DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Angamb, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green Goblin

Sony and Disney made special arrangements for their films. Disney have a stake in the merchandise.

2. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I'm not sure about it.

But as long as it outgrosses X3's unadjusted domestic/ww box-office numbers, I'd be content!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. psylockolussus

Yup!

And I do think if DOFp gets 250 million at domestic b.o., I'm pretty sure the follow-up for it like X-Men 5 will earn more.

DOFP is mostly about getting the momentum again of this franchise.

Not most successful

but top-grossing

4. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Just curious, are you able to tell us which films your company got so far for the Top 10? You mentioned you are 2 shy of your Top 10, which films do you have so far?

5. psylockolussus

In my opinion, the top 10 grossing films of 2014 will consists of

1. Mocking Jay 1
    2. There and Back Again
    3. X-Men 4: Days of Future Past
    4. Trans4mers
    5. Amazing Spider-Man 2
    6. How 2 Train Your Dragon
    7. The Good Dinosaur
    8. Interstellar
    9. Fast 7
    10. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

6. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Well-Known Member

X3 was 7-8 years ago, you can't assume that the general audience is just as interested in the franchise now as it was back then. Especially when the whole CBM landscape has grown and changed so dramatically in the last few years.

If I hear my manager at work talk about DoFP, then I'll know it really has been turned into an event movie ;) She doesn't care about CBMs or big action blockbusters, but had seen all of the above.

And really, 'event movie' is only an event after it's been super-successful and made piles of money and lots of noise.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  7. GenUsername

GenUsername Well-Known Member

In no particular order it's
    Hobbit
    Minions
    Hunger games
    Spidey
    Fast 7
    Transformers
    How to train
    Interstellar

And the two were not certain yet are Xmen, Cap Am, Mr Peabody and Sherman, home, and Pixars Good Dinosaur.
    EDIT we were gonna add "all you need is kill." But we think 2014s BO will be so huge that whilst certain films make money, they won't make the list

8. Green Goblin

How can X-Men break 1billion when a film hasn't even come 3/4 of that way. Sure it has the best chance of being the top X-Men film but 1billion is unlikely.

9. jaymes_e06

jaymes_e06 Well-Known Member

^The same thing could have been said before Avengers premièred. Not saying it will or won't but it's possible.

10. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

glad to read another positive comment on here. The audience is there, and more after Acengers success, the world is more supportive to big comic book than ever, so Dofp will benefit from it

11. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

That is exactly it. This film has to be seen as unmissable by the general public, not by fanboys. That's especially true now that Marvel has nabbed a good chunk of the fanboy audience, a situation that didn't exist in 2006 when The Last Stand came out.

In fact, I heard that the controversial elements of The Last Stand (characters being killed and cured) caused such upset with Marvel that it contemplated trying to legally reclaim the rights and that the film was also a big factor in Marvel deciding to make its own movies.

I'm not so sure. It was pretty obvious that Avengers, Avatar and Dark Knight would be massive. Dark Knight had a hysterical level of interest. I heard tales from an American co-worker here in the UK about how her friends sprinted through the streets to get in line to see it, and the lines that went on for several blocks even in the middle of the night.

Avatar generated the longest queues I've ever seen at what was then my nearest IMAX cinema (and is now a digital giant screen, not IMAX). It was the biggest earner that cinema has ever had.

And when I saw Avengers at a screening for press and bloggers, it was like being at a sports game with all the cheering, clapping and leaping in the air (which does not normally happen at UK screenings).

I'd say that Dark Knight and Avatar have stood the test of time as event movies, though seeing Avatar at home does not match the 3D experience on a big screen. Not so sure Avengers is still a must-see 'event movie', but it was then.

12. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

I don't see how Avengers isn't still a must see event. Its the biggest comic film, under 5 years old and the only real crossover event we have had.

I know very few people who would pick Avatar over Dark Knight or Avengers. I guess that's subjective, but everyone I know talks massive **** on Avatar now as well as alot of internet movie fans. Same with the 3D. The Hype on that one was huge but now people want Cameron on Battle Angel more then Avatar sequels from what I've seen.

13. BeholdMe

BeholdMe Storm Disciple

Im in the minority but I didnt care for Avengers, but i am anxious to see the new one coming out.

14. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

There will always be people who prefer one to the other. No matter how well liked a film. Not denying that. I just have yet to encounter Avatar fans haha

People will always see Avengers as an event film for years to come. Even if you don't like it, it did something no other film has done and combined multiple characters from films into one after building for years. Thats' a big deal and why they call it a crossover event. Only film out there like it... at the moment.

DOFP and World Finest are gonna be the next two to be placed in that category.

15. BeholdMe

BeholdMe Storm Disciple

Sadly i still havent seen Avatar. Im hoping DOFP can accomplish alot when it is unleashed upon us.

16. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

It had me at Sentinels.

17. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

To me Avengers doesn't feel as fresh, it doesn't have quite the same magic, partly because the Marvel movie machine keeps on churning the films out.

Avatar has never had fanboys or a fanbase because it's not an existing property derived from other media like comics, games, toys etc. That's why the Marvelites sit there and rip it apart and there's no great army of people defending it. There's never been an Avatar army, it didn't exist anywhere before that movie.

And those Marvelites (the worst of the fanboys) rip anything apart that isn't from Marvel Studios - their behaviour patterns are blatantly obvious and far from mysterious lol. Their responses are very predictable and very hateful and a reason I steer clear of certain sites and comment sections.

The 'people' who want Battle Angel are these same fanboys - and that's because it's a comic book series. The general public aren't necessarily clamouring for it.

18. BeholdMe

BeholdMe Storm Disciple

Lol yes Im excited to see what they bring to the movie.

19. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

I thought it had a strong fanbase and hype before it's release. Directors like Cameron and Nolan seem to carry their fan base from movies, and since it was his first movie for awhile it got alot of hype just based on that.

I just didn't see as much of a strong following after. Or demand for a sequel. Be it an army of followers or just general movie talk with friends or classmates. The reception of it seems non existent to me even outside the net post release.

With Battle Angel having a strong following I get that the geek crowd is anticipating it, but I think it also just sounds like a cooler idea then Avatar for movie fans who havn't read the manga or anime. Robots and James Cameron have worked out pretty well. Plus Cameron has been talking about it forever. For the highest grosing film of all time I thought there would be a lil bit more hype for an Avatar follow up. Or 3 in this case.

20. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

I wonder how a James Cameron X-Men movie would do.

probably 1.5 billion or so, even if the movie is worse than X3, lol.

But at least the effects would be pretty epic, and that would be a strong factor, I guess.

21. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

It would make alot! That number probably wouldn't be far off Angamb.

22. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

maybe, hehe.

I wonder too if he would have put the X-Men on space giving the movie a more cosmic/epic/adventure vibe.

just to see that Id love to live in an alternate realitity, just during some months, lol

23. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

According to Claremont awhile back...

http://screenrant.com/james-cameron-xmen-bob-hoskins-wolverine-angela-bassett-storm-benm-161304/

Angela Basset as Storm would have been cool. Not sure about Hoskins as Wolverine. Bigelow is a great Director though. Loved Strange Days.

24. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

In early 1990's James Cameron was going to produce an X-Men film for carolco.
    Reportly It would have focued on Kitty and through her be introudced to X-Men and world of mutants with Xavier and exsisting line up of Cyclops,Marvel girl,
    Wolverine,and Nightcrawler.it was suspose to have an original villain with Mastermind as traiter to X-Men.

Avatar was much more an event.It wasn't overly hyped besides being Camern's return to film directing since Titanic.It's sucess started the 3-d craze.

X-Men best stories deal with rasicm or tollerance themes underneath.Not cosmic and space stuff.with comic since you have 12 Issues a year you can do a cosmic or space story but it won't depart too long but a film just about cosmic and space would be a mistake.

25. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

The best X-Men stories revolve around alot of things and well written characters. Most of the themes are heavily built in. It's impossible to ignore them. They make it better and deeper yes. But just cause it deals with those issues isn't an excuse to ditch the other stuff or those sci fi things that can be explored. Those are apart of X-Men as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.