Days of Future Past DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
we also don't get Captain America 2 until May 2. Disney could be planning something here

Looks like we're gonna get 3 Marvel films 2 weeks apart. Ridiculous scheduling

Sony and Disney made special arrangements for their films. Disney have a stake in the merchandise.

as I posted, X3 adjusted domestic numbers are 290. So no way DOFP will do just 200.

DOFP will do more than 300 on USA, be sure about that.

I'm not sure about it.

But as long as it outgrosses X3's unadjusted domestic/ww box-office numbers, I'd be content!

Last edited:
I don't think 250-290m domestic is really underestimating though. That's giving it alot of credit for being a popular hit with audiences.
Especially when half the cast has been gone for 8 years.

Yup!

And I do think if DOFp gets 250 million at domestic b.o., I'm pretty sure the follow-up for it like X-Men 5 will earn more.

DOFP is mostly about getting the momentum again of this franchise.

250 Million domesticly would allow them to be able to say DOFP Is most sucessful X-Men film and would be better than non Robert Downey JR MS films so far.And would say GA wanted to see return of most OT cast.

even In comics having wolverine as member of X-Men tends to sell better than his solo stories.

Not most successful

but top-grossing

It will definitely reverse the downwards trend in the US but at work (i work for a marketing firm, im in a department that partly analyse the box office potential of films that could appeal to kids in order for companies to plan when and where they place and broadcast ads eg we were partly responsible for the ammount of girls toys ads on CN during the first weekend of the avengers) we have DOFP doing $200 mill in the US and $275-325 mil internationally. The film needs to make about $800 mil to truly justify Fox's plans to expand the universe. Anyway part of the reason I'm here is to find out more about this film, 2014 is one the first times we've been able to know what's gonna be in the top ten highest grossing films of the year months in advance, but we're stuck on giving the last 2 spots to Captain America, Xmen, The Good Dinosaur and 2 dreamworks films Peabody and Mr Sherman and Home. We're waiting until November after Thors box office, if it comes over $750 mil the last spots of 2014 is going to be between Peabody, Cap and Dinosaur.

Just curious, are you able to tell us which films your company got so far for the Top 10? You mentioned you are 2 shy of your Top 10, which films do you have so far?

In my opinion, the top 10 grossing films of 2014 will consists of

1. Mocking Jay 1
2. There and Back Again
3. X-Men 4: Days of Future Past
4. Trans4mers
5. Amazing Spider-Man 2
6. How 2 Train Your Dragon
7. The Good Dinosaur
8. Interstellar
9. Fast 7
10. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

as I posted, X3 adjusted domestic numbers are 290. So no way DOFP will do just 200.

X3 was 7-8 years ago, you can't assume that the general audience is just as interested in the franchise now as it was back then. Especially when the whole CBM landscape has grown and changed so dramatically in the last few years.

This will need to be seen as an 'event movie', like Avengers, Avatar, Dark Knight, etc.

If I hear my manager at work talk about DoFP, then I'll know it really has been turned into an event movie ;) She doesn't care about CBMs or big action blockbusters, but had seen all of the above.

And really, 'event movie' is only an event after it's been super-successful and made piles of money and lots of noise.

Last edited:
Just curious, are you able to tell us which films your company got so far for the Top 10? You mentioned you are 2 shy of your Top 10, which films do you have so far?

In no particular order it's
Hobbit
Minions
Hunger games
Spidey
Fast 7
Transformers
How to train
Interstellar

And the two were not certain yet are Xmen, Cap Am, Mr Peabody and Sherman, home, and Pixars Good Dinosaur.
EDIT we were gonna add "all you need is kill." But we think 2014s BO will be so huge that whilst certain films make money, they won't make the list

Last edited:
How can X-Men break 1billion when a film hasn't even come 3/4 of that way. Sure it has the best chance of being the top X-Men film but 1billion is unlikely.

^The same thing could have been said before Avengers premièred. Not saying it will or won't but it's possible.

I said this in another thread, but what Superman can or can't do at the Box Office isn't an indication of what other properties can do.

That's because "Superman is the first & most recognisable in the world" is an old paradigm. The GA doesn't care what hardcore comic fans deem an A-list or Z-list heros.

X3's numbers adjusted are something like $310m US / $610m WW (doesn't account for ex[anded overseas markets). So technically the audience is there they "just" have to be won back. No easy task I know, but if Singer delivers...

glad to read another positive comment on here. The audience is there, and more after Acengers success, the world is more supportive to big comic book than ever, so Dofp will benefit from it

If I hear my manager at work talk about DoFP, then I'll know it really has been turned into an event movie ;) She doesn't care about CBMs or big action blockbusters, but had seen all of the above.

That is exactly it. This film has to be seen as unmissable by the general public, not by fanboys. That's especially true now that Marvel has nabbed a good chunk of the fanboy audience, a situation that didn't exist in 2006 when The Last Stand came out.

In fact, I heard that the controversial elements of The Last Stand (characters being killed and cured) caused such upset with Marvel that it contemplated trying to legally reclaim the rights and that the film was also a big factor in Marvel deciding to make its own movies.

And really, 'event movie' is only an event after it's been super-successful and made piles of money and lots of noise.

I'm not so sure. It was pretty obvious that Avengers, Avatar and Dark Knight would be massive. Dark Knight had a hysterical level of interest. I heard tales from an American co-worker here in the UK about how her friends sprinted through the streets to get in line to see it, and the lines that went on for several blocks even in the middle of the night.

Avatar generated the longest queues I've ever seen at what was then my nearest IMAX cinema (and is now a digital giant screen, not IMAX). It was the biggest earner that cinema has ever had.

And when I saw Avengers at a screening for press and bloggers, it was like being at a sports game with all the cheering, clapping and leaping in the air (which does not normally happen at UK screenings).

I'd say that Dark Knight and Avatar have stood the test of time as event movies, though seeing Avatar at home does not match the 3D experience on a big screen. Not so sure Avengers is still a must-see 'event movie', but it was then.

Last edited:
I'd say that Dark Knight and Avatar have stood the test of time as event movies, though seeing Avatar at home does not match the 3D experience on a big screen. Not so sure Avengers is still a must-see 'event movie', but it was then.

I don't see how Avengers isn't still a must see event. Its the biggest comic film, under 5 years old and the only real crossover event we have had.

I know very few people who would pick Avatar over Dark Knight or Avengers. I guess that's subjective, but everyone I know talks massive **** on Avatar now as well as alot of internet movie fans. Same with the 3D. The Hype on that one was huge but now people want Cameron on Battle Angel more then Avatar sequels from what I've seen.

Last edited:
I don't see how Avengers isn't still a must see event. Its the biggest comic film, under 5 years old and the only real crossover event we have had.

I know very few people who would pick Avatar over Dark Knight or Avengers. I guess that's subjective, but everyone I know talks massive **** on Avatar now as well as alot of internet movie fans. Same with the 3D. The Hype on that one was huge but now people want Cameron on Battle Angel more then Avatar sequels from what I've seen.
Im in the minority but I didnt care for Avengers, but i am anxious to see the new one coming out.

There will always be people who prefer one to the other. No matter how well liked a film. Not denying that. I just have yet to encounter Avatar fans haha

People will always see Avengers as an event film for years to come. Even if you don't like it, it did something no other film has done and combined multiple characters from films into one after building for years. Thats' a big deal and why they call it a crossover event. Only film out there like it... at the moment.

DOFP and World Finest are gonna be the next two to be placed in that category.

Last edited:
There will always be people who prefer one to the other. No matter how well liked a film. Not denying that. I just have yet to encounter Avatar fans haha

People will always see Avengers as an event film for years to come. Even if you don't like it, it did something no other film has done and combined multiple characters from films into one after building for years. Thats' a big deal and why they call it a crossover event. Only film out there like it... at the moment.

DOFP and World Finest are gonna be the next two to be placed in that category.
Sadly i still havent seen Avatar. Im hoping DOFP can accomplish alot when it is unleashed upon us.

To me Avengers doesn't feel as fresh, it doesn't have quite the same magic, partly because the Marvel movie machine keeps on churning the films out.

Avatar has never had fanboys or a fanbase because it's not an existing property derived from other media like comics, games, toys etc. That's why the Marvelites sit there and rip it apart and there's no great army of people defending it. There's never been an Avatar army, it didn't exist anywhere before that movie.

And those Marvelites (the worst of the fanboys) rip anything apart that isn't from Marvel Studios - their behaviour patterns are blatantly obvious and far from mysterious lol. Their responses are very predictable and very hateful and a reason I steer clear of certain sites and comment sections.

The 'people' who want Battle Angel are these same fanboys - and that's because it's a comic book series. The general public aren't necessarily clamouring for it.

Avatar has never had fanboys or a fanbase because it's not an existing property derived from other media like comics, games, toys etc. That's why the Marvelites sit there and rip it apart and there's no great army of people defending it. There's never been an Avatar army, it didn't exist anywhere before that movie.

I thought it had a strong fanbase and hype before it's release. Directors like Cameron and Nolan seem to carry their fan base from movies, and since it was his first movie for awhile it got alot of hype just based on that.

I just didn't see as much of a strong following after. Or demand for a sequel. Be it an army of followers or just general movie talk with friends or classmates. The reception of it seems non existent to me even outside the net post release.

With Battle Angel having a strong following I get that the geek crowd is anticipating it, but I think it also just sounds like a cooler idea then Avatar for movie fans who havn't read the manga or anime. Robots and James Cameron have worked out pretty well. Plus Cameron has been talking about it forever. For the highest grosing film of all time I thought there would be a lil bit more hype for an Avatar follow up. Or 3 in this case.

Last edited:
I wonder how a James Cameron X-Men movie would do.

probably 1.5 billion or so, even if the movie is worse than X3, lol.

But at least the effects would be pretty epic, and that would be a strong factor, I guess.

It would make alot! That number probably wouldn't be far off Angamb.

maybe, hehe.

I wonder too if he would have put the X-Men on space giving the movie a more cosmic/epic/adventure vibe.

just to see that Id love to live in an alternate realitity, just during some months, lol

According to Claremont awhile back...

http://screenrant.com/james-cameron-xmen-bob-hoskins-wolverine-angela-bassett-storm-benm-161304/

“James Cameron, Bob Hoskins, Angela Bassett — ahhh. Fanboy heaven. I would have been happy as a clam.

“Just think about this for a minute: James Cameron’s X-Men. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow. That’s what we were playing.”

"And they start talking. And talking. And talking. About 20 minutes later, all the Lightstorm guys and I are looking at each other, and we all know the X-Men deal has just evaporated. Kathryn goes off and writes a screen treatment for X-Men that was eaten alive by all the idiots who have a piece of Spider-Man because Marvel during its evolution has sold off the rights time and time and time again. To Carolco. To Universal. To this, to that. To Fox. It was just a nightmare.”

Angela Basset as Storm would have been cool. Not sure about Hoskins as Wolverine. Bigelow is a great Director though. Loved Strange Days.

Last edited:
In early 1990's James Cameron was going to produce an X-Men film for carolco.
Reportly It would have focued on Kitty and through her be introudced to X-Men and world of mutants with Xavier and exsisting line up of Cyclops,Marvel girl,
Wolverine,and Nightcrawler.it was suspose to have an original villain with Mastermind as traiter to X-Men.

Avatar was much more an event.It wasn't overly hyped besides being Camern's return to film directing since Titanic.It's sucess started the 3-d craze.

X-Men best stories deal with rasicm or tollerance themes underneath.Not cosmic and space stuff.with comic since you have 12 Issues a year you can do a cosmic or space story but it won't depart too long but a film just about cosmic and space would be a mistake.

The best X-Men stories revolve around alot of things and well written characters. Most of the themes are heavily built in. It's impossible to ignore them. They make it better and deeper yes. But just cause it deals with those issues isn't an excuse to ditch the other stuff or those sci fi things that can be explored. Those are apart of X-Men as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"