinity, the Watcher, etc are all FOX since they have strong presence in the SS/FF world. That would be my first instinct.

Just because they own SS/FF doesnt mean they own Drax, Nova, Thanos, etc. Sony owned Spiderman but New Line owned Morbius at one point, so it could be something like that.

Since when does Fox own Nova? Did he originate in Silver Surfer or something?

I love Nova and would love to see a movie. It would probably be expensive though.

I doubt they own Nova, heavily, Annhilus maybe, but not Nova. And yeah a movie about him would be amazing.

Marvel's relationship with actors and directors are better then Fox as well.

Not recently it hasnt has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"