Iron Man 2 Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its been probably said, but while I think Don Cheadle is a good actor, I just don't think the Rhodey/War Machine role is right for him. No disrespect but he, to me, just doesn't have that tough presence to him that the role requires. I tolerated Howard. He was ok but for some reason I just couldn't see him in the War Machine armor in the sequel. I was hoping he would prove me wrong but oh well. To me the best person that could play Rhodey/War Machine is that actor name Henry Simmons. He got the look, build, and presence.

I would've preferred Idris Elba from the Wire and 28 Weeks Later but Cheadle is an ok choice.

My point still stands. Like I said earlier they cast an age appropriate black guy both times. Neither looks like Rhodey from the comic books.

Well part of your point still stands. The part I wasn't arguing with. I never liked Howard for the part. Michael Jai White or Dennis Haysbert would both be closer to what the comic-book Rhodey looks like.

Which was the point of our little exchange. Some actors CAN look more or less like the comic book character.

Exactly. There's gotta be someone that looks like this.

James_Rhodes_001.jpg

Not that he has a chance of getting the role because Cheadle already has it, but what about Idris Elba.

EDIT: Someone already said it.

Last edited:
Never cared for Idris Elba. I didn't even know who that was till you brought up 28 weeks. He was on Lost for a while no? Never really watched that show. 28 weeks was horrible. He can't carry that role. You need a big time actor for this. Howard is a respectable name... Cheadle is a more than respectable name. It could have been a lot worse.

I like where you're going with Elba, but he'd need to bulk up. The more I think about it, the more M J White would seem to mix the look and demeanor better.

I really do think Cheadle can pull this off. He's got the acting chops plain and simple.

Of course, Wesley Snipes would do, but he's Blade ;)

Hmm, odd to see someone else in the role so quickly, but thems the breaks. I'm sure he'll be fine :im:

Well part of your point still stands. The part I wasn't arguing with. I never liked Howard for the part. Michael Jai White or Dennis Haysbert would both be closer to what the comic-book Rhodey looks like.

Which was the point of our little exchange. Some actors CAN look more or less like the comic book character.

The only way an actor really looks like a comic book character is when an artist draws a character to resemble an actor.

Will actors have certain things in common with the characters? Of course. But looking just like them? Nah. Not counting make up and f/x or course...

regarding the poll, i voted for the second option. i don't think all recasting sucks, but in this case, i wish they had tried harder in negotiating to keep Howard.

Ok, I hate recasts. But the character was barley seen in the first film LOL. Maybe people will be all like what? Who is this Guy? And than be all, Oh!!!! LOL.

Ok, I hate recasts. But the character was barley seen in the first film LOL

You just know Marvel will ask Jon to refilm the scenes where we see Howard & replace him with Don so they can super double dip

They should've gotten Will Smith. lol
lol
I really liked Terrence as War Machine. in an interview, he said that it was the thought of being WM that made him accept the role. so I thought he'd be in the sequel for sure.
I'm sad that he isn't coming back, but at least Cheadle is a good actor. I just hope that the chemestry between Terrence and Downey will work with Don, too.

My issue is honestly, they feel they can just recast Rhodey with a black actor, a good one he may be, and that it's perfectly interchangable. It doesn't matter to me, even if Howard wasn't vocally what I wanted, physically Rhodes is a big dude, bigger than Tony, and Cheadle will seriously have to bulk up to capture the comics version....all artists have drawn War Marchine as a big dude, not a skinny backpacker type.

My issue is honestly, they feel they can just recast Rhodey with a black actor, a good one he may be, and that it's perfectly interchangable. It doesn't matter to me, even if Howard wasn't vocally what I wanted, physically Rhodes is a big dude, bigger than Tony, and Cheadle will seriously have to bulk up to capture the comics version....all artists have drawn War Marchine as a big dude, not a skinny backpacker type.

It's possible he will bulk up but definitely not necessary. The movie has nothing to do with the comics.

Exactly. There's gotta be someone that looks like this.

James_Rhodes_001.jpg

I hate to say it, but when it comes to black characters, this is pretty much the norm. Lots of time & effort is put into finding actors who are right, both visually & performance-wise, for such roles as Professor X, JJJ, Betty Brant, Tony Stark, etc. They groom them & groom them, spend hours getting the makeup just right, they really work at it. But in what galaxy does Bill Nunn's fat butt look anything like Robbie? Halle Berry was a horrible choice for Storm, Morgan Freeman looks nothing like Lucius Fox, and neither Howard nor Cheadle look anything like Rhodey.

Common as War Machine...hmmm.... though I think he is better suited for Jon Stewart. I agree with Wallace though, they seem to not put much detail into the casting for black characters which is terrible. Though i do think Howard was a good look for War Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"