Edgar Wright Leaves Ant-Man!! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Ant-Man is a great, underrated character?

That's nice and all, but if Wright wasn't attached to this project do you think an Ant-Man project would have gotten greenlit over say Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel, etc??

Disney inherited this questionable project. I commend Feige for being so patient, but I would leery of this. Then to make matters worse if his slow pace was an issue I can see why they pulled the trigger.

A director who is willing to fit into Marvel's framework? Hmm....

clark_gregg.jpg

Although it may conflict with his TV show.

Heh.

But yeah, timing-wise, it wouldn't quite work out. It couldn't even start filming until March or April next year. Maybe it would work if they still had a December release, but not a summer one.

Heh.

Timing-wise, it wouldn't quite work out. It couldn't even start filming until March or April next year. Maybe it would work if they still had a December release, but not a summer one.

Yeah, timing would prevent it from happening. Too bad too, because he would probably be the type to fit the film into the vision of the MCU with the greatest of ease.

He would have been a nice option.

Maybe that's the case. Maybe not. My point is that up until this, there were all of these quality examples of artistic freedom as you say. Then Marvel and Wright part ways. Maybe it had nothing to do with artistic freedom, or maybe it did but Wright was the one being unreasonable. That could very well be the case, and while this individual film will likely be hurt, the future of the franchise will be fine. I'm just saying that I'm concerned that it might not be the case, and until we get more concrete confirmation, I'm going to remain slightly worried due to that lack of reassurance.

So you don't have enough information ..... but you're going to choose to be worried? Even after we just got an ecstatic James Gunn finishing up work on Marvel's most out-there concept?

Ok.

I had heard that Norton's departure had more to do with pay scale than artistic integrity. I also hadn't heard anything about why Favreau left, at leads nothing consistent.

Taylor's a good example, though. It sounds like the Thor 2 production was a general mess.

Everything I have read about Norton pointed to his frustration with IH being chopped to bits at the behest of then-chairman David Maisel, losing a large amount of material that he added to the script himself and considered essential. This is the first time I've seen the money issue suggested for Norton being let go.

Maybe that's the case. Maybe not. My point is that up until this, there were all of these quality examples of artistic freedom as you say. Then Marvel and Wright part ways. Maybe it had nothing to do with artistic freedom, or maybe it did but Wright was the one being unreasonable. That could very well be the case, and while this individual film will likely be hurt, the future of the franchise will be fine. I'm just saying that I'm concerned that it might not be the case, and until we get more concrete confirmation, I'm going to remain slightly worried due to that lack of reassurance.

Forget it, Question, your crime was even showing worry or doubt about anything Marvel Studios related, with even the vague implication that Marvel might have made a decision that was less than ideal. Rock Sexton has long been a Marvel homer who'll flip his lid at even the faintest of criticisms of the studio. I don't know of it's because he's on the payroll or because Kevin Feige is a beloved close family member who he is obligated to always defend, but whatever the reason, it seems like as far as a Rock is concerned, if you don't see everything associated with Marvel as wonderful and utopian - and by extension, if you don't see everything and everyone that disassociates with Marvel as the worst kind of garbage - you are by default a "hater."

That's nice and all, but if Wright wasn't attached to this project do you think an Ant-Man project would have gotten greenlit over say Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel, etc??

Disney inherited this questionable project. I commend Feige for being so patient, but I would leery of this. Then to make matters worse if his slow pace was an issue I can see why they pulled the trigger.

If GOTG got lit, the Marvel is at a point now where they're willing to take chances.

In Phase 1, absolutely not though.

With Cornish out due to his association with Wright and Clark Gregg out due to Agents of SHIELD (although he would still be the perfect option) I guess James Gunn?

So you don't have enough information ..... but you're going to choose to be worried? Even after we just got an ecstatic James Gunn finishing up work on Marvel's most out-there concept?

Ok.

Being worried isn't a choice. It's a natural reaction to a lack of information. I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying that I'm not going to assume anything, including assuming that everything's fine when a huge weird thing just happened, and I think some more information and reassurance would be nice.

It was a real pity that Malekith could not be more developed .

It's not even just Malekith. The whole movie suffered. I've grown to not like it .... and it disappoints me very much considering how much of a Thor fan I am and how excited I was for that movie.

Taylor screwed with the Shakespearian Techno-Vikings a little too much. Visually some things needed to be dirtied up, but he took it a little too far. At one point in the movie both Thor and Odin both lost their English accents and were suddenly speaking almost Welsch-like. The third act lacked serious stakes, muddled in Saturday afternoon cartoon-ish exploits.

cute. but that wasn't your initial statement.

With Cornish out due to his association with Wright and Clark Gregg out due to Agents of SHIELD (although he would still be the perfect option) I guess James Gunn?

James Gunn has outright said he won't take the job, saying it'd be like asking out his best friend's ex-girlfriend five minutes after they broke up. And I don't think I'd want him to take the gig - I'd rather see him do another GOTG film if that turns out to be as great as I hope it will.

Forget it, Question, your crime was even showing worry or doubt about anything Marvel Studios related, with even the vague implication that Marvel might have made a decision that was less than ideal. Rock Sexton has long been a Marvel homer who'll flip his lid at even the faintest of criticisms of the studio. I don't know of it's because he's on the payroll or because Kevin Feige is a beloved close family member who he is obligated to always defend, but whatever the reason, it seems like as far as a Rock is concerned, if you don't see everything associated with Marvel as wonderful and utopian - and by extension, if you don't see everything and everyone that disassociates with Marvel as the worst kind of garbage - you are by default a "hater."

Oh okay. That makes sense.

Maybe they go after one of the directors that had been rumored for Dr. Strange?

Being worried isn't a choice. It's a natural reaction to a lack of information. I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying that I'm not going to assume anything, including assuming that everything's fine when a huge weird thing just happened, and I think some more information and reassurance would be nice.

So you're not going to assume anything .... which means you shouldn't be worried. Yet you are.

Rock Sexton said:
Well he's a multi-faceted guy so I imagine he's doing both. I mean he's a branch off the Joss Whedon tree, so he's very talented.

I wish I could say, but promised I wouldn't. I can't imagine it's going to take very long. I assumed maybe towards the end of the summer is when the announcement will be made.
....Doctor Strange?

You're crazy man. My history with MCU movies is quite mixed. Apparently you didn't even read my T:TDW comments. Was never a fan of the original IM, nor CA.

I haven't even dragged this conversation into the depths of "hater". That's for 5 year olds.

You're crazy man. My history with MCU movies is quite mixed. Apparently you didn't even read my T:TDW comments. Was never a fan of the original IM, nor CA.

I haven't even dragged this conversation into the depths of "hater". That's for 5 year olds.

Okay. Then why do you think I hate the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Ok now that Wright's gone. What's the selling points to an Ant-Man film? Is he a covert spy? Is he fighting a super villain? These are questions my nephews are asking me and sadly have no answers.

James Gunn has outright said he won't take the job, saying it'd be like asking out his best friend's ex-girlfriend five minutes after they broke up. And I don't think I'd want him to take the gig - I'd rather see him do another GOTG film if that turns out to be as great as I hope it will.

Okay. I still think Clark Gregg would have been a good replacement if it wasn't for his show. He's directed movies before, so he knows what it takes to direct a film. He's also someone I could see (as a director) who could easily conform to Marvel's standards towards Ant Man due to his positive comments about the studio (basically how grateful he is to be a part of the MCU). Wright couldn't do it, but Gregg might have.

Worrying isn't an assumption. That's not how worrying works.

You're lacking facts. You have all these other previous examples of artistic liberties being taken and yet you're naturally worried because of this one incident?

That literally baffles the mind how you could rush to worry so quickly. How does this one film warrant sooooooo much worry about the rest of the MCU and it's relationship with Disney?

You're lacking facts. You have all these other previous examples of artistic liberties being taken and yet you're naturally worried because of this one incident?

That literally baffles the mind how you could rush to worry so quickly. How does this one film warrant sooooooo much worry about the rest of the MCU and it's relationship with Disney?

Because it's a break in the trend. A trend that was noteworthy in the first place because it's so atypical of how movies like this are usually made. Wether or not this will become the new trend or if they're go back to the old trend is a legitimate concern that has not yet been addressed.

Because it's a break in the trend. Wether or not this will become the new trend or if they're go back to the old trend is a legitimate concern that has not yet been addressed.

How is it legitimate? Because Wright left the film and his vision doesn't fit the framework of a Disney/MCU movie?

Man, James Gunn spelled this whole thing out for you. Go back and re-read his comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"