Gotham Donal Logue is Harvey Bullock

They really need to start redeeming Bullock somewhat. Either explain how he lost his way or have him come out of it somewhat.

FFS, we're three episodes in! He hasn't even really done anything terrible enough to need redemption. :

I disagree with the thread title. The Bullock I know is a hard as that would never let a crooked cop murder someone, let alone be a crooked cop that was an accessory to murder (as far as he knows). Don't care how they try to redeem him later, he deserves life in prison.

Last edited:
Yeah, around the time when I started reading a lot of comics and Bullock was featured, he was portrayed as a good cop who would use some questionable methods to get the bad guy. But he wasn't a dirty cop. Although I guess he was early on.

All in all, I feel like they've got the perfect actor for Bullock here but something still feels a little off. But maybe that's just because, like I said, the Bullock I'm used to is hardass with a heart of gold, not a sleazeball with some occasional redeeming qualities.

I disagree with the thread title. The Bullock I know is a hard as that would never let a crooked cop murder someone, let alone be a crooked cop that was an accessory to murder (as far as he knows). Don't care how they try to redeem him later, he deserves life in prison.

Disagree with the title all you want, it ain't changing. :o

FFS, we're three episodes in! He hasn't even really done anything terrible enough to need redemption. :

It's not about redemption for redemption sake. I don't buy that Gordon would work with someone who openly talks about how corrupt he is. He should be asking for a new partner.

He openly was going to let the Balloonman die as if it's his job to be an executioner. Not because Falcone told him to, it was his own choice.

I would assume Gordon has some begrudging respect for Harvey and hasn't asked for a different partner but I couldn't tell you what that respect is based on.

I'm liking this particular version of Bullock, who is sort of in a morally gray territory, yet he is not a bad person, the way he acts is just his way of functioning in a corrupt City like Gotham.

I think they will keep it blurry on how corrupt is he as long as they can. So far by Gotham standards he looks to be relativity clean.

It's not about redemption for redemption sake. I don't buy that Gordon would work with someone who openly talks about how corrupt he is. He should be asking for a new partner.

He openly was going to let the Balloonman die as if it's his job to be an executioner. Not because Falcone told him to, it was his own choice.

I would assume Gordon has some begrudging respect for Harvey and hasn't asked for a different partner but I couldn't tell you what that respect is based on.

Given how corrupt the GPD has proven to be, is there any indication that a new partner would be any different? Besides, as the new guy, Gordon probably doesn't want to be seen by his superiors as a nuisance.

I thought he complained about Bullock in the first episode and his superior ignored him.

Hopefully the writers will stop having to spell it out for the audience that he's corrupt. The audience gets it. Its a culture in which what is done becomes par for the course so its not like there needs to be a proclamation about it all the time. But I think they'll stop that eventually, and realize that the audience gets the idea , without having to have dialog reminding them of the ethics of the officers when we can clearly see it with our own eyes.

I do think there's something weird going on with his character arc. I mean, at the end of the pilot, he was just starting to show his soft side. You saw how reluctant he was to be involved in all this, and how it was agony for him to put Jim in that position...and then next episode he's an a-hole again. It's so abrupt it feels like he became a completely different person between episodes, like the guy before never even existed.

Also, they seem to go back and forth on what exactly his character flaw is. Sometimes he's just corrupt, other times he's okay with corrupt officials getting killed, other times he's just lazy and doesn't want the extra work. I get that he's supposed to be complicated, but they really need to narrow down exactly what his problem is.

My thoughts on him.

He's a good cop, that has to do bad things, in a bad city, in order to survive.
Bullock has had to harden himself to the highest point possible.
He's not soft, he's just scared of what might happen to him, and those he cares about if he doesn't play ball with the villains. He does want achieve a good result, but knows he may not have the power to do so and this causes him to roll over if a villain tells him to do so. Being with Gordon, you can tell he really does want to do good and he didn't have to rescue him when he was captured in the Pilot. Gordon was causing problems for him and he could've washed his hands of it and crawled back into his position of forever being the scared cop doing bad **** for the bad people.
But Bullock probably sees in Gordon what he started out to be, a good cop trying to clean up a dirty city. And now, he's trying to drill into Gordon that there is no hope of achieving a better city and you do what the bad guy tells you, if you want to survive.
Bullock is satisfied with taking down the small fry, because he feels he's making some sort of difference. But you can tell he feels ashamed of having to play ball with the bigger scum. So, with the smaller element of criminal, he feels empowerment and has a chance to shed his frustrations.

When a big problem arises, he cowers away, because he's afraid of getting too involved and pissing off people in high places.

But in Gordon, as much as he tries to keep him in his rightful place in a criminal controlled city, deep down, he wants to see him bring the bad guys down and Bullock himself wants in on it. But it's his fear that holds him back and keeps him doing the dirty work.

Last edited:
Wasn't Harv crooked, at some point, in the comics? Or was that case where he was setup? I can't remember.

Harv comes across more like a...like a lazy Jack Bauer, or something. I mean, it's fascinating to see a Gotham City where, because it's pre-Batman, the Police are afraid of the gangs. They keep pointing out that there are no rules. I mean, for example look at Jim. Jim would love to report what's going on, but whose he going to report to? Who would listen? Who would even do anything, because the ones that can are already playing the game?

In a city like that, Harvey just seems like a realist whose playing the hand he's dealt, to me. Just a guy trying to survive in a den of wolves. He seems to have a really loose moral code, but there's one there. But, that's only in relation to the world he inhabits.

It's the funniest thing when someone speak about a character from fiction and say "the bullock I know...". Did you bring him to the restaurant as your date to know him so well?

The pre-crisis Bullock was as corrupt as you can get. The post crisis bullock is far from being a saint.

This Bullock is a different one. an interesting one. Logue is really great in the role. I'm interested in this take. It's different but entertaining. I want to see more of him.

Also, it's a great thing there is such a thing as character development in fiction...

I'm liking this particular version of Bullock, who is sort of in a morally gray territory, yet he is not a bad person, the way he acts is just his way of functioning in a corrupt City like Gotham.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"