Doubting the Ghost Rider Movie

Oh...my...****ing...lord. LOL

What the **** did he just say? I can't tell if he is serious or if he is acting ******ed to make fun of someone.

high316's profile said:
Birthday:
September 13, 1975 Biography:
i loved comics and movies Location:
mexico Interests:
internet tv and movies Occupation:
chairman of a company
Ok this cat is 29 years old and says his occupation is "chairman of a company" yet he can't spell if his life depended on it. What kind of real man, or human being in general, says their occupation is "chairman of a company".

His biography tells us he "loved" comics and movies. If it's in the past why even mention it?

The only excuse he has is he is from "mexico".

Weird ****. Actually here... "WWIRE
biggrin.gif
F..K"

NO.
Why is this Anti GR thread in the GR forum,it sounds like it belongs in the batman one:ghost:
How can you make judgements with no Info.
God a director makes a slight chanege and people go nuts without even seeing his vision in action.:rolleyes: :ghost:

OMG. What's happening? We just got this forum a day ago, and an argument has already started, about the dumbest things.

Man, if Mirko see's this, I don't think he'll be happy about it. Just take a chill pill, and calm yourselves and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Come on guys, we've been waiting for a Ghost Rider forum for a long time, and we finally got one, let's not be the ones to take it away with bullcrap arguments.

This is a thread that was started long ago... and a discussion that will go on from this day to the day the movie actually is realeased. It was resurfaced because we now have a forum to put it in.

This is a debate, not an argument.

This is not a MSJ bashing thread, so, if you want it, make it elsewhere.

First of all, let me tell that i´ve been more and more apprehensive with each comic book movie being made, because something in all of them don´t feel quite right, so, i can at least say that GH is the one i´m least concern about.
In fact, the only movies i´ve been completly at ease about was X2, SM2, Blade II Hellboy and Hulk, and now, the upcoming Batman Begins.
And X2, Blade II and SM2 were because i don´t usually become that much apprehensive over sequels.

Now, after saying this, one of the things i concern about this movie is the fact that is not R-Rated.
I agree with MSJ when he says that you don´t need gore and extreme violence in Ghost Rider, but you need it to be rated R.
C´Mon, the movie deals with pacts with the devil, demonic possession, the occult....it´s a very supernatural movie, or at least, it should be.
At alone makes the movie R-Rated.
And that all needs to be taken very seriously and adult, think The Exorcist and Poltergeist, but in a comic book way.
If it´s not taken seriously, it will be a little ridiculous.

I just don´t feel that Sony will want the movie to be that dark and serious..that makes me very unease, because the last thing Ghost Rider needs is to be an action/adventure movie.

There are more things about the movie that makes me apprehensive, but, for now, let´s deal with this...

There's nothing in the GHOST RIDER comics themselves that's beyond PG-13 material - as long as they're planning to use a little restraint in the adaptation to live action. It's not like HELLBLAZER for example, where certain comics depict graphic violence, sex and liberal use of the f-bomb. CONSTANTINE will be a watered-down version of HELLBLAZER to get its PG-13 rating. GHOST RIDER would have to accentuate the occult themes and violence of the comics to be rated R. It's a PG-13 comic.

POLTERGEIST was rated PG - before the PG-13 rating existed.

In other words, there's no real reason GHOST RIDER has to be rated R, unless the filmmakers want to limit a portion of their core audience from seeing it, thereby increasing the chance of not making their money back.

So, let me see if i got this straight....is your understanding that Ghost Rider should be a action/adventure movie?
And when i say action/adventure, i´m thinking Spider-Man or X-Men.

Ghost Rider is a movie dealing with demonic possessions, demons, pacts with the devil (Mephisto, in this case), the occult, the supernatural....all things that should be taken seriously, because, if you take this subjects lightly, the movie will be a little on the dumb side.

That´s why i feel that the R-Rated in needed, not because of gore, violence or the any other such thing, but because what i stated above makes automatically a movie to be R-Rated.

Isildur´s That´s why i feel that the R-Rated in needed said:
disagree w/ you there...just look at recent horror films lately. The Grudge, The Ring....shoot look at Spawn... all were PG 13...Spawn even deals w/ the subject of Hell, Demons and the Devil...didnt do a good job at it but it was there. The Grudge was something else too....that movie certainly wasnt made for 13 and younger....no way.
Even if they simply call the Devil "Mephisto" the audience will be smart enough to know who he is...you dont need to spell everything out for them.
as long as they dont use over the top human gore, profantiy, or nudity...they should be able to include all kinds of references to the supernatural.
maybe you might know this...but is there anything in the MPAA guidlines where if Satanism is mentioned or used in a film it would automatically give it a R rating?

Spawn is a piece of crap, so, let´s not even think about it.
I haven´t seen The Grudge yet, but, as you say, it should not be PG-13.

As for the MPAA to automatically rate a movie R because it deals with Satanism, i don´t know, but i believe that any movie that deals with the paranormal, supernatural, occult, demonic possession, demons, and alike, in a very dark and serious is R-Rated...not lightly.
Look at Poltergeist for example, it is R-Rated and deal with those issues in a very strong and serious way.
There isn´t any human gore, profantiy, or nudity, and it´s a R-rated just the same.
And the movie doesn´t have reference to Satanism and alike.

But, bottom line, i´ll be perfectly happy if they rate it PG-13 but make a very serious movie about all those issues, because to take lightly something like this kind of paranormal and supernatural will be a little on the dumb side....like Spawn, and no one wants another Spawn.

Spawn might be crap...but its important simply for the fact they deal w/ those hellish subjects and was still PG 13.

Poltergeist was initially rated R...but after the producers protested the MPAA backed down and gave it a PG....if there was a PG 13 rating back then they would have given it that. in fact i can remember that the reason why the rating of PG 13 came into existence was because of Poltergeist and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Poltergeist 2 and 3 were definately rated PG 13....you can check out IMDB.com if you want to be sure...look under Certification.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084516/

BIGGUN said:
Poltergeist was initially rated R...but after the producers protested the MPAA backed down and gave it a PG....if there was a PG 13 rating back then they would have given it that.[/url]

Absolutely correct. The point is, there's a lot of room within a PG-13 rating to work with the supernatural elements of GHOST RIDER, as long as graphic violence, language, etc., don't enter into things.

Isildur´s Heir said:
So, let me see if i got this straight....is your understanding that Ghost Rider should be a action/adventure movie?
And when i say action/adventure, i´m thinking Spider-Man or X-Men.[/url]

I think GHOST RIDER should have action and adventure in it. The comic books do. GR is essentially a super-hero with a horror slant. I don't see a direct comparison in content or tone to something like THE EXORCIST, even though both stories deal with possession.

GHOST RIDER should have the same dark tone as the BLADE films, IMO. Those could be PG-13 if the violence and language weren't amped up from the comics. Essentially, they're action/adventure films with a horror slant.

If you look at it, in the bit you quote, i describe what i feel as action/adventure in this case, something in the lines of Spider-Man and X-Men.

I don´t feel that the Ghost Rider should have that kind of tone when it comes to action/adventure, that´s why i compare it to The Exorcist, because i feel that is that kind of tone, darkness and seriousness that the movie needs when addressing this issues of the occult and paranormal.

Isildur´s Heir said:
If you look at it, in the bit you quote, i describe what i feel as action/adventure in this case, something in the lines of Spider-Man and X-Men.

Well, neither of those are pure action/adventure movies if you want to get down to it - like Raiders of the Lost Ark, or something. The X-Men films are sci-fi/action and the Spider-Man movies are straight-up superhero. Ghost Rider should be action/horror - similar to Blade. The Exorcist is not an action/horror film. It's pure horror. The problem with taking Ghost Rider as seriously as something like the Exorcist, is that the story involves a skeleton walking around in biker gear and driving a hell-cycle. These are not elements of pure horror.

You can certainly take the Ghost Rider character seriously, but you're not going to convice even the most willing of audiences that it's all "real." Ghost Rider is escapist fantasy stuff - as it should be.

By the nature of the character, I expect the film will have a darker tone than either Spider-Man or X-Men - though maybe not Daredevil. In the end, Ghost Rider is still based on a comic book and it still has elements of superhero in it. The movie wouldn't be true to the source material if it didn't follow suit.

dk said:
Well, neither of those are pure action/adventure movies if you want to get down to it - like Raiders of the Lost Ark, or something. The X-Men films are sci-fi/action and the Spider-Man movies are straight-up superhero. Ghost Rider should be action/horror - similar to Blade. The Exorcist is not an action/horror film. It's pure horror. The problem with taking Ghost Rider as seriously as something like the Exorcist, is that the story involves a skeleton walking around in biker gear and driving a hell-cycle. These are not elements of pure horror.
It all depends on what you want to make witht the movie.
If you could take the Hulk or the upcoming Batman Begins in a very serious and adult way, you take the Ghost Rider as well.
I find that, if you don´t try to take this issues seriously, the movie can end on the dumb side.

You can certainly take the Ghost Rider character seriously, but you're not going to convice even the most willing of audiences that it's all "real." Ghost Rider is escapist fantasy stuff - as it should be.
As much as you are not going to convince that a girl possessed by a demon is capable of levitate or turn her head all the way.
Or that in Poltergeist, a little girl can be abducted inside a TV, or that a tree can come to live and try to eat a kid.
But the movies are very serious and adult nontheless, it´s all in the way the thing is done and deal with.

By the nature of the character, I expect the film will have a darker tone than either Spider-Man or X-Men - though maybe not Daredevil. In the end, Ghost Rider is still based on a comic book and it still has elements of superhero in it. The movie wouldn't be true to the source material if it didn't follow suit.
But the thing is, i don´t think that Sony is going to take the movie as seriously as it should be.
As you state, it might not be as dark as Daredevil, when Ghost Rider should be much more darker than DD wildest dreams.

Bottom line is, i´m a big comic book fan and a amateur filmaker, so, is my understanding that comic book movies should be taken very seriuously....the more serious and adult possible, that´s why i love Hulk and i´m very hyped for the upcoming Batman Begins.
Hell, in some old issue of Wizard i read, by some writer or artist, that the word COMIC BOOKS might, something, fool some people because, when they see that, the first thing to cross their minds is that it is a very kiddy thing, when the thing is, since the 70´s, comic books are becoming more and more adult and serious.
If you look at the majority of comic books, the issues that matter, the issues that develop the character story are always dramatic and adult....you have, The Death of Gwen Stacy, Knightfall, The Killing Joke, The Death of Superman...just to name a very few of them, and not the 100th time that Spider-Man fights Venom.
But the thing is, the comic book format, the drawings and colors, make many people look at it as things for 10yr old boys.
Sure that the action and the thrills and the aventure and the excitement as to be there, because it´s inherent to the comic book movie, because they are superheros and supervillains, but that´s the beauty of it, to see the world through diferent eyes, from the perspective of not so normal people.

Now, after saying all this, is my understanding, that you need...you really need to take GR very seriously.
You have to get the audience to understand and, above all, feel that they are watching a man that made a pact with the devil (Mephisto, in this case) and his possessed by a demon.
You can´t make a movie about a guy that makes a pact with the devil as it is the most normal thing to do, and that to be possessed by a demon is a thing that happens on a daily basis.

There's a danger in taking comic book adaptations too seriously, I feel. Some would say HULK is an example that bears this theory out, though I like the film, personally. That's not to say all comic movies have to be treated as shlocky camp for small children and idiots like CATWOMAN was - there's middle ground to work with.

Bottom line: comics, and comic book heroes specifically, are meant to be escapist fantasy. They may touch on deeper or more adult themes from time-to-time, but they generally are not meant to be adult entertainment - not like the Exorcist is adult entertainment. Comic derived concepts generally appeal to all ages. Kids and teens like the characters, adults can get into the stories a bit, etc. It's an inclusive genre. I wouldn't want to see a Ghost Rider film that's so intense, kids under 17 have to stay away to avoid having nightmares about the devil. I think that would be missing the entire point of the comics, frankly.

GHOST RIDER was never a hardcore, Vertigo-style book. The original 70's comic was clearly aimed at kids and the 90's version was suitable for teens and young adults. Why harden the material up to Exorcist-levels? There's no reason to do it, other than to appease a minority group of fanboys who want to see blood and guts or explicit pacts with satan gone into in great detail. As I said, all this does is limit the audience. A bunch of people who would otherwise want to see GHOST RIDER won't be able to. So they'll wait to see it on video, or buy tickets to another movie and sneak in - both cases hurting the box office.

Hellboy was PG-13 as well, and there the main character was a demon from Hell and it included nazis partaking in occult rituals and more.

dk said:
There's a danger in taking comic book adaptations too seriously, I feel. Some would say HULK is an example that bears this theory out, though I like the film, personally. That's not to say all comic movies have to be treated as shlocky camp for small children and idiots like CATWOMAN was - there's middle ground to work with.
It all comes down to how look at it, but quite frankly, no comic book movie should be treated as shlocky camp for small children and idiots.
Many people may find Hulk boring, pretencious and s**t, but the real deal is that Ang Lee really understood what the Hulk was about....repressed feelings, a very psychological movie.
Now, the thing is, i came to the conclusion that a lot of the so called fans don´t even understand what the characters are about, all they care is the fights and special effects (and i don´t mean you, dk).
The most important thing when making a comic book is to understand the character and what is all about, that´s why i get very apprehensive about some of the movies, because i don´t get the notion that director understand it (not in the case of Ghost Rider), besides that it is a guy with powers and a suit.

Bottom line: comics, and comic book heroes specifically, are meant to be escapist fantasy. They may touch on deeper or more adult themes from time-to-time, but they generally are not meant to be adult entertainment - not like the Exorcist is adult entertainment. Comic derived concepts generally appeal to all ages. Kids and teens like the characters, adults can get into the stories a bit, etc. It's an inclusive genre. I wouldn't want to see a Ghost Rider film that's so intense, kids under 17 have to stay away to avoid having nightmares about the devil. I think that would be missing the entire point of the comics, frankly.
It´s not the fact that it should be adult entertainment, but rather that it should be taken seriously and adult.
Look at Hulk for example, you have a movie with a green monster destroying everything in his path, but you also have a very serious and adult movie about repressed feelings.
The thing is, you need to make a movie feel real, to actually believe that there is a guy that was bitten by a radioactive spider (for example), and for that, you need to take it seriously, to ask yourself, how would be world react and himself, if there was in fact a guy that could crawl up walls and swing around the city with home made webs.
How would people be world react if there was supervillains, that sort of thing, things that, in my opinion, are missing in almost all the comic book movies, except Hulk, X2 and Hellboy.
And those reactions need to feel real...i can´t explain it better than this.

GHOST RIDER was never a hardcore, Vertigo-style book. The original 70's comic was clearly aimed at kids and the 90's version was suitable for teens and young adults. Why harden the material up to Exorcist-levels? There's no reason to do it, other than to appease a minority group of fanboys who want to see blood and guts or explicit pacts with satan gone into in great detail. As I said, all this does is limit the audience. A bunch of people who would otherwise want to see GHOST RIDER won't be able to. So they'll wait to see it on video, or buy tickets to another movie and sneak in - both cases hurting the box office.
In the 70´s, everything was MU; now, Marvel is realizing that a lot of comic books are not suitable for kids, that´s why there is lines like MAX and Marvel Knights.
There isn´t none Ghost Rider series now, but there will be sooner or later, and i can positively say that it will be not be put on the MU, but rather MAX or MK.
And as it say in the Marvel site about MK

Marvel Knights books exist within the Marvel Universe, but spotlight its darkest corners and grittiest characters. Over the last five years, Knights has brought the comics world some of the most innovative creators, from Kevin Smith to Brian Bendis. But Knights is not for kiddies -- most Knights titles are meant for readers 15 and up.

BUt, even in the 90´s, Marvel realized that Ghost Rider needed to be diferent, more dark, more serious, less of an hero and more of a demon, that´s why Danny Ketch´s Ghost Rider is totally diferent from Blaze´s one.

Crowley9 said:
Hellboy was PG-13 as well, and there the main character was a demon from Hell and it included nazis partaking in occult rituals and more.
Hellboy and Ghost Rider are very diferent, you only have to read the books to get notion.
Hellboy is about how a demon can live as a human, and, in that issue, del Toro makes a hell of a job...Hellboy is a great movie, one of the best comic book movies.
The relationship of Hellboy and Liz is perfect, and in that department (and others), the movie is very serious.

But, even so, my only beef about the movie is that it could, not should because it is almost perfect, but it could have been a little darker in tone.

Does an R rating make something more adult? I think not. In fact, I've seen R rated movies that were quite childish and simply filled with gore. We need not have gore or sex in this movie... which is pretty much the only thing that'll give it an R.

This thread has gone around in circles. The same argument has been said over and over again. Each person caught in their own mindset, refusing to really understand what is being said be the other person. Just because you say something more than once, doesn't make it true.

I've been avoiding this thread as it's a fairly useless argument...but here I am. It's quite entertaining to read all the views on whether it should be PG13 or R. So far, everything that has been said is very true and quite understandable and can be achieved in both R or PG13.

I personally think PG 13 is fine for this movie. It'll be action/adventure/horror at it's best... without all the swearing, gore and sex. Sounds good to me.

You are right FlameHead, we are indeed going around in circles, that´s why i think that this thread is almost dead.

But, like i said in one of my first posts, i don´t mind one bit the PG-13, as long as they take those issues in a very serious and adult way.
If they can acchieve that with PG-13, that´s fine by me.
The only thing is, i don´t believe that Sony will go that way.

I'm not sure what you mean by an 'adult way'...

I'm sure the subject matter will not be Spidy-isd in anyway. This movie will not attract the same audience as Shrek or Spider-man does, you can be assure of that. There is no way that they'll target that audience.

Personally, I think they're going to take this as seriously (is that what you mean by adult?) as they did for the LOTR trilogy. We'll see a top notch adventure movie, I'm sure of it.

I had such high hopes when I saw the motorcycle and then the first poster pic. But then the trailer came out and it was awful! Anyone have the same experience? :down :(

Nope. Not me... and it's not the Trailer. It's the Comic Con footage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"